Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: NotW Phone Hacking Redux
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:25 
Chinny chin chin

From Twitter:
Quote:
'Cameron saying Coulson should be judged on the good work done for him. A bit like praising Peter Sutcliffe for his lorry driving'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 
Hibernating Druid

MaliA wrote:
And...another film I now no longer have to see.

If you haven't already seen it 10 times I'll eat my car.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 

Coulson arrested:

Quote:
At 10.30am officers from the MPS' Operation Weeting together with officers from Op Elveden arrested a man on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977 and on suspicion of corruption allegations contrary to Section 1 of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906.

Max sentence of seven years, says Twitter. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Edw7/6/34

Edit -- if he's guilty of that, I think he has to be guilty of perjury too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 
INFINITE POWAH

Is it perjury when you lie to select committees? Or do you mean something to do with the Sheridan trial?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Gordon Brown: I'd still be PM if hacking claims had been aired earlier

AH- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 

Interesting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ne-hacking (note the date)

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Is it perjury when you lie to select committees? Or do you mean something to do with the Sheridan trial?
Hmm. Has he not said anything in an actual court saying that he knew of no further instances of hacking? Perhaps not, I guess.

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I dunno -- it certainly would have hurt Cameron badly if this happened at the height of election silly season, and it's not like the Tories took a resounding majority either. Not exactly likely, perhaps, but not totally far-fetched either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:42 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:

............................................ fuck me.
Words fail me.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:43 

Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I dunno -- it certainly would have hurt Cameron badly if this happened at the height of election silly season, and it's not like the Tories took a resounding majority either. Not exactly likely, perhaps, but not totally far-fetched either.

Cue Dr Evil voice:

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

/Dr Evil

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:49 
Excellent Member

The Leader of the Opposition engulfed in a scandal over hacking the relatives of murdered children, dead soldiers and terrorist victims just before an election? With his biggest media backers engulfed in the same scandal? I think that could have cost a few seats across the country - enough to make a decent Lib-Lab coalition at the very least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:54 

Peter St. John wrote:
I think that could have cost a few seats across the country - enough to make a decent Lib-Lab coalition at the very least.
Quite -- it'd only have taken 11 more seats to go to Labour instead of the Conservatives for a Lib-Lab coalition to have an outright majority. That's not a lot. And if the Tories had taken 37 seats less than they did then the Con-Lib coalition wouldn't have had a majority and would likely have been off the table.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:56 
Gogmagog

It would be, um, interesting, if, come Sunday, the NotW printed absolutely everything they have on everyone. Just because 'fuck you'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 

I really can't believe you're serious and can't be bothered with this one, sorry. I've better things to do; these are nothing more than the delusional rantings of a failed, embittered politician as far as I'm concerned - about as failed as failed gets.

Mr Kissyfur's sentiments pretty well cover it.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 
Excellent Member

Quote:
I really can't believe you're serious and can't be bothered with this one, sorry. I've better things to do; these are nothing more than the delusional rantings of a failed, embittered politician as far as I'm concerned - about as failed as failed gets.

But enough about Mr. Cameron's press conference this morning :p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:03 

Peter St. John wrote:
Quote:

But enough about Mr. Cameron's press conference this morning :p

Cameron hasn't failed anything, unfortunately, albeit thank fuck we've got even him, Conservative "media savvy"[sic] Blair, and as much as I loathe all of these things - instead of that joke Miliband. You can't seriously be telling me, with a straight face, that you actually want someone who has done nothing apart from a 'brief job in television', to be running this country, now of all times?

I hate Cameron, but at least he's got some nowse about him. I deride Miliband and detest Balls, the very architect of our current doom.

As for the likes of even Coulson at No.10, I'll take even him over Campbell any fucking day of the week.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:04 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
It would be, um, interesting, if, come Sunday, the NotW printed absolutely everything they have on everyone. Just because 'fuck you'.

I'd lead with "It was Kate that done it", page 2 would be summat about footballer's, page three tits, then for pages 4-89 all the stuff about people who'd sued, page 90 an advert for some conemieative plates and then slag off as many sportsmen as possible for the rest. And liberally garnish with tits.

Imagine the possibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:06 
Excellent Member

Captain Caveman wrote:
Cameron hasn't failed anything, unfortunately, albeit thank fuck we've got even him, Conservative "media savvy"[sic] Blair, and as much as I loathe all of these things - instead of that joke Miliband. You can't seriously be telling me, with a straight face, that you actually want someone who has done nothing apart from a 'brief job in television', to be running this country, now of all times?

I hate Cameron, but at least he's got some nowse about him. I deride Miliband and detest Balls, the very architect of our current doom.

As opposed to a man who's career highlights include ONDigital and a Chancellor who learnt his trade folding towels in Selfridges? (see, I can play that game too ;))

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:06 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I'd lead with "It was Kate that done it", page 2 would be summat about footballer's, page three tits, then for pages 4-89 all the stuff about people who'd sued, page 90 an advert for some conemieative plates and then slag off as many sportsmen as possible for the rest. And liberally garnish with tits.

The individuals could still be sued for libel, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:07 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:

Attachment:
Cyclists_salute.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:07 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I mean, you've paid for all this info, dearly. What's the point in keeping the powder dry, the information will be if no use post Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Peter St. John wrote:
I think that could have cost a few seats across the country - enough to make a decent Lib-Lab coalition at the very least.
Quite -- it'd only have taken 11 more seats to go to Labour instead of the Conservatives for a Lib-Lab coalition to have an outright majority. That's not a lot. And if the Tories had taken 37 seats less than they did then the Con-Lib coalition wouldn't have had a majority and would likely have been off the table.

There is a massive difference between labour winning the election and Brown still being PM...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:09 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

The individuals could still be sued for libel, of course.

Mere details, boy. Trifling. Admit it, it'd be awesomely irresponsible, stupid and that's why it's a great idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Captain Caveman wrote:

Mr Kissyfur's sentiments pretty well cover it.

That said, Doc and PSJ do have a point - it would of course had an effect on the electability of Cameron if this story had broken in April last year.

That also said, Brown does sound like a big sulky sore loser. And I laugh in his non-attending-Parliament face.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:11 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Peter St. John wrote:

There is a massive difference between labour winning the election and Brown still being PM...

If Brown had won outright? He'd be difficult to dislodge for a few years. In a coalition agreement, yes, he wouldn't be there now (as he outlined during his attempts to form the rainbow coalition last May)

EDIT: Oh yes, it is a sore loser point, definitely - but he does have a point, especially with the previous Government not being allowed to hold an inquiry because of the employment history of the Leader of the Opposition's press flack.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:13 

Peter St. John wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

As opposed to a man who's career highlights include ONDigital and a Chancellor who learnt his trade folding towels in Selfridges? (see, I can play that game too ;))

I've reached the conclusion that you and one or two others would vote for my dog to run this country, if I stuck a red rosette on his collar, such is your blind, abject, frankly unthinking partisanship in such things. On the other hand, I've said many times that I loathe Cameron and especially Osborne, but Miliband and Balls are quite self evidently far, far worse. Plus, it is entirely the fault of New Labour and Blair in particular, that No.10 Downing Street has been reduced to the fetid swamp that it now clearly is, not Cameron's! He's just the twat who's perpetuating what he believes to be a 'winning formula'.

We need to go back to real politics, real politicians and real debate in this country, as I have been saying all along (assuming 'we' are even still capable of such things as a nation, en masse at least - which brings us back to the ever declining standards of the popular media in this country, as compared to pre-Blair some 16 years ago now, the gutter press prime among them).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:14 

Trooper wrote:
I'm not fan of his.. well, anything, but if he'd won the election do you think the party would have booted him out less than a year later? I suspect not. I agree with PSJ; he'd have been entrenched for a while.

What's the least amount of time a sitting prime minister has lasted in power after winning an election?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:16 
Excellent Member

Who allowed Murdoch to own the Times? Or allowed him to kick the NUJ out of Wapping? Who courted NI during the 80s and early 90s? Who allowed him to sidestep the 1990 Broadcasting Act during the BSB/Sky merger and thus save him from bankruptcy? You can't lay the blame all at the foot of New Labour, Cavey, though they do share a lot of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:19 

Captain Caveman wrote:
I've reached the conclusion that you and one or two others would vote for my dog to run this country, if I stuck a red rosette on his collar, such is your blind, abject, frankly unthinking partisanship in such things.
I didn't vote in the last election and have never voted Labour in my life, as it happens. Also, you accusing people of blinkered political partisanship is a bit pot-and-kettle, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:20 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
I've reached the conclusion that you and one or two others would vote for my dog to run this country, if I stuck a red rosette on his collar, such is your blind, abject, frankly unthinking partisanship in such things.
I didn't vote in the last election and have never voted Labour in my life, as it happens. Also, you accusing people of blinkered political partisanship is a bit pot-and-kettle, isn't it?

Not at all, given what I've said many times about the likes of Cameron and Osborne. Plus, I voted LibDem at the last election, as I said at the time - that's how 'partisan' I am.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:25 
INFINITE POWAH

Captain Caveman wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Not at all, given what I've said many times about the likes of Cameron and Osborne. Plus, I voted LibDem at the last election, as I said at the time - that's how 'partisan' I am.

Yeah, I remember that (and you have indeed made many negative comments about modern Tory politicians), but then on the other hand you are a little, um, virulently anti-Labour. If you can have negative partisanship, I guess that's it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 13:31 

I passionately hate New Labour mate, because I genuinely believe that they have done such irrepairable damage to this country, its politics, its standing in the world and its prospects, entirely on the false prospectus (one of many) of being 'the working class party'. Bottom line? No-one, with the benefit of hindsight, could possibly argue that they weren't shit. They failed. At least that's how it is for me.

I'm working class, I know a thing or two about working on the shop floor with swarf between my toes, unlike many here and certainly amongst New Labour supporters - but I know a bullshitter when I see one. (You'll note that I am also the first to praise the real Labour politicians of old - Atlee, Foot, Smith et al - even though I passionately disbelieve in the efficacy of their politics, as evidenced empirically over the years, despite best possible intentions on their part).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:16 
It's all pish

Captain Caveman wrote:
...blind, abject, frankly unthinking partisanship in such things.

*points irony detector at screen*
*irony detector explodes*
Fuck! That's the fifth one this week!

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:25 

Malc74 wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Oh well, if you say so man. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:27 
It's all pish

Captain Caveman wrote:
Malc74 wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:

Oh well, if you say so man. :)

:luv: :kiss:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:27 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... ernational

Quote:
Police are investigating evidence that a News International executive may have deleted millions of emails from an internal archive, in an apparent attempt to obstruct Scotland Yard's inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal.

The archive is believed to have reached back to January 2005 revealing daily contact between News of the World editors, reporters and outsiders, including private investigators. The messages are potentially highly valuable both for the police and for the numerous public figures who are suing News International.

According to legal sources close to the police inquiry, a senior executive is believed to have deleted 'massive quantities' of the archive on two separate occasions, leaving only a small fraction to be disclosed. One of the alleged deletions is said to have been made at the end of January this year, just as Scotland Yard was launching Operation Weeting, its new inquiry into the affair.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I stand corrected. Apparently they were stupid enough to keep written records of this sort of stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:30 
Unpossible!

"What archive officer?"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:32 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
I stand corrected. Apparently they were stupid enough to keep written records of this sort of stuff.

As I've pointed out several times now, we already knew that because that's why Coulsen was arrested.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:32 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
"What archive officer?"

"WHICH Archive Officer"
"Sgt Bloom"
"Sir"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:33 
INFINITE POWAH

please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:36 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks please be Brooks
Imagine if it was Little Jimmy Murdoch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:36 
Chinny chin chin

I suggest we all put on these as face masks and go and stand out the gingers house.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:37 
It's all pish

Weren't the Guardian going on yesterday about a second person (a NI executive) being arrested?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:38 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Imagine if it was Little Jimmy Murdoch.

Ha, yes.
Still, I dislike her more, because she beat up Ross Kemp.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:38 

Surely, surely there's no way that NI can be allowed to buy the rest of BSkyB now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:39 
Chinny chin chin

Danny Baker on Twitter:
Quote:
Hear me, Sons of Adam & Daughters Of Eve! There will be no summer in Narnia so long as I rule this domain!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Surely, surely there's no way that NI can be allowed to buy the rest of BSkyB now.

As Jeremy Cu... ahem, Hunt has correctly pointed out, it's not relevant to the take over issue he has to consider. That said, OFCOM can declare NI not "fit and proper", but I'm not sure if they can do that prior to them taking over or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:46 

Yes, it was the 'fit and proper' clause I was pondering. There's also a question of motivation. Murdoch has very much thrown Cameron under the bus by scapegoating Coulson; will CallMeDave's frantic efforts to distance himself from NI extend to nixing the deal on any technicality that can be pressed into service?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yes, it was the 'fit and proper' clause I was pondering. There's also a question of motivation. Murdoch has very much thrown Cameron under the bus by scapegoating Coulson; will CallMeDave's frantic efforts to distance himself from NI extend to nixing the deal on any technicality that can be pressed into service?

But OFCOM is an independent regulator. Surely you're not suggesting that civil servants would make a huge decision like this for the benefit of a politician?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:50 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Yes, it was the 'fit and proper' clause I was pondering.

Remember what I said about the consequences for NI if they should fail any fit and proper test in this country. The consequences would reach far beyond the UK and into markets NI is very keen on such as China.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 14:51 
Excellent Member

Quote:
will CallMeDave's frantic efforts to distance himself from NI extend to nixing the deal on any technicality that can be pressed into service?

The thing is, if he doesn't find a way of stopping it, Labour will beat him over the head with it from here to 2015 (and they'll have to - seeing as how MilliVanilliEd has made it clear this week that he no longer expects any favourable treatment from NI in the forseeable future).

The other bit of possible intrigue is that if OFCOM does find NI improper, will they be able to own *any* of BSkyB?

Reply to topic  [ 1066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next