Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: *~Pets Corner!~*
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 
Not to be confused with elbow

Well, since I decided to go mad on the other thread I thought I'd better make a topic all on it's own about pets!

So...who's got what? Or wants what?

2 cats, 1 kitten

Smokey-British Blue, Female, Silver/blue(cat)
Sooty-Bombay cross, Female, Black(cat)
Bandit-Black and white shorthair, Male...Black and white oddly enough! (Kitten)

Post subject: Re: *~Pets Corner!~*
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:04 

I want one of these:

But they're too aggressive really to be kept domestically unless you're very experienced with tarantulas, so I'll have to settle for this:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:07 
making out to faces of death

I'm guessing that someone has The Fear of spidders, and someone else saw a great excuse to post Giant Photos Of Spidders. :DD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:09 

No, I genuinely do want a tarantula as a pet. They're very misunderstood creatures.

Plus, I defy anyone to tell me that that Cobalt Blue up there just isn't one of the most beautiful creatures they've ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:11 

If I was going to get a giant hairy spidder as a chum, I'd certainly go for a snazzy blue one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:11 

That just isn't one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:13 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

That blue spider isn't neon enough for me.
Additionally: cats are shit. Go away cats. Booooo cats.
Some other animals are cool though, like Giraffeees.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:16 
Time Out for Fun

Pod wrote:
That blue spider isn't neon enough for me.
Additionally: cats are shit. Go away cats. Booooo cats.
Some other animals are cool though, like Giraffeees.

boo cats are excellent.

Ive got a silver and black tabby, hes fucking huge and called max.
Me mam's also got a 5 foot tall metal silver and black giraffe.

Ill post up a picture later on of both.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:18 

So...now that I'm newly single-

Seriously though, they are fucking horrible! I had bile in my throat at those pictures! You can't cuddle that!! My cousin had a red kneed one and I literally *not proud of this* pee'd a bit when he brought in near me!!

Pod!! They are so not, they are ace creatures cats are :p

Not replying to you now on facebook *ZOMBIE ATTACK!*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:23 

markg wrote:
That just isn't one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen.

You have no soul.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That blue tarantula is amazing.

I have one cat. And a wife. And 20-odd fish.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:37 

I just don't like the hair on the bigger spiders. It's okay if it's contained in it's tank and stuff, but if it's out near me I'll have a heart attack!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:48 

We appear to have a cat that belongs to another house that likes to pop in from time to time. He/she is a very nice cat, and I usually wouldn't mind, except as you all know I own two rats...
Attachment:
n&n.jpg

The white one is Noodle, the brown hooded one is Nibbler. They're both girls and have just had their first birthday. Sadly, this also means they're about a third of the way through their lives. As anyone who's owned rats could tell you, they're surprisingly intelligent creatures and have bags of personality. Neither are especially keen on being handled or stroked, but Noodle is by far the friendliest and most outgoing and will happily wander up to people to see what's up. She's also the amateur gymnast of the pair and whenever she's let out of the cage spends her time trying to climb my bookshelf or the clothes hanging in my wardrobe, constantly trying to get as high as she dare. She's also a kleptomaniac and keeps nicking sweet wrappers or anything shiny and hiding them - currently I'm mising an entire pack of Polos thanks to her. She also hides all the food in the cage and when not running around going mental is usually fast asleep in her hammock.

Nibbler is the exact opposite. She's very wary of everybody and has a bit of an 'attack first, ask questions later' policy. For some reason she's taken to trying to bite me whenever I try and pick her up, but once grabbed she usually calms down. She jumps at the slightest noise (my brother brought round Rock Band the other day - she wasn't keen) and rather than hide food, she just eats it straight away. Since she also doesn't get anything like the exercise Noodle does, she's twice the size. Whilst she must presumably sleep sometimes, I've never seen her with her eyes shut, unlike her sister who doesn't give a shit when she wants a kip.

My mum and dad also owned a house rabbit until recently, who lived to the grand age of 11, which ain't bad going for a bunny.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 13:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

We have a few other cats that like to hover around. Unfortunately my cat is massively antisocial, and will fight with/cower in terror from all other cats.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:00 
Goth

1 Cat currently.

She's called Lamia (named after a character from Star Fleet/X Bomber. She's beautiful but deadly. She's about 17 now. The picture is quite old though. She's still as beautiful though (apart from a little matted fur toward her rear)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/280 ... e16b_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/280 ... f7f1_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/280 ... ceda_o.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:04 
baron of techno

Craster wrote:
We have a few other cats that like to hover around.

HOVERCAT?

/tries to remember if haz photoshop installed at home..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:06 

kalmar wrote:
Craster wrote:
We have a few other cats that like to hover around.

HOVERCAT?

/tries to remember if haz photoshop installed at home..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:12 
Peculiar, yet lovely

GazChap wrote:
No, I genuinely do want a tarantula as a pet. They're very misunderstood creatures.

It does look rather funky. 80s disco spider is a unique look.

Last I read (in the late 90s), there's never been a documented case of death by tarantula bite. The only people who've been killed by them were allergic to the hairs, which they sometimes rub out into the air as an irritating deterrant to predators.

Now, somebody please prove another of my sources embarassingly wrong, ta.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:16 
Best
Board Mother

1 hamster
4 kids
Half of next doors cat - but she keeps going after the hamster and is a sponge thief so gets chucked out these days.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:22 

No, you're right. Tarantula bites are painful, certainly, but they're not dangerous. There are many spiders that are mistakenly called tarantulas that ARE dangerous, but a true tarantula is not venomous to humans.

If you're allergic to one of the proteins in their venom that can be a problem, but that's not really the spider's fault as the proteins are generally common ones.

The main thing you have to be worried about with tarantulas are the urticating hairs that they have on their legs and abdomen - they flick these off their bodies at high speed as a defense mechanism and if you get some in your eye or are unfortunate enough to inhale them it can cause serious damage. That only applies to non-Asian tarantulas though, they don't have those hairs.

They're also very fragile creatures - the chances are that they will not survive a fall of more than 1.5x their legspan. Unlike most creatures, each one has a unique personality - some are aggressive, others aren't. The cobalt blue ones like the one I posted are Asian and (as they don't have the defense hairs) are more aggressive biters, but even then you sometimes come across one that's docile enough to hand-hold.

I love 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:24 

GazChap wrote:
No, you're right. Tarantula bites are painful, certainly, but they're not dangerous. There are many spiders that are mistakenly called tarantulas that ARE dangerous, but a true tarantula is not venomous to humans.

If you're allergic to one of the proteins in their venom that can be a problem, but that's not really the spider's fault as the proteins are generally common ones.

The main thing you have to be worried about with tarantulas are the urdiculating (I think that's how you spell it) hairs that they have on their legs and abdomen - they flick these off their bodies at high speed as a defense mechanism and if you get some in your eye or are unfortunate enough to inhale them it can cause serious damage. That only applies to non-Asian tarantulas though, they don't have those hairs.

They're also very fragile creatures - the chances are that they will not survive a fall of more than 1.5x their legspan. Unlike most creatures, each one has a unique personality - some are aggressive, others aren't. The cobalt blue ones like the one I posted are Asian and (as they don't have the defense hairs) are more aggressive biters, but even then you sometimes come across one that's docile enough to hand-hold.

I love 'em.

I'm not getting you one for your birthday, I know I asked what you wanted...but no

You can have one of these though ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:25 

GazChap wrote:

The main thing you have to be worried about with tarantulas are the urticating hairs that they have on their legs and abdomen - they flick these off their bodies at high speed as a defense mechanism and if you get some in your eye or are unfortunate enough to inhale them it can cause serious damage. That only applies to non-Asian tarantulas though, they don't have those hairs.

I love 'em.

I find them fascinating but I don't think I'd ever want one as a pet. I don't care if it couldn't kill me, if one of those sank it's fangs into my hand I'd uncontrollably fucking freak. I've been bitten by a big garden spider and that was bad enough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:40 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Yeah, I heard they are sometimes killed by panicky idiots dropping them. Their abdomen tend to split, if I remember. Can't be a pleasant way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:44 

I used to work with a girl whose mother bred tarantulas and would have as many as 150 in the house at any given time. Unsurprisingly, I never went round there for tea. I didn't realise they were so fragile though - it's a good job rats are a bit more robust as Noodle would've killed herself long before now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 14:45 

sinister agent wrote:
Yeah, I heard they are sometimes killed by panicky idiots dropping them. Their abdomen tend to split, if I remember. Can't be a pleasant way to go.

Yup, that's right. There was a "wildlife guy" in my town the other day doing a show for little kids in the town square. You know the type, lots of snakes and other exotic wildlife that the kids can see and touch.

Well, he had tarantulas there. When they weren't being handled by him, they were being handled by the kids and I cringed inside thinking how many of them (the spiders, that is) were probably scared out of their wits at all the attention, and how many the kids accidentally dropped on to the table/floor.

When they weren't being handled by anyone, they were put back into tupperware containers about the size of a normal slice of bread (except about 2 inches thick, obv.) and I can't imagine that's very nice for the little blighters either, they need space.

Gnnnngh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 15:14 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Yeah, I vaguely remember the sort. The hissing cockroaches were ace. They had a huge tanker for them, though. I can't remember the rest of what he brought, but I'd have thought if the roaches had all that space, the spids must have too. I hope so, as that does sound horrid otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 15:17 

I miss having birds. Our Golden Rozella (I think that's how it's spelt) was amazing! He knew loads of words, I prefer them over Minor birds (or is it Miner?) as they are nicer looking :) aesthetics and all.

He swore at the vicar woman-thingyamibob when she came round to discuss my nan's funeral arrangements...god bless Dovey. He used to be in a massive cage with 4 budgies and used to imitate them. We couldn't take them when we moved round to Devon as the move would have probably killed them :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 15:59 
That Rev Chap

We have a cat called Tesla (aka Tess and Mr/Miss Kittles). She only responds to Kittles. She's a tabby with white beard, white belly and white paws. She is very pretty, cute and small. She's one year and two months old. She's not very bright. She has recently developed a new miaow that is impossible to ignore/sleep through.

She's great. Unlike most cats I've known she doesn't get affectionate when she wants food. Instead she gets loud and nips at your feet as you walk past the kitchen. Which is great, because it means when she is affectionate it's not because she wants feeding.

In the mornings she often likes to lie on me for a bit, then push her way under the duvet and sleep between or on my legs for ten minutes or so.

She is not very good at catching flies, but likes to try very hard.

She's a biter when we're playing, but doesn't bite hard enough to hurt or leave marks. She's very good like that. For some reason she likes to get my thumb and then hold it in her mouth for a few seconds.

Sometimes she won't have a poo unless I take the lid off the litter tray and sit down by it. I have no idea why that is. She'll hang around her litter tray and miaow until I come and sit there. Weirdo. And that's just for me - she won't poo if my wife's there. It has to be me. Most of the time she'll poo okay on her own, but sometimes I just have to be there.

She's not a lap cat, but she likes to sleep somewhere where she can see us. Either on her bed by the sofa or on the stairs. If one of us is downstairs and the other upstairs she'll often get very confused about where she wants to be and will hang around the stairs miaowing and fretting.

She loves Marmite, but she's only allowed Marmite-flavoured foods in tiny, tiny quantities - like a tiny piece broken off the end of a breadstick. I don't want her getting an upset tummy. (Though when she does get one, a couple of days of boiled chicken and rice sorts her out.)

She has special miaow for when she wants some cat milk, which sounds exactly like the word "milk". But that's the only useful thing she can say.

She loves being bags and boxes of all kinds.

She will eat any random crap she finds on the floor. Also: the tails of cat toys. Also: my hair. We haven't had to pull string out of her bottom for a few months now, but when she was younger it was quite a common occurrence.

She has developed an annoying habit of jumping up in front of the TV and obscuring the screen as soon as she hears the 360 coming on. She'll run from wherever she is in the house once the fans come on. She also loves disc trays. She'll try and get the disc out of the tray as it slides into the machine and sometimes succeeds.

She's also very responsive to moods. When one of us is feeling down she won't go into crackhead mode and will instead come and be very affectionate and calm. When my wife's feeling ill or otherwise out of sorts is about the only time she'll actually be a lap cat.

I've had other cats, but she's the one I've loved most. There's something about her - silly, stupid, oddly clever at times, cute as all hell and often a complete blur of batshit insanity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 17:03 

GOING TO PETS AT HOME TONIGHT!!

Hate the staff, love the animals ;)

My kitties need new igloo poop boxes ^.^ Bandit ate the door hinge off one 0_o; sometimes he scares me...

I must resist the urge to buy pets *talks to herself* nopetsnopetsnoincrediblycutepetsnofluffywuffypetsnopets!
Plus Gaz may shoot me if one pooped in the car ^_~*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 17:41 

Or scraped down the side like last time. He still thinks that was another car...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:44 
Gogmagog

I've never quite understood why people have pets. It seems to be a massively selfish thing to do. Purchase an animal that is so inbred it has major genetic defects that will cause it ill health whose sole purpose in life is to provide the owner with pleasure and it depends upon the owner for food, warmth, shelter and its own health.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:55 

Eh?

Domestic cats have evolved to have a symbiotic relationship with humans, as have dogs. It's a two way thing. We get companionship and rid of small vermin and they get fed, it's hardly abusive.

It's only some that are inbred but I agree that it's a fucking travesty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:57 
Gogmagog

Justify it anyway you want to, slaver.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:58 
That Rev Chap

MaliA wrote:
I've never quite understood why people have pets. It seems to be a massively selfish thing to do. Purchase an animal that is so inbred it has major genetic defects that will cause it ill health

Surely that's only a problem with pedigree animals and not your normal moggy or mutt?

MaliA wrote:
whose sole purpose in life is to provide the owner with pleasure and it depends upon the owner for food, warmth, shelter and its own health.

I think you're missing the point that one of the great joys of pet ownership is knowing that an animal in your care is happy and healthy because of you. Pets that are being kept properly are family members, not prostitutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 
Gogmagog

Quote:
one of the great joys of pet ownership is knowing that an animal in your care is happy and healthy because of you

So they are totally reliant on you, for everything. Without you, they get ill, and die.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:03 

MaliA wrote:
Justify it anyway you want to, slaver.

:)

I know I'm such a bastard. My cats are right now thanklessly toiling away at their sleeping chores, later they'll have to do eating and after that they'll have to fuck off outside and shit in the neighbour's garden for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

My cat is more than free to walk away and live its own life at any point. My fish less so, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:05 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
My cat is more than free to walk away and live its own life at any point.

Except that it's been so softened by being domesticated that it'd get eaten by a squirrel before it got to the end of the road.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:
My cat is more than free to walk away and live its own life at any point.

Except that it's been so softened by being domesticated that it'd get eaten by a squirrel before it got to the end of the road.

Of course - because it chooses to stay where it's looked after. It'd be no different to me stripping down to codpiece and boots and attempting to rough it in the wilds of Epping Forest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 

Not sure where you're getting inbreeding from, that's only common on pedigree animals generally.

And the rest describes kids pretty much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dudley wrote:
And the rest describes kids pretty much.

:luv:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:11 

My rats, next door's dog, and 'The Cat From Down The Road The Keeps Coming In Our House', all being fed and sheltered by humans, all seem a damn sight happier that that wild fox that I keep seeing in our street at night, the poor scrawny flea bucket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:25 
INFINITE POWAH

Zio wrote:
My rats, next door's dog, and 'The Cat From Down The Road The Keeps Coming In Our House', all being fed and sheltered by humans, all seem a damn sight happier that that wild fox that I keep seeing in our street at night, the poor scrawny flea bucket.

But that's an urban fox though, innit. The rural foxes are happy and sleek and healthy.

You get the same difference between people in London and people in the Cotswolds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ahahhahhahaaaa.

You just called me scrawny.

Ahahhhahaahaaaahahhhhahahahhaaa!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Chris wrote:
But that's an urban fox though, innit.

This is a Fox Urban.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 

Mr Chris wrote:
The rural foxes are happy and sleek and healthy.

Yeah, right up until the time that some cunt sets fire to them >:|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:36 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
The rural foxes are happy and sleek and healthy.

Yeah, right up until the time that some cunt sets fire to them >:|

We are now happily co-existing with ours.

It's one of the local cats that's setting itself up for a napalming this time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 

I'm surprised the cats would go anywhere near with foxes around.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:40 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
I'm surprised the cats would go anywhere near with foxes around.
Yeah, me too. Still, the cats seem to wander around in the early evening and the foxes, when they occasionally come down (which is much less frequent now the bin men are taking bin bags out of our bins rather than making us leave bags out loose), come down the hill in the early hours of the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:04 

My aunt and uncle got their dog from a rescue pound place. He was timid (not too small, though- there's some doberman in his mutty genes) and they think had been poorly treated.

He has a happy life now, with a family that care for him. He's enthusiastic and full of beans. As much as "eww no licky face!" can be annoying. I don't think they're selfish.

Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next