Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 32
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:55 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
WTF? It's really that hard to have a written notice setting out what they've done wrong, a disciplinary meeting, a follow up email saying "this is our decision, you have a right to appeal", and then sacking them?

If it's too much you just ask ACAS to tell you how to do it, as it's their Code that applies.

It's considered prudent to offer more training to an employee who lacks the skill, before running through the grievance procedures.

As well as being prudent, it's the morally right thing to do. At the extreme end, if someone's not performing well at their job because you haven't given them the required training, it would not be considered a fair dismissal to sack them for it.

Mali didn't say anything about "required" training, he said "more" training. And I'd just rather get someone who can do the job they said they could, to be honest.

That's why I said the extreme end.

Generally it's a good idea with performance issues, and the decent thing to do, to give someone a little bit of time to show that they can turn their poor performance around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Generally it's a good idea with performance issues, and the decent thing to do, to give someone a little bit of time to show that they can turn their poor performance around.

Does the government pay for it? That and the person who replaces him while he's away?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 
ugvm'er at heart...

Some people are just twats though.

Our place generally does an "agreed quitting" which costs a fortune, but is worth it in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What is that? Sort of the "don't phone us" method?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Daily Mail reports of a burglar writing a letter to his victims as part of an exercise in remorse and rehabililtation. It reads:

Quote:

Dear Victim,
I dont no Why Iam Writing a letter to you! I have been forced to Write this letter by ISSp. TO be honest I'm not bothered or sorry about the fact that I burgled your houSe. BaSicly it was your fault anyways. I'm ging to run you through the dumb mistakes you made. firstly you didn't draw your urtains which most people do no before they go to sleep. Secondly your dumb you live in Stainburns a hgh risk burglary area and your thick enough to leave your downstairs kitchen window open. I wouldn't do that in a million years. But anyways I dont feel sorry for you and Im not going to show any sympth or remores
your sincerly

The comment section is as one would expect.

Call me a cynic but I bet it's fake. The level of spelling in the letter seems to fluctuate for one thing.

Agreed, no way he could spell burglary and bothered, but not high.

Hell, I can't even spell burglary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:

"it's not really working out for both of us, how about you just don't come back tomorrow if we pay you some cash still give you a 3 month notice period"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:

"it's not really working out for both of us, how about you just don't come back tomorrow if we pay you some cash still give you a 3 month notice period"

Eesch, that does sound expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

The length of notice period is obviously contract based, and that is the extreme end. We either do 1 or 3 month notice periods I think.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:22 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Does the government pay for it? That and the person who replaces him while he's away?

Eh? What sort of a daft question is that? That's not something you're required to do by law (although ebad faith in respect to this could cause the dismissal to be unfair), it's something I'm saying I would expect an employer to do if they weren't cackling mustachioed mine owners.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

some of the stuff that's all fair and reasonable in a 10,000 strong workforce does become an utter ballache in a 10 strong workforce, mind. You don't have the leeway to spend 3 months rehabilitating one tenth of your workforce at once, for example.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
some of the stuff that's all fair and reasonable in a 10,000 strong workforce does become an utter ballache in a 10 strong workforce, mind. You don't have the leeway to spend 3 months rehabilitating one tenth of your workforce at once, for example.

No one is forcing you to do that, are they?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, depends if you want to be thought of as a mustachioed mine owner, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:

No, but it wouldn't be "decent" if we didn't, right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:33 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:

It would certainly reduce exposure to claims, for sure. Paying them to sod off is the best way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

Craster wrote:

Which is also related to the reason that many small businesses don't employ women in their twenties...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:45 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:

I'm not sure where anyone has even remotely suggested spending 3 months rehabilitiating a tenth of anyone's workforce. I've got better things to do than have arguments about things I haven't said. My arse needs scratching, for one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 
Gogmagog

ONE MONTH UNTIL CHRISTMAS EVE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 
INFINITE POWAH

So, the people we bought the house off still haven't changed the address with the DVLA for their car, despite us forwarding on every tax disc reminder we've had for them over the last 5 years or so. He's now had a notice of intended prosecution from the police for speeding. I was tempted to bin it, but Mrs K has sent it on. What can happen if you effectively ignore that sort of notice? Presumably you'd get a bigger fine for not paying the initial fine?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:50 
Hibernating Druid

You get three months training with full pay.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:56 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
So, the people we bought the house off still haven't changed the address with the DVLA for their car, despite us forwarding on every tax disc reminder we've had for them over the last 5 years or so. He's now had a notice of intended prosecution from the police for speeding. I was tempted to bin it, but Mrs K has sent it on. What can happen if you effectively ignore that sort of notice? Presumably you'd get a bigger fine for not paying the initial fine?

I assume he'd be tried and convicted in abstentia, then they will look a bit to recover the money. The person might then get a shock at insurance renewal time, or if they are ever stopped and identified, probably arrested for non payment of fines.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm not sure where anyone has even remotely suggested spending 3 months rehabilitiating a tenth of anyone's workforce.

If you go through the process of evaluating what steps to take when someone isn't up to snuff, decide that training would help, get them trained, give them a reasonable time to evaluate their progress post-training, decide they're not any better at their job, then go through the steps needed to get them replaced, that's going to be a 3 month process pretty much any way you look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm not sure where anyone has even remotely suggested spending 3 months rehabilitiating a tenth of anyone's workforce.

If you go through the process of evaluating what steps to take when someone isn't up to snuff, decide that training would help, get them trained, give them a reasonable time to evaluate their progress post-training, decide they're not any better at their job, then go through the steps needed to get them replaced, that's going to be a 3 month process pretty much any way you look at it.

Sorry, but bollocks is it. If we're just going to make up timescales I say you could do it in an afternoon and still have time for a celebratory pub crawl.

Also, if you've got a halfway decent appaisal system you wouldn't get to the point of having to give someone 3 months grace when you want to fire them anyway.

EDIT - also, bear in mind you'd realise pretty bloody quickly if someone's not up to snuff, and they have no unfair dismissal protection for the first TWELVE MONTHS.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:14 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Also, if you've got a halfway decent appaisal system you wouldn't get to the point of having to give someone 3 months grace when you want to fire them anyway.

Doesn't work if they've fluffed the interview, got the job, then you realise they're shit though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:16 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Doesn't work if they've fluffed the interview, got the job, then you realise they're shit though.

You can fire them whenever and however you want during the firt 12 months, as they have no unfair dismissal protection until then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:17 
baron of techno

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
You can fire them whenever and however you want during the firt 12 months, as they have no unfair dismissal protection until then.

I think this is about where we came in...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:20 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

They want to increase it to 24 months, is the point. As well as other changes to make it easier to fire longstanding emplyoees.

The suggestion, by the Tories, Lib Dems and Grim..., that it is hard to fire someone in this country is frankly laughable. We have amongst the worst (from an employee's point of view) employee protection laws in the EU.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

They want to increase it to 24 months, is the point. As well as other changes to make it easier to fire longstanding emplyoees.

The suggestion, by the Tories, Lib Dems and Grim..., that it is hard to fire someone in this country is frankly laughable.

And we're back to things that were never said. It's hard to fire someone for not being up to scratch. It's pretty easy to fire them for misconduct, or to get rid of them via redundancy. In fact, in most large companies redundancy certainly appears to be the de-facto way of getting rid of employees you don't want. It's costlier and takes longer, but your liability exposure is decidedly minimised. Not least because it's generally a lot less acrimonious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

The suggestion, by the Tories, Lib Dems and Grim..., that it is hard to fire someone in this country is frankly laughable.

And we're back to things that were never said. It's hard to fire someone for not being up to scratch.

NO IT ISN'T. You can get rid of them immediately during the first 12 months. How fecking easy does it need to be?

If you need more than 12 months to work out whether someone's going to be good at their job you've no business being an employer.

After that there's a really short process you are legally required to go through to get rid of someone for poor performance (letter, meeting, letter), and getting to that shouldn't be very hard to either head off or deal with properly if you've been monitoring performance in even a perfunctory fashion.

Quote:
It's pretty easy to fire them for misconduct, or to get rid of them via redundancy. In fact, in most large companies redundancy certainly appears to be the de-facto way of getting rid of employees you don't want. It's costlier and takes longer, but your liability exposure is decidedly minimised. Not least because it's generally a lot less acrimonious.

Ha! That's definitely not the case where I've been where there have been redundancies. It's also a lot more expensive to do.

Someone on a lawyers' forum was saying yesterday that at his company they'd performance managed out a load of salespeople rather than make them redundant, beccause it's really not hard to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
After that there's a really short process you are legally required to go through (letter, meeting, letter), and getting to that shouldn't be very hard to either head off or deal with properly if you've been monitoring performance in even a perfunctory fashion.

Oh, sure - I don't necessarily disagree with that. But you and Mali were saying that it's only reasonable to add retraining into the mix. And if you do that, it's not a short simple process - and that's a problem in a small workforce.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 13:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
After that there's a really short process you are legally required to go through (letter, meeting, letter), and getting to that shouldn't be very hard to either head off or deal with properly if you've been monitoring performance in even a perfunctory fashion.

Oh, sure - I don't necessarily disagree with that. But you and Mali were saying that it's only reasonable to add retraining into the mix. And if you do that, it's not a short simple process - and that's a problem in a small workforce.

Yeah, and that shouldn't be an issue with someone who's been with you a long time (i.e. more than 12 months)- they're not suddenly gonig to start being shit. So if you've got to the point where you want to fire them and you haven't already discussed their performance with them then you're a cretin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 14:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Yeah, and that shouldn't be an issue with someone who's been with you a long time (i.e. more than 12 months)- they're not suddenly gonig to start being shit. So if you've got to the point where you want to fire them and you haven't already discussed their performance with them then you're a cretin.

Unless you've only just become their boss. For example.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 15:30 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Where are their previous performance reviews and appraisals then?
Week 1 of becoming someone's boss you should meet to discuss expectations and measurable appraisable stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 15:37 
INFINITE POWAH

Mr Russell wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Week 1 of becoming someone's boss you should meet to discuss expectations and measurable appraisable stuff.

Indeed. And have had a chat with their previous boss about how they've got on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 15:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

"Yeah, he was shit, but I couldn't be arsed to do anything about it, good luck"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 16:18 
INFINITE POWAH

Trooper wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

In which case with that sort of shit man management I'd be looking at firing his previous boss, unless he'd already left the organisation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 16:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

In which case with that sort of shit man management I'd be looking at firing his previous boss, unless he'd already left the organisation.

Good plan!

It'll take 3 months though, once you have gone through the training...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 16:31 
INFINITE POWAH

Trooper wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Good plan!

It'll take 3 months though, once you have gone through the training...

Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 16:35 
INFINITE POWAH

New Chief Operating Officer doing the rounds. Comes to speak to our department. Says, rather loudly, to our head of department "so do you find it difficult to find good staff then?"

I suspect he didn't quite mean it like that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 17:07 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
What can happen if you effectively ignore that sort of notice? Presumably you'd get a bigger fine for not paying the initial fine?

In my case, the whole thing went away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 17:20 
INFINITE POWAH

Wow, really? That's not like The Man at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 17:20 
Hibernating Druid

The Welsh have it easy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 17:38 

Take your arguing elsewhere. We were talking about MY problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:01 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I sailed through a mobile speed trap in a 30 mph area at a hair over 40, back in '07 or so. I received an NIP a few weeks later. Ignored it, just to see what would happen; nothing further ever came of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:12 
baron of techno

Keep watching.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:18 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I sailed through a mobile speed trap in a 30 mph area at a hair over 40, back in '07 or so. I received an NIP a few weeks later. Ignored it, just to see what would happen; nothing further ever came of it.

Heh. Slowcoach.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:33 
Gogmagog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15870161

I think that's the saddest thing I've read all year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:36 

Horrible, just horrible for everyone involved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 18:36 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

After three months of careful forensic analysis of the photograph, they still couldn't see anyone behind the wheel and gave up due to lack of evidence.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 19:07 
Hibernating Druid

MaliA wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15870161

I think that's the saddest thing I've read all year.

Oh, that's dreadful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 19:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I lost my license when I did that :(

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2971 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 60  Next