Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 423  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 13:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LewieP wrote:
Yeah, the gatekeeper was badass (no surprises there, twas played by Stringer Bell).

Did you not think the dialogue was funny? I loved how Thor spoke.

Also:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It's nice to have a super hero film where the hero actually tries to save the day with pacifism, only to have to resort to violence when there isn't any other option.

I REQUIRE A HORSE!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 14:08 
Excellent Member

LewieP wrote:
Yeah, the gatekeeper was badass (no surprises there, twas played by Stringer Bell).

Did you not think the dialogue was funny? I loved how Thor spoke.

Also:
It's nice to have a super hero film where the hero actually tries to save the day with pacifism, only to have to resort to violence when there isn't any other option.

I liked Thor. I found it pleasantly light of touch yet full of fun pseudo-myth. It was nice to have a baddy who wasn't yer standard, "Muah ha ha! Now to destroy/conquer the universe!" type. The only flaw is that a little more needed to be made of Thor's mates, I reckon. Just a few more choice lines of dialogue apiece making them more memorable. Once again I point to the effortless awesome that is the Flynn version of Robin Hood as to how this should be done.

And yes, Stringer Bell the Gatekeeper was awesome. Loved the design, too.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 14:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

His mates were properly crap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 14:11 
Goth

Mr Russell wrote:
LewieP wrote:
I thought Thor was great. 4/5 stars from me.

Quite funny, rather fast, some great action and different enough from the rest of the comic book hero films we've had over the last few years to stick out a bit.

I do like a fish out of water story.

Oh goodness. I don't normally comment on things like this because I massively respect everyone gets different enjoyment out of different things, but the only good thing about this film was when the gatekeeper allowed them access and just walked off saying something like "knock yourself out".

The rest was generic.

I'm definitely more in sympathy with Russ here. I didn't really like Thor. I thought it was twee and iritating.

Thor is much more interesting in the Avengers cartoon.

I'm also definitely with Grim... in that his scooby gang were absurd and ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 14:59 
Excellent Member

DerekFME wrote:

I'm definitely more in sympathy with Russ here. I didn't really like Thor. I thought it was twee and iritating.

Yup, and badly written with some irritatingly dull support characters.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 19:51 

Brick is really, really good. It's a gritty noir thriller about a classic gumshoe-type investigating his ex-girlfriend's disappearance, except all the cast are high schoolers (so instead of ratting people out to the police, they to the principal). Despite that, it's played straight. Sounds weird, really works. Has some great quotes too (e.g. "But I bet you, if you got every rat in town together and said "Show your hands" if any of them've actually seen The Pin, you'd get a crowd of full pockets." or Femme fatale: "Do you trust me now?" / gumshoe: "Less than when I didn't trust you before.")

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 23:01 
SavyGamer

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Brick is really, really good. It's a gritty noir thriller about a classic gumshoe-type investigating his ex-girlfriend's disappearance, except all the cast are high schoolers (so instead of ratting people out to the police, they to the principal). Despite that, it's played straight. Sounds weird, really works. Has some great quotes too (e.g. "But I bet you, if you got every rat in town together and said "Show your hands" if any of them've actually seen The Pin, you'd get a crowd of full pockets." or Femme fatale: "Do you trust me now?" / gumshoe: "Less than when I didn't trust you before.")

Yep, great film.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 23:03 
Sleepyhead

I kinda liked Brick, but thought it was massively style over substance. I enjoyed the situation, the direction, the acting and the whole feel of it, but just thought that the story itself was a bit lacking. I'd have given it 7 or 8 out of ten.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:12 
Ready for action

I bought Brick ages ago, and I mean like two years or something. Tried to watch it a couple of times but never finished it. Maybe i'll try again. One of my favourite films is Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind but it took me a good few tries to get into it and watch it 'til the end.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Conan is, as expected, incredibly formulaic but vaguely entertaining. It's overly obsessed with gore and dismemberment. Still, one star.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 

Hah!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:14 
Excellent Member

Heh, that's great!

:D

I liked Brick. It took me two viewings to get into it, mainly 'cos the dialogue was so dense I couldn't follow. When it clicked I found it an excellent little noir. Great performance from Lucas Haas as well. (I like the way he has to fit his crime-lord broodiness fun around his mum's kitchen activities.)

Also it's got Jason Gordon Levitt in, who's my fave young actor at the moment. Anyone seen 'Lookout'? It's a really good film and a breakthrough one for him.

Very Minor blurb spoilers:
He plays a popular lad who gets in a bad accident and suffers short term memory loss, serious self-esteem issues and an inability to cope with every day life. His life fallen apart he manages to eke out a living as a janitor at a bank, but his lonely existence only has a blind Jeff Daniels as his friend. Then some friendly cool types come along and start hanging out with him and he gets a girlfriend and no longer needs Jeff Daniels and everything is peaches and gravy. Until they want him to do something for them. Until they want him to be a lookout.

Great little film, and he's excellent in it. Really minimalist acting, but he leaves a memorable impression. Every little character is memorable too, which I love. The finale is gripping too. Bonus Bruce McGill!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yep, got this on DVD. Very good, indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:44 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:
Conan is, as expected, incredibly formulaic but vaguely entertaining. It's overly obsessed with gore and dismemberment. Still, one star.

Excellent, that's one for me.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 19:24 
Worst

myp it wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yep, got this on DVD. Very good, indeed.

I recently watched it after having it for ages. Liked it a lot. Want to see it again. It's the little lad's best performance. Vaguely reminded of Bugsy Malone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 23:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

Watched Fast Five. I thought it was supposed to be surprisingly good for a Fast and Furious film?
It was just as crap as all the others!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 0:03 
Best
Board Mother

Watched Final Destination 5 tonight, thought it was rather funny! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 0:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I finally watched Inception... Bloomin' great it was too!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:40 
Isn't that lovely?

TheVision wrote:
I finally watched Inception... Bloomin' great it was too!

:this:

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 
Isn't that lovely?

I've also watched Tron Legacy, which was okay, and No country for old men, which I really, really liked.

Although when the guy who found the money died, I thought that was a bit rushed, would have liked to see a bit more of that

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:12 
Excellent Member

Malc wrote:
I've also watched Tron Legacy, which was okay, and No country for old men, which I really, really liked.

Although when the guy who found the money died, I thought that was a bit rushed, would have liked to see a bit more of that

Malc

Me thoughts on the ending to No Country for Old Men:

I think it was one of the great elements of the film, Llewellyn's off-screen death. The off-hand revelation of his demise was more shocking to me than them showing it, because it fully revealed the impassive, implaccable nature of death in the film. It was unemotional, a dark force that was rolling across the land. It was never really Llewellyn's story per se, it's a film where the shock and horror comes from there being no heroes, no story, no lessons, no morale... there's just death. And Tommy Lee Jones's Sherriff reflects our fear of it. Anton, once an implaccable force of death, reveals and becomes aware of his own mortality at the end of the film as for the first time he breaks a rule. True, he kills her anyway, but he allowed a small edge of compassion and that was death to the man - or creature - he was, even if it wasn't in body.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 
Sleepyhead

NervousPete wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

I think it was one of the great elements of the film, Llewellyn's off-screen death. The off-hand revelation of his demise was more shocking to me than them showing it, because it fully revealed the impassive, implaccable nature of death in the film. It was unemotional, a dark force that was rolling across the land. It was never really Llewellyn's story per se, it's a film where the shock and horror comes from there being no heroes, no story, no lessons, no morale... there's just death. And Tommy Lee Jones's Sherriff reflects our fear of it. Anton, once an implaccable force of death, reveals and becomes aware of his own mortality at the end of the film as for the first time he breaks a rule. True, he kills her anyway, but he allowed a small edge of compassion and that was death to the man - or creature - he was, even if it wasn't in body.

Which all would have worked for me if there then wasn't a ten minute scene where Tommy Lee Jones just stands there repeating "It's No Country For Old Men. It's No Country For Old Men" over and over and over again, whilst wearing a t-shirt saying "No Country For Old Men" and bludgeoning his family with a mallet, across which is written "It is No Country For Old Men. Do You Get It? Do You See? Look, Let Me Repeat It Again For You!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:24 
Excellent Member

Anyway, Cormac's wrong. There is a county for old men. He clearly didn't watch Last of the Summer Wine, his Sherriff could have lived creakily ever after there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

Watched "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" yesterday afternoon. Not too bad at all! Could have done with a bit of judicious editing as there were points when it dragged a bit, but I assume that once you have spent x millions on a CGI monkey scene, it is a bit difficult to want to cut it really...

I did find it mildly amusing that the "good" guy of the film, is actually the guy who created the virus that wiped out the human race! But that's ok, because he loves his monkey :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:33 
Terrible Human Being

Went to see The Troll Hunter last night, found it very entertaining and quite amusing in places. Other half enjoyed it as well and she can't usually be bothered with subtitled films.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:52 
Hello Hello Hello

NervousPete wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

:this:

The first time I watched No Country For Old Men it genuinely annoyed me, because of the off-screen 'nothing'
death of Llewellyn
and the ending where
Tommy Lee Jones just waffles for ten minutes

It bothered me so much I went to bed feeling all cross and didn't sleep very well, but when I woke up in the morning it all clicked into place, I watched it again a couple of days later and truly appreciated the majesty of the film and the Coen's storytelling prowess - and as Pete says, you have to realise that the film isn't about Llewellyn, he isn't the main character and he isn't the hero.

It's also one of those rare films that stands up to watching again and again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 15:22 
Sleepyhead

Still disagree with that re: No Country...

I really enjoyed most the film, and am mostly fine with

the chappie dying off screen, though how he came to be there was wildly out of character for him. He spends so much time and effort trying to make his wife safe, and then basically cheats on her with the first woman he meets? Yeah, whatever.

But the bit where

Tommy Lee Jones just waffles on for ten minutes and screams "THIS IS NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN" again and again and again just has no redeeming quality for me. It's ridiculously heavy handed and just seems like the writer/director trying to get the point across for those who couldn't understand it from a) the title of the film, and b) what happened to all the characters

And don't even get me started on how stupid Woody Harrelson's character is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 16:47 
Time Out for Fun

To be fair it's what happens in the book as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 

Cor blimey, Never Let Me Go is bleak.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:32 
Unpossible!

As expected, POTC4 was a confusing, pointless mess of a film.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 
Goth

Bluecup wrote:
Cor blimey, Never Let Me Go is bleak.

I agree. Heartbreaking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
As expected, POTC4 was a confusing, pointless mess of a film.

It was? Have to admit that it wasn't nearly as good as the first three but I didn't find it confusing, and as it was moderately entertaining I didn't find it pointless either. :)

But each to his/her own! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:40 
Unpossible!

Confusing mainly because it failed to hold my attention. I've never known an adventure movie with so much blah blah blah. The writers need to take a big red own to some if the fucking wittering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
The writers need to take a big red own to some if the fucking wittering

Eh?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 
Unpossible!

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Eh?

'Pen'. Fucking auto correct

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:58 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Eh?

'Pen'. Fucking auto correct

Attachment:
text2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:16 
Unpossible!

:D nicely done

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 15:12 
SavyGamer

Mark Millar on twitter, just now:
"Can't believe I'm about to start the last issue of Kick-Ass 2. Movie news in the next couple of weeks, btw. KA 2 Issue 4 out Sept 21st!"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 21:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bitch Slap is a rubbish film.
Apart from the fucking brilliant bits.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 21:43 
Worst

Grim... wrote:

Well yeah, it did finish at one point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 22:45 
Bad Girl

Re: No Country for Old Men

I didn't think in the book he did cheat on her at the motel?

Also, the book is aces. And so is the same author's Blood Meridian and The Road.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 
Sleepyhead

I thought that 'The Road' was beautifully written, but was dull as fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 20:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

throughsilver wrote:
Grim... wrote:

/raises one eyebrow
/mentions the bit in the caravan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:23 
Worst

Grim... wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Grim... wrote:

/raises one eyebrow
/mentions the bit in the caravan

Okay. There was hotness, I'll not lie.

But all I could think for 99% of it was 'man, Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!' was way better'.

A friend tried to get me to watch a film called Rubber last night. 'It's about a killer tyre', he said. 'What, it attaches itself to cars and possesses them, a la The Eye?' 'No', he replied, 'it just rolls around, killing people'.

Made me think of this place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:25 
SavyGamer

Rubber is ace.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

throughsilver wrote:
Made me think of this place.

:DD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:44 
Excellent Member

Anyone seen 'The Ice Storm' by Ang Lee? Is it good? I've rented it from the library and am curious.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:46 
Ready for action

Bitch slap is brilliant. Especially the bit in the caravan :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 21:53 
Worst

NervousPete wrote:
Anyone seen 'The Ice Storm' by Ang Lee? Is it good? I've rented it from the library and am curious.

Very good indeed.* I even liked Elijah Wood and Tobey Maguire in it. That run of The Ice Storm, Ride With the Devil and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was Ang Lee killing it.

* Depends how much you like 70s set family psychodrama.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 22:26 
Paws for thought

NervousPete wrote:
Anyone seen 'The Ice Storm' by Ang Lee?

Yes.

Reply to topic  [ 21131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 423  Next