Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:00 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Looking for a new car I came across this one and went to have a look:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 206379205/

It's a petrol rather than a diesel and it all feels like it's been looked after.

I really liked it (I had an E30 3 series many years ago and loved that too), it just felt so much nicer inside than the Mondeos I've also been looking at. But I don't know if there are any potential pitfalls to look out for with these particular ones.

Anyone know anything about these?

There is always the possibility that all other road users will instantly assume that you're a twat. :hat: Marvellous cars I'm sure, but I think that could be a factor that might be worth taking into consideration.

The Crumplezone My Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:05 
Ready for action

Personally I love those BMWs and I would get one myself if I wasn't getting a hatchback.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:11 
Gogmagog

chinnyhill10 wrote:
actual fact on paper it was faster but diesels can be more nippy at certain speeds due to the torque. My Audi can give other much faster cars a real scare between 40 and 60!

Diesel Audis have caned the fuck out of race prepped Porsches around a racetrack.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:14 

MaliA wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
actual fact on paper it was faster but diesels can be more nippy at certain speeds due to the torque. My Audi can give other much faster cars a real scare between 40 and 60!

Diesel Audis have caned the fuck out of race prepped Porsches around a racetrack.

Fuck diesels though, I only do 5000 miles a year.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:15 
Gogmagog

Next time bait will be set more carefully.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:16 

Mr Burrrrt wrote:
There is always the possibility that all other road users will instantly assume that you're a twat. :hat: Marvellous cars I'm sure, but I think that could be a factor that might be worth taking into consideration.

Honestly not too fussed about what the sort of person who decides what they think of someone based on the car they're driving thinks about me. Otherwise I'd never have bought an MX-5. I just want something I can enjoy driving even a bit.

And in any case I don't think that an old BMW really comes with those associations, newer "company" Audis and BMWs definitely.

You'd be proud though, I've even looked at Saabs but just didn't like them. Though I seem to remember you saying the new ones were shit and I can't be bothered with running an old one.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:18 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Felt wrong. I can sit in a car and know in a few seconds if it is a Chinny car. You spend alot of time sitting in a car so if I'm not happy I won't buy. The BMW felt slightly sleazy. Not a car for driving, but a car for creeping around back streets in.

See I thought the interior was lovely, perhaps it was the colours of this one but it all just felt really clean and light, just a nice place to be. Really not getting the sleazy vibe from it at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:20 

An E46 320i isn't going to be particularly enjoyable to drive, I had one (a convertible though.)

I found I was constantly kicking myself for not getting the 325i or the 330i. I seem to remember the 325i offers identical MPG and insurance costs, but for more performance (and more usable, too.)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:20 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Felt wrong. I can sit in a car and know in a few seconds if it is a Chinny car. You spend alot of time sitting in a car so if I'm not happy I won't buy. The BMW felt slightly sleazy. Not a car for driving, but a car for creeping around back streets in.

See I thought the interior was lovely, perhaps it was the colours of this one but it all just felt really clean and light, just a nice place to be. Really not getting the sleazy vibe from it at all.

I was in a darker interior. Whereas in the Audi it works, in the BMW it didn't. Although I must say I do find the interior of my Audi a tad dark at times. Having black roof lining is just a tad oppressive.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:21 

sdg wrote:
Personally I love those BMWs and I would get one myself if I wasn't getting a hatchback.

Heh, MrsG did point out that a hatchback would be more practical "well, yes, no...it would but this one is rear wheel drive you see!". Though she actually really likes it too.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:25 

GazChap wrote:
An E46 320i isn't going to be particularly enjoyable to drive, I had one (a convertible though.)

I found I was constantly kicking myself for not getting the 325i or the 330i. I seem to remember the 325i offers identical MPG and insurance costs, but for more performance (and more usable, too.)

Thanks Gaz, I shall take it out for a good spin. I sort of know the guy at the garage so maybe let me take it home for the night. I'm not too fussed about the 0-60 times to be honest and I'm not wanting to get so set on a particular type that I'll spend ages or drive miles looking for just the right one. Looking at cars in a 10 mile radius of home, which is kind of fun because it means looking at stuff you otherwise might not.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I don't really need a car. So I am considering getting a completely impractical car. Provide me with suggestions, up to about £4K please.

Thankee!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:28 

What sort of impracticality is it that you are after?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:28 
Gogmagog

Jaguar in Daley Red.
MKIIjag

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:33 
Chinny chin chin

Cras wrote:
I don't really need a car. So I am considering getting a completely impractical car. Provide me with suggestions, up to about £4K please.

Thankee!

Delorean on lease?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:44 

A used but much loved MX-5. It has a small boot and only two seats, also the cup holders are completely unusable when you are actually driving.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras wrote:

Thankee!

As mentioned, how impractical are we talking?

BMW 745i?
Nissan 350z
Honda S2000
MX5
Toyota MR2 Turbo
TVR Chimera

ugvm'er at heart...

markg wrote:
A used but much loved MX-5. It has a small boot and only two seats, also the cup holders are completely unusable when you are actually driving.

Speaking of MX5's...

http://mx5trackcar.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -trackday/

We did it!

A drizzly day in Bedford (that almost didn't happen due to EasyTrack going under) but great fun.

The morning started out very greasy and slippery, and with the added bonus of a hail storm. The decision to run with the roof down all day was put in question for that bit at least. At least that has made the decision for us that we are going to keep the roof for now, less hassle with covers and the like in between sessions.

Initial thoughts on the MX5 was that it was a nightmare to control in the wet, and maybe it was a bit more broken than we thought…
However, the afternoon was sunny and dry and she was predictable and great fun to drive. Easily the slowest car there on the day, but we didn't embarrass ourselves too much. A few spins during the wet, and one more in the dry was all the drama in the day.

Things we learnt about the car:

These Mazdas are hardy little beasts. Sitting outside for 2 years, one oil change later and a little bit of welding and she survived 40+ laps at 10/10ths with no real issues. She was pretty much out on the track for most of the day, with three drivers it was a matter of a quick handover and out she went again.

We have a bit of juddering under braking, and at one point she was pulling to the left. We probably need to do a bit of work on the braking system. New disks and pads and callipers on the front is most likely needed. No fade to speak of though.
The juddering could also be the bushes, so the front wishbones we couldn't be arsed to replace? We should probably do that.

The "interesting" handling in the wet was probably a factor of two things. Firstly, the tyres are most likely shot. Standing for 2 years won't have helped them and they are 5 years old already. Need to decide if we go with some road tyres or track tyres next. I expect we'll just put some Toyo Proxes on to star with and see whether the Yokohama Paradas that are on it currently were the issue.
Secondly, the camber and alignment is all over the place, but no point in sorting that until we change the front wishbones too.

That's pretty much it really, might swap out the alternator as it is bit rusty and likes to seize if you don't start the car every few weeks.

A successful day all in all. Plan is to get together to do the rest of the work on the car, and then book another day. Maybe Brands Hatch next.

Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Mr Burrrrt wrote:

Honestly not too fussed about what the sort of person who decides what they think of someone based on the car they're driving thinks about me. Otherwise I'd never have bought an MX-5. I just want something I can enjoy driving even a bit.

And in any case I don't think that an old BMW really comes with those associations, newer "company" Audis and BMWs definitely.

You'd be proud though, I've even looked at Saabs but just didn't like them. Though I seem to remember you saying the new ones were shit and I can't be bothered with running an old one.

Maybe. I do think BMWs in general have an image problem. A nice personalised plate (preferably with illegal spacing and non-standard font) on the Beemer should immediately dispel any lingering suspicion that you are not a twat though. With an MX5 anyone who doesn't know how good they are would probably assume you are gay/a hairdresser/both which isn't particularly negative. Mrs Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt now has a SAAB 9-5 2.3 turbo estate which goes like fuck and handles well, but somehow not quite as solid feeling as her old 9000 or my MK1 900. This is down to them being built on a Vauxhall chassis.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:49 

Mr Burrrrt wrote:
Maybe. I do think BMWs in general have an image problem. A nice personalised plate (preferably with illegal spacing and non-standard font) on the Beemer should immediately dispel any lingering suspicion that you are not a twat though.

Total waste of time. How will they see my number plate when I'm driving two feet off their back bumper?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 14:58 

Trooper wrote:
TVR Chimera

For £4K?

I'm not 100% sure I want you to show me an example, not sure my credit card could take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I believe they're quite a bit slower than most of their class, but can do lots (lots) more miles on one tank, and whizzed by while the other cars where in the pits.

At Le Mans, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Trooper wrote:
TVR Chimera

For £4K?

I'm not 100% sure I want you to show me an example, not sure my credit card could take it.

Cheapest on ebay at the moment is £5.5k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-TVR-Chim ... 2a2c224a71

But it's getting to that time of year where they increase in value, I have seen one or two at the £4k level last year though.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Trooper wrote:
Toyota MR2 Turbo
TVR Chimera

That's the level of impractical I'm after, really. The more esoteric the better.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:

Fun. Silly. Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:07 

Honestly wouldn't bother with an old TVR unless you want to make a new hobby of getting hands on with keeping it on the road.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:07 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Cras wrote:
markg wrote:

Fun. Silly. Awesome.

Given where you live, you'd look like 95% of local minicabs.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:08 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Mr Burrrrt wrote:
Maybe. I do think BMWs in general have an image problem. A nice personalised plate (preferably with illegal spacing and non-standard font) on the Beemer should immediately dispel any lingering suspicion that you are not a twat though.

Total waste of time. How will they see my number plate when I'm driving two feet off their back bumper?

Once they have dived into the middle lane of the motorway from the outside BMW/Audi lane due to your self-righteous headlight flashing, they should just be able to see it for a couple of seconds as you disappear off into the distance.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:10 
Chinny chin chin

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I believe they're quite a bit slower than most of their class, but can do lots (lots) more miles on one tank, and whizzed by while the other cars where in the pits.

At Le Mans, anyway.

We need a Forza night!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Toyota MR2 Turbo
TVR Chimera

That's the level of impractical I'm after, really. The more esoteric the better.

Hasn't been updated for a few weeks, but this thread is exactly what you are looking for and should give you some good ideas.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 63%3B5k%29

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:15 
Chinny chin chin

Mr Burrrrt wrote:
markg wrote:
Mr Burrrrt wrote:

Once they have dived into the middle lane of the motorway from the outside BMW/Audi lane due to your self-righteous headlight flashing, they should just be able to see it for a couple of seconds as you disappear off into the distance.

The sad thing about modern diesels is that they now have DPF's so you can't leave them in a cloud of black smoke of your own making, which was half the fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:24 

Cras wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Toyota MR2 Turbo
TVR Chimera

I can heartily recommend an MR2 turbo. A bit more understeery than the Mk1 and Mk3 MR2s, but they're still epic to drive and the sound from behind your head is glorious.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yeah, it's definitely on my list. The rest of my list is mostly muscle cars, mind.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:29 
Gogmagog

You should make a replica of Boss Hogg's car.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You need to add a Range Rover to that list. Practical and impractical!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Not awesome enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:58 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Not awesome enough.

a RED Range Rover!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 15:59 

Get one of those miniature Cadillacs and a Fez, like a Shriner.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 16:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Not awesome enough.

/narrows eyes

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 16:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

:shrug:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 17:12 
chewbacca -future arc welder

How about an MG B G..... ah never mind :( selling the little bugger is beginning to turn into a chore.

Trooper wrote:
markg wrote:

Speaking of MX5's...

http://mx5trackcar.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -trackday/

We did it!

The "interesting" handling in the wet was probably a factor of two things. Firstly, the tyres are most likely shot. Standing for 2 years won't have helped them and they are 5 years old already. Need to decide if we go with some road tyres or track tyres next. I expect we'll just put some Toyo Proxes on to star with and see whether the Yokohama Paradas that are on it currently were the issue.

[....]

That's pretty much it really, might swap out the alternator as it is bit rusty and likes to seize if you don't start the car every few weeks.

Nice one! looks fun!

Ive used these people for mk1 alts more than once and they always turn up quick and work. hunner squid.
http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/

I hate Paradas, Toyo R888 is what you want IMO, and try and keep the camber within 0.5 neg, looks better beyond 1.0 but is waaaay too skittish

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 17:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Ta for the link. R888s are the way to go in the future, but I can get a full set of toyos for £150, which for now is the best course while we get everything dialled in I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 17:49 

Drove that BMW, liked it muchly. He offered me a fair price for my MX-5 and we shook hands, stoked.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Hrrrrrrnnnnnnnghhhhh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-Chevrole ... 3381a1ad99

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 
baron of techno

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA- ... 3a80d5086f

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:45 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA-BASED-UGLY-SHERWOOD-KIT-CAR-HIDEOUS-THANKFULLY-RARE-LUNATICS-ONLY-/251269548143?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a80d5086f

That's exactly how a certain members Land Rover will end up being advertised on Ebay in 30 years time. :DD :DD :DD :DD

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pfft - like it'll last 30 years!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 
Decapodian

Cras wrote:

Bah, no Meyerhoff lifters.
I'll pass

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Can anyone come up with a compelling reason why I wouldn't buy this car?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEVROLET-COR ... 4920314361

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:55 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Can anyone come up with a compelling reason why I wouldn't buy this car?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEVROLET-COR ... 4920314361

Do it now.

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332 ... 613  Next