Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 13:04 
Soopah red DS

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
JBR wrote:
The Rookie is back! I love The Rookie!

The Rookie has a spin-off! Um, save your time. I did not. Do not let my sacrifice be in vain.

The back door pilot where they introduced her was abysmal. She was just so badly written and over-acted that it was a huge missed opportunity. I downloaded S01E01, looked at the score on IMDB and hit delete.

You were braver than me. She worked pretty well as a one-off, but it's an odd character to try and carry a show with. A few reviews praised the cameos from Rookie characters, but even those seemed forced - hey look, here's characteryoualreadylike, and they're talking to the newbie and taking her seriously! Yikes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 13:38 
Unpossible!

I think I'll skip it. Already too many shows to be watched at the moment

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:59 
Gogmagog

House of the dragon: everyone looks the same, has the same sounding names, and there's a lot of filler in it where, for example, one shot could many minutes shorter, but does give me time to try to work out what is going on. Which err, isn't much.

Holywell Bay looks lovely, though, and remains my favourite beach.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:50 
Unpossible!

I'm really not bothered about watching House of The Dragon. I figured I'd leave it until after Rings of Power, but I still can't be arsed with it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:55 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
I'm really not bothered about watching House of The Dragon. I figured I'd leave it until after Rings of Power, but I still can't be arsed with it

I can't be bothered with Rings of Power as I saw the episode 6 recap header in the Graun which was "Finally something happens!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 
Soopah red DS

DavPaz wrote:

I went through 6 episodes, getting more bored but also annoyed. I knew the time-jump was happening, and it was still annoying. Then I reminded myself I didn't have to watch it, and now I'm happier. I've read the Guardian's synopsis and that's enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:06 
Bad Girl

I’m loving House of the Dragon. Great acting, complex characters, gorgeous sets, makeup and costumes, CG is excellent and the development between the characters is fascinating (albeit it now feels like a setup for seasons to come).

Rings of Power however. Fuck me. One dimensional characters, one dimensional baddies, some awful acting/actors, stiff dialogue, glacial pacing, no drama, no excitement, little in the way of story so far. 6 (or is it 7) hours of TV and it’s had a thirty minute battle that wasn’t very good. The monumental budget has absolutely been fucking squandered somewhere and it certainly hasn’t been on the things that actually matters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:41 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
I’m loving House of the Dragon. Great acting, complex characters, gorgeous sets, makeup and costumes, CG is excellent and the development between the characters is fascinating (albeit it now feels like a setup for seasons to come).

Rings of Power however. Fuck me. One dimensional characters, one dimensional baddies, some awful acting/actors, stiff dialogue, glacial pacing, no drama, no excitement, little in the way of story so far. 6 (or is it 7) hours of TV and it’s had a thirty minute battle that wasn’t very good. The monumental budget has absolutely been fucking squandered somewhere and it certainly hasn’t been on the things that actually matters.

I too am enjoying HotD. It's infinitely less bewildering than GoT was (as someone who had never read it). Acting is generally very good (aside from Nu Rhaenyr and Laenor) who are both a bit crap and camp (and the latter features in the new series of Ghosts, I noticed). It has characters doing generally interesting things that aren't also very stupid things. Also feels less needlessly salacious than GoT was, which is A Good Thing In My Opinion.

RoP I haven't watched.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 13:13 

Findus Fop wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

I too am enjoying HotD. It's infinitely less bewildering than GoT was (as someone who had never read it). Acting is generally very good (aside from Nu Rhaenyr and Laenor) who are both a bit crap and camp (and the latter features in the new series of Ghosts, I noticed). It has characters doing generally interesting things that aren't also very stupid things. Also feels less needlessly salacious than GoT was, which is A Good Thing In My Opinion.

I don't know maybe it was because of the salaciousness and I'm a bad person but I remember GoT at its height being actually exciting. An episode would finish and I would feel a bit sad to have a to wait a week for the next one. Not really finding that at all with this more kitchen sink glimpse into the lives of ordinary dragon riders.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 13:25 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
....more kitchen sink glimpse into the lives of ordinary dragon riders.

Waiting For A Coronation Street

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 15:19 
Hibernating Druid

It’s dropped right off the Craster scale, and that’s what hurts.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 21:57 
Gogmagog

The Midnight Club: terrifying, and great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 20:37 
Bad Girl

Rings of Power finale was terrible. Honestly, I’m surprised how much they utterly fucked it up the series, especially after I was really enjoying the first two episodes. Thing is, it didn’t do anything after those two episodes. Just fuck all happened for over six hours. I didn’t care about any of the characters or what they were doing. Worst still, I would probably have joined Frodo on his suicide mission within the first hour of the first LotR. It did so much within a fraction of the time this series dragged on for. And when we get to the reveal “I’m Sauron” I could barely muster any emotion or give two fucks. Best I could do was stifle a laugh at how stupid it was.

$1,000,000,000 utterly pissed down the drain. I just can’t even comprehend what it’s like to do that with so many problems in the world, and not even come out with an amazing set of 8 episodes each better than the last. Wow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 20:42 
Unpossible!

Nah. It was ace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 21:15 
Isn't that lovely?

I quite liked it, I didn't realise that was the series finale though. That's disappointing.

Yes it's slow, but it's quite interesting seeing how some of the beloved characters were acting when the rings of power were created.

Its very pretty, a little slow, but quite good. 7/10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 20:58 
Bad Girl

Just remembered that but where nu-Gandalf says “I. AM… GOOOD”.

Quality TV.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:11 
Unpossible!

Satsuma wrote:
Just remembered that but where nu-Gandalf says “I. AM… GOOOD”.

Quality TV.

It was "I AM GROOOOOT!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:18 
Gogmagog

Midnight Club:. Great, until the final episode which, by and large, was rubbish, except for the bits where
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
stories they told each other were finished

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:15 
Can you dig it?

Blockbuster, from someone associated with Brooklyn nine-nine but without any of the zing or the zazz or the zhoush....

Just so totally mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:19 
Can you dig it?

The Terminal List has Chris Pratt as a slightly unconvincing tough Navy SEAL, with some trauma and a big old bonk on the old noggin having scrambled his mind a bit.

Could be interesting to see if it's all in his head (of course it won't be though, it will be some shady underworld illuminati shit that he will get to the bottom of and be totally vindicated only to realise how much further up to the top it goes and FIND OUT MORE IN SEASON 2)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:21 
Gogmagog

Sir Taxalot wrote:
The Terminal List has Chris Pratt as a slightly unconvincing tough Navy SEAL, with some trauma and a big old bonk on the old noggin having scrambled his mind a bit.

Could be interesting to see if it's all in his head (of course it won't be though, it will be some shady underworld illuminati shit that he will get to the bottom of and be totally vindicated only to realise how much further up to the top it goes and FIND OUT MORE IN SEASON 2)

I really enjoyed it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 17:17 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Blockbuster, from someone associated with Brooklyn nine-nine but without any of the zing or the zazz or the zhoush....

Just so totally mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

I lasted five minutes. Yeesh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 17:17 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:

I watched all of this, though liked it less and less from half way. It was ...fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 21:07 

Caught up with the rest of the world and watched Wednesday.

It was ok.

Wednesday’s performance is all one note. It just gets a bit stale by episode 4, and though you might say there are subtle nuances that come through they are too subtle to be redeeming.

Enid is clearly the main character. She’s great. Enid spin off show, please.

I’m not convinced by Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia, which is such a shame as I adore her and was 100% ready for it to be brilliant. It’s terrible to say, but HD TV gets in the way of what would have been Hollywood glamour as the make up is so thick and Cakey.

I’m pretty sure anyone my age must be thinking ‘Fairuza Balk would have absolutely NAILED Wednesday’s role in the 90s’.

I didn’t hate it as much as I hate a lot of recent-ish Tim Burton stuff, but that’s because neither Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter were in it. Not that I dislike Helena B C, but Tim Burton makes her boring.

Other than that it’s silly TV that passes the time with a bit of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:39 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mimi wrote:
Caught up with the rest of the world and watched Wednesday.

It was ok.

Wednesday’s performance is all one note. It just gets a bit stale by episode 4, and though you might say there are subtle nuances that come through they are too subtle to be redeeming.

Enid is clearly the main character. She’s great. Enid spin off show, please.

I’m not convinced by Catherine Zeta Jones as Morticia, which is such a shame as I adore her and was 100% ready for it to be brilliant. It’s terrible to say, but HD TV gets in the way of what would have been Hollywood glamour as the make up is so thick and Cakey.

I’m pretty sure anyone my age must be thinking ‘Fairuza Balk would have absolutely NAILED Wednesday’s role in the 90s’.

I didn’t hate it as much as I hate a lot of recent-ish Tim Burton stuff, but that’s because neither Johnny Depp or Helena Bonham Carter were in it. Not that I dislike Helena B C, but Tim Burton makes her boring.

Other than that it’s silly TV that passes the time with a bit of fun.

I agree with you that it was ok. I thought the lead was done really well and having the orginal Wednesday as one of the teachers was a great touch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:44 
Unpossible!

Sorry to be a pedant (not really) but Christina Ricci is not the original Wednesday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:48 

Meh :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 18:32 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Watched Ep 1 of Wednesday. Left it at that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I loved it. My only real complaint was that they managed to make Luiz Guzman really greasy and unpleasant, where as I always associate Gomez as being classy and dashing, as Raul Julia portrayed him

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:09 
Awesome
Yes

Cras wrote:
I loved it. My only real complaint was that they managed to make Luiz Guzman really greasy and unpleasant, where as I always associate Gomez as being classy and dashing, as Raul Julia portrayed him

I too thought this but apparently after reading about it the comic book Gomez is a bit more portly and greasy so it's a call to that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ah fair enough

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:26 

Cras wrote:
classy and dashing, as Raul Julia portrayed him
. I always thought the original TV Gomez (John Astin*) was quite dashing as a character, too, so I’m my head he’s a dashing character. I’ve not seen the 90s movie, but I agree that this is how I imagine him.

*Father** of Sean Astin!

** Adoped, so no physical resemblance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 20:30 

I had a Google (mostly to fact check myself as I started to wonder if I made part of that up, but I hadn’t) and it turns out Tim Curry had a go at some point, too.

Anyway, was just an excuse for a Tim Curry picture.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 22:09 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Looks interesting :

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 
Can you dig it?

Mimi wrote:
HD TV gets in the way of what would have been Hollywood glamour as the make up is so thick and Cakey.

Could make a fun cross over with the 'Is it Cake?' gameshow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:31 

Mimi wrote:
It’s terrible to say, but HD TV gets in the way of what would have been Hollywood glamour as the make up is so thick and Cakey.

It's also made so many older movies so much more amusing when you can clearly see that the stunts are being performed by the (often not very good) stunt doubles!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:07 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Sky have released episode 1 of "The Last of us" free to watch on Youtube

Link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzGMFpLIcyE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 16:46 
Unpossible!

Well, that was bloody nice of them!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:33 
Gogmagog

Extraordinary (Disney+) is a decent sitcom about a lady that doesn't have superpowers in a world where everyone else does. It's 8 episodes and a good way to spend some time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:29 
Soopah red DS

New SNL trailer.

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/16221 ... Lv5qnbgEAA

Or Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIRlg4Xr5w

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 21:47 
Decapodian

MaliA wrote:
Extraordinary (Disney+) is a decent sitcom about a lady that doesn't have superpowers in a world where everyone else does. It's 8 episodes and a good way to spend some time.

Thanks. This is really funny.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 15:43 

Finally finished Better Call Saul. I really enjoyed the last season.

He really can't just go straight can he :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:30 
Can you dig it?

Upload (Amazon Prime) is quite entertaining, and while it prefers to stay quite 'light' there are some interesting questions buried much deeper down but left for the viewer to ponder, and there's a fair bit of satirical edge under the surface too - but it's very much not heavy-handed.

It's funny and I've had a few decent laughs, but it's not an all out side-splitting comedy. The lead man character is quite charming but almost unrelatably handsome.

Overall good, well worth giving a chance. I'm keen to continue to the end.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:33 

I am loving the new Star Trek (Strange new worlds), only 3 episodes in. The new (old) crew seems great..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:19 
Prince of Fops

I was feeling quite sorry for myself this weekend so watched some new TV in bed.

Vox Machina: Adult fantasy-adventure cartoon on Amazon Prime. Gave up part way through the first episode. Love the art style and fully up for a more adult fantasy-adventure cartoon. BUT like so many, this mistakes unnecessary and poorly "creative" swearing for comedy. I love creative swearing done well. This is creative swearing done by a 13-year-old. Binned.

Invincible: Adult superhero cartoon on Amazon Prime. This is more like it. Intriguing story, strong dialogue and comedic moments. Properly gory, which I'm fine with but could live without at times. Final five minutes of first episode takes the show in a direction you weren't expecting. Up till that point, it's all quite tame. Great cast too, with Sandra Oh, Walton Goggins, JK Simmons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 14:04 
Decapodian

Vox Machina is based on the Critical Role show on YouTube, and what works well with a bunch of friends playing D&D doesn't always translate well to the screen.
They tone down the swearing and smut after the first couple and it becomes much more approachable for a newcomer, but if it didn't appeal at all then there's plenty of other shows to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 14:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

One series of the Legend of Vox Machina is 6 hours of TV cut down from around 100 hours of play. It's a daunting task as while what they've done is impressive, I just think turning it into an animated series is a close to impossible task

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 15:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras wrote:
One series of the Legend of Vox Machina is 6 hours of TV cut down from around 100 hours of play. It's a daunting task as while what they've done is impressive, I just think turning it into an animated series is a close to impossible task

I watched it without any context and thought it was ok.
I've rewatched it now that i've done 20 episodes of The Mighty Nein on youtube/podcast, and even though it's different characters, the VM series interactions and disjointed story make a lot more sense second time around with more experience of how they interact as the people behind the characters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 17:59 
Prince of Fops

Oh interesting, I had zero idea of its provenance. What a good idea for a show (even if its execution wasn't to my liking).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 19:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It helps that the bunch of friends playing D&D all happened to already be pro voice actors

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next