Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Have you ever had a carpet laid
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 

I'm not having a carpet laid, but my grandmother had one laid yesterday, and paid a family member to lay it for her. How much might the labour for this cost, because I am wondering if she didn't overpay them for the job.

It was a carpet for a rectangular single room - a small living room about (at a guess) 6 yards by 4 yards.

Post subject: Re: Have you ever had a carpet laid
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:13 

PS - the job was for the laying the carpet, not actually buying the carpet, which was separate (given to her by someone else).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:15 
Legendary Boogeyman

When I had the carpet laid in my house, which was for a livingroom, hallway, stairs and 3 bedrooms it cost me about £185 I think. On that basis anything more than £30-40 would be a bit of a ripoff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:17 

She paid £100, and the person she paid it too went off in a huff (see - she asks how much the person wants for the job, and the person never, ever tells her - says 'it's up to you, whatever' - but my gran will never, ever underpay for a job - but she doesn't know what the job should cost, so she gave the person £100, and this person went off in a giant huff after one and a quarter hour's work.

I knew when she said it that it sounded like she had overpaid. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

ComicalGnomes wrote:
When I had the carpet laid in my house, which was for a livingroom, hallway, stairs and 3 bedrooms it cost me about £185 I think. On that basis anything more than £30-40 would be a bit of a ripoff.

That sounds like you had a really good deal! Did you have them all done at the same time?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:20 

TheVision wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

That sounds like you had a really good deal! Did you have them all done at the same time?

Would it be more by your experience, Mr Vision?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

TheVision wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

That's a fucking bargain, surely?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:

It would in mine.
Did you have underlay or anything?

I can't imagine charging a family member for anything I did for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:24 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mimi wrote:
She paid £100, and the person she paid it too went off in a huff (see - she asks how much the person wants for the job, and the person never, ever tells her - says 'it's up to you, whatever' - but my gran will never, ever underpay for a job - but she doesn't know what the job should cost, so she gave the person £100, and this person went off in a giant huff after one and a quarter hour's work.

I knew when she said it that it sounded like she had overpaid. :(

This person was pissed off they didn't get more than £100 to lay one carpet in one room, and for a family member? The guy sounds like a right wanker. I've never charged my family for anything, and they tax me for hours worth of computer help at a time.

Yeah, had all the carpets laid at once. Again, that was just for the laying and not the carpet itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Well, I haven't had a massive experience to be fair.. I can tell you that I had 2 bedrooms carpeted recently. One normal size room and a small box room. Both with the same carpet fitted at the same time and I paid £340 for the carpet, underlay, grippy things and fitting.The carpet isn't exactly the best quality carpet but it's not exactly cheap either.. I'd say it's top of mid range.

The price I paid sounded reasonable from the shopping around I did but i did get more than just the fitting. I hope this helps somehow!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
so she gave the person £100, and this person went off in a giant huff after one and a quarter hour's work.

If it's an elderly family member you'd think tea and biscuits would be payment enough anyway :S

If it was a professional, you might expect around £40/hour (basically a manual labour job but with some skill needed), and then £30 or so on top for transport. And if it's London, double the total. But still, it sounds as if piss was being taken to some extent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:26 

My conservatory is small, about 1.5 yards by 2.5 yards, and I paid about about £30 to have lino fitted to it, and lino is easier to lay than carpet because it doesn't need stretching so much. Then my dogs destroyed it six months later. I did buy the lino at the same time from the same place but the fitting charge was on top.

CG's £185 sounds cheap, particularly as it involved stairs, and stairs are a bastard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:27 

The underlay was already down and the carpet already cut.

ComicalGnomes wrote:
This person was pissed off they didn't get more than £100 to lay one carpet in one room, and for a family member? The guy sounds like a right wanker.

Woman rather than guy. It was my mother ?:| She was laying her own mother's carpet :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 
baron of techno

At home with the Vogons...

(Sorry)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:29 
making out to faces of death

CG's quote sounds right to me for a firm like Carpet Right. When we had the stairs, landing and three bedrooms done, it was something like that (not sure, it was £600something including the carpet and underlay). The guy was *fast* though, but did a good job all the same.

£100 for just over an hour's work is money I'd be more than happy with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:29 
Legendary Boogeyman

Your mother is not awesome. Sorry :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:30 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I think 100 is more than we paid when we got it from Carpetright a year or two back. I think we paid 70 for fitting back then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:35 
Excellent Painter

It's difficult to get an accurate idea of costs as most carpet fitters are very quick and will do a large room in about 30 mins and they price accordingly. Your mother is insane to think she was underpaid for an hours work ferchrissakes - we had the whole house done over a period of six weeks a few years back and I can remember it being very very cheap, including the hallway and stairs - IIRC it was less than £200 for the whole house. It's not like it's rocket science so paying someone more than £10-15 per hour for that is a con.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:12 
Hibernating Druid

If your mum didn't need to buy underlay, gripper rods or even stanely blades then £100 is far too much. Did she hire a carpet stretcher though? They're about £30ish to hire for a day. It should have been a tea and biscuit job though for family.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:25 

Am I the only one here that would charge my parents for jobs like this? If it takes 5 minutes then fair enough, but if I'm taking a significant chunk out of my day (when I could be earning other money) then it's fair game in my opinion.

Before I get jumped on for being a twat, I wouldn't charge them "full whack" as it were :p About £75 per hour would do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

By a similar token your parents could have been off earning more money instead of spending time looking after and raising you. Best hope they don't think to charge you for it one day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:33 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I don't charge my immediate family for anything I do for them, as they do a hell of a lot for me. Even my somewhat extended family (and people who technically aren't family at all) only pay me if they really really want to.

I recently formatted my sister's boyfriend's mum's PC and set it all up again with a Linux system so she can browse the net and do emails in safety, and I didn't particuarly want paying. In the end I had to accept a tenner, though. I did get the most huge, choclatey, awesome cake for my birthday from her though (homemade!).

That's how I prefer it. I'll do favours for people as long as I think they would do the same for me. Or in the case of older people who can't, just being ace is enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:33 
Awesome
Yes

ComicalGnomes wrote:
By a similar token your parents could have been off earning more money instead of spending time looking after and raising you. Best hope they don't think to charge you for it one day.

I know, I know, Simpsons on the internet again, but this is exactly what Principal Skinner's mother makes him do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

Which is illogical given that it's already been proven he's not her real son. Odd. Simpsons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

Sheepeh wrote:
Just being ace is enough.

:this:
I made and host a couple of charity websites for nothing other than the warm gummy feeling of being useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:37 
Awesome
Yes

She spent money on someone dammit! Hehe.

I was trying to find an online carpet fitting cost calculator, but the only promising search result at ezcarpets.co.uk doesn't want to load for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 13:45 

ComicalGnomes wrote:

Funnily enough, from the age of 4 it was basically the other way around in my case. By the time I turned 7 my brothers had moved out so I was basically left looking after my parents by myself :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:14 

No, my mother bought nothing, hired nothing.

And there is no need to apologise, we do not get on/speak, and I know she's not a nice person.

But no, I can't imagine ever, ever 'charging' my grandmother for doing anything - after all she has done for me, I'd never, ever expect anything to help her out - my mother more so as my gran is ALWAYS doing things for her and never, ever done anything in return, and especially not for 'free'. I am just a bit narked that she took this attitude with my gran after my nan seems to have overpaid her by a big whack.

OK, well thanks for your opinions and estimates. My nan has been a bit upset that my mother was this way and thought that she had perhaps underpaid her for her work, but at least I can tell her that this is not the case and she can at least relax about this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Tell you gran that she overpaid your mother by £100, love from the Beex forumites (except GazChap).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:22 

Oh well,

I think I'll just tell her that she paid her enough, definitely didn't underpay her at least, anything else would be liable to upset her.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

Tell your Gran I'll make her a website for free, http://www.mimisgran.com. I'll set up a blog and she can talk about carpets, tea and biscuits.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:25 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Amusingly that managed to link through to this on my PC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:26 

My gran is getting into the internet a little, actually, since I got the shop up and running. I have to explain it in terms of being like TV channels and me owning my own TV channel, but still, she liked my shop and some of the picture accounts I had.

trying to explain the internet to an 86 year old is interesting, indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:27 

Sheepeh wrote:

Quote:
by mimisgran
a.k.a.
mimi_s_mum

Confused family...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:28 
Legendary Boogeyman

Note to self: Pay attention as I get old and technology advances.

Somehow I have a worrying sense that it'll overtake me anyway.

baron of techno

Mimi wrote:

"And BEEX is a magical internet pixie world WHERE I AM A WORSHIPPED PRINCESS"

Mimi wrote:
Quote:
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.
Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio

Not terribly relevant, but I really like the quote.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:29 
baron of techno

Einstein predicted longcat? 8) He truly was a genius!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:30 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mimi wrote:
Oh well,

I think I'll just tell her that she paid her enough, definitely didn't underpay her at least, anything else would be liable to upset her.

Would saying 'more than enough' upset her? I wouldn't like to give her the impression that that's what the job was actually worth, lest she get fleeced a second time.

Your mum sounds like a horrible person :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:48 

Yeah, I can't stand to be near her, but my nan has a slightly misplaced idea of family, where the blood bond is stronger than any amount of upset. My nan doesn't actually like the person my mother is one bit, but she will always put up with her and give her money when she asks for it, but ho hum.

I will probably just say that she paid enough. I doubt she'd ever get another carpet fitted in her lifetime so I'll just say that and tell her not to worry about it any more. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 14:50 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

You know that Mint credit card advert about the balance of the world?

That's Mimi and her mum, that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:02 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
Sheepeh wrote:

I like that. Mimi's Gran apologising for not updating in nearly a year, and telling people to be patient.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:12 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Davydd Grimm wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:

I like that. Mimi's Gran apologising for not updating in nearly a year, and telling people to be patient.

And talking about AutoStitch for making photos. And talking in Crazy Moon Language. I think it actually *is* Mimi's Gran, straight after Mimi leaves her house.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:20 

Mimi wrote:
I doubt she'd ever get another carpet fitted in her lifetime so I'll just say that and tell her not to worry about it any more. :)

From the sounds of it, she may have to get that carpet fitted again eventually. :( Carpets have to be bashed/stretched over the grippy things round the edges or they'll just go slack and stick up and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:28 

Oh, I think that Nan already had all of the grip rods in place, is what I meant. I know that my mother has put downa fair few carpets, so i assume that she has done it correctly - she used to put carpets down in pubs and the like, and my nan herself also laid a carpet for her sister when she was younger (with one hand, as it happens) so I imagine that it was done OK. I know they damaged all of those little metal strips that hold down carpet from oen room to another, but my uncle told her he'd go to her house today and sort those out (and not charge her to do so...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:29 

Sheepeh wrote:
You know that Mint credit card advert about the balance of the world?

That's Mimi and her mum, that is.

I don't know if I have seen this. Is it the clever/stupid balance?

I wouldn't wish to guess which side I was on :p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:30 

OK. I hope if/when you have kids they'll be nice ones that don't mind doing some DIY for mum in exchange for tea and biscuits (or Tunnocks wafers at most) when you're old :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:40 
Isn't that lovely?

I wouldn't expect payment for doing work for friends/family. I would offer payment if I was asking for help tho.

We had my office room done a few months back, it's not rectangular (one wall is on an angle) it's a bit smaller than the room your nan had done. The fitter charged me £100 that included the carpet, the underlay, the grippers etc.

He's just done the complete upstairs of my house too (along with the stairs, for £1,400).

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Every time I see the title of this story I think it's a pubic wig question. I'm not sure why.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:43 

Have you ever had ink done? Ever had a carpet laid?

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next