Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 33
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:16 
Unpossible!

Craster wrote:
There's not enough room in a double bed for two people.

*avoids obvious*

Post subject: Bits and Bobs 33
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Craster wrote:

There is. Just not when they're actual giants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 

Mrs C wanted an Emperor sized Tempur mattress; as a result the bed itself is the size of a small country. I must admit it's very comfy and all that, but feck me, it was expensive. For that kind of dosh, I want ignition keys.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:31 
Sleepyhead

Craster wrote:

And certainly not enough room for three!

Sadly, our bedroom is not long enough to fit in a king sized bed. We have a king sized duvet though, obv.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:32 

Isn't that a kind of batter?

I think even small tempur mattresses are scarily expensive. I've laid on one once and didn't like it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

But when you think about it, you'll spend far more of your life asleep in bed than you will driving, eating, or working, so you might as well invest well in one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 

Mimi wrote:
I think even small tempur mattresses are scarily expensive. I've laid on one once and didn't like it myself.

Yeah, they are stupidly expensive, but to be fair, Mrs C suffers from a bad back and it's helped her enormously, so hey, money well spent. I personally thought it felt a bit weird at first - and I like a very firm mattress - but I've totally got used to it and I really like it now as well.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 
Excellent Member

King size beds are ace. No more sleeping on the edge of the mattress for me :) And you never sleep right at the top of the bed, so my feet would hang over the edge of a double, sometimes.

I can curl up in this bed and still be far enough away from Ramsea to be unaware of his presence. Apart from the snoring. And there's room for children and their cold hands and feet in the middle :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:37 
baron of techno

Curiosity wrote:
Wullie wrote:
MaliA wrote:
'Swingers' is not an instruction manual...
WTF is it then? :DD

It's a way of life.

Curiosity wrote:
Craster wrote:

And certainly not enough room for three!

OK man, we get it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:45 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
But when you think about it, you'll spend far more of your life asleep in bed than you will driving, eating, or working, so you might as well invest well in one.

oh, I totally agree. Never scrimp on beds and shoes, I do firmly believe that.

I just didn't understand why the tempur mattresses are so regarded or expensive. Obviously if people find them comfortable then that's reward itself, I just didn't like it very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 
Skillmeister

I find the memory foam stuff far too sweaty. And that was in Winter. Lawks knows how hot they'd get in Summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Memory foam mattresses are just giant sponges, soaking up sweat and dribble.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
Memory foam mattresses are just giant sponges, soaking up sweat and dribble.

Now I'm picturing wringing one out with giant hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:55 

Can't say I've noticed that; I've always thought it quite cool and airy. I'm like a furnace as well; I hate getting too warm in bed.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:58 
Bad Girl

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:

My friend says this too but in the four years since I picked up a cheap-ass mattress I've had no regard for it whatsoever.

Don't be fooled people, mattresses are hideously expensive and you won't remember what level of firmness it is 6 months after purchase.

Scrimp on mattress and buy a bigger louder TV. That's something you will notice everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:59 
Comfortably Dumb

"We need you to tag along to our two-day meeting in Swansea. Not sure how much you'll be needed but figured we'd better bring you along just in case"
"Oh, ok. When is it?"
"Tomorrow"

Good job I had nothing planned I suppose. I just hope it isn't a complete waste of time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:06 
Sitting balls-back folder

devilman wrote:
"We need you to tag along to our two-day meeting in Swansea. Not sure how much you'll be needed but figured we'd better bring you along just in case"
"Oh, ok. When is it?"
"Tomorrow"
"Fuck off!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:33 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:
3:01pm. I receive a phone call. There's a guest speaker in one of the lecture rooms and he needs his laptop attaching to the projector. First I've heard of it.
3:06pm. I arrive at the room, at the other end of the campus to witness 3 non-technical staff prising open the AV cabinet and jerry-rigging the laptop into the system.
3:06:10pm. I turn my arse around and leave the room. Fuck them. If they break it, it's not my fault.

If they'd bothered to book tech support in advance instead of with minus-one minutes' notice, I could have had the room up and running before anyone even arrived, but apparently they'd prefer to scrabble around in the dark with a room full of students looking on. Fucking amateurs.

So... I just had to sweet talk my way out of a severe bollocking over this. :S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I had a feeling you would... Hope it all worked out ok!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:40 
Skillmeister

Ah the life of a techy. Getting bollocked for someone else's fuck ups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:40 
Awesome
Yes

DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
3:01pm. I receive a phone call. There's a guest speaker in one of the lecture rooms and he needs his laptop attaching to the projector. First I've heard of it.
3:06pm. I arrive at the room, at the other end of the campus to witness 3 non-technical staff prising open the AV cabinet and jerry-rigging the laptop into the system.
3:06:10pm. I turn my arse around and leave the room. Fuck them. If they break it, it's not my fault.

If they'd bothered to book tech support in advance instead of with minus-one minutes' notice, I could have had the room up and running before anyone even arrived, but apparently they'd prefer to scrabble around in the dark with a room full of students looking on. Fucking amateurs.

So... I just had to sweet talk my way out of a severe bollocking over this. :S

"Show me the e-mail or call log requesting my help."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:42 
Unpossible!

I got my digs in as well. There will now be a advance booking for every guest lecture, regardless of technical requirements.

Minor victory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:46 
Skillmeister

Ho ho! As if they'll remember that. Ah, I recall similar things being promised and then someone nearly kicking down the IT door in rage because we weren't psychic and didn't turn up for his presentation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:49 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

HMS Dauntless sent to Argentina S/Atlantic.
Quote:
THE Royal Navy is to send one of its most powerful warships to the Falkland Islands as tensions rise with Argentina over the disputed territory.

The News understands HMS Dauntless will deploy to the South Atlantic in late March – almost 30 years to the day that a naval task force left Portsmouth to reclaim the Falklands after Argentina invaded in 1982.

The South Atlantic patrol is one of the navy’s global commitments and a warship is sent there every year.

But Portsmouth-based Dauntless will be the first of the navy’s new £1bn Type 45 destroyers to go to the area.

The deployment comes after a period of increased rhetoric between London and Buenos Aires about who has the right to rule the islands.

Dauntless would be a valuable asset if Argentina attempted to restage its 1982 invasion. She is armed with supersonic Sea Viper missiles and an air defence system which can take out targets the size of a cricket ball moving at three times the speed of sound.

A navy source said: ‘HMS Dauntless is an elite warship. She is one of six Type 45s built for the navy as the most advanced fighting ships in the world.

‘She is going to the Falklands on a routine deployment, but the fact the navy is sending her there and not one of the older warships is significant.’

The Falklands patrol will be Dauntless’s first operational deployment.

It comes after her sister ship HMS Daring left for her first mission to the Gulf at a time of worsening relations with Iran over its nuclear ambitions.

Admiral Lord West, a former First Sea Lord and Falklands veteran who was in command of HMS Ardent when she was sunk by Argentina with the loss of 22 men, said: ‘The Type 45s are becoming a key part of our modern force.

‘The thing that is fascinating about them is they’ve got the most amazing anti-air warfare capability.

‘Should there be any foolish nonsense from Argentina, Dauntless can sit just off the airfield and take down any aircraft coming in. It’s a game-changing capability.’

The deployment of HMS Dauntless to the Falklands follows criticism of the government’s decision to axe the navy’s Harrier jump jets and HMS Ark Royal – leaving Britain without an aircraft carrier until at least 2020.

Military strategy expert, Commodore Steve Jermy, who served in the Falklands War, said: ‘We have a critical lack of carriers so the Falklands is much more vulnerable than it’s been for many years. Sending Dauntless down there, while it doesn’t make up for the carrier gap, shows resolve.

‘It’s a very prudent deployment.’

At the weekend, former Army chief General Sir Michael Jackson warned it would be ‘impossible’ to reclaim the Falklands if it was invaded today.

Brigadier Bill Aldridge, commander of British forces in the South Atlantic, responded by saying: ‘I am not expecting to hand the islands over to anybody and therefore put us in a position to have to retake the islands.’

And that might fall into the "condescending" category.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

The amount of people who don't know how to work a projector in the companies that I have worked in, is terrifying. Particularly as I work in places that are supposedly full of techies and engineers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:52 
Unpossible!

My lot find 'on' buttons troublesome. Not as troublesome as the 'off' button though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bobbyaro wrote:
Quote:
She is armed with supersonic Sea Viper missiles and an air defence system which can take out targets the size of a cricket ball moving at three times the speed of sound.

Are the Argies renowned for attacking boats with cricket balls?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 14:01 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Could be useful in the UAE at the mo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 14:22 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Craster wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Quote:
She is armed with supersonic Sea Viper missiles and an air defence system which can take out targets the size of a cricket ball moving at three times the speed of sound.

Are the Argies renowned for attacking boats with cricket balls?

Polo balls. They're about the size of a cricket ball.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 15:52 

Trooper wrote:
GazChap wrote:
I have much the same problem, Russ. I have a double bed.

Solution I found was to just buy a king size duvet and cover, and use that on the double bed. The extra overhang from the duvet covers my feet nicely so the fact that they're dangling off the end doesn't matter.

There is another solution you know.

Buy a king size bed.

£40 for a decent king-size duvet and cover.

vs

£200 for a decent king-size bed. £400 (?) for a decent king-size mattress. Plus the original £40 for the decent king-size duvet and cover?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 16:21 

comparing buying a new duvet with buying a new bed is like someone asking where to buy shoes and you saying 'but socks will keep your feet warm if you don't mind never walking outside'.

Having your feet hanging off the end of the bed in Russell's case pretty much means having everything below the knee hanging off of the bed. So he'll still be knees bent taking up 90% of the available bed space, there will just be more duvet cover hanging over the sides. We don't have a problem with the duvet, just the bed size. I don't think just letting your feet hang off of the bed, whether they are covered or not, is really the point. Plus, it means that his head always ends up on my pillow, and then he karate chops me in the throat, or (a new thing) I hit him in the head. It's ace.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 16:28 
Best
Board Mother

I have a King Size bed, I could never go back to a double unless I was sleeping alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 17:46 
Awesome
Yes

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
I have a King Size bed, I could never go back to a double unless I was sleeping alone.

Where you get it from?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 17:48 
Skillmeister

Dude, you're a brisk walk away from Ikea! I got my mattress from there 15 years ago and it's still supah boffo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 17:50 
Awesome
Yes

Dimrill wrote:
Dude, you're a brisk walk away from Ikea! I got my mattress from there 15 years ago and it's still supah boffo.

Might go for a lie down there then. Just got to transport the bastard thing home if I do that, and get it up the stairs.
As long as they do standard sizes now so I can still buy bedding and shiznit in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 17:52 
Skillmeister

Go to the little office thingy on the bottom right of THE IKEA CUBE and get an delivery man to an deliver it. He can lug it up the stairs while you watch sipping tea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 17:53 
Sleepyhead

I have a double bed with a leather footboard. I often sleep with my feet 'tucked in' between it and the mattress. When I'm not sleeping on the sofa-bed anyway.

Also, we have a super awesome mattress of part pocket springs and part memory foam. It's excellently comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 17:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Russell wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Might go for a lie down there then.

Fine! Ignore the twice I've already told you to go to Ikea!

They don't quite have standard sizes still, but all our bedding is non-Ikea and fits fine.

I (and Malabar) also have a lovely sprung mattress with a memory-foam topper from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Craster wrote:

I (and Malabar) also have a lovely sprung mattress with a memory-foam topper from there.

Do you share it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:16 

Craster wrote:
They don't quite have standard sizes still, but all our bedding is non-Ikea and fits fine.

Ikea's sizes are standard... across most of Europe, where they have the metric system. They don't know what the fuck a 'queen size' is. They call it 'royale with pillows'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
They don't know what the fuck a 'queen size' is. They call it 'royale with pillows'.

:DD

Standard across Europe doesn't help when you go and try and buy a fitted sheet from Debenhams. It's close enough though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:24 

Craster wrote:
Standard across Europe doesn't help when you go and try and buy a fitted sheet from Debenhams.
True, but to listen to some Brits go on about it Ikea's bed sizes are some sort of evil bedding lock-in conspiracy. The perfectly reasonable explanation of "there's a lot more people in Europe than in Britain so why should Ikea make different beds for our antiquated standards?" seems to be ignored. It's all a bit FOG IN CHANNEL, EUROPE ISOLATED for my tastes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's fine, if you want to be a 2mx2m.

I'm a SUPERKING.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:39 
Gogmagog

Day 2 finished. It was hard work but pleasing. Websense is used to block gmail so I assume everything else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:41 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

TheVision wrote:
Craster wrote:

Do you share it?

Yeah, as if Craster is a man who understands how to share…

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 18:46 
Skillmeister

Malabelm wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Craster wrote:

Do you share it?

Yeah, as if Craster is a man who understands how to share…

It's quite simple. He'd have the upside part, you'd have the underneath. Beware of pork fart seepage through the material though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 20:40 
Comfortably Dumb

BikNorton wrote:
devilman wrote:
"Oh, ok. When is it?"
"Tomorrow"
"Fuck off!"

I wish I was in a position to say that. Sadly, it's rather important so I can't get out of it. On the plus side, I could legitimately put 'Out of the country on business' as my Out of Office message, which makes me sound more important. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 20:54 
Worst

I'd love a change of scenery at work. Even if it is Wales.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 22:14 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Mr Russell wrote:
Speaking of beds. Any other tall people here got experience of buying massively large beds and recommendations for shops?

I'm your man. I run a super king-size on a kustom frame.

Bought SKS matress from IKEA. wont be doing that again, theres a big gap down the middle that mrs. Wookie falls into all the time so I advise against IKEA.

Built frame out of softwood to fit matress, this costs however much wood costs and if I can manage it so can you. I even made it abnormally high off the ground so that it looks like a normal bed until you get close up to it and it turns out to be massive. I :luv: my bed! (despite the rubbish but very expensize IKEA matress of crap)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 22:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

krazywookie wrote:
theres a big gap down the middle that mrs. Wookie falls into all the time so I advise against IKEA.

8)

Is it one that folds in two or something?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2974 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 60  Next