PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 13:07 
Bad Girl

Like I give a shit how much they earn.

Post subject: Re: The Last of Us 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 13:39 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Enjoy your more expensive consoles!

Enjoy your lack of choice in game pricing!

I don't know why we're being weird and slightly shitty about other people's choices but I thought I'd join in anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 13:46 

Zardoz wrote:
I much prefer a nice resellable/tradable disc too!

Plus just being able to lend games to friends. I'll keep buying consoles with drives for as long as it's an option.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 14:37 
Rude Belittler

I'm seriously considering getting the PS5 without the drive. I haven't bought a physical disc in years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 14:39 

Not even a coaster or plate?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 15:08 
Excellent Member

It would have to be a lot cheaper for me to consider it which I don't think it will be, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:19 
Prince of Fops

My PS4's continued insistence on spitting out discs when it gets hot, and the general noise generated by the drive, means I've occasionally digitally bought games I already own on disc. Next one I'm considering is GTAV.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:32 
UltraMod

Findus Fop wrote:
My PS4's continued insistence on spitting out discs when it gets hot, and the general noise generated by the drive, means I've occasionally digitally bought games I already own on disc. Next one I'm considering is GTAV.

Probably would’ve been cheaper getting it repaired.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:35 
Unpossible!

I've bought GTAV 3 times and still haven't really played it properly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 16:59 
Bad Girl

Never played GTA 8, any good?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 17:02 
Unpossible!

Silly rabbit, that would be GTAVIII

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 18:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Enjoy your lack of choice in game pricing!

pfft like I'm not getting the expensive one

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 18:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And then exclusively buying digital games, I strongly suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 23:41 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:

If only I had a load of used games I could sell to offset the cost.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:17 
Bad Girl

This got a good chuckle out of me.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Smash Brandy’s Coot.

Oh and the Scorpion reference when she throws the rope

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 20:33 
Ready for action

Anyone got any spoiler free thoughts on this game?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 21:43 
Unpossible!

It's going to sell a shit load of copies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 21:59 
Bad Girl

Y’know when you played TLOU on the PlayStation 3 and it was stunning? Then you played TLOU remaster on your modern PS4 and it was just as lovely but now running at a sweet smooth 60FPS? Well, now you’re back getting PlayStation 3 frames per second this time.

Remember when Ellie stabbed people in the neck with her switchblade during the winter and it was nasty and guttural? Well, you’ll get some more of that. Frankly, the gameplay has been extremely similar during the 5 hours I’ve got clocked on it. Not that that’s a bad thing at all. You can look forward to some new stuff though, like, going prone! Jumping! Remember when you’d hide in long grass? Now you can go prone in short grass! They’ve moved across some of the stuff from Uncharted 4 here too, so now there’s a semi open world section where you move from one point of interest to another in a vehicle and “rope” puzzles.

Other than going prone I’m struggling to think of anything original here. There’s a hotel section. No, they did that in the first game. Erm... what about the banter? There’s Uncharted bantz!

Oh I know what was cool, the reflections in the TV screens. Seriously, fucking AAA quality. Proper reflections too I think. The mirrors are proper mirrors too.

So there you go, TLOU 2 is more of TLOU 1 on the PS3 on the PS4.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 22:09 
UltraMod

The plot is the purpose…sigh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 22:11 
Bad Girl

Oh and it’s not been all miserable and dreary so far. There’s been a lot of moments of levity and downtime where the characters just pick up stuff and say things to each other. Maybe it’ll get more oppressively horrible later but so far it’s pretty much what you’d expect from a sequel that’s clearly never going to be able to capture the story beats of the first game. It’s all about expanding the universe since the zombie apocalypse was dealt with. The story does seem a little one-note so far though, but then again you could boil the first games singular motivation down to just get Ellie to the fireflies.

Oh and remember when the PS3 came out with DLC for a Uber difficult mode called survivor? That’s here from the start. And that’s what I’m playing it on too... even though the game begged me not too for my first playthrough. But fuck it all in. Hopefully it should keep me in the world longer and coming up with better engagement strats than “oops, everyone is triggered; time to shoot them all to death.”

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 22:13 
Excellent Member

I'm waiting until the PS5 version because fuck 30FPS.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 23:28 
Bad Girl

Right, so I’ve clocked up 10 hours on this so I’m in a better position to say:

• the comments about it being oppressively miserable? Load of bollocks so far. It’s currently about the same as TLOU. And I love miserable. I rate Cormac McCarthy’s The Road in my fave books and this ain’t that.

• erm, where are the people? I remember TLOU from meeting the odd survivor and here I’ve met... no one. If you aren’t interested in Ellie and her AI partner you’re gonna be upset. Fortunately it’s all gravy, but I miss such great characters as black dad and kid and, um, that lonely gay bloke.

• the graphics are reet nice and I understand, on the Pro at least, it’s got the enhanced resolution but, I’m sorry, if have much much preferred the extra grunt going towards some extra frames. I get a headache spinning the camera around waiting for it to stop before I get a clear image. And there’s loads to look at, I mean, you should see the expense spared on the barrels. Super looking barrels. Tons of em; different shapes and sizes and various states of decay. I’d enjoy looking at them more if they came into focus quicker. Oh and motion blur is turned on by default. Set to 10 as well. Fucking turn that shit off immediately, unless you love your graphics looking like a blurry mess every time you touch the sticks.

• On survivor difficulty I’ve fired a grand total of 3 rounds and one of them it made do it in the tutorial section. Now I’m 10 hours in I’ve got as much as ammo as I can carry for 2 weapons... 8 measly rounds for the shotgun. So I finally fired one at some git. I might start shooting a couple of people. If you aren’t into role playing the game I’d strongly suggest you don’t go for this difficulty. I’ve stabbed so many people. Mind you, it’s made some encounters come alive as I spent at least an hour trying to get out of a book shop against 6 nosey fuckers from a nearby petrol station. Took ages to get out without alerting anyone. I tried to get them to funnel into a kill box but they inevitably bumrushed me in numbers. I got a couple to blithely enter and let me stab them before hiding behind a wall and repeating but they must have got wise to it. It was pretty impressive for the AI, so I thought.

• but there’s some AI problems like the first that take you out of the fiction. It’s silly but for the most part I’ve seen very few moments like this. It’s mainly where you box yourself in, around doors or in corridors... you’ll occasionally get your AI partner running in front of someone who won’t notice them. Much fewer than TLOU1.

• some good stuff: “Dave push up” *gurgle* “They got Dave! He’s dead” I like the enemy chat a lot.

• more good stuff: killing a dog handler and watching the dog nose the corpse and whining. I watched one and it took ages before it started wandering lost. Then the enemy going “Hey boy, where Dave? Show me boy” “Oh god Dave” Then catching an arrow with their teeth.

Yeah, it’s good this. More of the same gameplay-wise but it’s a good blast and interesting to boot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:51 
Hello Hello Hello

I'll wait until you've finished it and give a final verdict.

I've gone full RDR2 on this one and watched/read loads of full spoiler reviews and I'm not convinced it's really a game for me at all.

Bellular did a pretty comprehensive explanation of his problems with it.

Attachment:
bazzresso.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:55 

If the angry YouTubers hate it then it's got to be worth a look.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Well that's the thing Bellular is a very level headed and chilled out guy, not some angry anti-SJW rant machine. (Same goes for SkillUp.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:47 
Bad Girl

I don’t know how you can take SkillUp seriously after his TLOU1 review.

He didn’t like the gameplay in a game that lasts some 15 hours long, played it on normal difficulty (where the challenge is minimal) and thought the combat was rubbish - yet proclaims is a masterpiece. Seriously lost his credibility. I thought he might review a video game not it’s cutscenes...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Well that's how I felt about TLOU1 to an extent, in that the game itself was fairly underwhelming but I was so invested in the characters and story that it kept me pushing forward.

Also I put it down to EASY difficulty because I'm so utterly shit at controlling games like this with a pad.

So yeah, it was the world and the characters and the story that made the game for me, not the actual videogame mechanics.

Attachment:
tlou.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:14 
Bad Girl

It’s a stealth horror survival game, you don’t need precise aiming to walk up behind someone and press X.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 
Hello Hello Hello

You're woefully underestimating how shockingly bad I am at FPS/third person games with a pad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:55 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
You're woefully underestimating how shockingly bad I am at FPS/third person games with a pad.

Have you tried inverting the X or Y stick and seeing if that seems more natural? You've played a fair chunk of games on a pad now and you shouldn't still be unable to walk up behind someone and stab them. I realise there is a learning curve of sorts because I remember having to learn how to play FPS' (not third-person games though as they've always been better and easier with a pad) when I first got an X360 but I only had to put a few hours in before it started to click and you're way past that now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Have you tried inverting the X or Y stick and seeing if that seems more natural? You've played a fair chunk of games on a pad now and you shouldn't still be unable to walk up behind someone and stab them. I realise there is a learning curve of sorts because I remember having to learn how to play FPS' (not third-person games though as they've always been better and easier with a pad) when I first got an X360 but I only had to put a few hours in before it started to click and you're way past that now.

Yeah I tried inverting and found myself in a weird space with it, in that it felt better in some regards but worse in others, probably because I still had muscle memory from playing flight sims back in ye olde days.

Fundamentally I just don't play enough FPS/3rd person games on consoles to really teach myself how to get used to it, and indeed avoid doing so wherever possible (i.e. console exclusives essentially force me into a space I'm not comfortable with from a control perspective), I struggled terribly with Death Stranding when it came to the shooty bits and can't wait to play it through again on PC.

Basic world traversal I'm OK with but once you start adding in combat and using the 8462 buttons the average gamepad is festooned with these days, it all goes to shit.

I'm fine with arcade games and racing/driving sim games though, in fact when playing GTA4 and GTA5 on PC I'd use a gamepad for the driving bits and then switch to K+M when on foot.

When I was over in Manchester about 18 months ago I watched my nephew playing Dishonored 2 on his PS4 and I swear it was like fucking voodoo, the finesse and accuracy he had pulling off the most outrageous manoeuvres with a pad really was something to behold.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm a couple of hour's gameplay ahead of Sat (I think - I'm a way into Day 2) and I'm loving this game, game fans. There are some lovely moments (like the giraffe moment from the original) and fortunately my brain is too old and mushy to care about how many times a new picture is drawn on the TV. I did notice a texture pop up once, though! Fortunately I was able to push it from my mind and continue playing.

Zombies go "arrgh" and Ellie goes "pew pew" and people go "I'll look in this shop" and Ellie goes "stab stab" and Ellie goes "stab stab" and Ellie goes "stab stab" and Ellie goes "stab stab" and then Ellie stabs them in the neck whilst whispering "shhhh" in their ear which isn't terrifying behaviour at all.

Like Sat I was awash with bullets and parts - I think Ellie is a bit too good at the "stab stab" early in the game - but that's quickly going away now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 17:21 
Bad Girl

Anyone want this code for these things?

Ammo Capacity Upgrade: Instantly unlock an ammo capacity upgrade for Ellie’s pistol.

Crafting Training Manual: Instantly unlock the Crafting Training Manual, which provides access to new crafting recipes and upgrades

Code below.

--------

Your Code: TKL9-TANM-KX68

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 17:54 
Bad Girl

Also, in terms of pre-order bonuses that’s got to be the worst shit I’ve seen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 23:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

This game continues to be great. More exciting info tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:30 
Bad Girl

Stabbing people isn’t working so well and it’s giving me more ammo. It reminds me of that change in pace in Manhunt when it gives you guns.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:32 
Bad Girl

The best thing that’s happened so far happened at ...

the workbench. Oh it’s a safe zone, WHERESMYFUCKINGNSHOTGUN!?.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 0:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Right? Fuckers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 0:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also, I think I've worked out why the big thing that happened happened. And if I'm right, it's going to turn out badly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:17 
Ready for action

Tempted to buy this ASAP but I’d need to take time off from CoD Warzone to play this...part of me says to wait until I’ve cooled on Warzone a bit but I’m nervous about getting spoilers from somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 16:06 
Bad Girl

I didn’t realise this had a dismemberment system until this guy ran at me and I only managed to squeeze off at his leg.

Bye bye leg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 16:41 
Bad Girl

So I’ve got 19 hours into this annnd it’s starting to feel a little long.

Minor late game (I think) level spoilers.

I was kinda burned out slogging through the first half of the Sunken City which didn’t really add anything new to what came before until you get a decent mall section. It’s got a good map and a new swimming bit to murder folk easier which did a good job of putting you against a lot of enemies in a large section but making you somewhat OP as you indiscriminately stab someone before hiding in the water. I liked it a fair amount. Then it’s to the boat for some Half Life ride down the rapids stopping off to visit places, remove obstacles and murder people. It’s got a good boss fight too in an arcade.

It felt like it was reaching a conclusion as you reach your destination and I was really invested in what happening.

Story spoiler.

Then you switch character and the pace just hits the emergency break. Then it’s off you go again for more game. I thought it was ending so why am I spending more time with someone else?

It’s like that scene in Austin Powers when that guy gets run over by the bulldozer and you get his backstory. But rather than just a snippet it’s another film that’s starting and you’ve got to acclimatise all over again and watch this before you can finally see the end of your original film.

And I’m not sure I need all these flashback either. One with Joel at the zoo was good. The one for the guitar strings? Not sure that was necessary. The big revelation about her dad? I’d figured that out in the opening twist. It didn’t need to make her dad out to be this really good guy - who gives a fuck at this stage!? All we needed to know was why and I think it was obvious anyway. It was probably obvious before the twist to be fair. Not that I’m complaining about the actual story since it’s fine and the execution was good, I just don’t know if we need more filler. I’d have finished the original game 5-7 hours ago and that was a perfectly told story with some great gameplay too. This has the gameplay still (assuming your like stabbing people, aren’t run and gunning on easier difficulties and aren’t cack handed) but actually I feel like I’m losing my patience now.

And this is from a guy who played Persona 5 for 120 hours. And has over 120 hours on Dark Souls. And 45 odd hours on Persona 4 only recently. So why am I annoyed that this story isn’t being wrapped up already? Maybe it’s because it gave me the impression we were going for the showdown and cut away to make us “feeeeeel”. If it wanted to do this flashback, I think it should have happened before the Sunken City. Somethings happened here with the pacing that just isn’t right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 17:05 
Bad Girl

Weirdly, just text my friend who’s also playing it and is at the same bit as me. He’s only playing it on hard though. He says he’s got 12 hours locked in and thought it felt like it was 2/3rds done.

So :/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I am also around the same place as you. I'm just going through the
fish zoo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bless you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Yes I figured I'd wait until both Grim... and Satsuma got to that stretch of the game, and also thought it might re-calibrate opinions somewhat.

I've already decided this one isn't for me, it's one for the 'take a pass' pile. I have no time for games that want to bludgeon me over the head with their (fucking obvious to anyone who isn't a psychopath to start with) 'message', and compromise themselves as stories and games in the process.

Plus everyone seems to agree the gameplay is, to a large extent, pretty much more of the same with some tweaks here and there, along with an artificially extended runtime that very much outstays its welcome and leads to genuine boredom on the home stretch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 
Bad Girl

Well I don’t know about all that, but it felt better after I took a break and sat down to play some more. And why am I complaining that there’s more game?! It’s AAA stuff and I love the gameplay. Resi 4 took me over 24 hours to complete it the first time and that’s just shooting zombies in the head. So once I’d settled in for more game I was enjoying it much better.

There’s some good sections here too.

I particularly liked the section where there’s one sniper who can see everything like he’s fucking Sauron. Then the descent through the next building that’s split down the middle. A lot of people got stabbed.

There’s a fabulously lit escape with two children that actually lasts a fair length of time, looks great and was quite difficult.

Oh and fucking up Big Bertha. “NO PLEAS-“ *SMACK* and you know Abbey has arms like a wrestler.

And the marooned boat. Man I loved that bit: it’s more of the same but the tilted boat was just a cool place to push through. The atmosphere was good too with the waves crashing outside. Y’know the atmosphere throughout this has always been fantastic.

And there’s new skill trees now. I’m shanking folks with shivs (anyone remember that Riddick game where that bloke just keeps repeating “wanna live, get a shiv”? That’s stuck with me for years. Anyone else?), creating dragons breath shotgun rounds and improvising pipebombs which I’ll never use because I always forget to use them.

That reminds me, I’ve only used a stun bomb once. When that guy is getting strung up when you first meet the scars. I was so incensed that I couldn’t save him that the guys who kill him were going to pay so I’d start the section by throwing a stun bomb into the middle of the pack and rush in and smack up the first 3 guys with a pipe before retreating into the foliage.

Or when that dog was after me and I left a IED for him and his handler in the bush. Man they got bodied and I got away clean.

You really do make your own fun with this. It’s a refinement of Manhunt gameplay really and I bloody love manhunt.

Yeah, I’m definitely not bored.

And I don’t know what “message” you’re referring to (but I haven’t finished it yet) but it’s most certainly not been trying to clobber me over the head with any wider message 20+ hours in. Unless it’s a sort of “violence leads to violence”, but that’s more the narrative than the message or “there’s two sides to every story” but that can lead to some interesting dynamics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 13:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, I'm loving it too.

The message is "women can be strong", and it's caused Naughty Dog some problems: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/06 ... ingly_ugly

Thing is, it's not bludgeoning anyone, the characters just happen to be female and capable of looking after themselves. Oh no! My precious penis! Somehow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 14:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
The message is "women can be strong", and it's caused Naughty Dog some problems: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/06 ... ingly_ugly

Thing is, it's not bludgeoning anyone, the characters just happen to be female and capable of looking after themselves. Oh no! My precious penis! Somehow.

I wasn't thinking in that direction. At all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 16:53 
Bad Girl

Skybridge is the new Tomb Raider radio mast. Just tremendously well done and impressive.

Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next