Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Finish 52 books 2021
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 17:44 
Best
Board Mother

Malc started this thread off last year and I really enjoyed it. Not just to keep up with my own reading, but it was interesting to see what others were reading too and to get recommendations.

I hope people will join in again. :nerd: :)

Post subject: Re: Finish 52 books 2021
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 17:46 
Best
Board Mother

1) Linwood Barclay - Fear the worst

I don't know what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed this. I didn't see some of the plot coming either which was nice. Would recommend. :)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The worst day of Tim Blake's life started out with him making breakfast for his seventeen-year-old daughter Sydney. Syd was staying with him while she worked a summer job - even if he wasn't entirely sure what her job at the Just Inn Time motel actually was - and Tim hoped this quality father-daughter time would somehow help her deal with his divorce. When she didn't arrive home at her usual time, he thought she'd probably gone to the mall to hang with her friends. When she didn't answer her phone he began to worry. When she didn't come home at all, he began to panic. And when the people at the motel said they had no Sydney Blake working there, and never had, he began to see his life going into freefall.

If she hadn't been working at the motel every day, what had she been doing? Something she couldn't - or wouldn't - tell her own father about? To find his daughter, Tim doesn't need to simply track her down - he needs to know who she really was, and what could have made her step out of her own life without leaving a trace.

Only one thing has him convinced the worst hasn't already happened: the fact that some very scary people seem just as eager as he is to find her. The question is, who's going to find her first?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 18:30 
Skillmeister

okay i'll try to do this one this year.

1. James Lovegrove - Sherlock Holmes and the Beast of the Stapletons.

Fun times from the author sporting the closest to Conan Doyle's literary style I've found thus far. Not as good as last year's .. Christmas Demon, but good none the less.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 19:31 
Master of dodgy spelling....

1) Alan Moore, Brian Bolland - Batman The killing Joke, The deluxe edition.

My secret santa book. Contains an evil Joker, a Theme park, an origin story, Batman and a joke.

I enjoyed this as I have not read it before, it also has a pre & post sections explain why it was written.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Gonna try keeping this going this year, rather than flaking out after 3 books.

1.) The House Share - Kate Helm

A 3 for £5 special. Immi's new flatshare seems too good to be true! Affordable rent, a perfect location and a chilled out community vibe! But is there something more sinister lurking behind the yoga sessions and free kimchi? Yes, of course there is!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 13:31 
Soopah red DS

I never got into this last year. But this time...

1) The Dutch House - Ann Patchett.

If I have to pick one, I go for Bel Canto as my favourite book (I even quite like the film as a result), but had read nothing else by her. I'll fix that this year, starting with this lovely story of how a family is shaped, fractures and hangs together, hung on the hook of a big house. She's a great writer, occasional paragraphs stopping me in my tracks to reflect on how much meaning she has packed in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 13:40 
Best
Board Mother

JBR wrote:
I never got into this last year. But this time...

If I have to pick one, I go for Bel Canto as my favourite book (I even quite like the film as a result), but had read nothing else by her. I'll fix that this year, starting with this lovely story of how a family is shaped, fractures and hangs together, hung on the hook of a big house. She's a great writer, occasional paragraphs stopping me in my tracks to reflect on how much meaning she has packed in.

That does sound interesting, I'll look out for that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 14:43 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:

2) Traitors of Rome (Eagles of the Empire 18) - Simon Scarrow. Adventures of Roman soldiers Macro and Cato. I used to read all of these, but they got a bit samey. Reckon I've missed 8 or so in the series. Still as decent a page-turner as ever, though I finished it thinking "yep, that all fits". Decent, if cardboard cut-out, characters, but nothing special.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 
Prince of Fops

1) The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

A short one to kick off the year. A brilliantly written ghost story, with well-drawn characters and an arch narrator.

Its currency is atmosphere rather than shocks and scares, and it's all the more satisfying for it.

I believe it was adapted into a Netflix series recently, though it sounds like it deviates quite markedly from the book.

Would highly recommend (the book, because we're in the book thread)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 20:59 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
JBR wrote:
2) Traitors of Rome (Eagles of the Empire 18) - Simon Scarrow.

3) Night Frost - RD Wingfield. I love these. Frost is such a well-drawn character - you could make equally good cases for him as kind-hearted and hard working, if slapdash, or lazy, lucky and miserable, or some other combination of characteristics. There are some decent jokes. They're set 40 or so years ago: although that's in my living memory, the stuff that's a product of when it was written (this one has them walking in on a brand new "enormous" 28 inch TV) are charming rather than clunking - I suppose because technology is just described as a background, not fetishised. I don't know if I ever really watched the TV version, but have certainly seen enough to have David Jason in my head when I read. He fits perfectly - either brilliant casting, or just inescapable given I saw (some of) the TV version first. There are only 10 books, this is the third; I'm bound to read them all, but in no rush, especially as only the first 6 were written by Wingfield.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:26 
Master of dodgy spelling....

1) Alan Moore, Brian Bolland - Batman The killing Joke, The deluxe edition.
2) Stella Rimmington - Riptide

This is the sixth book in the series. A very well written spy book. More spooks than Bond. With a very strong female lead.

Quote:

To catch an enemy with nothing to lose, Liz Carlyle must venture into dangerous waters.

When pirates attack a cargo ship off the Somalian coast and one of them is found to be a British-born Pakistani, alarm bells start ringing at London's Thames House. MI5 Intelligence Officer Liz Carlyle is brought in to establish how and why a young British Muslim could go missing from his well-to-do family in Birmingham and end up onboard a pirate skiff in the Indian Ocean, armed with a Kalashnikov.

After an undercover operative connected to the case turns up dead in the shipping office of an NGO in Athens it looks like piracy may be the least of the Service's problems. Liz and her team must unravel the connections between Pakistan, Greece and Somalia, relying on their wits - and the judicious use of force - to get to the truth. And they don't have long, as trouble is brewing closer to home: the kind of explosive trouble that MI5 could do without ...

Stella Rimington, former Director General of MI5, returns with a tense and heart-stopping spy thriller where the secrets are deep, the stakes are high and the enemy is always just out of sight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 15:51 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
3) Night Frost - RD Wingfield.

4) Chessmen of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs. Old-fashioned 'Stories for Boys', where men are men and women are stolen then chased. For all that, there's great invention in the ideas, and there's enough action to keep the pages turning. Green men, Red men; but who is the toughest? There's only one way to find out. And they will fight. Over and over.
This is the fifth of the John Carter books (and already Carter himself barely features), and that might be enough for me, given they're pretty similar. Being so old, they're available for free via Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1153.

And for Rice Burroughs in general: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/48

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:18 
Best
Board Mother

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
1. Linwood Barclay - Fear the worst

2. Linwood Barclay - Too close to home

I went straight in for another one and was not disappointed. There was one plot point that I figured out quite early on, but the rest kept me guessing, so I again enjoyed it.

To the point that I have ordered further books by this author that should be here on Saturday.

I better get something else read quickly! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 23:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

1) Doctor Sleep - Stevie King

It's the sequel to The Shining. It's not as good as The Shining, but that's hardly damning, not a lot is. It was nice to go back into that world, and entertaining enough. Now I can watch the movie!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 13:01 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
1) Doctor Sleep - Stevie King

It's the sequel to The Shining. It's not as good as The Shining, but that's hardly damning, not a lot is. It was nice to go back into that world, and entertaining enough. Now I can watch the movie!

That's good to hear. I'd started to shy away from his writing as he went more towards fantasy, but I do feel he's learning back towards the horror genre in recent years. I'll give this one a look - thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:09 
Unpossible!

The series of books starting with Mr Mercedes are excellent. Detective novels with some classic King style thrown over the top

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 16:35 
Best
Board Mother

DavPaz wrote:
The series of books starting with Mr Mercedes are excellent. Detective novels with some classic King style thrown over the top

Ooh, they do look interesting. I really dropped out of the loop on his work, but these look good.

I'm keeping an eye out on eBay. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 0:38 
Skillmeister

Dimrill wrote:

Fun times from the author sporting the closest to Conan Doyle's literary style I've found thus far. Not as good as last year's .. Christmas Demon, but good none the less.

2. Anne Rice - The Vampire Armand.

Very gay. 8/10.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:

2.) Rebecca -Daphne de Maurier

The unnamed heroine falls in love with and marries the brooding Mr de Winter and returns to the imposing ancestral home of Manderley, where she must infiltrate a criminal gang within the high-octane underground world of street racing!

This is part of my attempt to read more of the "classics". I really enjoyed it. The narattor is both sympathetic and annoyingly limp at times, Mrs Danvers is suitably threatening and the whole thing had a nice aura of menance and suspense. 12 thumbs up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:

3.) The Black Cloud - Fred Hoyle

Spooky space shenanigans are afoot! Luckily there are some pipe-smoking Englishmen to fix it, whilst all those foriegns are ineffectual. A Sci-Fi classic, but reads as SOOO old fashioned now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 19:22 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
4) Chessmen of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs.

5) Three Sisters, Three Queens - Philippa Gregory. Told from the viewpoint of Margaret, sister to Henry VIII and Mary, and sister-in-law of Katherine of Aragon. Margaret, Mary and Katherine are the 'three sisters' of the title, but Margaret is less known, hence the story. Really evocatively recreates the sense of growing up destined for power and yet only ever having a tenuous grasp on it - gained by marriage, diminished by children dying, or being born female. At times it can slip into a long line of children being born and then dying, and Margaret's jealousy of the others' position is only occasionally replaced by any empathy, but that changes as times passes and the characters grow old. Margaret was the English Queen of Scotland, a parlous position in itself, and looming over it all is England, Henry and the ructions in the English court, which is portrayed as just the jaunt we know of it. Boleyn appears at the end as the wildcard. A longish book but a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 22:11 
Excellent Painter

I'm re-reading E F Schumacher's seminal A Guide For The Perplexed, which I first read in my late 20s. It's short, very elegantly written in that it is totally comprehensible, though very studied in its knowledge and sources. I'l review it properly when I've finished it, I'm just flagging it now, as I think it's one of those books that properly helps you stabilise, particularly in times where so much of what we take for granted is being constrained or taken away, and the concomitant stresses that these exigencies deliver. Give it a try, it's a properly thought provoking book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 20:18 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
5) Three Sisters, Three Queens - Philippa Gregory.

Away With The Penguins - Hazel Prior. I'm not sure why I picked this up - cheap for Kindle, probably. For the first fifth, I thought it was going to be a fairly trashy story of an old, cranky lady. Then the central idea of the novel, work at a penguin sanctuary bringing people together, hoves in and it totally caught me. It's actually a simple, lovely story about family, penguins and talking about your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 23:12 

1) Star Wars: Darth Plagueis - James Luceno

Got this for Christmas a couple of years ago, but I read a few chapters and just never picked it up again. That's not meant to be a reflection on its quality and I can't remember why I stopped reading it.
Anyway, titled after the character that was mentioned in Revenge of the Sith (I think), this covers events up to and including the prequel trilogy. Although it starts with Plagueis killing his own master, the real thread of the story is the rise of Palpatine/Sidious and how he came to be in the position he was in at the start of the Phantom Menace, while name dropping most of the other characters along the way.
Quite enjoyable, but I've lost track of whether it's canon or not anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 0:32 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
6) Away With The Penguins - Hazel Prior.

Confessions of a Curious Bookseller - Elizabeth Green. 2/5; charmless character shows advanced passive-agressiveness, while we occasionally see reasons why she is like that, and there's some redemption at the end, but not enough to justify the journey. It's told mostly through emails, with occasional journal entries, notes left for characters and blog entries. It's pretty well-done, and rolls by, but it just seems such a waste. I'm as soft-as the ground outside after 2021's rain, so it brought a couple of tears, but I reckon the author will do a great job with a different subject.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 18:05 
Best
Board Mother

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

3. Linwood Barclay - Parting Shot

Really easy reading and always keeps me guessing about a few bits until the end which is nice. I only have one more book of his to go through before it looks like I sart on a series he has written. I better get to eBay quickly! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 19:50 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Is your next one "Bad Move"? I'm reading that now! Enjoying so far, with a little bit of comedy compared to his others.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 22:45 
Best
Board Mother

Squirt wrote:
Is your next one "Bad Move"? I'm reading that now! Enjoying so far, with a little bit of comedy compared to his others.

Yes, just on The Accident now. I'll have to look what else I can get. Totally forgot tonight! :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:48 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I read station 11 on someone's recommendation from here. It's really well written and a really good example of the gentle apocalypse genre, tightly focusing on individual's stories and using the over arching end of the world plot as a setting. Recommended reading.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:51 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:

4.) Bad Move - Linwood Barclay

I do enjoy Linwood Barclay, really solid thrillers that do exactly what you want them to. Mystery! Suspense! A slight doofus of a protagonist! Corruption!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:54 
Best
Board Mother

Squirt wrote:
Squirt wrote:

I do enjoy Linwood Barclay, really solid thrillers that do exactly what you want them to. Mystery! Suspense! A slight doofus of a protagonist! Corruption!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Eek, I'm looking forward to the rest of them!

As a testament to how much I am enjoying them, I have a self imposed book-buying ban as I have so many to work through and I really want to make some space. I ordered four of his books from eBay yesterday. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 13:44 
Excellent Painter

krazywookie wrote:
I read station 11 on someone's recommendation from here. It's really well written and a really good example of the gentle apocalypse genre, tightly focusing on individual's stories and using the over arching end of the world plot as a setting. Recommended reading.

I think that may have been me. Glad you enjoyed it. The author has a new book out, which I have, but haven’t read yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 15:39 
chewbacca -future arc welder

DBSnappa wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

I think that may have been me. Glad you enjoyed it. The author has a new book out, which I have, but haven’t read yet.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 23:28 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:

5.) The Longest Afternoon - Brendan Simms

A really interesting ( and very short - only 80 pages ) read about the few hundred allied soldiers who held the farmhouse of La Haye Sainte in the middle of the battle of Waterloo and arguably played a big role in the eventual victory. Recommended!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:54 

I've finally finished a book this year!

1."The Impeachers" by Brenda Wineapple

A boorish, egotistical, paranoid, and pugilistic man becomes President by accident, badly handles an existential threat facing the US, has massive rows with Congress, and ends up being impeached.

I'm in two minds about this book. On the positive, it does a good job describing the presidency of Andrew Johnson, his relationship with Congress, and the political intrigues leading up to his subsequent impeachment and (SPOILER) acquittal. It provides appropriate background on the lead players, and briefly sums up what happens afterwards. There's a good energy throughout and it's very readable. Most interesting and new to me is Vinne Reams - a well connected sculptress with a studio in the Capitol's basement that became a popular place for plotting.

However, the whole Reconstruction period is messy and horrific, and whilst the book will describe key events and massacres, this only to explain why the politicians acted as they did. It is not a history of Reconstruction, and as such its focus on events in DC, whilst filling a huge gap in my knowledge, means that it all exists some distance away from what was actually going on.

I'll probably keep it as a reference, but it only serves to remind me that US history did not stop in 1865 and to understand events of a century later and our own time, I need to start getting to grips with how things swiftly fell apart t in the decade after Appomattox.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 15:38 

Joans wrote:

Got this for Christmas a couple of years ago, but I read a few chapters and just never picked it up again. That's not meant to be a reflection on its quality and I can't remember why I stopped reading it.
Anyway, titled after the character that was mentioned in Revenge of the Sith (I think), this covers events up to and including the prequel trilogy. Although it starts with Plagueis killing his own master, the real thread of the story is the rise of Palpatine/Sidious and how he came to be in the position he was in at the start of the Phantom Menace, while name dropping most of the other characters along the way.

2. Humble Pi: A Comedy of Maths Errors - Matt Parker
A look at what happens when people don't take everything into consideration with numbers/maths/programming, with hilarious (or deadly) results.

Highlights include the time Pepsi offered a $20 million plane for approx $700,000 worth of Pepsi points and trying to work out why email wouldn't go further than 500 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 17:28 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
7) Confessions of a Curious Bookseller - Elizabeth Green.

8. James Acaster's Classic Scrapes - James Acaster. Short funny - especially the cabbage story (as seen on Would I Lie to You?), and that even if you've heard it. Helps if you know him, as he has a distinctive voice, that comes through in his writing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 14:59 
Skillmeister

Dimrill wrote:

2. Anne Rice - The Vampire Armand.

3. Anne Rice - Blood and Gold

Very bisexual 8/10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 
Best
Board Mother

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
[/quote]
3. Linwood Barclay - Parting Shot
[/quote]
4. Linwood Barclay - The Accident

Quote:
Glen Garber's life has just spiralled out of control. His wife's car is found at the scene of a drunk-driving accident that took three lives. Not only is she dead, but it appears she was the cause of the accident.

Suddenly Glen has to deal with a potent mixture of emotions: grief at the loss of his wife, along with anger at her reckless behaviour that leaves their young daughter motherless. If only he could convince himself that Sheila wasn't responsible for the tragedy.

But as more and more secrets begin to surface, Glen may have to face something much, much worse . .

I really didn't see what had happened until it was explained at the end, very clever. Just another testament to his writing I think. Already got my next one lined up. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 22:34 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
8. James Acaster's Classic Scrapes - James Acaster.

9) Nina Stibbe - Paradise Lodge. A young girl works in a care home in the 80s (maybe earlier), and ends up preferring it to school. Nina Stibbe writes funny stories of the everyday, and every one I've read has made me laugh out loud. I doubt this bit will do it on its own, but it gives you an idea of the style:
Quote:
It was really sad, and I hate writing it, but Sally-Anne didn't suit trousers. It was to do with her stance (imagine an oddish man about to toss the caber).

Oh, and she makes a list of euphemisms and their meaning for the new boss:
Quote:
Powder my nose - go to the toilet
Spend a penny - urinate
Tinkle - urinate
Wee Wee - urinate
Number two - open bowel
Do business - open bowel
Pass away - die
Pass on - die
Gone - died
Fallen asleep - died
Taken - died

It goes on to - in fact, you know what, I can't resist:

Quote:
Ha'penny - vagina
Tuppence - vagina
Twinkle - vagina
Downstairs - vagina
Sweetie - vagina
Place - vagina
Soldier - penis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 20:51 

Kern wrote:

2. "Chain of Fools: Silent Comedy and Its Legacies from Nickelodeons to YouTube" by Trav SD

A look at the history of silent comedy, from its origins in the traditions of Italian commedia dell'arte through vaudeville thence to its heyday of less than a quarter century, to how its legacy lives on in, of all things, action films.

Obviously most of the book is about silent movies, and as well as the three greats (Chaplain; Keaton; Lloyd) Mr SD discusses in detail the works of lesser-known (to us at least) comics. He's not afraid to gush about the stuff he likes, but isn't afraid to pull his punches when he doesn't like an act or a film (he really, really hates Abbot and Costello, for example). A fun read, but it'd be good if he'd listed all the films mentioned in the text as an appendix as many sparked my interest but I'm going to have to flick back through to remind myself of the titles.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 19:48 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Squirt wrote:
5.) The Longest Afternoon - Brendan Simms

6.) The Holocaust - Laurence Rees

Blinking heck. A really good mix of personal stories, technical detail, the various machinations of the Nazi Party, and the greater context of the war. Bloody hard work to read through, and it's hard not to get "used" to all the horror. I hadn't realised quite how much help the Nazis had from the various occupied countries.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 22:49 

Joans wrote:
Joans wrote:

A look at what happens when people don't take everything into consideration with numbers/maths/programming, with hilarious (or deadly) results.

Highlights include the time Pepsi offered a $20 million plane for approx $700,000 worth of Pepsi points and trying to work out why email wouldn't go further than 500 miles.

3. Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension - Matt Parker
I really enjoyed the last book I read, so thought I'd try another. This one is a bit less humour, bit more maths, and it's been about 20 years since I left university, and I've not really had much use for that level of maths since, so I did find myself glossing over a few bits as I don't really have any desire to reacquaint myself with things like knot theory again.
I nearly bought a third book, but have realised it's just the last one I read renamed (pesky math) for the American market, so I guess I'll have to read something else instead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 23:21 
Isn't that lovely?

1) The Problem With Men - Richard Herring.

Richard Herring talks about his crusade to point out when International Men's Day is, when people (mostly men) ask , on International Women's Day, when it is. A very funny look into sexism, and other isms.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 13:27 
Soopah red DS

JBR wrote:
8. James Acaster's Classic Scrapes - James Acaster.
9) Nina Stibbe - Paradise Lodge.

10) Ann Patchett - Taft. Taft is the family name, and the kids arrive in a new city. The story is told by the bar owner who employs the girl, and ends up suffering the attentions of the boy. It's well, and gently, told, given there's a fair amount of trauma, but not my favourite Ann Patchett book.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:39 

Kern wrote:
2. "Chain of Fools: Silent Comedy and Its Legacies from Nickelodeons to YouTube" by Trav SD

3."The Shortest History of Germany" by James Hawes

A dash through 2,000 of history, from Julius Ceasar to Angela Merkel. The pace never lets up as we see the Romans, Charlemagne, the Teutonic Knights, the Reformation, Napoleon, Hitler, and the GDR flash past our train windows (preferably from a DB ICE 3). All in aid of his central argument that the German lands have always been split between the western facing parts and those beyond the Elbe, and that what we think we know about Germany is mostly a Prussian aberration.

It's an easy, engaging read with a wry humour throughout. The argument from geography is compelling, but as this is only a short read one that I'll have to spend more thinking about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
1) Doctor Sleep - Stevie King!

2) John Dies at the End - David Wong

Jesus, I'm not reading much!
Anyway, JDatE is David Wong's first book, and I read one of his later ones last year (Futuristic Weapons and Fancy suits) and really enjoyed it, this one I didn't think was as good, but it was still good. Weird, supernatural shit happens, and it's a bit disjointed (I think you can tell it was originally a serialised web book as it jumps from plot to plot) and John is a really strange character. It's hard to get a read on what he was meant to be like. But it's still good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh, there's a film. I shall watch it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:11 

Joans wrote:
Joans wrote:
Joans wrote:

3. Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension - Matt Parker
I really enjoyed the last book I read, so thought I'd try another. This one is a bit less humour, bit more maths, and it's been about 20 years since I left university, and I've not really had much use for that level of maths since, so I did find myself glossing over a few bits as I don't really have any desire to reacquaint myself with things like knot theory again.
I nearly bought a third book, but have realised it's just the last one I read renamed (pesky math) for the American market, so I guess I'll have to read something else instead.

4. William Shakespeare's The Merry Rise of the Skywalker - Star Wars Part the Ninth - Ian Doescher

I have to admit, I'm not a massive fan of Shakespeare, but it turns out if you use his style of writing, it can make things kind of amusing. This is the last of the Star Wars in the style of Shakespeare books (or Shakespeare in the style of Star Wars), although I'm hoping he might do Rogue One and Solo at some point. There is a Back to the Future one, but that didn't really click with me for some reason.

5. Serenity: Those Left Behind - Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews, Will Conrad

A welcome gift from my secret Santa, set between the series and the film. I should probably have rewatched Firefly beforehand, as I've only seen it twice, and the first of those times was at Grim...'s about 11 years ago (the second was shortly afterwards, not sure the first viewing counts), so I am a bit rusty, but it was enjoyable enough.
Thanks again, Secret Santa (and no, we've still not played that game, sorry).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 14:12 

1: 1984 (Orwell). I thought I’d give this another go as I was 14 or 15 when I last read it, and honestly... it wasn’t that great. I mean, the idea are sound and as an exploration of state control and manipulation it is amazing for the time of writing and feels never more appropriate, but at the same time, gosh, those torture scenes go on forever and everything is just very slow.

2: Piranesi (Susanna Clarke). Rev Owen sent me Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and it became one of my favourite books. I just adore it. So, when Susanna Clarke bought out a second book I really wanted to read it. I love magical realism, and alternative magical histories, and this just ticked all my boxes. My only sadness that it was so much shorter than her first novel, and I wanted it to go on and on. I hope the next book doesn’t take another 17 years to come out. :D

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next