Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hardtack & Coffee
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:50 

It was a fun event and there were only two showers. Ground was not as churned up as I feared it would be. A good variety of periods were represented, and as ever I enjoyed watching the Anglo-Saxon and other close combat groups fight it out in the arena (when I wasn't at my stand). The Roman re-enactors looked as brilliant as they always do.

Had a fair few public drop by and chat, which was great. We were right next to a TA recruiting stand, and my musket looked a bit puny compared to the 30cal machine gun they'd set up and their SA80. Had an interesting chat with some combat medics.

Sadly I felt really exhausted by the end of the day, and decided to go home as I didn't feel up to camping out and doing a second day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 

In case anyone's near Croydon on Saturday, me and my pards are doing a living history display at the Old Coulsdon Village Fair, at Grange Park. No firing, alas, but there should one or two drill displays in the arena.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why no firing?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 15:32 

For what I heard, the fair organisers were afraid it would disrupt some of the animal shows. I think the arena we paraded in would have been slightly too small too. Plus side, don't have to clean the musket.

But if we go back next year, they might let us. We were a big draw, and were kept busy all day. Maybe got one or two people interested in signing up, who knows?

I was glad I hadn't forgotten drill either, despite not being in line for over a year!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 

I'm finally able to make a re-enactment this year! I'm taking part in a multi-period at Spetchley Park in Worchestershire. Not sure how big the event is as I'm going as a guest of another ACW organisation, but should be fun. I'll be glad to be back in line and burning powder again.

Details: http://m5show.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 22:57 

I'm doing living history stuff at the 'Stars and Stripes' weekend at the former RAF Burtonwood base near Warrington (and part of the Gulliver's theme park as far as I can tell ).

Come along if you're around and ask me about Loom ('the American Civil War, shurely'-Ed.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 21:18 

Attachment:
Warrington.jpg

When I farb out, I do it in style.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 22:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What's that gun, Kern?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:13 

Er... a 1940s machine gun? The row of cartridges in the magazine looked pretty nasty.

Some WW2 US re-enactors let us clamber onto their scout car. There was a larger machine gun at the front of the vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 

150th Bentonville was amazing! Full AAR to follow (someday) but suffice to say I had a great time, was pushed harder than I am used to, and am still recovering from it all.

9 mile march; camping in the open; digging trenches with my plate then manning them as the rebel lines kept on advancing; c. 3000 participants and a 2:1 Reb advantage;and all on the original ground. Loved it.

Iowa! 40 Rounds!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 13:35 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

9 mile march?? I thought this was supposed to be fun!!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 20:03 

We were promised a 7 mile trek, but it turned out to be 9.8 miles. Never trust a sergeant! :) We were following, roughly, the route taken by the 10th Iowa. Stepping off at 6 AM in the dark and seeing only the silhouettes of the regiment and the flags was magical.

Couple of videos for you:

Taken by a civilian whose house we didn't burn down, somewhere enroute:

My company were the fifth in the column, so quite near the back.

Arriving to the campsite (sinister Facebook link) at the end.

link

My company appear around 2:10 - I think I can see my hat :)

I've come across a whole load of photos here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 20:08 

I didn't take any photos myself but did get a tintype done:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 

My right arm is still aching from the weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 
Awesome
Yes

Kern wrote:
My right arm is still aching from the weekend!

Lonely?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 

Kern wrote:

The Mirror: "Cow rape row for BBC 4 drama 1864 as director defends beastiality scenes as 'historically accurate'"

Yeah, wouldn't like any farby bovine-love.

Coming at the end of May, apparently.

Still excited.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 

Saw the first two last night. It's very well done and beautifully shot: highly recommended. Even the framing device works, although I was a little sceptical about it at first.

BBC link

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Not sure that the cow thing was critical for the plot, but country ways are a mystery to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 22:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Were you at Waterloo, Kern? My mum was there being a vet, but she still had to dress up. 400 horses!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:19 

Sadly not: I've been hiking in Scotland instead.
I know a few people who went over for it: looking forward to seeing the pictures and hearing their tales.

What did your mum make of it ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

She spent much of the day hiding behind the tents reading her book :) She also told the Duke of Wellington to "give her a leg up, man" when she stole a horse* so she could ride down to the field when the vets were called but sadly the horse that she was being called to look at was already dead.

A person died too, and a few others were set on fire, which seems mightily crazy.

* "a fucking giraffe of a thing that had never had a day of schooling in its life", apparently. She was more impressed with the way it jumped a fence so they could take a shortcut - as was its owner, who told her when she gave it back that it hadn't been jumped before :S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 

Someone *actually* died for real, others were set on fire & a horse also died? Seriously?

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 

With that number of participants, it's probable that accidents might happen. Question of whether they were accidents or the result of lax safety procedures within their groups.

Grim... wrote:
She also told the Duke of Wellington to "give her a leg up, man" when she stole a horse*S

Heh. Re-enacting's great for surreal moments like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:10 

So it's accurate then? Blimey. :o

Don't want to come across as all Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells here :D , but on the face of it, I'd have to be concerned about animals getting killed over this. To my mind, people have the ability to weigh up their own personal risk assessments as long as they're made aware of the likely hazards beforehand and have the correct training and information etc. (I suppose thrill sports are of a similar vein, at least to my eyes), but it's not like horses etc. get a choice in the matter. Doubtless quite a few could also be distressed by battle scenes, explosions and stuff?

(I realise, of course, that horses routinely die in horse racing events, Grand National etc., but then I don't agree with that either).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:19 

I don't do cavalry but from what I'm aware of the horses have to be specially trained to tolerate the sound of gun fire and cannons etc, very much like police horses. I remember my platoon once being asked to form up at attention whilst a new horse was led up to us and examined us all over to start recognising things (unless that was an elaborate prank).

I've seen horses bolt and run before, and once had an argument mid-display with a sergeant about continuing to fire with animals approaching (well, I say 'argument' but it was more like me saying words to the effect of 'no I won't, please go and commit an anatomical impossibility' and didn't).

I would hope that a good horseman would take very good care of their animals and not involve them in something they couldn't tolerate as they would have to spend a lot to equip, train, and tranport them. The large cavalry battles I've seen in the US were very impressive.

Course, the whole point of being a cavalryman is to look pretty and prance about in front of female members of the public :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 

Fair enough Kern. :)
I know absolutely nothing on this subject; was just a bit surprised by Grim...'s revelations.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The horse died of sunstroke - it was properly hot.

Apparently the person who died had a heart attack on their way to hospital after suffering burns from a leaking pyrotechnic flamethrowing thing.

The event has had good coverage on the news if you'd like to search for it, and apparently Mrs. Grim... snr had her photo in the Daily Mail (spit) on Saturday.

As for it not being fair on the animals, maybe so - but bear in mind that if they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:07 

I've stayed out of the recent uproar amongst the colonials over the use of the Confederate battle flag*, other than to answer questions from colleagues and as a helpful way for identifing people to unfollow or defriend on sinister Facebook . But news that South Carolina has voted to remove it from the statehouse is the right decision and a step forward for that state's attempts to grapple with their past.

My view is quite simple: use in the historical context, say at a museum, a re-enactment, or even next to a war memoral is fine, otherwise I don't like seeing it.

*Vexillological errors are unforgiveable, frankly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I was with them right up until Dukes of Hazzard reruns got pulled.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:11 

Grim... wrote:
I was with them right up until Dukes of Hazzard reruns got pulled.

That too. And the desecration of one of the coolest cars ever was even worse.

Don't care much for over-the-top reactions either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 13:04 
Paws for thought

It's interesting to note the differences between Germanys treatment of their old flag to that of the confederate states (and similar non-flag postwar issues), and the consequent effects this has seemed to have.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 13:21 

Mr Dave wrote:
It's interesting to note the differences between Germanys treatment of their old flag to that of the confederate states (and similar non-flag postwar issues), and the consequent effects this has seemed to have.

Aye. How the war is remembered, and how American and, especially, Southern identity is shaped by it, can be just as fascinating as the events themselves.

Germany is a good comparator, because after the war, (especially in the former West Germany - the GDR considered itself born without sin) a lot of effort and pressure was put to admit the crimes of the past.

In the former south, after the Reconstruction period ended in the 1870s, the old order more or less reasserted itself and remained in control until the civil rights movement.

If you are interested in such things, the CW Memory blog often has interesting posts on this topic. I really recommend the Horowitz book ('Confederates in the attic') that got me into this period too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 19:24 
Best
Board Mother

Grim..., I think it's time we met your Mum. Can she come to the BBQ please?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I'm pretty sure she turned up on Sunday morning last year.

Anyway, she can't come. Who'd look after the Grimlet?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 23:03 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I'm pretty sure she turned up on Sunday morning last year.

Anyway, she can't come. Who'd look after the Grimlet?

Your Dad? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:59 

Kern wrote:
My view is quite simple: use in the historical context, say at a museum, a re-enactment, or even next to a war memoral is fine, otherwise I don't like seeing it.

Relatedly, people are campaigning to remove statues of Cecil Rhodes here in Oxford. Yes, Rhodes was a nasty little shit. But so were most of the university's donors over the past 800 years. People aren't waving statues of him as an incitement or provocation, and the things are in the historical context. Unless you know where the statue is and who he is, you're likely to pass straight by it, and he's part of the town's history, for good or ill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 23:32 
Excellent Member

Heads up, y'all, but I may be having that US Civil War exhibition this year as part of Diffusion's 'Looking for America' photography festival here in Cardiff. I'm in talks and should know more by the time of the BeexBQ, hopefully. :)

Kern, if it goes ahead feel free to have some crash space and a great quantity of free beer if you'd like to attend the opening night at the start of October. I'll have a book for you too.

Man, there'll be a hell of a lot to do to prep it, and it'll cost me a fair whack in the end... but exhibition!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 23:36 
Excellent Member

Oh, forgot to say, I'm kind of hooked on this:

http://civilwarpodcast.org/

I'm 30 episodes in and it is really rather good. Well worth listening to, each episode is half an hour long and it is both easy to follow and very entertaining. Bonus points for the husband-wife team who host it, as the man sounds just like the dude from Portlandia, and so now I imagine it's them two from the top hipster-mocking TV show.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:58 

NervousPete wrote:
Heads up, y'all, but I may be having that US Civil War exhibition this year as part of Diffusion's 'Looking for America' photography festival here in Cardiff. I'm in talks and should know more by the time of the BeexBQ, hopefully. :)

Excellent stuff!

I'll check out that podcast too. Looking at the episode list, it seems they cover a lot of ground.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:49 
Participant in dramatic games

kern, just wanted to mention that dutch radio programme OVT (onvoltooid verleden tijd, simple past tense) made a show on the first negro battalion in the civil war..

you an listen to it here, it is of course in dutch, but the interview are in english so still thought you might like it

http://www.npogeschiedenis.nl/speler.RB ... 76316.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:54 

Thanks, will check it out later. Always interested in stuff about the USCT althogh sadly I don't think I've ever met any re-enactors of them when I've been over alas (though I'm aware some do exist)

'Glory' is one of the best war films ever made. I've watched it several times and still get emotional over it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:56 

NervousPete wrote:

Kern, if it goes ahead feel free to have some crash space and a great quantity of free beer if you'd like to attend the opening night at the start of October. I'll have a book for you too.

Man, there'll be a hell of a lot to do to prep it, and it'll cost me a fair whack in the end... but exhibition!

Opening night tonight! Congratulations Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:12 

Being thinking very hard lately about whether it's time to hang up the musket for good. I'm finding it hard to explain this sense of ennui with the hobby (at least in ways that don't sound harsh on people I consider my friends), but at the moment it feels like I've taken it as far as I can. Might just go to one or two events once the season starts in the spring and see if that is sufficient to change my mind, although the ones I went to last year didn't help me regainmy enthusiasm. And if I do retire, I'm only going to have to find a new outdoorsy hobby to occupy my weekends and I still don't want to return to Scouting just yet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:13 
UltraMod

That's a shame, but you should only really do something if you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:19 
Paws for thought

Kern wrote:
And if I do retire, I'm only going to have to find a new outdoorsy hobby to occupy my weekends and I still don't want to return to Scouting just yet.

Well the answer is obvious:Real life Malicool simulator.

You too can reyreat to some strange parallel universe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LARP, innit?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 

Dear god, no.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:23 
Paws for thought

:D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 
Paws for thought

Incidentally, my nose still occasionally hurts after "be"ing, Mali last year.

Thinking about it, I don't recommend Mali LARPing or Mali Cosplay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 
Gogmagog

You mean "when I think of Mali, my nose twitches".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 13:00 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
You mean "when I think of Mali, my nose twitches".

You don't smell that bad, mate.

Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next