Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Xbox Series X
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 
UltraMod

That’s true. You should spend £150 on a controller because the standard one isn’t good enough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:57 
Bad Girl

The new D-pad is loud as fuck. If you were wearing headphones and playing a game using the pad and someone was reading a book next to you on the sofa you’d drive them fucking insane.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:59 
Unpossible!

Here's a fancy dpad. Not £150.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/power ... verviewtab

Pro. Elite. Series X. Green. Halo is best game evar. Xbox is best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 13:07 
Unpossible!

Are we done? I think we can all agree that xbox wins. Fanboys are best boys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 13:09 
Unpossible!

But seriously, all joking aside, that PS5 controller is a thing of (technical) beauty. The looks? Meh. It's all a bit Portal 2, Eve from Wall-E, top floor of Currys white goods for me, but the tech inside it?

Nice. Do want.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 13:20 
Unpossible!

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ps5-c ... r-gamepads

Hmmm... Steam support for PS5 controller...

Maybe this shouldn't be in the xbox thread as noone will read it :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 13:21 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ps5-controller-gets-improved-support-in-steam-as-pc-gamers-ditch-keyboards-for-gamepads

Hmmm... Steam support for PS5 controller...

Maybe this shouldn't be in the xbox thread as noone will read it :D

Oh good, I’ll definitely be getting one once it’s out of beta.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 13:47 
Ready for action

I will probably get back paddles for the controller so I need to find out if there is an attachment accessory or if I have to splurge on something like a Scuf.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 15:12 
Hello Hello Hello

Worst XBox thread ever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 22:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

NHL '94 Rewind is out on the Xbox and on Gamepass.

It's NHL '94 but with an updated roster. That doesn't matter though as it's still bloomin' brilliant!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 0:07 
Gogmagog

Can you make Gretzy bleed in this version?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 0:20 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:
NHL '94 Rewind is out on the Xbox and on Gamepass.

Damn, it's not on regular Gamepass, but only Ultimate. Or it comes in the NHL 21 bundle at a whopping £64.99.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:38 
Ready for action

Dispatch notification received so it looks like I am getting this before Christmas! I definitely need to start researching back paddle attachment or alternative controllers :S

This is very good timing through because I don't think I've got space on my PS4 for the Warzone update that's out today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 16:28 
Ready for action

Any games come highly recommended for me to try on my new Xbox? Only just set it up today and switched it on for the first time. I was considering playing some Warzone but I’ve heard so many complaints about the current meta that I might give it a wee while.

I’ve downloaded GTA V and Gears 5. Really tempted to replay all the Fables, do they hold up? Also sorely tempted by Skyrim but I really don’t have the time for that!

Any of them you’d prioritise if it was you, or others I should be considering. I’m resisting Mass Effect for the time being while I wait for the remastered version.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 17:20 
Unpossible!

The first Fable is a bit clunky unless they've updated the control scheme, but 2 and 3 still play well, in a basic My First RPG way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 18:06 
Ready for action

I did think the first one might be pushing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 22:45 
Rude Belittler

Fable 2 was pretty fun. I didn't like Fable 3 at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 15:42 
Bad Girl

I was trying very carefully earlier not to wake my dog. Man alive, don’t try and play anything on your Xbox controller that uses the face buttons. Those buttons have got way too much travel and make a racket. The PS5 controller is way nicer and quieter with much less travel and response.

Mind you, then I boot up the PS5 with a disc in the drive and the whole room sounds like it’s taking off into the fucking stratosphere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:21 
Bad Girl

Tried that The Falconeer.

Yeah it’s pretty BUT THE TEXT IS TOO FUCKING SMALL. 2021, 50-odd inch telly, sat on my couch and I’m squinting at the screen like I’ve just purchased a 360 with Dead Rising.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The text in God of War made me get a bigger TV.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 19:34 
Bad Girl

The Falconeer does gaming at 120 megahertzakovia.

My telly does not.

I won’t be getting a new telly to play The Falconeer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:20 
Can you dig it?

Grim... wrote:
The text in God of War made me get a bigger TV.

The text in the Outer Worlds made me get a different game to play.

(and also I found it quite boring)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:20 
Rude Belittler

I have a Series S as a Gamepass box. I'm currently playing Forza Horizon 4. It's good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:55 
Unpossible!

My lovely wife has bought me a Series S for my birthday. It's very very nice.

I was initially put off by the stingy SSD size with a combination of an external hard drive for lesser played games and cloud gaming for quick dipping, I have all the games I need :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I got one of these Xbox thingamabobz too. Now that I can directly compare it to the PS5, I've declared it the better console.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:30 
Unpossible!

That's quite the bold statement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's just the better piece of hardware. The quick resume is lovely, the dashboard is better, the joypads aren't as good but there's very little on the PS5 that really takes advantage of them, and the party system isn't bullshit. Everything just works faster on the Xbox.

The PS5 has better exclusive games, though, so buy that one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:48 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:

There it is

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:36 
Excellent Painter

The thing is, anecdotally, the S is much much easier to get hold of than either iteration of the PS5.
I got a series X which I bought on a whim, as even though I’m on discord, I kept missing PS5s and not working at a computer I rarely have the time to “do the queue”
It’s a nice machine. But as ever, I don’t have much time for gaming. I’ve got a PS4 pro if I really want to play the exclusives, so…

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 13:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

There it is

It depends on where your definition of "console" ends.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 13:14 
Unpossible!

DBSnappa wrote:
The thing is, anecdotally, the S is much much easier to get hold of than either iteration of the PS5.
I got a series X which I bought on a whim, as even though I’m on discord, I kept missing PS5s and not working at a computer I rarely have the time to “do the queue”
It’s a nice machine. But as ever, I don’t have much time for gaming. I’ve got a PS4 pro if I really want to play the exclusives, so…

It's amazing to me that even now, over a year after launch the XBX and the PS5 are still hard to get hold of.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 13:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Gamepass is ridiculously good value too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 13:52 
Rude Belittler

I have a series S, it's great. Series S plus Game Pass is the best value console gaming I think I've ever seen (at this point in the console lifecycle, I mean, coming in late and picking up a console at the end of a lifecycle and a bunch of cheap games is possibly better)

I have played and enjoyed a bunch of games I never would have touched otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 14:01 
Excellent Painter

Trooper wrote:
Gamepass is ridiculously good value too.

It certainly appears so!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 14:03 
Excellent Painter

Pundabaya wrote:
I have a series S, it's great. Series S plus Game Pass is the best value console gaming I think I've ever seen (at this point in the console lifecycle, I mean, coming in late and picking up a console at the end of a lifecycle and a bunch of cheap games is possibly better)

I have played and enjoyed a bunch of games I never would have touched otherwise.

It is a bit “kid in a candy store”
If only I had more time!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 14:24 
Decapodian

As another owner of both systems but with more of a Playstation history, I think both look good as physical pieces of kit.
I prefer the PS dashboard and UI, but the XBox seems to be that little bit more powerful.
I definitely prefer the PS5 controllers, and there are better exclusive games, but the XBox GamePass is amazing value for money.

You won't be disappointed with either, but if you have a bunch of friends on one system and not the other then that's the one you should go for,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 15:59 
Unpossible!

I hated the Xbox UI when I came up from the 360, but it seems to have settled in a lot over the last few years. Nice that it's the same across the last 2 generations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 17:59 

I've not used the Xbox series X but I have a PS5 so I think that one's better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 20:41 
Bad Girl

I’ve had both for a while now and the PS5 seems like the better proposition for me.

Xbox STILL doesn’t allow you to record voices other than your own on capture so good luck if someone you’re playing with said something funny happened and you want to upload it as it ain’t happening. PS records voices without much fuss.

Xbox STILL doesn’t allow you to upload straight to YouTube neither. You’ve got to upload to OneDrive and then to YouTube on a separate device. PS allows direct uploads to YouTube.

Talking of captures, you’re limited to, IIRC, 3 fucking minutes of recorded footage unless you have another spare drive to plug in. PS records an hour in the background.

The Xbox Series X pad is… another Xbox pad. No haptics, speaker or those press sensitive squeezy PS triggers. It just looks and feels last gen. Or the gen before that.

The Xbox UI hasn’t changed since I owned an Xbox One X so just booting it up the worlds most powerful console and being greeted with the same screens was deflating. You get used to it, but it doesn’t scream ultramegaflops. At least the PS was a tiny bit different, all grey and metallic looking.

The Xbox exclusives games are very underwhelming right now. Halo STILL hasn’t got campaign coop or a full feature set. The multiplayer is dying despite being really good fun, just due to lack of maps. I’ve yet to play an Xbox game since the Series Xs release that would have made me want to get an Xbox over a PlayStation. On PlayStation I’ve played several of the PS5 exclusives and they’re fucking bangers. Demon’s Souls was mwah. Returnal has a surprise coop mode RELEASING TOMORROW! That game fucking slaps.

Xbox Game Pass is a great proposition though. PS Now doesn’t get a look in. Tunic looks great on the Xbox, mind, for zero pence. The Day One releases are amazing like Gears 5. It’s just a shame that Gears 5 was so fucking dry you’d swear it was going through the menopause. Only 10 of my games I finished last year were on Xbox and almost all of them were weird indie titles. I played 12 of the big hitters on PS. And a couple of Switch titles. Nothing I’ve played on Xbox has really stood out so far which is a real shame, but maybe that’s just catering to my individual gaming preferences. And the amount of shit I’ve tried on Xbox game pass though? Whoa, I could make a list of crap games but that’s what you get for your money: some great, some good and the rest are shit at best or not your thing. I still reckon it’s good value for money though. For people with limited funds to buy games then it’s a no brained. I do want to play Psychonauts though when I’m done with Elden Ring (50 hours and counting so far. It’s a masterpiece). But PS5 does have the complementary library of games for managing to find a PS5 that, in my eyes, does revival Games Pass for the sheer quality of games on offer. But when you’ve beaten them, you ain’t getting any more so, yeah, not really a rival but for anyone getting a PS5, you’ll have access to some of the PlayStations best games for the last gen (with some PS5 upgrades for some games). Persona 5’s on there.

Games for Gold however is a fucking embarrassment. The sooner they kill it and merge it within game pass the better. Just terrible shit every month. PlayStation Plus however gives you some great games each month. Well, most months.

Which reminds me, when you get trophies now the PS records a short clip. I’m fighting Margot for the hundredth time and I’ve got my dog shouting in my face when I just manage to get in a final hit.

It’s just a fun little thing that amused me afterwards when deleting some space. You won’t get that with Xbox neither cause the pad doesn’t have a speaker to record your voice.

Oh and for gamers who like gaming PS has revealed PS VR2 which looks noice. Xbox isn’t doing VR either so if you’re interested in that then Xbox isn’t going to help.

While I’m on it, Dirt 5 was/is on Game Pass and the multiplayer is fucking glorious. Me and pal had a fucking riot with it and was disgusted that you have to buy a sodding capture card or some shit to record your voices on the game. It was cheap on PS by then so we brought it again and played it there. That’s an anecdote that is about captures because apparently that’s annoying me the most about the Xbox, judging from the above.

Lastly the box the PlayStation came in was boring as fuck. The Xbox series X unboxing is one of my favourite unboxings in like ever. It screams quality.

I reckon the Xbox looks the better system too. It’s a cool black obelisk. Mind you, the PlayStation with all the white accessories is pretty neat. Does Xbox have 3D audio by the way? PS does and the headset is pretty ace for that.

So yeah, I prefer my PlayStation at the minute. Xbox: make some fucking games I want to play. And make those fuckers look nice too; nothing looks, feels or plays next gen so far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 20:53 
Unpossible!

That "record you when you get a trophy" thing is 100% the first thing I would switch off. Fuck that noise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 23:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
PS records voices without much fuss.

It's possible, but it is faff. The other person has to allow it and it's hard to know if they've done that properly until you watch the video.

The downside of PS sharing is that yes you can upload to YouTube, but getting videos or screenshots to your phone/computer (to share here, for instance) is a right ballache. The Xbox phone app lets you share directly from it to any destination you like.

The recording time on the Xbox is pissweak, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 0:15 
Bad Girl

Quote:
It's possible, but it is faff. The other person has to allow it and it's hard to know if they've done that properly until you watch the video.

You go into the settings: Share Your Voice and set it to “allow”. Then you literally never need to do anything else ever again. It’s not exactly taxing.

Quote:
The downside of PS sharing is that yes you can upload to YouTube, but getting videos or screenshots to your phone/computer (to share here, for instance) is a right ballache. The Xbox phone app lets you share directly from it to any destination you like.

Yeah, it’s not a bad phone app. But then again I just went onto YouTubes phone app and grabbed the share link to share that video above here. Not exactly a ballache and I don’t have to save it to my phone either.

I don’t use screenshots but apparently you’ve got to have a Twitter account to upload them, which is a bit shit though. That’s a dumb choice. I think I recall that Sony are updating the app to have some share functions in the future though, so there might be some parity in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
Quote:

You go into the settings: Share Your Voice and set it to “allow”. Then you literally never need to do anything else ever again. It’s not exactly taxing.

That's for your voice. Have the people you're playing with done the same thing?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 15:52 
Bad Girl

You’re right, it’s an unsolvable mystery.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 13:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No, it's a faff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 13:26 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
[think I recall that Sony are updating the app to have some share functions in the future though, so there might be some parity in the future.

And what do you know, they’ve already done it.

Its got auto upload your captures to the app, which is pretty ace. I think Xbox does that, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:49 
Participant in dramatic games

I got game pass on my android tv sideloacejd, and with the ps5 I sort of have best of both world now.. with my son playing Forza on his laptop through the gamepass as well

just wished they made tunic available for cloud gaming as well

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

Tunic is an absolute delight, I even new game plussed it for a bit, which is unheard of for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 23:59 
Sitting balls-back folder

FYI if you add a 3 month game pass ultimate prepay you're offered an extra month for turning on recurring billing. Given cdkeys are offering those codes for a third off, that's 4 months for the price of two.

However!

If you immediately turn off recurring and add a further prepay, you aren't offered that extra month, so leave it til the next day or something. That used to work (I did it when stacking Xbox live gold subs to convert to game pass ultimate, which also still works but not at a rate that makes it still worth doing)

Presumably it's a recent fudge fix because I then turned recurring on for Microsoft 365, got the month, turned it off... And it offered me the same deal immediately, but then failed after the credit card £0.00 Auth stage.

Also the redemption bit in the Xbox store app locked up and I had to do it in account.microsoft.com on my phone.

Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4