Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: London Riots
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Why should they..

Xfactor / benefits or play football... why should they actually work?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Do young people today actually, in reality, really think that they should get jobs, money and, I dunno, fame, without actually ever having to do anything? Because that's the impression I'm getting these days. /Daily Mail reader

You sound like Prince Charles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:34 
Awesome
Yes

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
-- Socrates

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
-- Plato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 
Hibernating Druid

MaliA wrote:
The kids look up to him.

Not physically.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Gogmagog

We should totally philosphize with him, dude.

Longines Symphonette wrote:
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
-- Socrates

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
-- Plato

wow, how deep...!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:37 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

It is the problem with a society which pays people to breed, and pays them more the more they breed, then just ignores them when they turn 14, leaving these 14 yr olds nothing to do but breed and perpetuate the cycle, each generation getting slightly dumber and disconnected to the previous. They see their neighbour getting a new TV and they decide they have to have one as well. If they don't get one, that is "poverty".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:37 
INFINITE POWAH

Or "o tempora, o mores!" for short.

Mmm, tempura.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 
Unpossible!

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Do young people today actually, in reality, really think that they should get jobs, money and, I dunno, fame, without actually ever having to do anything? Because that's the impression I'm getting these days. /Daily Mail reader

Yes.

Yes they do. I have to deal with these entitled little shits every day because we're a '3rd choice on the UCAS form' type of uni. These fuckers drift through education and end up with enough Cs at GCSE and enough Ds at A-level to scrape into uni and then spend 3 years REFUSING TO LEARN ANYTHING.

These bastards sit there, whining that the lecturers "don't teach us nuffink" and "expect us to go and learn ourselves" followed by " I don't pay my tution fees to sit in a library reading books!"

GNNNNNNNNNRRRRRGGGRGRGRGRGRGRGR! False entitlement is the hands down biggest problem that we face. The shits have been mollycoddled their whole life and been praised to the ceiling for the most minor of achievements. Finished infants school, little Wayne? Have a graduation ceremony! I mean, what the fuck?

Have things changed so much since I was at school? Was I different? My parents, neither of whom have any qualifications at all instilled within me and my brother and sister a desire to learn. When I failed to do well, I was bollocked by my teachers and had to suffer disappointment from my parents. Is that so hard?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Bobbyaro wrote:
It is the problem with a society which pays people to breed, and pays them more the more they breed, then just ignores them when they turn 14, leaving these 14 yr olds nothing to do but breed and perpetuate the cycle, each generation getting slightly dumber and disconnected to the previous.

There's an obvious solution there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:39 
Unpossible!

I need to stop drinking Red Bull...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:40 
INFINITE POWAH

More Red Bull, DP, good posts.

My mate is a chemistry lecturer at QMW, and his experience chimes with yours.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:41 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Or "o tempora, o mores!" for short.

Mmm, tempura.

I think that's breach of copyright, sir, and you shall be hearing from my representatives.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:41 
INFINITE POWAH

Heh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:44 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
asfish wrote:
COBRA (sounds quite James Bond Like)

Boringly, I'm given to understand it's short for Cabinet Office Board Room A.

Sucks to be the guys who have had their meeting rescheduled to use COBRB.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 

Bobbyaro wrote:
It is the problem with a society which pays people to breed, and pays them more the more they breed, then just ignores them when they turn 14, leaving these 14 yr olds nothing to do but breed and perpetuate the cycle, each generation getting slightly dumber and disconnected to the previous. They see their neighbour getting a new TV and they decide they have to have one as well. If they don't get one, that is "poverty".

Stick this guy in charge. And davPAz.

After the full extent of last night, and with my wife heading down to London on an early train this morning where she works in social housing, in Tottenham and that, my feeling is that people who would deliberately start a fire with people in a flat above are fair game to be shot dead by the army. In fact, I'd enjoy watching it. The rioters lack any perspective and if they can't see where they stand relative to people with the same disadvantages as them who choose not to trash the world, let them see where they stand relative to the will of the nation as a whole, who are in no mood to put up with this shit. Shoot them dead through the face, the fire starters. Let their friends see where they stand in that regard. Then, when the dust settles, give them an opportunity to make amends and move on from those amends into some semblance of a positive future. Otherwise, we might as well start shooting and never stop, because you can't put 16k pigs on the streets of London every night, the looters and arsonists know how this works now, and the adrenalin will have a stronger buzz than any skunk they can get hold of.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 
Legendary Boogeyman

Society didn't 'do' anything for me when I was growing up. I went to a primary school, a secondary school, and the local council didn't try to bust their balls finding things for me to do with youth clubs, or activities, or outreach programmes. I did my homework, played on my master system (that my parents made me save my pocket money for to buy), and the rest of the time I found things to do like riding my bike or walking up hills. Strangely I never felt 'disaffected' or 'misunderstood' by society, and wwas thusly not compeled to acts of violence - the notion that its somehow not their own fault is ludicrous fucking nonsense.

These kids aren't 'oppressed' at all. They're just lazy, feckless cuntbags whose parents have evidently failed to drag them up properly. Where does this sense of entitlement come from that 'society' need to help and nuture your every whim? It's your own fucking life, take some responsbility for it, you scum-ridden fucking arseholes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 
Unpossible!

Example, see if you can spot the difference in these fictionalised scenarios...

1. A lecturer logs a support job with the IT Helpdesk because they can't print from their office. They understand the system is somewhat stretched as it's deadline day so they arrange to print in another office until IT can arrive. When I do arrive, they apologise and say things like "Sorry, I think I pressed the wrong button. This always happens to me." I fix the issue and leave. They say thankyou.

2. A student trawls the Uni Website and gets my direct number. They call me and insist that I come straight away. They need it to be done right away as they can't print and their deadline is in 5 minutes. I, having no choice, attend ASAP. When I get there, they bitch about IT support being "shit" and that they are "customers" and "deserve better" and that the "computers are shit and slow" and "my mate lost her work after 4 hours*". I discover that they can't print because they have no credit and they complain that they've never needed credit before. I explain that it's possible that their free allowance from first year has run out and if they'd attended the mandatory IT briefing** they might know this. They swear at me and ask for change as they "only have a twenty". AND SO ON.

*Not saving in 4 hours, natch
** Attendance out of 12,000 students - 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:51 

https://twitter.com/#!/channel4news/sta ... 0675107841

Quote:
A 26-year-old man shot in a car during riots in Croydon last night has died in hospital, police say #c4news

First reported fatality? Given the fires last night it's a miracle no-one was burned to death.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 
Slightly Brackish

One of them was tl;dr?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:56 

No-one with anyone to miss them was burned to death, to our knowledge, so far.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:58 
Sitting balls-back folder

DavPaz wrote:
I fix the issue and leave. They say thankyou.
Well, your head is almost overwhelmingly large.

Why aren't you allowed to direct them to the IT Helpdesk website because "use of the correct channels enables better tracking, analysis and therefore fulfilment of your needs and just fuck off, you whiny little shit of a human"?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:09 
Gogmagog

Quote:
13.08 Surrey Quays shopping centre in Bermondsey has just been evacuated and closed its doors with warnings of more riots on their way, Heidi Blake reports.
13.05 I've just spoken to Paola Totaro, an Australian journalist, who is stuck in a hairdressers on Camberwell Church Street. She says that all the shops in the area have been told to close their shutters by police and that customers are being asked to stay inside for safety.
She said: "There's quite a police presence here and you can smell burning. A little earlier we heard people running through the streets but its very confused at the moment and not clear what's going."
12.52 We're hearing unconfirmed reports of disturbances breaking out in Camberwell. We'll try to substantiate as soon as possible.

Says the Telegraph, here

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:20 

DavPaz wrote:
These bastards sit there, whining that the lecturers "don't teach us nuffink" and "expect us to go and learn ourselves" followed by " I don't pay my tution fees to sit in a library reading books!"

GNNNNNNNNNRRRRRGGGRGRGRGRGRGRGR! False entitlement is the hands down biggest problem that we face.

DavPaz wrote:
2. A student trawls the Uni Website and gets my direct number. They call me and insist that I come straight away. They need it to be done right away as they can't print and their deadline is in 5 minutes. I, having no choice, attend ASAP. When I get there, they bitch about IT support being "shit" and that they are "customers"

Nah, it's not so much "entitlement" (after all, we hardly have the most generous welfare state, despite what the Daily Mail claim, no free higher education for example), but being brought up within the modern-day norm that they are "customers", consumers who need to demand the best level of "service". Consumerist culture. Paying that sort of money, out of their own future earnings, it goes into their heads that by paying for their degree courses, they are by default buying the degree certificates on a plate and it is up to the university to do all the running, sod actually learning and putting the effort in themselves.

I noticed all the above myself in a Russell Group university, and breaking stereotypes, it seems to be the kids from private schools who had more of the entitlement reflex than the state-educated ever did. (N.B. that was before fees tripled to three grand.) Meanwhile, my girlfriend's been studying at a British university for a while now, currently as a postgraduate student, and she has always said that the difference in attitude between British and non-British students was like night and day. She's come to plenty of conclusions; avoid doing group-work with British students if you want to get a good mark, for example. Or just avoid British people full stop, as she seems to do lately, myself excluded of course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:20 
Gogmagog

Quote:
13.18 Unconfirmed reports that things are kicking off again in Peckham. We are taking a look now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:21 
Excellent Member

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Society didn't 'do' anything for me when I was growing up. I went to a primary school, a secondary school, and the local council didn't try to bust their balls finding things for me to do with youth clubs, or activities, or outreach programmes. I did my homework, played on my master system (that my parents made me save my pocket money for to buy), and the rest of the time I found things to do like riding my bike or walking up hills. Strangely I never felt 'disaffected' or 'misunderstood' by society, and wwas thusly not compeled to acts of violence - the notion that its somehow not their own fault is ludicrous fucking nonsense.

These kids aren't 'oppressed' at all. They're just lazy, feckless cuntbags whose parents have evidently failed to drag them up properly. Where does this sense of entitlement come from that 'society' need to help and nuture your every whim? It's your own fucking life, take some responsbility for it, you scum-ridden fucking arseholes.

:this:

Schools and parents don’t help either. I was amazed the other day when watching one of Jamie Oliver’s “guilt TV Shows” This time he takes a bunch of lazy kids and tries to educate them at a school staffed by celebrity teachers

Some of them were speaking about when they were attending school, the schools would let them attend when they wanted once they started to have bad attendance records??!

All the kids where the same, loud, ignorant, aggressive little fuckers until somebody pushed back. Then it’s all “ I know my rights” and tears

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Our Lewisham-based staff have been sent home in response to 'specific intel'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:23 
Gogmagog

asfish wrote:
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:

:this:

Schools and parents don’t help either. I was amazed the other day when watching one of Jamie Oliver’s “guilt TV Shows” This time he takes a bunch of lazy kids and tries to educate them at a school staffed by celebrity teachers

Some of them were speaking about when they were attending school, the schools would let them attend when they wanted once they started to have bad attendance records??!

All the kids where the same, loud, ignorant, aggressive little fuckers until somebody pushed back. Then it’s all “ I know my rights” and tears

Jamie's Dream School hurt the teaching profession more than the film White Chicks hurt race relations.

EDIT: The only good thing about it was David Starkey making a fat kid cry, giving one of teh best riposte to a heckler in a classroom I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:25 
Hibernating Druid

I'm glad my kids are Northern.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:26 
Isn't that lovely?

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:26 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:

Not the Core 2 Duo?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:27 
Hibernating Druid

Malc wrote:

Malc

WOW!

Probably would have shot that portrait though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:27 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

WOW!

Probably would have shot that portrait though.

that's on the front page of the times today. Crazy, crazy times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:34 
baron of techno

Zardoz wrote:
Craster wrote:

Not the Core 2 Duo?!

:luv:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:37 
Gogmagog

13.28 Police are prepared to use plastic bullets if the violence continues tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:38 
MaliA wrote:
13.28 Police are prepared to use plastic bullets if the violence continues tonight.

Why not real ones?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:40 

nickachu wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Why not real ones?

The Police are not allowed to gun down folks... I take this as a flipant question?

I like the beanbag shotguns too.. :)
Should we deploy teargas too?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:40 
baron of techno

What sort of plastic?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:41 
Unpossible!

They need to re-establish fear, I reckon. Last night, the crowds just weren't scared of the Police and to be honest, has no reason to be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:42 
UltraMod

kalmar wrote:
What sort of plastic?

Polypropylene would be good. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:43 
KovacsC wrote:
nickachu wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Why not real ones?

The Police are not allowed to gun down folks... I take this as a flipant question?

I like the beanbag shotguns too.. :)
Should we deploy teargas too?

But people are allowed to set cities on fire? I seriously think if they start using lethal force then word will get around and the rioters will go home and play on their stolen ps3s. It'll just keep getting worse and worse if they don't do something drastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:44 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Craster wrote:

Any details? Ali has just called me as our Health visitor has cancelled visit due to all NHS staff in Lewisham immediately being sent home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:45 

It the UK lethal force is a last resort, also wasn't the use of lethal force what started all 'this' off (personally I agree shoot them!!).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:45 
baron of techno

nickachu wrote:
But people are allowed to set cities on fire?

I think you'll find that.. oh never mind :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:46 
From what I've read, somewhere else the guy who was killed was a drug dealer with a gun who would have shot the police anyway... or is that wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:48 

yes it is wrong, he did shoot police. One of the officers at the scene had a bullet lodged in his radio.

Sod tear gas, use Mustard gas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:49 
Unpossible!

nickachu wrote:
I seriously think if they start using lethal force then...

... even I would take to the streets. Fucking hell man, did you just advocate summary execution without trial!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:50 

No, he advocated fighting a war with the correct equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Craster wrote:

Any details? Ali has just called me as our Health visitor has cancelled visit due to all NHS staff in Lewisham immediately being sent home.

No. Shops are closing, but buses are still running. I don't think anything's started yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 13:51 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
They need to re-establish fear, I reckon. Last night, the crowds just weren't scared of the Police and to be honest, has no reason to be.

The fascist heel of state oppression in me says "Remove badge numbers, give them until 7pm to fuck off home, otherwise it is kettling time for you and party time for us." Then shoot one of them with a baton round to show you mean business and how it fucking hurts.

The real me says "This is going to get nasty, quickly."

Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next