Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'NAY!' Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 17:13 
Unpossible!

He's just a chef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 19:39 
Hello Hello Hello

A gigabyte of RAM should do the trick!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 14:44 

I don't even know if this is a real NAY or just me being mental (which I guess may be a nay in itself) but I just had a bit of a brain sin. Not quite sure what happened, but I was liteningto the radio (Absolute Radio 70s, there is no shame) and Art Garfunkel came on singing Bright Eyes. I gave myself a moment to just listen to the song and have a few quiet moments. My colleague asked if I was OK, and I said yes, I was just listening to this song. She asked what the song was, and as it had just finished she asked me to sing it to her (a trick that is played a few times a day, for the lols).

I did so, she didn't know it. I asked if she had seen Watership Down. No. So i described teh plot, and the scene withthe song. Then the bit with Hazel saying he was tired, and then I just lost it. My brain just thought it would be a fantastic idea for me to have a mini break don just then. I burst out crying. not a bit teary, just full on crying everywhere. then the head of department came back in and asked what was wrong, so I had to leave and had a big cry outside.

Now I look like a mentalist and I think everyone is avoiding looking at me, and I feel miserable and stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 14:49 

You should make her watch Watership Down, that'll learn her.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 14:53 
Decapodian

markg wrote:
You should make her watch Watership Down, that'll learn her.

Yep, one of the most traumatic films ever to be made under the pretence of entertaining children.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 14:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

There is *NO* stigma attached to crying or freaking out to Watership Down. It's merely proof that you're a human.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:05 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I just need to sing, "Bright eyes ...," to my sister and it makes her cry. Could be my singing though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Now I've got Total Eclipse of the Heart in my head. Damnit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:31 

As silly as I am sure it seems, I think it's something that's affecting me in teh background. the head of dept came back in, said it was good to see me looking more myself, I explained what happened, we had a bit of a iggle and agreed it was a very emotional film...

But really I think work is getting to me a bit and my stupid brain thought that it saw a legitimate outlet and something that it was 'allowed' to get upset at as I wasn't guarded against it and then all the other repressed things spilled out a bit.

I'm back at my desk, but I don't feel good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 15:51 
Gogmagog

Just thinking about the end makes me get dust in my eye.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 19:36 
Excellent Member

There's no shame in crying, Mimi. There's a bit in Porco Rosso when Porco talks about fighting in the Italian airforce in WWI and how he finds himself on a cloud plain, a vast expanse of calm white infinite and above a ribbon of glittering stars passing overhead. He looks closer, and the ribbon is made of the fighter planes of all nations and of a sudden, around him, silently, more craft float up past him - the German and Italian slumped dead and peaceful in their seats - and rise up to join that great dead parade. He sees his best friend and tears at the controls to try and join him but no, it is not his time, and he sinks back down below the cloud.

It's probably one of the most shatteringly beautiful and potent sequences I've ever seen in cinema. And it still makes me cry everytime I see it. ?:|

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:17 
Best
Board Mother

Meems it's been a tough few weeks, getting emotional is hardly a surprise even if you'd only dropped your pen on the floor. Cut yourself some slack, you're only human and still grieving.

*hugs* xxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 22:42 
Excellent Member

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Meems it's been a tough few weeks, getting emotional is hardly a surprise even if you'd only dropped your pen on the floor. Cut yourself some slack, you're only human and still grieving.

*hugs* xxx

:this: too.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 13:35 
Decapodian

In late October I had solar panels fitted on the roof, and while they were here doing the work they were left to get on with things in the loft, as you do.
It looks like one of the two fitters decide to help himself to an old leather suitcase that was in there that belongs to my GF. It was definitely up there before, and is now missing - I couldn't see it a few weeks later but assumed it was just moved to one side as I'd had to make room for them to work, but we've since rearranged everything and searched fully a couple of times. Nobody else has had access.

It contained a pile of old family paperwork including letters and birth certificates going back 100 years, medals from the first and second world wars, some very old childrens toys and a bunch of other totally irreplaceable stuff like her 21st birthday card from her mum who died soon after, most of which will probably have gone in the bin.

Understandably, she's completely devastated by this, and it's been reported to the police. I'm aware the chances of it being found are tiny, but I got the distinct impression they weren't going to do anything at all which I won't be happy with.

Thieving c****!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 14:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What a wanker!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 16:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Have you contacted the company that did the install?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 16:22 
Decapodian

Grim... wrote:
Have you contacted the company that did the install?

I've left a message for them to contact me on Monday but didn't say why.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 17:57 
Best
Board Mother

That's awful news. I know how angry and upset I was was for a good while when I found out my 360 had been taken, but that's far, far worse. Hope you find out who took it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 19:12 
Decapodian

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
That's awful news. I know how angry and upset I was was for a good while when I found out my 360 had been taken, but that's far, far worse. Hope you find out who took it.

Indeed. Having anything nicked can be really upsetting but when things are literally irreplaceable it's particularly bad.
I'd be amazed if anything comes of this (the police have at least said they will investigate) as I'm sure both of the fitters will deny all knowledge of it.

We know it must be one of them, but with no evidence to say which one they'll get away with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 22:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's horrible. I'd be naming and shaming the company at every chance I had if that happened to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 
Excellent Member

We took our son to see a paediatrician (again) yesterday afternoon, he has some issues with wind and this in turn makes him quiet a hard baby at night.

The hospital is great but is a total pain in the arse to get to for the last few miles and to park late in the afternoon. We had travelled in separate cars and I had got there first as I just cut into lanes etc as I needed to get there.

I noticed my wife still queuing in the traffic and said I would go and tell the paediatrician we would be late, she was in a bad mood as our son had acted up all day and she is also getting pissed off with the advice we are getting. We have seen 3 different paediatricians and they are all telling us to try various medications for X weeks with no real progress.

So I get there to be told that the paediatrician had been called away, I was pissed off at this point as this is a private appointment. The receptionist told me that she was called to resuscitate a baby so we waited

She came back 25 mins later and told us the baby had died after 10 minutes but she had to stay there to ensure the junior staff, many of who had not experience this before were not traumatised.

Put things bang back into perspective, I was happy as a pig in shit when I got up at 3am this morning to comfort my son and feed him as at least I have a child to wake me up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 21:02 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah... that puts my nay into perspective.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 17:56 
Unpossible!

Bollocks. I've lost my travel pass.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 0:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Try parking better, Z.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 13:05 
Excellent Member

Took our son to yet another paediatrician last night on BUPA, he thinks he knows what the issue is with our son and gave us a prescription.

Turns out it’s a private one and when my wife went to the Chemist she was charges £30 for 2 items one of which was penicillin. He gets it all free on the NHS, also turns out I could have called my DR and he would have prescribed for us on the NHS.

Never come across this before!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 13:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yep, all outpatient presciptions are expensive privately. In almost all cases you can have your GP just rewrite the scrip as an NHS one though. Annoyingly I once was given medication that only a dermatologist was permitted to prescribe for some reason, which meant my GP couldn't rewrite the scrip. That was irritating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 13:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
That was irritating.

Pun!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 13:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Heh :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 13:57 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Cras wrote:
Yep, all outpatient presciptions are expensive privately. In almost all cases you can have your GP just rewrite the scrip as an NHS one though. Annoyingly I once was given medication that only a dermatologist was permitted to prescribe for some reason, which meant my GP couldn't rewrite the scrip. That was irritating.

I had a similar experience although i had to purchase it so they could find out it worked - 2 small tubes of ointment I think was £100 , however after that my GP would prescribe it for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 14:08 

I think I've inadvertently inherited a new job. I'm a field engineer for the company I work for, which has other engineers permanently based onsite at different companies. One of those engineers, at a customer in Shepherds Bush, called in sick on Monday, so I was sent in to cover.

Then the next morning I called my boss to confirm where I was going and he told me to go back to Shepherds Bush and that I could safely assume I'd be there all week, which is a bit odd considering officially the guy is "off sick".

The guy has left a whole load of work here half complete, so I've been trying to get hold of him the whole time to find out what's going on with it all, but he's not answering his phone. He did reply to one of my emails saying he was around and I can call him whenever, but then he continued not answering his phone, nor replying to emails.

Sure enough, today my boss told me I'll be here next week too. He told me he couldn't tell me what's going on with the permanent guy, just that it's "not good".

I get paid London Weighting every day I'm here, so that's cool, but it's such a shit to get to and get home again from every day, plus it's a slightly longer than usual working day and I like being field-based and getting to travel. I'm very much hoping I'm not stuck here from now on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 14:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

QUIZ.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 14:31 
Unpossible!

Attachment:
sb.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 16:10 

Grim... wrote:
QUIZ.

You make a good point there! When's the next one?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 16:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

March 5th.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 19:01 

Bugger, looks like I really have inherited the London job. The guy I'm covering has been off a week and half, apparently sick, but today the boss called me and told me that they've had almost no contact with the guy - he hasn't been phoning in and they've not been able to contact him for the most part. All he said was that he knows he's not sick and was meant to go to our main office for a meeting today but never showed up. This afternoon, all our admin and server passwords got changed and I notice this guy's email account has been suspended.

Oh well, more money for me I guess, though the longer hours are going to make it a massive ballache to see my daughter on weeknights.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:05 

A slight nay in that I have been unwell since Sunday. I went in on Monday morning and stayed until about 10:30 when I was hurting so much that I had to leave. I've had 2 and a half days bed rest and yesterday my stand-in manager sent me a text asking what needs doing for all of the new and relaunch projects next week.

I gave him details of the reports that I needed running and the data that I needed sending so that I could work the files and analysis at home, but he basically said that no, if I was ill I should be resting, so leave it to them.

the problem is, nobody else has ever done those jobs before. Last time I was ill for any length of time I was lucky enough to have all of the work forward prepared as we had a break in the schedule leading up to it, so I left my team with the grand job of just making sure that files were uploaded and a few other settings changed, but all written out in a day by day 'press this button at this time' kind of way. Unfortunately, despite this hardly anything was done, I came back to a crumbling mess and loads of noise as to why things were in such a state and my manager just stood up and went 'that's Mimi's job' and then buggered off out of the room, so it was really horrid.

Because of this, when my stand in manager said that they wouldn't send the files for me to work I kind of forced myself back into the office today to prepare everything for next week so that it wasn't left for anyone else to have to do the analysis.

By 9:15 today my stand-in manager was driving his car to the front of the building and had ordered my colleague to gather my things so that I could be taken home. I was shaking, burning up and then a rash crept right up me.

It's unfortunate that I just don't feel able, after past experiences, to step back from the job and trust in other people. I think this stand-in manager will work this a lot better and as he drove me home has assured me that the same will not happen and that i will not return back to a wall of crap like last time, and if things do go wrong in my absence because things have been worked differently, he will absorb any comeback from that.

Anyway, yay for me feeling like an idiot and for the obvious pressure I put myself under and shouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 

Oh, and my ears are ringing. In my head it sounds like that scene from Saving Private Ryan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I did not get the job... oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 
Bad Girl

I haven't got 3 jobs that I went for over the last 6 months. I didn't want any of them but it'd be nice to be asked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 

Saturnalian wrote:
I haven't got 3 jobs that I went for over the last 6 months. I didn't want any of them but it'd be nice to be asked.

Apprently I was great but did not have a software back ground. I did not apply for a software role, they just interviewed me for one.... :belm:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:46 
Bad Girl

Jesus. Why waste someone's time like that - filling up the numbers?

I was great too. I bought myself chips after the last interview and told myself that. It was quite empowering scoffing chips on a bench in a park.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:50 

The chap that interviewed me, is now looking for a role for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:58 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:

Is there a nearby village...

;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:00 

Curiosity wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Is there a nearby village...

;)

:(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:03 
Decapodian

KovacsC wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Apprently I was great but did not have a software back ground. I did not apply for a software role, they just interviewed me for one.... :belm:

What is your background, out of interest?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:08 
UltraMod

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

A Batman logo, I'm betting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:21 
Unpossible!

British Nervoso wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

:applause:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 
Decapodian

DavPaz wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

:applause:

:this:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 13:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:
Bugger, looks like I really have inherited the London job. The guy I'm covering has been off a week and half, apparently sick, but today the boss called me and told me that they've had almost no contact with the guy - he hasn't been phoning in and they've not been able to contact him for the most part. All he said was that he knows he's not sick and was meant to go to our main office for a meeting today but never showed up. This afternoon, all our admin and server passwords got changed and I notice this guy's email account has been suspended.

Oh well, more money for me I guess, though the longer hours are going to make it a massive ballache to see my daughter on weeknights.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8372&p=809642#p809642

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 13:47 

British Nervoso wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

:DD

My background is infrastructure

Started off putting kit on desks around the Millennium. Then joined EDS/HP around 14 years ago, did time on the Job Centre projects, working out what was needed for Head Offices, Job points etc. Designed Server rooms and office layout. Worked in various Private and public projects.

Worked on the (redacted) project, where I worked up to to being an Infrastructure Architect, mainly problem solving (stop laughing) IT issues on unique environments.

Moved to the Rolls-Royce account in October, where I am look at designing and integration of the IT at factories, assembly plants, test beds and research facilities.

Reply to topic  [ 7450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 149  Next