PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 17:42 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Release date August 23, 2013

Post subject: Re: Saints Row IV
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 17:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

All I want from this is the plot, story, and acting from 2 with the polish of 3.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 17:51 

I hope it has Co-op again. I've been playing SR3 with NervousPete on the PC, and I'm quite enjoying it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 18:23 
Skillmeister

Cras wrote:
All I want from this is the plot, story, and acting from 2 with the polish of 3.

See I thunked 3 was a real let down. They went a little too far down the comic path for me. The character creation in particular was so ... stunted compared to 2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 18:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh, true. Daft that there were poxy amounts of outfits and they were all available right from the start.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 17:14 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/22/saints- ... -campaign/

Quote:
I wasn’t ready for Saint’s Row 4.

Last week I woke up really early, boiled a coffee and got dressed, just like any other day. I dragged myself to the train station, bought myself more coffee and hopped the first carriage to London. I had to wait ages for a strong enough phone signal to check my work emails. It was annoying.

I knew I was going there to see Saint’s Row 4 for the first time, and I had all these images of dildo swords, jet bikes and furries punching the elderly in my mind. “Yeah”, I thought, “I know roughly what to expect here”. I bought another coffee.

It was meant to be a day like any other. Then Volition Inc. blew my tits off.

In Saint’s Row 4 you – the leader of the Saints gang – are now president of America. An invading alien force called the Zin has kidnapped you, and has plugged your brain into an indoctrinating virtual world called The Dominatrix.

Oh, you also have super-powers by the way. Why ride in a car when you can run through traffic using super-speed? Why walk around a skyscraper when you can jump over it in one leap? Why fight with your bare hands when you can use telekinesis to throw them into orbit? Why indeed.

You also have a Dubstep Gun that fires Skrillex riffs at people. It makes them dance like morons, just in real life. Any cars caught in the blast suddenly sprout hydraulics and start bouncing around to the beat. You can pilot a mech. When walking past civilians you can DDT them just for shits and giggles.

Seriously, read all of those features back and try telling me it doesn’t sound like a riot. Then compare them to my boring, everyday story at the start. Which would you rather be doing?

Clearly you’d rather be freezing people with your mind and shattering them with one punch than be a Scottish bloke with bad hair and even worse cholesterol. This is why the Saint’s Row series is so appealing. It’s a mass power trip that exists purely in the name of fun, letting you do the impossible.

Volition’s insane concept of a virtual Steelport teeming with aliens has been in the works for sometime. In fact, it first started life as a story expansion for Saint’s Row: The Third called ‘Enter the Dominatrix’. Former THQ head Jason Rubin suggested the studio take the concept and flesh it out into a full game, so that’s what it did.

I asked Jim Boon, senior Producer of Saint’s Row 4 how it planned on topping purple dildo swords in its madcap follow-up, “Usually we’ll pick a topic like ‘Let’s talk about weapons’, and then we’d start throwing out ideas. They come from all over the team because everyone at Volition gets what Saint’s Row 4 is all about.

“For example, the Dubstep Gun was literally on this email chain going around the office asking for weapon ideas. Someone had just written ‘Dubstep Gun’. We didn’t even know what the hell it was, but it sounded amazing. We knew there was something there so we just came up for more ideas around it.

“But sometimes ideas just don’t work out quite right, so off they go. As silly and as over the top as we are a lot of the time, ultimately our goal is for people to have fun. So there are times we come up with crazy things that aren’t fun, so we cut them.”

‘Fun’ really is the best and only word to describe Saint’s Row 4. When you see it running you’ll want to crack a big smile, especially when you realise the sheer scope of what’s possible. Boon showed me a ‘Flashpoint’ scenario where the president is fighting Zin grunts on an rooftop.

He started by pulling out a pistol and shooting a few of them from on top of the adjacent building. He then performed a super leap over the gap and rained down with a brutal ground pound, sending the little buggers flying. He then froze the pack and started hurling them around with telekinesis.

Within seconds they were reduced to icy shards. I laughed. Try to picture the scene, and then imagine it with a second person in co-op. The ability to combine superpowers, insane weapons, and vehicles that pack serious firepower is a recipe for madness. I’m sure fans wouldn’t have it any other way.

Boon continued, “One of the reasons we added superpowers is, in all of the Saint’s Row games – the two core mechanics were combat and driving. Superpowers are a great way for us to change how they feel. So if I want to drive, I still can. You can grab cars, customise and upgrade them, all of that.

“But if you want a change of a pace, and you just want to super sprint down the street, then go for it. The same with combat, because I can still take a gun and shoot people. It’s no problem. But if I want to use my ice blast instead, then I can.”

Saint’s Row 4 is out in August, and while we’ve just seen the reveal of PS4, Boon confirmed that the the game is releasing on current-gen consoles only. I have to point out that it looks absolutely superb running on PC though, and it doesn’t look like the shallow DLC release some gamers are calling it.

I asked Boon if Volition would consider a next-gen port, “It’s something I wish we could do, because obviously with next-gen consoles, the things they can do are amazing. But unfortunately with the timing we had it wouldn’t have worked out.

“In the past when we did Summoner for PS2, we did that as a launch title. It was one of the most brutally difficult projects we’ve ever done, The problem was that the game wasn’t nearly as good as it should have been, because we rushed so hard to get it out in time.

“That’s why when there’s a new console cycle coming in, we tend to back away from it in terms of taking our time, rather than trying to rush something out on it. It means we can do it, and support the format in the right way.”

This makes sense, because nobody wants to play a rushed hatchet-job of a game. Plus, Volition is still easing into its new life under publisher Deep Silver. I asked Boon how the team felt when THQ was collapsing around them.

“It was a tough time because we had a lot of friends at THQ who didn’t work on projects that got purchased. It was pretty sad from that standpoint. The thing we felt good about internally at least, was that we knew Saint’s Row 4 was so far in development and was showing so well.

“We knew that THQ investor Clearlake – who was also our one – wanted to buy us no doubt about it. So we thought, ‘No matter what we’ve got a job’, because either they’d buy us or someone else would.

“Having said that there was the question of who was going to buy us, and what that would mean. In other words, was it someone who would come in and change our culture? The good news for us with Deep Silver is they’re fully supportive of what we do, of our culture, our internal processes and most importantly our game.”

It’s lucky that Saint’s Row 4 survived, as it’s the antithesis of the po-faced, gritty gaming experience. Its tongue is almost bursting through its cheek. When you consider that the game brings back all of the features from the third game, then adds a whole new suite of toys raise hell with, you might find it hard to comprehend.

Essentially, think of something truly bat-shit crazy and Volition probably has you covered. I can’t wait to see what else it has up its purple sleeves as we roll on to August. We’ll have more further down the line.

Disclosure: To write this piece Dave attended a Deep Silver showcase day In London. All travel was paid for by VG247. While catering was offered at the event, all food and drink was bought by Dave. No other merchandise or advertising was offered or accepted. He now can’t get Skrillex out of his head and would like it very much to stop.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 14:58 
8-Bit Champion

Latest trailer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 15:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That looks relevant to my interests!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 16:05 
Sleepyhead

I think Craster just came.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 16:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I need to play Saints Row, I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 18:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I need to take off crasters pants.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 18:49 
Rude Belittler

Collectors edition comes with a real life Dubstep Gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 19:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'd be all over that if it wasn't £90!

Fingers crossed that it'll be one of these "limited editions" that isn't limited at all and comes down in price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 14:38 
8-Bit Champion

Review embargo's are up today and it seems to be getting pretty much all positive reviews

Giant Bomb : http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/saints ... /1900-592/

Eurogamer : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... w-4-review

IGN : http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/14/ ... -iv-review

CVG : http://www.computerandvideogames.com/42 ... ertaining/

(most are around the 80% / or 4 out of 5)

RPS : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08 ... ts-row-iv/

Quote:
I think I can sell Saints Row IV to you in one anecdote:

I am driving from having killed a bunch of aliens using super-powered foot-stomps, toward a nuclear facility, with old comrade Pierce in the passenger seat. He finds Biz Markie’s Just A Friend on the radio, and we both start singing along in Biz-style tuneless joy. This isn’t a cutscene. I’m in control. I’m running over pedestrians who fuzz in and out of perfect rendering and blocky pixels, as the city similarly frizzles around me, its cybernetic origins revealing themselves. It’s an amazing moment. When we’re interrupted by the omnipresent voice of our alien overlord enemy, who’s now singing along too, and… I changed my mind. I’m not going to spoil it. You find out. So I get out of the car and throw it at a building using the power of my mind.

Quote:
The premise is so batshit insane that when I’ve told people about it, they’ve not believed me. But in a deadpan masterstroke, the game begins completely differently. You and the Saints are now apparently working for the American government, and are infiltrating a terrorist base somewhere in the Middle East. It’s brown corridors, ordinary third-person combat – it could be any action game. And it holds this pose just long enough to weird you out. It’s a statement, and it’s a brilliant one. It’s Volition saying: “Look, doing this is a piece of piss. We are so much better than this.” So then you tear apart a rocket as it flies through the air, from the outside, to the tune of Aerosmith, and then fall from space, crash through the roof of the Whitehouse, and land in your presidential chair – because yes, you are now the President of the USA. Obviously. Yes!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:33 
Skillmeister

Oops. Mine's installing now. How embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:44 
8-Bit Champion

Dimrill wrote:

I saw Lewie has a confirmed link that works for £25 on the PC - I'd really like it a little bit lower than that

http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/08/22/saint ... -pc-25-35/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:52 
Skillmeister

Honestly didn't think they'd be able to top the opening to 3. They did. Very.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

zaphod79 wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

I saw Lewie has a confirmed link that works for £25 on the PC - I'd really like it a little bit lower than that

You can get it for considerably less than that at the right shops...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 13:59 
Skillmeister

Whee! Ridiculously complex customisation options are back!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hurrah!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have this ordered on the Xbox. I can't wait.. I might actually play it! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:27 
SavyGamer

Grim... wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

You're going to have to enlighten me, because I've looked around a lot. Where have you seen it cheaper?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:36 
8-Bit Champion

LewieP wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You're going to have to enlighten me, because I've looked around a lot. Where have you seen it cheaper?

I think he means the <cough> right shops <cough>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:47 
SavyGamer

Oh right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 14:50 
UltraMod

LewieP wrote:
Oh right.

As in torrents. Illegal downloads. Sav(v)y?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 15:30 
Skillmeister

Man the radio is really shonkily thrown together. Tracks overlapping, crap generic intros. Seems like they've just bought the rights to the songs and just lumped them in a directory.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:15 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Tesco have emailed me to say that I won't get my game until tomorrow. Pah... Not that I'd play it tonight mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:20 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
Tesco have emailed me to say that I won't get my game until tomorrow. Pah... Not that I'd play it until 2025, mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

TheVision wrote:
Tesco have emailed me to say that myp's a wrongheaded cockface

I now have this. I'm 5 minutes in and it's AWESOME.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

SilentElk wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Tesco have emailed me to say that I won't get my game until tomorrow. Pah... Not that I'd play it until 2025, mind.

I may have a gamerscore to be proud of by then too. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:40 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
I may have a gamerscore to be proud of by then too. ;)

That is fanciful thinking, but I like ambition in a person!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 14:52 
Excellent Member

I've been playing SR3 lately. It's fun but nowhere as good as Just Cause 2, which is still my standard for GTA clones. Not only is not aesthetically as pleasant but the shooting and driving is less tight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 15:28 
Skillmeister

Doing a Blazin' to the sound of B.O.B. is fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 16:01 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Tesco have just emailed me to apologise and have refunded £5 so, with Lewie's deal that I had the other day.. Saints Row IV has cost me £19.99.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 16:16 
Skillmeister

*snort*

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
"I was 12 hours into Dead Island when the Zin attacked. I'll never forgive them for that."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dimrill wrote:
Whee! Ridiculously complex customisation options are back!

OMG, they are too! SQUIFF.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:09 

I just got this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Tower climbing is brilliant. This is totally Saints Row meets Crackdown.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:18 
Skillmeister

S'more Saints Row meets Prototype. The jump power is copied and pasted directly from there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:28 
Sitting balls-back folder

I want this but I hate my 360, my PCs aren't good enough and the ps3 in the living room means I don't get as much time to play. Also no-one has ps3s for.multiplayer and it's probably not even out on it anyway.

WOE IS ME.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:32 
8-Bit Champion

BikNorton wrote:
I want this but I hate my 360, my PCs aren't good enough and the ps3 in the living room means I don't get as much time to play. Also no-one has ps3s for.multiplayer and it's probably not even out on it anyway.

WOE IS ME.

The early review stuff suggested it was much better on PC than either console and suffers from low framerate and some laggy sections (specifically on 360 but i'm assuming the PS3 will be the same)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:34 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Tower climbing is brilliant. This is totally Saints Row meets Crackdown.

Yes, the write ups sound encouraging. It might just be the first good Saints Row game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 17:47 
Sitting balls-back folder

zaphod79 wrote:
The early review stuff suggested it was much better on PC than either console and suffers from low framerate and some laggy sections (specifically on 360 but i'm assuming the PS3 will be the same)

not my PCs - a 1.5ghz turion II with low-end AMD card or i5 laptop with Intel graphics .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 18:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:

JOHNNY!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 19:09 
Skillmeister

Dubstep gun is fucking AMZING!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 20:01 
Skillmeister

ZOMG! I can now dress my "homies" as
Rowdy Roddy Piper!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 20:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dimrill wrote:
Dubstep gun is fucking AMZING!

Oh man, it is. It's fucking superb.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 16:37 
Excellent Member

Cookie197 wrote:
I just got this.

OK, I'm going to be buying this!

Sorry for not replying to your recent PM, Cookie, and being away from the online gaming and stuff. Was having a lot of RL going down. Things have settled down now. I anticipate some fun SR4 multi in't future! ALSO DEFCON. :luv:

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 20:16 
UltraMod

Don't forget me with Defcon plz.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 0:25 
Skillmeister

Man o many other men the Metal Gear parody is funny.

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next