And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SMS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why does (the) SMS still exist?
It's hugely expensive in terms of pence per byte, it's too restrictive, and it's archaic.
Why isn't there a nice unified messenger type of thing like BBM or the new Apple one?

Post subject: Re: SMS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 

Because it works on all devices.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
It's hugely expensive in terms of pence per byte, it's too restrictive, and it's archaic.
Why isn't there a nice unified messenger type of thing like BBM or the new Apple one?

One thing I'm hoping for is a device from Microsoft that has no traditional telephony at all. Nokia device, Skype for voice, WP7 OS, and IM to replace SMS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:07 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
Nokia device...WP8 OS.

Feex.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

One thing I'm hoping for is a device from Microsoft that has no traditional telephony at all. Nokia device, Skype for voice, WP7 OS, and IM to replace SMS.

That's a great idea.
The only problem is getting SMS messages to old phones. Maybe they could try and handshake somehow and it could fall back to SMS if there was no response.

Although what if it was just out of signal. HMM.

On second thoughts - fuck SMS, let it die.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:10 
Because some people don't have fancy internet phones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:13 

If SMS was killable in this manner, smartphones with IM clients would already have killed it. They haven't because there's 4.6bn (yes, billion) handsets out there, all with SMS, but proportionally only a tiny number of them smartphones.

Related article I wrote: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/will-ime ... -revenues/

Don't miss the bit about what Americans pay for SMS:
Quote:
[AT&T] charge a scandalous 20 cents per SMS off-plan, or offers bundles of $10 for 1000 and $20 for unlimited.
These charges are for incoming as well as outgoing. A five-message conversation between two not-on-bundle customers is $2 in AT&T's pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:14 

Grim... wrote:
The only problem is getting SMS messages to old phones. Maybe they could try and handshake somehow and it could fall back to SMS if there was no response.
Which is precisely what iMessage does.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 

Craster wrote:
You're assuming the existence of a world where the carriers are willing to be reduced to the role of a dumb, interchangeable bit pipe. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Craster wrote:
You're assuming the existence of a world where the carriers are willing to be reduced to the role of a dumb, interchangeable bit pipe. Good luck with that.

VC startup?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:21 
Hibernating Druid

I like SMS.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:24 

If you just have a normal 'phone' it isn't connected to the thing that means you can.. what? I have no idea what these words I want are.

Right, try again: because a phone connects to the phone aeriel mast thing, yes? Don't you need a different kind of connection to receive the other kinds of messages?

Sorry, to get all technical on your ass, try and keep up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:24 
UltraMod

We ditched it for SCCM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Craster wrote:

VC startup?

I don't think there's one on my radar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:26 

Grim... wrote:
VC startup?
To do what? Build a new network? That's staggeringly expensive. $250k per cell site, with a maximum range of 25-30 miles (down to less than a mile in dense urban areas), multiplied by the area you want to cover, plus the cost of a nationwide fibre backbone with sufficient bandwidth to route all the traffic, plus peering agreements to wire your backbone into the Internet, plus ongoing maintenance costs (both staff -- maybe low tens of thousands to cover Britain -- and consumables) on it all, plus reasonable amounts of redundancy in the coverage and backbone, plus a lot more stuff I haven't thought of. VCs don't throw tens of billions at startups and that's the sort of money we're talking here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've thought this myself about them being a bit obsolete but like the Dr. Said, they make phone companies a lot of money and let's not forget... they are massively popular and still relatively young.

I would prefer to use email or IM but then I encounter a problem when trying to contact my parents.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Craster wrote:

I dunno, I see some real benefits for carriers. Think of the simplicity of a data-only network compared to one that carries data and GSM traffic. You'd still have to handle cell-switching, but that'd be about it. IP handles much of the rest of it. And you'd still be able to compete on the same things you do now - coverage, throughput, price, service - but for a solely data tariff.

I'll admit that the prospect of commoditisation wouldn't be attractive. Without a phone number that you have to MAC across it becomes a hell of a lot easier to just jump around different carriers. It would be an awesome way to solve the roaming problem though - going abroad? Just pick up a data SIM while you're out there, and you're done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:31 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
If you just have a normal 'phone' it isn't connected to the thing that means you can.. what? I have no idea what these words I want are.

Right, try again: because a phone connects to the phone aeriel mast thing, yes? Don't you need a different kind of connection to receive the other kinds of messages?

Sorry, to get all technical on your ass, try and keep up.

The difference is that it's an IP service rather than a phone protocol, but this is carried over either GPRS (in the case of a GSM signal) or 3G/UMTS - i.e, data packets over exactly the same signal that your voice calls use. Or your SMSs.

Obviously not all subscribers get the data bit, usually because their phone can't use it, but apart from that, yes. HTH.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 

Craster wrote:
I'll admit that the prospect of commoditisation wouldn't be attractive. Without a phone number that you have to MAC across it becomes a hell of a lot easier to just jump around different carriers.
Exactly this, except for "unattractive" read "deeply, incredibly, hugely terrifying". I suspect what you are describing will be where we end up, but market forces will have the drag the carriers there kicking and screaming first, and it won't happen quickly.

People look at how much an SMS costs us compared to how much it costs the carrier and get uppity about profiteering, but carriers have to make staggering upfront investments in radio licences and network infrastructure before they can make a penny. They do some pretty delicate mathematical dancing to try and ensure that the money made from a network will be bigger than what it cost to make in the first place, and if they were all making money hand over fist then Orange and T-mobile wouldn't be merging. Hence, the idea of voluntarily reducing their profit margins on cash cows like SMS and voice traffic is like the turkey voting for Christmas to come early.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I'm a bit concerned about this Apple SMS replacement. I have extremely poor 3G and Edge reception at my desk, but no problem sending or receiving SMS. If Apple pushes SMS through iMessage, I fear I'm going to have problems sending and receiving - I'd say about 80% of SMS at my desk are to/from iPhones.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quite. But the smart carriers out there must be already working out how they're doing to deal with the death of traditional telephony when it happens, as it clearly will.

There are a couple of regulatory problems though - the legal requirement to be able to phone the emergency services for one. Although interestingly that requirement doesn't exist on a 3G iPad, so I guess it depends how you define 'phone'.

Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Which is precisely what iMessage does.

Now read this. Maybe this will resolve my potential issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

In fact that's part of the GSM spec isn't it? So that wouldn't actually be that relevant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 
Participant in dramatic games

dutch kpn (buggest provider, offspring of old dutch state telecom ptt) is already losing lots of money to whatsapp, sms here in holland has bene down incredibly in the last 4 months... (we've got one of the highest smartphone densities there are, see hiw often dutch topics are trending on twittter, even though we're so small).. kpn and vodafone are looking in to charging for whatsapp msgs, so actually testing you data traffic for whatsapp msgs..leading to net-neutrality discussion (in parliament, where most don't even know what whatapp is).... blackberry data packages have always been more expensive here, not sure that's because of ping..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:48 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I like texting people. It's often preferable to tedious IM conversations. Hmph.

As for the cost, my sister had a phone until the early 2000s that gave free unlimited texts... because it was so old it came from before the networks realised they'd be popular and they could make money off them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:50 

Craster wrote:
There are a couple of regulatory problems though - the legal requirement to be able to phone the emergency services for one. Although interestingly that requirement doesn't exist on a 3G iPad, so I guess it depends how you define 'phone'.

Which apparently doesn't apply to the iPhone, as you can't make an emergency call unless you have a PIN set up on the handset.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sinister agent wrote:

What do you think the difference is?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
VC startup?
To do what? Build a new network? That's staggeringly expensive.

Can't we use someone else's? Like 99% of all broadband uses BTs copper?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:01 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

What do you think the difference is?

Message length with regular breaks, so you don't get people going "hi" and saying fuck all for an hour and getting stroppy if you don't reply. And not having to reply then and there even if you read the message right away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It appears the difference is "in your head", then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:03 

kalmar wrote:
HTH.

What? No.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:06 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
kalmar wrote:
HTH.

What? No.

HAND!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:22 

Grim... wrote:
No. BT only do that because the government make them, and the government only make them because most of the initial investment was made when BT were publicly owned.

In hindsight, that's probably the model OFCOM should have adopted for the initial build of a cell networking in Britain, but of course this all went down in the late 80s when privatisation was all the rage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:23 

GazChap wrote:
Which apparently doesn't apply to the iPhone, as you can't make an emergency call unless you have a PIN set up on the handset.
Do you mean "if"? And if you did: yes, I've never been able to fathom how Apple get away with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is there not an "Emergancy" button on the lock screen? That's how Android does it (although I don't know if all apps that provide alternative locks do that).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:31 

No. Having said that, it's also part of the GSM spec that a SIMless phone be able to place emergency calls, but that's never worked on any of the Nokia or S-E handsets I've tried it on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:33 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Do you mean "if"? And if you did: yes, I've never been able to fathom how Apple get away with that.

As I recall, an iPhone (and other smartphones) are not considered to be phones by OFCOM (or some other body). Blackberry falls under this too. This may explain it (Blackberry et al may have left the facility in as it is easy to do so, rather than because it is a requirement). I found this out when HMRC changed the tax treatment on them, as they were not considered phones by legal definitions and not allowable for certain reliefs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:34 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:

>It's hugely expensive in terms of pence per byte, it's too restrictive, and it's archaic.
For us or for them? Aren't they carried in the normal keep alive messages, or something? (sub please check) and so cost them virtually nothing, which is why you get 1 billion free on contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
VC startup?
To do what? Build a new network? That's staggeringly expensive.

I guess you could do a Virgin/Tesco, and just resell data-only SIMs from the carriers. That means you're acting as a reseller (+cost) without being able to take advantage of the savings inherent in dismantling the GSM portion of your network.

How do iPad 3G SIMs work? Are they traditional SIMs and the fact they have a phone number etc is totally ignored? Kindles, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:38 
Awesome
Yes

If you can have a phone number in an iPad 3G, why has someone not reverse engineered it into a phone already?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Russell wrote:
If you can have a phone number in an iPad 3G, why has someone not reverse engineered it into a phone already?

Just because it's a GSM SIM with a phone number doesn't mean it has an active telephony service on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:42 

Craster wrote:
Just because it's a GSM SIM with a phone number doesn't mean it has an active telephony service on it.
Even more so, I'm fairly sure they don't have phone numbers. It's data provision only. Don't forget that cell networks are all VOIP these days anyway, the telephony layer is just slathered over the underlying data layer at the edge of the network and in a core routing table of numbers-to-cell-locations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 13:52 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

No, I meant "unless" - are we talking about something different, maybe?

When you don't have a PIN (well, Passcode Lock by iPhone terminology) set up, there's no facility to make an emergency call from the lock-screen.

When you do have the Passcode Lock set up, there's an Emergency Call button on the passcode keypad.

//fake edit: Aaah, you're talking about when there's no SIM in the phone and you have the "slide for emergency" button on the bottom or something like that, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 14:09 

Oh I seeeeeee. Yes, OK, you're correct (I was wandering off topic talking about the SIMless thing).

Good detailed overview of iMessage: http://www.9to5mac.com/71121/imessage-w ... d-to-know/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 14:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Craster wrote:
Even more so, I'm fairly sure they don't have phone numbers. It's data provision only. Don't forget that cell networks are all VOIP these days anyway, the telephony layer is just slathered over the underlying data layer at the edge of the network and in a core routing table of numbers-to-cell-locations.

So in that case, the 3G iPad has the same carrier interaction that I'm talking about. Put skype on it, and it's effectively exactly what I'm talking about, but it just isn't sold as a 'phone'.

So not that far-fetched an idea?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 14:14 

Craster wrote:
So in that case, the 3G iPad has the same carrier interaction that I'm talking about. Put skype on it, and it's effectively exactly what I'm talking about, but it just isn't sold as a 'phone'.
Yes. This is also true of the plans used for Wifi hotspots. But the carriers are very careful about what they do and don't support. If you don't believe me, find one that'll sell you a similar £15-per-month data-only SIM to go in an iPhone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 14:39 
Comfortably Dumb

Zardoz wrote:
I like SMS.

I preferred the SMD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 14:42 
Excellently Membered

My Blackberry seems to connect over UMA... which is nice. Yet it doesn't support a Skype client :spew

EDIT.. of that doesn't aid in the slightest does it. Just pointing out that we are pretty much data orientated mobile wise... well getting there and the base station can't handle massive volumes of data anyway.

oh I and prefer DVDA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 15:17 

So... wireless syncing, then.

Does this mean that I could buy myself an iPod touch, slap iOS 5 on it, leave it permanently plugged into the car stereo, and have it automatically sync updates to my music library whenever it comes in range of my house?

Because that would be fucking ace.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 15:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I can do that with my phone. Or I could, if I could actually ever park outside my house.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 15:29 

GazChap wrote:
Does this mean that I could buy myself an iPod touch, slap iOS 5 on it, leave it permanently plugged into the car stereo, and have it automatically sync updates to my music library whenever it comes in range of my house?
Not sure. The iCloud backup bit only happens when you are plugged into the mains, to prevent battery drain, but I haven't seen anyone specifically discuss how wireless syncing works. It'd probably need a manual start, I'd imagine; I'm not sure I want a battery powered device to be firing up the wifi radio whenever it wants.

On the other hand, if you sign the iPod into iCloud, music purchases you buy through iTunes (and if you pay $25 for iTunes Match, ones you also rip/download) will automatically load onto the device when it comes within range anyway. You don't need your computer in the house to be switched on for that. This is probably more efficient, as it just pushes the song itself and doesn't piss about with iTunes metadata.

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next