Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Facebook devours Instagram
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:09 

I only got the thing last week, now Fuckerberg is talking thusly:

Quote:
I’m excited to share the news that we’ve agreed to acquire Instagram and that their talented team will be joining Facebook.

For years, we’ve focused on building the best experience for sharing photos with your friends and family. Now, we’ll be able to work even more closely with the Instagram team to also offer the best experiences for sharing beautiful mobile photos with people based on your interests.

We believe these are different experiences that complement each other. But in order to do this well, we need to be mindful about keeping and building on Instagram’s strengths and features rather than just trying to integrate everything into Facebook.

That’s why we’re committed to building and growing Instagram independently. Millions of people around the world love the Instagram app and the brand associated with it, and our goal is to help spread this app and brand to even more people.

We think the fact that Instagram is connected to other services beyond Facebook is an important part of the experience. We plan on keeping features like the ability to post to other social networks, the ability to not share your Instagrams on Facebook if you want, and the ability to have followers and follow people separately from your friends on Facebook.

These and many other features are important parts of the Instagram experience and we understand that. We will try to learn from Instagram’s experience to build similar features into our other products. At the same time, we will try to help Instagram continue to grow by using Facebook’s strong engineering team and infrastructure.

This is an important milestone for Facebook because it’s the first time we’ve ever acquired a product and company with so many users. We don’t plan on doing many more of these, if any at all. But providing the best photo sharing experience is one reason why so many people love Facebook and we knew it would be worth bringing these two companies together.

We’re looking forward to working with the Instagram team and to all of the great new experiences we’re going to be able to build together.

First of all, fuck off Facebook.

Right then... Instagram's strength is that it's piss-simple. Add anything much to it and you're knackering it. It already shares to Facebook. They are 'committed to growing Instagram independantly' - don't buy it then! If their goal is spreading it to more people, just advertise it on Facebook. Everyone with an iPhone or an Android can already get it - how are they going to give it a wider reach? I like how they're talking up "The ability to not share to Facebook if you want" as if that's them being somehow generous. I was on Instagram to avoid having to use Facebook for photo sharing and very happy I was with it, too.

This will go the same way as Tweetdeck and even if it didn't, I'd be reluctant to have any personal photos or details on anything owned by Facebook, they're just too unreliable.

Post subject: Re: Facebook devours Instagram
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:17 
Gogmagog

I'd advise you to write to your MP over it.

I can't really see the problem with Company A buying Company B. It's how the world works. People and their pension funds benefit from it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:20 

I really dislike company A. Company B has my personal information and company A used to have and it was a nightmare keeping control of it so I cut ties with company A.

Bit weak to pass it off as A.N. Other company, this is Facebook. It's not like Yahoo bought them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:23 
Gogmagog

You agreed to the T&Cs, lots of people use it, money to be made, pensions need to be paid, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:28 

Why are you telling me things I blatantly already know?

All this can be taken as read. I'm being annoyed by it. What's your point, that I should have no feelings on the matter? Or be glad?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The Internet went mad when Yahoo! bought Flickr.

What sort of track record do Facebook have with the stuff they've bought in the part?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 23:30 
Gogmagog

I dunno, don't invest private data nor emotions in vehicles that are going to sell your soul for profit and stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 0:00 

I like Instagram. It's simple, so fast to use and has a nice community feel to it.

I'm one of those that just can't stand Facebook. I just do not get on with it.

My only fears for this are:

That it is made a requirement to have a FB log in to use IG.

That they start bloating it with unnecessary garbage. Ads for Facebook, games and the like.

It can only get as much info out of your profile as you put in, I guess. As long as it doesn't start geotagging your pictures by default, I'm not sure what else I should be too concerned about. The email address I use for this sort of thing isn't my main one, to cut down on spam.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:17 
Excellent Member

What is it about Instagram that inspires such... fanboi-ish behaviour? First you have a significant subset whining that it moves to Android, now this.

Yet, many of the people whining are probably still playing Draw Something after it sold out to a truly evil company.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:11 

Grim... wrote:
What sort of track record do Facebook have with the stuff they've bought in the part?

Not much of one in any direction -- as Zuckerberg said, they've never done an acquisition on this scale.

Instagram was a popular social network with no business model. Such things should never be relied upon. They are inevitably up for sale.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:55 

Plissken wrote:
What is it about Instagram that inspires such... fanboi-ish behaviour? First you have a significant subset whining that it moves to Android, now this.

Yet, many of the people whining are probably still playing Draw Something after it sold out to a truly evil company.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the Instagram fanboism is about, either. I decided to just ignore that right from the beginning and use it as a way to quickly upload and show friends on Twitter some pictures, as I didn't like the Twitter pictures services at the time (I think they've improved now).

As a result I met new people on IG that now also follow me on Twitter, and many Twitter friends now follow me on IG.

On the buyout the other day, I saw one person on Twitter retweet:

Facebook is soulless, whereas Instagram is all about soul and emotion. It just made me laugh. I think I read it aloud to Russ. I didn't realise that IG was so profound. I thought it was a photo uploading service with a nice and simple interface.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:05 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Folks are always scared of change...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 

The fanboism existed long before there was any mention of being bought out or change, though. That's not it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I don't think K was talking about just instagram

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:58 
Hibernating Druid

KovacsC wrote:
Folks are always scared of change...

It's not that, I just prefer notes.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 

Bobbyaro wrote:

What was he talking about then? In this Instagram and Facebook thread? Just a general fridge magnet motto for life?

Dance like nobody is watching.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:07 
Hibernating Druid

Loose lips, sink ships.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:

Wank like nobody's home.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Wank like nobody's home.

Pfffft. Wank like there's someone asleep In the same room.

Danger wank ftw.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 

Mimi wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

What was he talking about then? In this Instagram and Facebook thread? Just a general fridge magnet motto for life?

It as general but kinda relevant. Buying Instagram might be good might be bad, but either way it is change..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:12 

Curiosity wrote:
Pfffft. Wank like there's someone asleep In the same room.

Danger wank ftw.
And just like that, Curio guaranteed a room to himself for the cottage meet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm altogether meh about this too. Accusations of 'selling out' are quite idiotic since, even if it wasn't actively profitable, everything like this is set up with the intention to become profitable at some point. It's all still a business, not a free service designed and built out of the love of people sharing their stupid shit with everyone else.

Those publically flouncing on twitter about the horror of this acquisition can jolly well fuck off and make their own photo sharing service, and then refuse to sell it if it gets popular. Both highly likely scenarios.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
It's all still a business, not a free service designed and built out of the love of people sharing their stupid shit with everyone else.

Was it free, though, or did you have to pay for the app?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:38 

It's a free app

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

Sorry, I mean free in the sense of no advertising or any kind of attempt at monetisation, ever.

Standard internet sense of entitlement - nobody should expect to make any money ever if they want to retain the credibility of their whiny fans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Standard internet sense of entitlement - nobody should expect to make any money ever if they want to retain the credibility of their whiny fans.

Not at all - if people paid for the app in the first place then they have every right to want their money back if the purpose / workings of said app drastically change direction.

They didn't though, so I'm with you on this one. The conclusion "That's nice for them, and good of them to let me use it all those years for free." seems to be the most fitting one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:44 

people sharing their stupid shit with everyone else.

Why so much venom? Being able to connect with family and friends in an age where people don't stay in the same little community their whole lives, but move to new cities, counties and countries is a wonderful thing. To be able to do that so simply is wonderful. I saw the newborn pictures of my friend's baby after a really problematic pregnancy for the first time on Instagram.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:47 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
The conclusion "That's nice for them, and good of them to let me use it all those years for free." seems to be the most fitting one.

Now I'm in a slightly better mood, I agree with this.

Sorry GY.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:49 

EBG seems to be angry alot of the time, I imagine as a cross between the Hulk and Stressed Eric..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:51 

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
The conclusion "That's nice for them, and good of them to let me use it all those years for free." seems to be the most fitting one.

Now I'm in a slightly better mood, I agree with this.

Sorry GY.

I agree with it, too. Though I still think its a valid position to feel that it's a shame that it is something like 'Facebook' that has bought it out, if only because Facebook is such a mess in comparison to the simple, uncomplicated workings of IG.

To feel disappointed and to feel a sense of entitlement to it are very different things, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mimi wrote:
Why so much venom? Being able to connect with family and friends in an age where people don't stay in the same little community their whole lives, but move to new cities, counties and countries is a wonderful thing. To be able to do that so simply is wonderful. I saw the newborn pictures of my friend's baby after a really problematic pregnancy for the first time on Instagram.

Don't misunderstand Mimi, I'm not venomous about it. If that works for you then great, but my personal experience of these sites is that people share stupid shit that I couldn't give much of a toss about. The function of seeing pictures I'm interested in is fulfilled through a variety of other services without having to subscribe to something that _just_ shows me pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mimi wrote:
To feel disappointed and to feel a sense of entitlement to it are very different things, though.

Yeah sure, and I'm sure both sets of people are highly represented by this news. Disappointment is fine as long as you acknowledge these things are the reality of the world. Getting in a flap because you always want everything for free remains pretty damn stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:

Yeah sure, and I'm sure both sets of people are highly represented by this news. Disappointment is fine as long as you acknowledge these things are the reality of the world. Getting in a flap because you always want everything for free remains pretty damn stupid.

£2 a month.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 
Excellent Member

Getting in a flap because you always want everything for free remains pretty damn stupid.

I think it is less about the free and more about the Big Bad Cartoon Evil Facebook taking it over.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:03 
Sleepyhead

Are Facebook really that bad? They seem practically saintly compared to the likes of Apple, Nike, Tesco, Google, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:03 
Gogmagog

#start-of-comments" class="postlink">Grainuad readers comments flip from amusing to a bit mental.

Some are exceedingly precious about photography.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 

Mimi wrote:

Don't misunderstand Mimi, I'm not venomous about it. If that works for you then great, but my personal experience of these sites is that people share stupid shit that I couldn't give much of a toss about. The function of seeing pictures I'm interested in is fulfilled through a variety of other services without having to subscribe to something that _just_ shows me pictures.

I think many people use it as an uploading service to show pictures in Twitter. At least, that's how a lot of people I know use it.

But the question wasn't really about that. Just your language always makes you sound so angry, and I think being that angry all if the time must be kind of exhausting, but that's all off topic and doesn't matter anyway, so ignore it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
£2 a month.

For that though you actually have to be providing something. A free version of a forum that you're too cheap to buy a subscription for doesn't count, particularly when the most enthusiastic posts of which were 'Sign up to this pyramid referral scheme so I can get shit for free'. etc etc.

Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
Are Facebook really that bad? They seem practically saintly compared to the likes of Apple, Nike, Tesco, Google, etc.

I think those that dislike it still write "Micro$oft". I think the main complaint is to do with them operating a seemingly free service, and thendata mining stuff to target advertising to keep it running. I don't think it's a sinistermegaglobal corporation. In fact, there's room for another Facebook in that ecosystem. The average age of a facebook person is 48, and the average bnumber of friends is 150. Those that disparage it, aren't really the demographic

MaliA wrote:
#start-of-comments" class="postlink">Grainuad readers comments flip from amusing to a bit mental.

I'm not reading 162 comments. But seriously, what do you mean? In what way mental?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Errr... isn't instagram just a service to upload pictures to the internet.

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mimi wrote:
I think many people use it as an uploading service to show pictures in Twitter. At least, that's how a lot of people I know use it.

But the question wasn't really about that. Just your language always makes you sound so angry, and I think being that angry all if the time must be kind of exhausting, but that's all off topic and doesn't matter anyway, so ignore it.

Twitter already has such a service though, that was a bit of my point.

My language is blunt, but I'm not angry. As you say, being actively outraged at things would be very draining. I'm more benignly misanthropic and simply have no faith in the majority of the human race. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I'm not reading 162 comments. But seriously, what do you mean? In what way mental?

Grauniad reader wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to tell all instagram members to drop their accounts right now. That might send a message to silicon valley to refocus on things that matter. Would you folks kindly help to spread the word?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:11 
baron of techno

"Given what our world has become, we can also expect the multi-trillion badly-drawn-Harvest-Moon-rip-off empires to be continuously bailed out. I'd advise drawing your own crudely-realised farm animals and reverse engineer some other person's flash games while you can; they'll be worth billions in a few months."

"Turns out I had instagram installed, just deleted it, check and mate Zuckerberg..."

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 
Gogmagog

Quote:
Then explain to me why, exactly, you want to bastardise a photograph taken with the current end-product of one hundred years worth of photographic technology to make it look like something from forty years ago for nothing more than aesthetic wankery. Perhaps when you're done with your list of overdone cliches, you can spare the time to explaining your rather quite frankly ridiculous and breathless defence of an awful photo app. Please, I'm all literally breathless with unspeakable anticipation.

I do so love someone who - inbetween feeling superior and worrying that their self-proclaimed superiority is failing them - resorts to lots and lots of italics. Why don't you ask the Guardian team very nicely if they'll write in some code to allow you to put sparkly effects on your words as well.

I suppose the reason I despise Instagram and all of it's little fans - such as yourself - stems from my love of The Dickhead Song. Which really sums up the whole stinking community of Instagrammites in one fell swoop - "we're having nu-age fun with a vintage feel!"

No one has actually explained just *why* they feel the need to fuck up a perfectly decent digital camera shot with a fucktarded Polaroid filter though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 

Mimi wrote:

Twitter already has such a service though, that was a bit of my point.

My language is blunt, but I'm not angry. As you say, being actively outraged at things would be very draining. I'm more benignly misanthropic and simply have no faith in the majority of the human race. :)

Well, that's a shame. I think the vast majority of people are good people who just want the sane things, love, happiness and security. Have more faith in people :)

I'm not sure that uploading pictures to Twitter was always as easy as it is now, especially via mobile. I think you used to be asked to pick one if various photo upload services. Instagram was just one of (if not THE) nicest ones.

But Instagram does have a community of its own, and people can leave comments and their appreciation either of the pictures themselves or subject matter if the pictures if you share a particular interest with your followers (knitting, let's say), so people use it in different ways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:17 
Excellently Membered

I don't really get what Facebook get out of the deal? I would have assumed the're big enough to build and push a far better version of such software. They already have the market share of internet users data and images (citation needed), so why pay so much for the marginal users?

Gogmagog

I'm getting a really weird sense of deja vu.

baron of techno

Someone's drastically missing the point there too. It's not about applying filters to "the current end-product of one hundred years worth of photographic technology", it's about applying filters to the output of $2 VGA sensors with grimy lenses, taken of domestic scenes and such. Which are otherwise, with the best will in the world, not brilliant looking photos. Where's the harm?

MaliA wrote:
Quote:
Then explain to me why, exactly, you want to bastardise a photograph taken with the current end-product of one hundred years worth of photographic technology to make it look like something from forty years ago for nothing more than aesthetic wankery. Perhaps when you're done with your list of overdone cliches, you can spare the time to explaining your rather quite frankly ridiculous and breathless defence of an awful photo app. Please, I'm all literally breathless with unspeakable anticipation.

I do so love someone who - inbetween feeling superior and worrying that their self-proclaimed superiority is failing them - resorts to lots and lots of italics. Why don't you ask the Guardian team very nicely if they'll write in some code to allow you to put sparkly effects on your words as well.

I suppose the reason I despise Instagram and all of it's little fans - such as yourself - stems from my love of The Dickhead Song. Which really sums up the whole stinking community of Instagrammites in one fell swoop - "we're having nu-age fun with a vintage feel!"

No one has actually explained just *why* they feel the need to fuck up a perfectly decent digital camera shot with a fucktarded Polaroid filter though.
I guess people just like how these filters look and the fact that they can certainly hide some of the deficiencies of phone cameras, but to me they just make everyone's pictures all look a bit the same.

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next