All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 18:21 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Wullie wrote:
JBR wrote:
And Strathclyde - or is that one of those contentious 'it's England really' places!? I'm a bit of a tourist, have done more than half of them, but only made it to Edinburgh of the Scottish ones. And I doubt I'll make it to the Danish!
Nah, Glesga's in Strathclyde* & I think it's in Strathclyde Country Park anyway which is near enough Glesga. On the other hand Edinburgh is one of those places that's England really** ;)
*As am I, the Mull of Kintyre, part of the Southern Highlands & half the Inner Hebrides! No sure how they got the Hebrides in there, but there you go.
**North Lahndahn innit.

Strathclyde country park , or as it was recreated about 15 years ago "scotlands theme park" after M&D's did their stuff (http://www.scotlandsthemepark.com/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strathclyde_Country_Park )

Its sorta in Bellshill / Motherwell / Hamilton - and I remember going camping with the scouts there , and learning canoeing there as a kid (*)

(*) not a euphemism

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 
Excellent Member

Been building up my running for the last few months as part of a weight loss effort.

Can run for 20 minutes on a treadmill now, could harldy do 6 when I started.

Doesn't sound much and I could maybe do longer but I want to build it up slowly.

We have also started running round the block as well which is around 1.5 miles a couple of times a week.

Lost a stone in the last couple of months which is really just weight i put on since my wedding a couple of years ago.

Still pleased though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

Wullie wrote:
On the other hand Edinburgh is one of those places that's England really** ;)

S'true, I struggle to find people that are actually Edinburgh born and bread. It's full of filthy incomers like me :)

Jealous though Wullie, I'd love to be all the way out there.

In other news I really must stop looking at the RunnersWorld forums. The elitist pricks there are really dampening my spirit lately. Apparently charity running detracts from the Serious Business undertaken by Proper Runners, thereby making the London Marathon a magnet for 'attention seekers' and 'tiresome list tickers'. Charity runners on gold bond places are limiting the number of 'real' runners who want to compete without doing anything for a good cause. I mean, ffs.

These are probably the same people who, if you run past them outside, don't smile or acknowledge you in any way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 
Soopah red DS

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Wullie wrote:
On the other hand Edinburgh is one of those places that's England really** ;)

S'true, I struggle to find people that are actually Edinburgh born and bread. It's full of filthy incomers like me :)

Jealous though Wullie, I'd love to be all the way out there.

In other news I really must stop looking at the RunnersWorld forums. The elitist pricks there are really dampening my spirit lately. Apparently charity running detracts from the Serious Business undertaken by Proper Runners, thereby making the London Marathon a magnet for 'attention seekers' and 'tiresome list tickers'. Charity runners on gold bond places are limiting the number of 'real' runners who want to compete without doing anything for a good cause. I mean, ffs.

These are probably the same people who, if you run past them outside, don't smile or acknowledge you in any way.

They are rubbish forums. I used to hang around in the clubhouse bit, which is at least a bit more friendly, but the level of conversation is pretty poor. And that argument about the London Marathon (or VLM as they have to abbreviate it) is just bobbins. There are marathons most weekends, even just in the UK, so if you don't like London, go somewhere else! And if they're really any good they can get into the championship start and be ahead of everyone anyway - if you've achieved the good for age standard you're guaranteed a place, so there are plenty of places for those who 'are running it properly'. If they're not that good, then they're not that good and should shut up and just enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Indeed, indeed, and thank you JBR for being a great example of common sense :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:49 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

You always get people like that in every pursuit of life. And they eventually congregate together to stick their noses up at beginners or people perceivably less serious than they are. The trick is in identifying and avoiding those places.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:54 
Legendary Boogeyman

You are right Mr Belm. Pricks exist everywhere, and since you can't murder them all they're better avoided.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
You are right Mr Belm. Pricks exist everywhere, and since you can't murder them all they're better avoided.

You can murder a lot of them, though, and that certainly helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 16:10 

Bought new shoes, some Lunar Glide 2 (I chose them because reading around it seems like they are ones that most people seem to get on with, I'd have bought more Vomeros but lots of people are whinging about the newest version) and have run in them twice now, but both times felt like my lower legs were beginning to cramp up or something >:| . I'll try my old ones again to see if the shoes are the problem but is it pretty normal to have to 'adjust' to new shoes?

It does seem a bit of a shame that most companies change their shoes so much that if you find some you really like there's an excellent chance they won't be around when you want a new pair.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 16:29 

markg wrote:
Bought new shoes, some Lunar Glide 2

I have the Lunar Glide 1s, and can vouch for their loveliness. I'm not sure they're right for me, but they're certainly very nice trainers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 17:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

My Asics Gels have arrived. They're currently upon my feet in a feeble attempt to break them in before a 10k tomorrow. Hope they work :S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 16:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I should start this with - I have no skill at running , and wouldnt be entering anything like this but as I know there are a few people on here interested and the Parkrun stuff came up earlier in the thread.

Quote:
We are looking for volunteers to run in the Abingdon parkrun Pilot on Saturday 16 April at 9am, and give us feedback on the experience.
The pilot is a chance for the organisers to practice the administration of the race, as there are a lot of technical bits ‘n’ pieces to get right!
The first official run will be on Saturday 7 May, and you can help us get it right.
Please let me know if you would like to take part.

Some background to the Abingdon parkrun

The Abingdon Amblers running club is in the process of setting up a parkrun in Abingdon, which will be the first one in Oxfordshire.
As with all parkruns it starts at 9am every Saturday morning, is a 5k mixed terrain course, and is free to enter.
The Abingdon parkrun will start near the Rye Farm car park (the one south of the river and east of the A415).
The course will most likely be 2 slightly different laps around the north-east corner of Andersey Island, so a bit of tarmac, a bit of grassy path, a bit of hard farm track.
To take part you need to sign up on the parkrun website to get your own barcode, which can be used at any parkrun anywhere.

parkrun FAQ:
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/FAQ.aspx

The nearest currently operating parkrun is in Reading:
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/reading/Home.aspx

The Abingdon site is still being prepared, but you can get an early glimpse of it here
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/abingdon/Home.aspx

There is also a Facebook for the Abingdon parkrun
http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Abingdo ... 9261190099 (no login required)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 16:56 
Soopah red DS

Thanks, man. As a parkrun tourist I'd love to head along to this, and somehow hadn't heard of it - they're starting so many at the mo that I either missed it in the newsletter or they haven't mentioned it. Not sure I'll make it, but will be add that to my to-do list.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 17:19 

Just had a great run, tide was out so I ran along the beach, it was so peaceful. I can't for the life of me think why in all the times I've been running I never ran on the beach before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 17:23 
Unpossible!

Have you *never* seen Rocky 3???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 17:23 

markg wrote:
Just had a great run, tide was out so I ran along the beach, it was so peaceful. I can't for the life of me think why in all the times I've been running I never ran on the beach before.

Softer on the feet and a lovely change, but it's more work and much messier. No beaches around here, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 17:27 
Unpossible!

Great. Now I have the Rocky training montage music in my head. Not eye of the tiger, the other one

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 17:52 

DavPaz wrote:
Have you *never* seen Rocky 3???

I am Rocky 3.

Actually no, I'm not sure I have, but it was probably much like that only with a small, pasty-white chap with drinking straws for arms.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

In the last two weeks I've had sciatica, which has completely hobbled me at the worst time possible. Spent a week barely able to walk, and then it loosened off for a couple of days and I got two runs in. Now it's back.

I've been to the doctor for painkillers, the physio for excrutiating manipulation, and spent the rest of the time rolling around trying to stretch out various muscles to make this shit go away. It's not working.

Tonight I got into bed and started shaking with cold, so I got under a hot shower and shook with cold for 45 minutes before getting back in bed and turning my laptop on. I feel like absolute frigging death. And I can't walk.

The london marathon is 2 weeks on Sunday. Fuck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 

Ouch, man! Hope it clears up soon for you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 16:28 
Soopah red DS

That's bad, man. I had a pain along that nerve - not sure it was sciatica, but it definitely had me in pain and I stopped running for a while. That said, when I saw a physio I had some dry humping (a strap round my leg, round his back, and him doing a pelvic thrust, apparently to pull my leg back into alignment) and that sorted me out. By then, though, I'd stopped for at least a month. Physio it, is all I can suggest.

Croydon half for me tomorrow, following the Reading parkrun today. Only running once a week, still have several niggles with an ankle, ITB and knee, but I've kept the weight off with cycling and am actually going along quite well when I do it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:36 
INFINITE POWAH

So how did you get on, Gnomes?

After a 9 month haitus, I've been running again since January, 8k three times a week, and got down to 41/42 minutes. I was training for a 10k (with a load of hills in it) in later March. I got ill three weeks before the 10k, and had two weeks off running due to being manflu-d up. Had a week of running, at circa 45-46 for an 8k (aaaaargh), and then did the 10k in 55 minutes, coming 74th out of 131. Not too bad. I'm back to 42/43 minutes for an 8k now, and hoping to come in at 50 or so in the next 10k - I've got a very flat 10k next month, which should be a bit easier than the hilly one round here!Plus I'll have had a good month of uninterrupted training (touch wood)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 

Good going. I'm doing a 10k in June and am aiming for sub 50 minutes, the nearest I've got so far is 50:31. However I haven't been running all that much lately and as I think someone once said you can't put fitness in the bank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Good going. I'm doing a 10k in June and am aiming for sub 50 minutes, the nearest I've got so far is 50:31. However I haven't been running all that much lately and as I think someone once said you can't put fitness in the bank.

Ha - excellent saying.

I suppose the corollary is that donughts earn interest.

Good luck with the 10k in June - I would have been doing one then as well at Westonbirt Arboretum but the bloody thing filled up within a week!

Having done one organised race I've really caught the bug now. I can't believe I've been running for most of the last 8 or 9 years and haven't once done this before.

Post subject: Running
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
So how did you get on, Gnomes?

I was wondering about this, too. Come on, chap, let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 

Some detective work has lead me to here:

http://results-2011.virginlondonmaratho ... &ageclass=

Well done Gnomes!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:43 

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 22:10 
Ready for action

Great work, you have my respect!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 22:11 
INFINITE POWAH

What up, Gnomes! Five up high!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 0:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

Sorry, I was being very much to the lazy in updating here, although this is pretty much the only thread I post in :)

In a nutshell: Fuck me it was hot. I started out at perfect target pace, which I'd matched during my 20 mile training run, and kept going that way right up until about 14 or 15 miles when I felt the wall coming on. Smashed into the bastard thing at 16 miles, kept going in incredible pain for another 2, then had to walk for 2. Then ran for 2. Then walked for 2, then ran to the end. Dumped a load of water over my head to prevent heatstroke.

I've never been in such a prolonged amount of pain. Normally wall-hitting occurs at the end of my training runs and I might suffer 10 or 20 minutes of discomfort, but this was over two hours of bastard agony and by jove I was glad to finish. The run/walk bollocks knackered my overall pace, and so 5.30 is an hour over my desired time. Dissapointed :(

So, I will have to run it again, even though I'd planned not to. Final video thing is here.

Post subject: Running
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 0:27 

Well done, Pete. How was your sciatica?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 0:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

A very strict regime of diclofenac for a couple of weeks leading up to the race kept it under control. I've stopped taking them now and my leg has resumed a dull ache along the nerve, so hopefully a bit of proper rest will knock it on the head :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 17:08 

Nike+ GPS paintings. Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 15:20 
Legendary Boogeyman

Gratuitously spam-worthy video where I try to squeeze a few more quid out of random people.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 16:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Another 10k race on Monday night - down to 51:08 for this one. Still not great, but as I'd done no training for the two previous weeks I'm quite pleased with that - given that the one a month ago was at 55:25. Brother in law came in at 42:50 or so, the annoying 50 year old.

I suspect I may have run a bit faster if I hadn't ended up behind possibly the finest bottom I've ever seen on a woman.

I've got another 10k June which I'm hoping to get sub 50 for.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 17:06 
Soopah red DS

...but it will depend on the bottom in front, as they say. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 13:06 
Gogmagog

Ran to Shipley and back along the canal. It's about 6 miles. Started off at too higher pace, so after a mile and a half had to slow to brisk walk for a bit then off again. Got to Shipley, stretched for about 3 minutes and ran constantly all the way back, covering the three miles in 26 minutes. Total time was about an hour or so, but I wasn't timing it preciscely, just wanted to see if I could do it. Don't know how that stacks up to you serious people. Felt my groin stretching somewhat on mile four, but realising that it was the only way to get home stuck it out. Walking back from the canal (takes about 3 minutes to get home from there) I was breathing normally again, and now I feel fine.Having a decent pair of shoes has helped a lot, I've got some Addidas Duramo 2 which I got for £30. Will have an easy mile or so tomorrow morning, then another six on Saturday probably.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 13:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Good on you Mali - that's not bad at all if you haven't been going regularly.

I'm off out for a 5 miler today, which will be miserable as it's drizzling. Haven't been doing enough running the last couple of months, so not as tip top condition as usual. I'm supposed to be doing another 10k in December.... will have to get sub-50 minutes for that or I'll cry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 13:23 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Good on you Mali - that's not bad at all if you haven't been going regularly.

Thank you. I've not been for about a decade, no. The main problem I had with pacing was my respiration. I ended up having to slow right down to try and get my breath back. And my hands got sweaty. i was wearing a wooly hat, to keep my hair out of my face, but might just get an Alice band, like what I had at the cottage. What do you think?

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm off out for a 5 miler today, which will be miserable as it's drizzling. Haven't been doing enough running the last couple of months, so not as tip top condition as usual. I'm supposed to be doing another 10k in December.... will have to get sub-50 minutes for that or I'll cry.

I think I prefer running in slight drizzle. have fun with that.

See, proof! Dirty trainers and sweaty hair.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 13:37 
baron of techno

And no pants :spew:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 13:38 
Gogmagog

I has dirty white shorts as the canal path is puddly and I had to run through some mud to avoid dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 14:27 

Get a haircut, you fucking hippie.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:08 
INFINITE POWAH

Man, that was fun, although no drizzle annoyingly. I need to get a stop watch so I can time myself properly and get all moist over my split times. Much as I do with Zardoz's mum.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

I ran to work today, it's 2 bastard miles of uphill, a mile of gentle downhill, then a mile of uphill/down fun.

My split times make me tingle in my special place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:17 
Isn't that lovely?

I have always hated long distance running, prefering sprinting, but recently (ah the lovely Dr Alice) I have come to realise that we are designed for long distance running, so that's what I should do.

I am contemplating getting into this, my big worry is my left knee, which can throb after walking briskly nevermind running.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:36 
Awesome
Yes

Malc wrote:
I have always hated long distance running, prefering sprinting, but recently (ah the lovely Dr Alice) I have come to realise that we are designed for long distance running, so that's what I should do.

I am contemplating getting into this, my big worry is my left knee, which can throb after walking briskly nevermind running.

Malc

You should look after your knees. You'll need them when you're older.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:41 
INFINITE POWAH

I fecked my knee up when I was 19, in a snowboarding accident (fucking skiers). I landed on it very heavily, it swelled up for a week, and I lost all feeling in the skin on my knee.

I can run on it, but I need to wear a knee brace otherwise it starts swelling up and hurting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:44 

I'm off to the docs in the morning to get the results of an MRI scan on my knee. Running doesn't bother it at all, though. It's anything where it twists or bends right down that it doesn't work properly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 15:51 
Excellent Member

Running and lifting has helped my knee and ankles, everything feels much more stable than it had done for a long time.

I don't heel strike when I run either, I land mid foot, so my leading leg is never totally extended. It seems to put less pressure on the joint and is less fewer likely to to hyper-extend or twist. Hurts my calves like fuck for the first few hundred metres though, especially if I haven't run for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 16:34 
INFINITE POWAH

flis wrote:
I don't heel strike when I run either, I land mid foot, so my leading leg is never totally extended. It seems to put less pressure on the joint and is less fewer likely to to hyper-extend or twist. Hurts my calves like fuck for the first few hundred metres though, especially if I haven't run for a while.

You mean you run like an elf?

Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next