Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Marching for charity
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 

Hello BeeX!

I thought you might be interested in a bit of charity fundraising I'm involved with.

On 14 March I will be taking part in a half-marathon at Silverstone with a troop of American Civil War re-enactors. Our aim is to march the complete route wearing full kit, including packs and muskets. We'll be accompanied by a period fife and drums too.

We're doing to this to raise money for the Army Benevolent Fund, who provide help to serving soldiers, former soldiers and their families in times of need. For more information about their excellent work go to the ABF's website.

You can read more about the team here, where there is also a handy link to donate through our Justgiving page . I'll happily answer any questions about the march either here or over PM.

As well as raising money for a fantastic cause it should also be a fun challenge for me, as whilst the distance is not too daunting, the idea of trying to achieve it whilst keeping step with others and wearing uncomfortable woollen clothing is. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Phil (Kern)

Post subject: Re: Marching for charity
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 13:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's a genius idea! Make sure there are pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 13:09 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Looks like fun! Are you going to reproduce the Authentic Civil War Experience by doing it with half of you barefoot, and having eaten nothing but some old horseflesh for the last 3 days?

Also, I'm guessing you're Federal troops by the flag, but are you any regiment in particular, or just a sort of "standard" group?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 13:29 

Squirt wrote:
Also, I'm guessing you're Federal troops by the flag, but are you any regiment in particular, or just a sort of "standard" group?

The team's mixed, about two-thirds Federal and one-third Rebel, and I think our muscians are coming from both sides. We're all members of various regiments of the Southern Skirmish Association ( http://www.soskan.co.uk ). I play a damn yankee.

Quote:
Are you going to reproduce the Authentic Civil War Experience by doing it with half of you barefoot, and having eaten nothing but some old horseflesh for the last 3 days?

I'm hoping the NCOs won't be shooting stragglers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 13:30 

Craster wrote:
That's a genius idea! Make sure there are pictures.

Thanks! Yep, I'll happily post some afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 13:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

In fact, to make it really authentic, conscript. Just round some people up from the crowd, stick them in a uniform, and make them march.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 13:32 
Excellent Member

All done. There MUST be pictures!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 19:58 
Gogmagog

Which circuit is it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 21:57 

MaliA wrote:
Which circuit is it?

I don't know, sorry. Of course, in the ranks my role is just to keep moving until ordered otherwise :)

We're having a practice march next weekend, so it should be a good chance to see how uncomfortable the musket is to hold for a long distance (not something I can really practice in Oxford!).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:49 

Thanks for the donations so far.

The practice march on Saturday went well. We must have covered around 7 miles and made good time. Four laps of a county showground isn't perhaps the most scenic hike I've ever done, but it's not an exercise in sight-seeing, and I usually don't go for walks in formation. Sadly we weren't allowed to carry the guns with us, so our pace was probably faster than we'll do on the day but good experience nonetheless. I mostly kept in step and in place, but need to work on not looking at my feet so much. The plated brogans held up, and my feet feel ok; I haven't seen any blisters!

The straps on my canteen and haversack will have to be readjusted to get them out of the way, and I need to switch from the straight Enfield bayonet scabbard to the slanted Springfield one as it is less likely to be obstructive as it slides along the belt.

But hey, under six weeks then it's over.

Also: camping in January is a silly idea. Brrr...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 16:21 

Two weeks before we set off! The team have already raised over £4,500 for the Army Benevolent Fund so we're seeing if we can get it past £5,000 between now and the finish line.

The training's going well. I spent this morning hiking to a nearby village and back in full kit (though sans musket & bayonet for obvious reasons). Although I got very sodden due to a sudden rain storm I'm pretty confident that I can make the course.

To donate, our Justgiving page is here or you find out more from the team's website

I don't appear to have a picture of me wearing everything (I hate the knapsack and now understand why the men would chuck them away at the first oppurtunity), but here's a pic of an elegantly-bored looking Private Kern awaiting the slaughter taken at the Detling multi-period in 2008.

Many thanks for the donations received so far.

Phil (Kern)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 17:17 
Excellent Member

I'm jealous son, hell I'd like to be right there with you. Pity this poor clapped out old man by the fireside, yearning a place right beside you in the smoke clouded hail storm of lead and shot and er...

*Cough*

This is an excellent notion, though. I'll be coughing up a bit of brass soon as I can, once payday comes around in a fortnight. Don't forget to have a big fight at the end, the number ratio seems about right!

And yes, pics please.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 16:17 

NervousPete wrote:
I'm jealous son, hell I'd like to be right there with you.

$300 to avoid the draft...

It's just over six months ago since I agreed to take part in this, and I'm a little surprised that it's come round so quickly. Of course, in just over a week it'll be a happy memory but the finish line is a distant 13.1 miles or so away yet.

I trekked 14.5 miles in full kit yesterday and am now feeling pretty confident. My legs started to hurt a little around the nine mile point, but then I saw the silly toll bridge across the Thames* which raised my spirits raised as I knew I only had three miles to go and the pain disappeared. I might be aware of a decline in morale around the midpoint, but the experience of being with others (not to mention thousands of proper half-marathon runners!) should stop this happening on the day itself. I didn't feel too bad when I got back home, though I did realise that wool isn't the most breathable of materials - my shirt felt pretty clammy when I took the jacket off. I'm just glad I'm doing this on an English spring day, and not during the heat of the Southern summer.

I need to work out how to pack the knapsack so the blanket fits rolled on top of the pack rather than hiding in the inside pockets, which should also rebalance the weight a bit better, but that shouldn't take too long to sort out. The only thing that I'm going to have to get used to on the day itself will be the musket. I reckon my arms should be able to support it, especially if we switch positions from time to time, but I've never gone that far carrying it before. Sadly, we're not allowed to take powder or bayonets onto the track with us, which will at least reduce the load a bit!

Thanks for the money received so far. Keep donating! Not long to-[BANG!]

* I resisted the urge to seize it in the name of General Sherman.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 

MaliA wrote:
Which circuit is it?

According to the blurb, the first three miles are the F1 circuit, then there's a loop taking in the club and international routes, followed by the service road, then back down the F1 route. It's going to be 'traffic free' apparently, which is good as mules and cavalry always block up the trails.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 19:38 

The team will be at the Stratford Armouries, Stratford-upon-Avon, on Saturday so if you're in the area come and say hi. And donate, natch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 

Just bumping this again. Many thanks for the donations received so far, keep them coming. We reckon we can raise up to £6,000 for the Army Benevolent Fund now.

I'm looking forward to it, but hoping it stays dry as I'm not really a fan of wet wool. I'm also hoping my feet are able to withstand the strain of the brogans hitting tarmac for 13 miles. They've held up so far. Either way, it's going to be a fun, if challenging, experience.

As it seems to be BeeX's creative writing day today, here's a link to a piece I wrote a couple of years ago after my first re-enacting event. I wrote it for my student scout group's magazine, and was rather proud when someone who runs a re-enacting trivia site asked to include it:
Boy Scouts with Muskets

And, finally:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:04 
Gogmagog

I liked both those articles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 19:02 
Gogmagog

Even I just dropped £20 into it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 15:47 

We did it! We crossed the finish (in line of battle, natch) 3 hours 37 minutes after we set off.

Silverstone is hillier than I thought it would be, and heading into the wind was especially tiring. My shoulders are still aching from the tight leather straps, and my left foot in particular hurts like hell. But what the heck, we did it, and we reckon we'll have raised £6000 for the Army Benevolent Fund. Both are achievements we're damn proud of.

I'll probably write more when I fully wake up. And there's still time to donate if you haven't got round to it yet.

Huzzah!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 15:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well done, man! Excellent work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 18:03 

Bumping this thread to say that there's a two page spread about us, including colour pictures, in the May 2010 issue of 'Gun Mart' (in case anyone here subscribes to it).

Also, the total we've raised is just under £6,800 (excluding Gift Aid). Huzzah, etc!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:28 

Well, it was four months ago since I did this, but I thought you guys might be interested in a report I wrote about the event:

Quote:
'If a man wants to know what it is to have every bone in his body ache with fatigue, every muscle sore and exhausted, and his whole body ready to sink to the ground, let him diet on a common soldier's fare till he has only the strength that imparts, and then let him shoulder his knapsack, haversack, gun and equipments, and make one of our forced marches, and I will warrant him to be satisfied that the duties of war are stern and severe, whether we march or face the enemy on the field of battle'

Private Wilbur Fisk, 2nd Vermont, June 1864

I thought that 13.1 miles would be easy. I've done hikes that were longer than that, and on far more difficult terrain than a smooth tarmac racetrack. What, I thought, would it matter that I wouldn't be wearing my trusted outdoor kit and comfortable hiking boots, but instead have on layers of heavy wool, Victorian style boots, and carrying just under 10lb's worth of 1853 pattern Enfield musket? It turned out to be one of the toughest challenges I've done.

We arrived at Silverstone in good time and after getting our packs and accoutrements (belts, cartridge and cap boxes, the canteen and the haversack) on we set off to the ‘paddock’ area where all the 10,000 or so runners and their supporters were to wait until the start of the half-marathon. One side was full of stalls advertising fitness stuff, group warm-up sessions, and suchlike, whilst the other contained healthier fare such as burger vans.

We spent around an hour hanging around near the ‘two hours or longer’ gate, occasionally posing for photographs from bemused passers-by. We seemed to attract some attention and we even received a mention on the track’s public address system with the people manning it playing ‘When Two Tribes Go to War’ in our honour (I tried not to visibly cringe). A woman asked me why we ‘had a civil war theme’. My unhelpful response was that we were a troop of American Civil War re-enactors.

Eventually the time came for us to wander over to the lane leading to Silverstone’s famous starting grids. We were to be right at the back, and after ten thousand or so runners had disappeared we proudly set off in formation. We kept step for the first mile or so, with the drums and fife playing loudly. We must have looked impressive. For most of the time we were in formation but not required to keep step (this is called 'route step') though occasionally we would reform and march a little way to get the group back together. We spent the entire half-marathon around 700 yards behind a man dressed as a giraffe: we never caught up with him.

We set off neatly in formation

Although the team had got together for a training event in late January, in the run-up to the event I undertook a couple of long hikes in full kit (without the musket and bayonet, for tedious reasons). I’m glad I did so as I realised that I had to adjust the straps on the accoutrements and it was good get a feel for how the brogans and uniform feels over a long distance. More importantly, I also tried different ways of packing the knapsack to ensure it was comfortable on my shoulders: the secret, I found, was to move the blanket to the large pocket closest to the back, as that provided extra padding.

For the record, I was carrying the issue blanket, my rubber poncho, spare shirts, drawers, socks (given to me by an officer at event in Kentucky, who decided that there was no wool in England and presented them to me during a full inspection), a deck of cards, a period handbook for the US volunteer, and a copy of Harper’s Weekly . I now appreciate why the men would ditch the packs at the first opportunity and take only what they could carry. I thought I had got my kit down to the essentials, but most of the stuff probably could have been chucked. I haven’t weighed it, but it felt like the usual size pack I would take on a normal hike, although it lacked the comfort of modern designs.

I had plenty of rations in my haversack, but they tended to drop to the bottom and it became a bit of a faff to reach them. I kept slugging from the canteen and was glad for the water and energy drinks thrust into our hands at various points on the route. The only thing that was bothering me throughout the trek, other than the unavoidable sensation of blisters, was that I didn't really know what to do with the musket. I tried slinging it or going to the various positions, even port arms, but never really settled down with one except when required to. It wasn't too heavy but just a bit awkward.

Around 10 miles in we had to be corralled back into line

The charity had provided us with a serving Army PT sergeant to accompany us along the way. We were all really impressed by his fitness: at some points during the march he was not only carrying a full bergen but one or two people’s muskets and kit. He would also tend to blisters and generally could be seen running up and down our line ensuring that everyone was well. When he got bored of us he would shift his attention to any runners who happened to be nearby. I don’t know what they made of him, but we certainly couldn’t have done it without his encouragement.

From time to time he would have us going at the double-quick or making short shuffle-like movements (called the Brecon shuffle) to get the leg muscles working again. As the miles went by, these short bursts became more and more painful to do but they seemed to do the trick. I think he appreciated our cursing him. He told us that he always tells his recruits that ‘love or hate’ him, they will always remember him. We certainly will.

Around the nine mile mark, when most of us were hurting and feeling miserable, the PT sergeant suggested we start singing, so I started yelling out the ‘Battle Cry of Freedom’ and everyone joined in, at least for the chorus. Encouraged, we also went through ‘Marching through Georgia’ , ‘Goober Peas’ (with everyone yelling the name of their unit in the third verse), and several other songs.

As the finish line approached we hastily formed a somewhat flaky line of battle and proudly crossed the finish 3 hours 37 minutes after we set off. Relieved that it was finally over, we put on our medals, posed for photographs, relaxed, and built ourselves up for a slow mile long trek back to the car park.

But we were able to form a rough line of battle to cross the line

Has this 13.1 mile march improved my understanding of the life of a Union infantryman? Frankly, no. A crisp English spring day is not the baking Southern summer, and we were marching on a full stomach, knowing that we would not be thrown into battle at the end of it. Moreover, we were on hard tarmac and not a small muddy trail. Having said that, however, I now appreciate why knapsacks were emptied out and then disposed of, and why men would drop out, take a break, and then dash to rejoin their company. I’d read about that in books, but now I realise why: a rest or a change of pace helps alleviate the pain on the legs. I just kept on going and felt awful at the end; other members of the team took short breaks and looked happier as a result.

It’s the toughest thing I’ve done for a few years. It was not, as I had imagined it would be, just a decent-length hike in different clothes to my usual hiking kit. We kept up a fair pace, we were, for the most part, roughly in line, the various straps for my packs and accoutrements chafed like hell, and most of us were wearing stiff brogans which weren’t really suited to tarmac. The soles of my new pair are looking pretty worn already. We were all physically exhausted afterwards, all our feet were steaming from blisters, and even with a decent meal and generous tab at the bar it was an effort to stay awake. But we succeeded in completing the half-marathon, and we’ve raised around £6,800 for the Army Benevolent Fund. All of us in the team are justly proud of what we’ve accomplished. Many thanks to the BeeXers who supported us!

The team.

---
Our plan next year is to go to a multi-period event and take part in every battle, fighting our way through history (with the clock running on San Dimas time!). More details next year.
http://www.amarchforcharity.net/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:03 
Gogmagog

Good stuff, well done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:58 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Great write-up, chap. Sounds like a pretty mad day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 22:33 

Thanks.
It's now a very happy memory! I think the last time my feet were that tender was after attempting the 'Tour de Trigs'* a few years previously. But, still damn pleased with it.

* A particuarly evil Oxfordshire navigation exercise. The course is 50 miles, and you have 24 hours to complete it, but it takes place in early December so there's not much daylight. You get given the route as a series of grid references 30 minutes before you set off. We dropped out at the 30 mile checkpoint, but probably did around 33-35 miles when navigation errors are factored in.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]