Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 19:45 

"Machotaildrop" was ok, I'd probably have liked it better if it wasn't such a fucking headache to see it.

That & it's nothing like these two pieces of awesome starring the Manwolfs from the film :(

On the plus side it did inspire me to watch the Bones Brigade's "Search for Animal Chin" again :)

Post subject: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 23:29 
baron of techno

I have no idea what you just said!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 0:17 

Makes no sense whatsoever, does it?

It's like he's on XBox live!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 18:33 
Worst

GovernmentYard wrote:
Google Emily Blunt My Summer of Love.

She's one of my favourites ever. Her name even rhymes with where I want to stick my face.

You wanna stick your face here? ?:|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 20:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A common name and a universal thread has buggered up my chances of looking, but I can't be the only person to think Drive was a bit crap, right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 20:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh dear, the next film seems to star Justin Timberlake.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:05 

I thought he was excellent as the smug annoying cunt in the Social Network.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:06 
Worst

Grim... wrote:
A common name and a universal thread has buggered up my chances of looking, but I can't be the only person to think Drive was a bit crap, right?

It was divisive, for sure. Probably a page or two ago, Cavey was lovely enough to find some random negative reviews about it from the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 22:36 

Yeah, I didn't reckon much to it. However the discussion about it did make me go off and buy Ronin on Blu Ray, so that's something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 13:38 
SavyGamer

I'm two thirds of the way through In Time at the moment, and it's a load of bollocks.

Pretty close to turning it off actually.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 16:07 
Goth

I really liked In Time. I also really liked Adjustment Bureau.

The director of In Time also directed Gattaca, Simone, Lord of War (all great films) and wrote Truman Show.

That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 16:16 
SavyGamer

Yeah, I really liked Gattaca and Lord of War.

I thought In Time was fucking terrible though. The plot didn't even slightly add up, they made a film where there was an economy based entirely on time, but then clearly didn't have anyone with a vague grasp of economics involved in the making of it. Timberlake's character was basically "I am the hero so I will do selfless things because I am the hero." and most of the dialogue was just shite puns on the idea of time as a currency.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 16:25 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

LewieP wrote:
Yeah, I really liked Gattaca and Lord of War.

I thought In Time was fucking terrible though. The plot didn't even slightly add up, they made a film where there was an economy based entirely on time, but then clearly didn't have anyone with a vague grasp of economics involved in the making of it. Timberlake's character was basically "I am the hero so I will do selfless things because I am the hero." and most of the dialogue was just shite puns on the idea of time as a currency.

LewieP makes a good point, In Time sucked big salty balls

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 17:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DerekFME wrote:
I really liked In Time.

So did I.

LewieP wrote:
clearly didn't have anyone with a vague grasp of economics involved in the making of it

That's certainly true. It's also not clear how people can choose how much time to give to someone else, but also have the time stolen from them.

LewieP wrote:
Timberlake's character was basically "I am the hero so I will do selfless things because I am the hero."

Nah, he had lots of reasons. You're thinking of the guy in Drive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 20:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A Dangerous Method is a very Interesting, if slow, watch.
Kiera Knightly gets it one star and is impressively dirty, but is made up like an old hag.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 19:35 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Watched Hanna last night with mrs.W and it was maximum brilliant! I can confidently say that its going on the Shelf Of Films That I Will Watch More Than Once, next to 5th element and tokyo drift.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 20:02 
baron of techno

I've decided that 'Drive' is rubbish after all, 'Faster' does the job properly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 21:25 
Comfortably Dumb

Trialling Netflix has brought one benefit so far - watching 'My Soul To Take' didn't cost me anything. Overly long and overly rubbish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:29 
Sitting balls-back folder

We saw The Artist last night. It's really good - and also the first film I wouldn't rather watch at home. So much so that i can't see me buying the bluray.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 22:33 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Hobo With A Shotgun.

Its Ace in your Face.

And it contains many excellent lines for you to quote.

Abby: You can't solve all the world's problems with a shotgun.
Hobo: It's the only way I know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:51 

It's fucking shit, is what it is. I'll watch Rutger Hauer in pretty much anything, but Hobo... was shockingly bad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 17:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Just watched the new Muppets movie.

Thoroughly excellent in every way possible :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 18:15 
Awesome
Yes

Trooper wrote:

want to see this. I already love the song from it. "Am I a maaaaarrn? Or am I a muppet?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 23:47 
Gogmagog

Chasing Amy (like all other Smith films, except Dogma) is a solid 4/10. Some bits of dialogue are well done, but the rest of the film stinks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 23:49 

Did you not like Clerks? And Mallrats?

Admittedly Mallrats isn't brilliant, but it's decent. Clerks is a solid classic, though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 23:56 
Gogmagog

Clerks has its moments, but isn't great. See also Mallrats.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Watched The Inbetweeners movie tonight. Not as good as the series but still very funny.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:27 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:

OT a tad, but if you're a Muppet fan then get onto Netflix US and watch the documentary 'Being Elmo' - it's rather good. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 14:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

Four_Candles wrote:
Trooper wrote:

OT a tad, but if you're a Muppet fan then get onto Netflix US and watch the documentary 'Being Elmo' - it's rather good. :)

Added to the download-a-tron, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:49 
Excellent Member

Went to the Closing Gala of the Dublin IFF yesterday and the film was "Death of a Superhero".

It is about Donald, a 14 year old who has a knack for drawing comics. He draws a superhero, the strong silent type, whose mortal enemy is The Glove, a baddie with syringes for fingers. He is also going through adolescence and is doing the usual thing of 14 year olds , going off the rails, worrying about those around him and scared that he will die a virgin.

Because he will die, and soon, as he has terminal cancer. His parents, neither of whom are coping well with his illness, hook him up with a shrink played by Andy Serkis and slowly but surely Donald is brought out of his shell and everyone realises how he affects those around him. It is a wonderful film, full of humanity, hilarity and some bittersweet moments. Brilliantly acted, especially by Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Donald (he was the boy in Love Actually and in the the Doctor Who two-parter Family of Blood) and walks a very fine line between tragedy and comedy, the real world and Donalds animated creations.

The cinema was in floods of tears, both at the comedy and tragedy - I thoroughly, thoroughly recommend it.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 22:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

kalmar wrote:
OI. It's The Thing scum next.

<cough>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 23:30 
Excellent Member

krazywookie wrote:
Hobo With A Shotgun.

Its Ace in your Face.

And it contains many excellent lines for you to quote.

You, sir, are a dirty fucking liar and I put it to you that Hobo With A Shotgun is one of the worst films ever made. It has not a single redeeming feature and is a complete waste of any and all resources that went into it's production. After your recommendation I took it for something in the style of the fantastic Machete but, oh God, how wrong I was. I'm not exagerrating in the slightest here, I have never watched a worse film and that's coming from someone who quite enjoyed Human Traffic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 23:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh, I saw another kidnap-type film called Trespass.

It was fairly good. Nick Cage did his best acting since Face/Off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:19 
Sitting balls-back folder

Machete and Hobo are both in the latest pile of blurays. Last night was Drive - it thought it was weird but good, hel didn't like it at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 20:40 
Comfortably Dumb

Watched a couple of average films this weekend -

Training Day. 'Cool and Exciting' says the box quote, which means lots of swearing I guess.

The Bone Collector. Rather contrived nonsense where Denzel Washington seems to be the only bloke with access to any technology or brain cells. Oh and a serial killer who
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
despite being very meticulous and careful, still manages to botch killing a bloke who can only move his head and a finger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 20:52 

Crazy, Stupid, Love is better than you'd think from the concept and cast. Amusing way to while away a couple of hours. Good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 20:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Captain Caveman wrote:
Drive was massively overrated IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it was (sort of) enjoyable enough as a switch-your-brain-off-lads-movie, but the plot was very thin, entirely implausible and terribly cliched (the main character was frankly a walking cliche - that whole cheesy and constantly repeated "you've got me for 5 minutes" line; his not carrying a gun, the almost total lack of any interaction with his love interest or pretty much anyone else etc.). The ending was ridiculous as well, and what the fuck was it with that hideous, laughably out of place soundtrack?

ARGGHHHH! So much wrongness in one post, and that goes for everyone who doesn't like Drive.

I wrote down all my thoughts about this film pretty succinctly before discovering that someone else on the imdb forums had already done it, and had also taken the time to read/watch all the interviews with the directors and cast that they could too.

I'll quote it in full below, but the basic thrust of this film is that the main character in Drive is a superhero (albeit not a 'goody' superhero), he's not of this world, he's not a real person as such, the first half of the film deals with him trying to be a part of a normal world, the second half his reversion to form, as a predator. (The symbolism and iconography in the film is absolutely crystal clear, I cottoned on about 30 minutes into my first watch that it wasn't a 'literal' film in many regards.)

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of discussion revolving around the character of Driver, and what he did in the movie. Whether he was right in the head, autistic, or even a psychopath. And the truth is that it can be interpreted multiple ways, none of which is more or less inaccurate than the one before. That’s why I put ‘theory’ in the title.

Anyways, I’ve watched/read all of Gosling’s and Refn’s interviews on ‘Drive’ that I could find. There are a few bullet points which keep popping up consistently in each one;

* The Driver was created as a mythological superhero, one who wears his jacket and gloves as a costume.

NOTE: This makes a lot of sense. If you notice, the Driver wears his Levi’s trucker jacket under the Scorpion one. You could say that the Levi’s outerwear piece is the equivalent of Clark Kent’s suit or Peter Parker’s high school hoodie. Driver uses it to blend in with the rest of the crowd at the end of the beginning car chase, as the Scorpion one would be too easy to spot (as would Superman’s tights and Peter Parker’s Spidey outfit).

* The character of the Driver has been influenced by several different movie icons including The Man with No Name.

NOTE: This is no coincidence because the reason Driver works as a movie stuntman is because he FEELS his whole life is a movie. As said in an interview, he doesn’t belong to the world he’s in. He’s an anomaly trying to find his place in an environment that is alien to him. In my opinion, ‘Drive’ portrays how a mythological hero (Driver) would interact with a realistic world. Which brings me to…

* There is a consistent theme of what are the makings of a ‘hero’. A hero in the mythological sense is almost always someone who deals in extreme violence to resolve the damsel in distress’ issues, whereas heroes in real life don’t usually engage in such behavior.

NOTE: This is the meat of this theory and I suspect Driver’s character as well. College’s ‘A Real Hero’ plays several times during the movie with lines like ‘a real human being… and a real hero’. There’s a huge significance there. Driver operates as a mythological hero, because that’s who he feels like in the world he’s in, except it’s portrayed as a realistic one – a sharp contrast to his character. Hence there’s almost a darkly satirical undertone to the violence in the movie, as with every brutal act, Driver seems to fail at not just appealing to Irene, but outright frightens her.

These three points are all connected by Driver’s destiny to be a ‘hero’. However, as it would be in real life, his mythological nature does not jibe well with the other, ordinary characters. At one point Driver asks Bernie over the phone if he’s ever heard the story of the Scorpion and the Frog.

The story is simple enough; a scorpion decides it wants to go against its nature and explore places not meant for it. The scorpion stumbles upon a frog which it goads into giving him a ride across the river. The mentality scorpion uses to convince the frog is not a completely nonsensical one; if the frog gets stung by the scorpion at any point during their trip, the latter will drown along with the first. However, halfway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog who demands to know why had it done such a thing. The scorpion helplessly replies;

“I could not help myself. It is my nature.”

That’s the key to Driver’s functionality. He is an alien to our world and he cannot fight his own nature. That’s why violence comes so easily to him, and why he’s so efficient at it. He is simply put – otherworldly. If there’s a character arc to him, it’s that in the beginning Driver is trying to hide his dormant side of him (the scorpion) from others in order to blend in, while later on he is forced to unleash it upon the people who threaten those he loves.

And now for the ending. Having lost Shannon, the only person in his life who truly made him feel like he had a place on Earth, the Driver decides it’s time to stop pretending that he’s an ordinary human anymore. He goes on to kill Nino and Bernie, who is really the flipside of Driver's coin. The mask he dons when the Driver kills Nino is not worn for its tactical significance as much as it is for theatricality. He also never takes off his bloody jacket because of the acceptance of his nature. We first see Driver looking into the diner with it to further signify his isolation from his environment. Here’s a pretender looking in at a party where everyone seems to be having a great time. Driver watches with fascination and curiosity at their behavior. Then after crashing Nino’s car, the Driver wears his ‘costume’ because he wants Nino to actually SEE him for the first time, his real self, his true nature – a hero, a demigod, a freak. It’s this realization which cements the fact that the Driver has not become anything more than he already was, but is rather simply following his destiny. And that’s the first time Nino is scared *beep* and no longer tries to fight but to flee.

Later on, the Driver walks into the restaurant to meet with Bernie, who notices the Driver wearing the same bloody jacket. Here's another interesting comparison; having been put into a situation where both had to relent to a certain pressure and expose their true natures, Driver and Bernie handle their situations a bit differently. Driver, evidently (since he's wearing the same bloody jacket), no longer cares to hide his scorpion nature. However, Bernie cleans his knives after each kill, still trying to cling onto an image that can never truly be his. They are both scorpions, in a way, and their altercation in the parking lot is less of a logical or pre-meditated outcome and more of a force of nature. Bernie can't resist trying to 'sting' Driver and gets 'stung' in return. After the altercation in the parking lot, the Driver sits in his car seat looking on while College’s ‘A Real Hero’ plays in the background. Then, the Driver blinks and continues on. This is not meant to symbolize his death in any way, but to let us know that the Driver is still the mythological hero he was since his birth/creation. Lost in a world where his only medium for having purpose are movies, pop songs, and dangerous crime endeavors, the Driver resigns to his fate. He leaves Irene (without the money she didn’t want in the first place) because he knows he’ll never have a place with her after the elevator episode, and the East Coast mob will be looking for it so having it out of the equation solidifies Irene's security even further. And so, the Driver continues onwards to the next city where he can either begin anew and try to resist his nature(also referenced in the song ‘Oh My Love’, an action the Scorpion failed to do), or succumb to it (which would lead him to his eventual demise as it did the Scorpion). It's not a hero riding into the sunset, but a predator taking comfort in the darkness of the road ahead. That is the cliffhanger.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts. Of course, everything's open to interpretation. I simply love this movie and this theory was born out of it. No pretentiousness or condescension intended.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 21:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DerekFME wrote:
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil - An unexpected delight. Very clever and well done.
:this:

I concur, me and Mrs AE watched this and it's one of those rare films that just 'gets' you within the first five minutes, you like the characters and you want to see what happens to them.

Clever balance of comedy and horror, and subverts quite a few genre conventions along the way.

Excellent stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 21:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
You, sir, are a dirty fucking liar and I put it to you that Hobo With A Shotgun is one of the worst films ever made. It has not a single redeeming feature and is a complete waste of any and all resources that went into it's production. After your recommendation I took it for something in the style of the fantastic Machete but, oh God, how wrong I was. I'm not exagerrating in the slightest here, I have never watched a worse film and that's coming from someone who quite enjoyed Human Traffic.

I loved Hobo With A Shotgun, each to their own I guess :)

Justice should always be dispensed one shell at a time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 23:06 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

OK, having just watched 'Splice' I need a clarification regarding the Craster One Star Rating. Is there a minimum level of humanness required for the boobs to warrant a star? The exact proportions aren't made clear but I'd guess its around a third.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 17:20 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I watched the US remake of 'Girl with a Dragon Tatoo' at the weekend.

My main emotion throughout was one of boredom, it really is quite a dull film, strange given some of the stuff that is depicted in it. And what was going on with the accents? It seems everyone was channelling the Chef from the Muppets...apart from Daniel Craig who obviously couldn't be bothered.

Rating: Ho Hum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 19:13 
Excellent Member

Agreed. It didn't do much for me either.

I haven't seen the original - is it 'better'?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 19:22 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Slightly better, it has a made for television feeling to it but the leading lady is much better...as in more convincing as 'super duper hacker chick'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 20:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

I watched "Tomorrow, when the war began" last night. T'was ok, a bit boring and very shallow in terms of character depth. Still, one of the girls had very nice jubblies, but you didn't get to see them, so zero on the Craster scale i'm afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:52 
Time Out for Fun

Hugo was pretty good although it's barely got anything in common with the video game other than trains.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 21:07 
Hello Hello Hello

TANGO AND CASH was last night's 'entertainment'.

Yes the Stallone and Kurt Russell thing from 1989, which I probably haven't watched for twenty years or so, and which I remembered as being pretty good.

FUCKING LOAD OF BOLLOCKS!

It just about kept me watching to the end, but that was mostly just to stare agog at the parade of late 80s shittery.

And a young Teri Hatcher, of course.

Attachment:
gal_strip_teri-hatcher_tango-and-cash.jpg

Attachment:
11316321_gal.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 22:13 

Just watched Paul. Love Pegg & Frost but have always put off seeing this as the trailer was so utterly awful.

Thank heavens trailers get it wrong sometimes though, as I thoroughly enjoyed this and would deffo recommend it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 22:18 
Sleepyhead

Agent Starling wrote:
Just watched Paul. Love Pegg & Frost but have always put off seeing this as the trailer was so utterly awful.

Thank heavens trailers get it wrong sometimes though, as I thoroughly enjoyed this and would deffo recommend it.

Pretty much everyone says this. Whoever made the trailer needs a punch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 23:04 

Curiosity wrote:
Agent Starling wrote:

Pretty much everyone says this. Whoever made the trailer needs a punch.

Yeah it was an odd one, wasn't it? Made it look like the most hateful film.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 21:50 
Hello Hello Hello

I've now watched DRIVE four times and I think it might just be one of my favourite films ever.

It's almost unspeakably beautiful in places, just truly lovely, which is what makes its descent into chaos and violence all the more wrenching when it happens.

Great review here:

http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/d/11_drive.htm

Quote:
Now, with "Drive," he has reached a new lofty plateau in his career reserved for the very best actors of his or any generation. Deserving to do for him what 1976's "Taxi Driver" did for Robert De Niro, this auspicious new classic doesn't fall strictly into any one genre, but works like gangbusters as all of them. A constantly unpredictable crime thriller; an edgily tense, aesthetically superb action movie; a cutthroat, uncompromising revenge pic; a sad, lyrical love story—"Drive" aces through each one while making it look like the easiest thing in the world to accomplish. The film is at once unmercifully violent, methodically straightforward, sumptuously layered, and dramatically rich, pulp fiction cranked up to eleven and injected with a welcome new depth and legitimacy. It's sure to thrill the mainstream, but cinephiles will be the ones walking away most wowed by everything else it also has to offer.

Quote:
"Drive" pivots and corkscrews, thrills and recoils, frightens and gratifies while wearing a transcendent bare heart on its sleeve for Driver, Irene, and every viewer to see. That the film consistently surprises without taking a wrong step is only further testament to how in-sync all involved—but most prominently, director Winding Refn, actor Gosling, and screenwriter Amini—were from conception to final delivery. In regard to the technical specs, they're not only miraculous, but essential. Newton Thomas Sigel's (2010's "Leap Year") cinematography pulsates with energy and inspiration whether the camera is moving or standing still, while the irreplaceable use of music is phenomenal and cool, full of moody, '80s-inspired synth beats that help to illuminate Driver's very being. Kavinsky's "Nightcall" is note-perfect over the opening credits, lettered in hot pink as Driver does what he does best around a glistening downtown L.A. after dark, while the recurring "A Real Hero" by College feat. Electric Youth is the film's aural heartbeat. This is one movie that wouldn't be the same without its soundtrack, or, for that matter, any of its countless attributes. All of them collectively add up to lightning in a bottle. In a year of near-perpetual ennui at the multiplex, "Drive," at long last, is a real, true, passionate motion picture to replenish a doubting cinema lover's soul.

Reply to topic  [ 21126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 423  Next