Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 11781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387 ... 393  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33462
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
"If you don't vote Labour the Tories will get in you monster"

That really makes me angry. It's a flat-out lie, it's anti-democratic, and it reeks of desperation.

Them and us politics. It's ride in the Labour stronghold of Merseyside

Edit: rife, not ride


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15916
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
See: that spreadsheet that went round before the election with "who to vote for to stop the tories"

Yeah, Labour are equally as unappealing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14538
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
"If you don't vote Labour the Tories will get in you monster"

That really makes me angry. It's a flat-out lie, it's anti-democratic, and it reeks of desperation.

I can't think of a single time that an opposition party hasn't campaigned at least in part by attacking the government. And vice versa. Because that's really all you're describing here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63933
Location: Your Mum
It's nothing to do with the sitting government. It's to do with "Yeah, you're not voting X, but unless you vote Y you might as well be voting for X." which isn't true, and isn't how democracy should be.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 50487
Location: Nottingham
Grim... wrote:
It's nothing to do with the sitting government. It's to do with "Yeah, you're not voting X, but unless you vote Y you might as well be voting for X." which isn't true, and isn't how democracy should be.

Blame FPTP. If we had PR people could vote for who they wanted without worrying about tactical voting.

As it stands, I can see why people would vote for the candidate and party that would keep X out. It's making the best of a broken system.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:08 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14538
Yeah, but even with PR then you could still say that you had to vote for the "least worst" option if you decided to frame it in negative terms. If someone is "only voting X to keep Y out" then that surely means that there is something about X's policies that they prefer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 50487
Location: Nottingham
markg wrote:
Yeah, but even with PR then you could still say that you had to vote for the "least worst" option if you decided to frame it in negative terms. If someone is "only voting X to keep Y out" then that surely means that there is something about X's policies that they prefer.

Yeah, I was more thinking of voting X, Y or Z to keep A out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46425
markg wrote:
Yeah, but even with PR then you could still say that you had to vote for the "least worst" option if you decided to frame it in negative terms. If someone is "only voting X to keep Y out" then that surely means that there is something about X's policies that they prefer.


Sure, you do prefer X to Y, but you prefer Z to both, only the very idea of voting for Z is couched as a vote for Y.

Basically everyone vote lib dem.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 16:35 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 26307
Location: Kidbrooke
Cras wrote:
markg wrote:
Yeah, but even with PR then you could still say that you had to vote for the "least worst" option if you decided to frame it in negative terms. If someone is "only voting X to keep Y out" then that surely means that there is something about X's policies that they prefer.


Sure, you do prefer X to Y, but you prefer Z to both, only the very idea of voting for Z is couched as a vote for Y.


Indeed. Stupid FPTP.

That said, if you’re not actively switching your vote away from X or Y, you shouldn’t be able to be accused of actively helping either to win, since you’re not taking anything away from either.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 17:38 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
Curiosity wrote:
Indeed. Stupid FPTP.


Still, at least our soldiers got those incubators they needed rather than a slightly-better voting system back in 2011.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 17:54 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
In other news, top shark hater Mr DJ Trump might come to the UK later in the year. You can write your own President's Club joke, before the Now Show does it anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 18:04 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
Kern wrote:
In other news, top shark hater Mr DJ Trump might come to the UK later in the year. You can write your own President's Club joke, before the Now Show does it anyway.


Stairs - everywhere he goes needs to have lots of stairs. And pictures of sharks.

Also it's The News Quiz at the moment so we don't have to suffer the shitty Now Show comparison gag.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:17 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10195
Location: Sunny Stoke
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/ ... 8777976832




I wish some of the other folk in there would be as quick to resign. Although it does rather look like making any excuse to get the hell out of there.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 20:38 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
devilman wrote:
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/958729818777976832

I wish some of the other folk in there would be as quick to resign. Although it does rather look like making any excuse to get the hell out of there.


Wow! A minister resigning on a point of honour! Fantastic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 21:35 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 2901
Location: , Location, Location.
Michael Gove praised overworked Defra staff – then ranted to the cabinet about them. . Bit of a twattish thing to do, but not surprising.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
Train news now. Virgin East Coast (which is only 10% Branson and 90% Stagecoach) has lost its franchise after overbidding and running up losses of over £200 million. Reading the statement it suggests the government are open to returning to having a public operator on the line but I wouldn't be surprised if their 'assessment' rules this out.

Mr Speaker was in a catty mood:

Quote:
Order. Just before the Secretary of State responds to the shadow Secretary of State, I must say to the hon. Member for Kingston upon Hull East (Karl Turner), who, in his usual fashion, yelled, “It’s a disgrace,” from a sedentary position, that this morning I conducted my weekly Skype session with school students from the Education Centre. They were students of the Herne Bay primary school, one of whom asked me, “Mr Speaker, is there a Member who is particularly cheeky in terms of loud and repeated heckling?” I said, “Well, seeing as you ask, there is a chap called Karl Turner, who is a very agreeable fellow, but he does tend to go from nought to 60 in about five seconds.” I proceeded to educate the pupils of that primary school class in the favoured expressions of the hon. Gentleman—“Shocking” and “It’s a disgrace”—and his ritual exhortation, which fortunately I have not heard today to a Minister, to wit “be’ave”, which he makes while conspicuously failing to do so himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43519
Location: West Yorkshire
Kern wrote:
Train news now. Virgin East Coast (which is only 10% Branson and 90% Stagecoach) has lost its franchise after overbidding and running up losses of over £200 million. Reading the statement it suggests the government are open to returning to having a public operator on the line but I wouldn't be surprised if their 'assessment' rules this out.

Mr Speaker was in a catty mood:

Quote:
Order. Just before the Secretary of State responds to the shadow Secretary of State, I must say to the hon. Member for Kingston upon Hull East (Karl Turner), who, in his usual fashion, yelled, “It’s a disgrace,” from a sedentary position, that this morning I conducted my weekly Skype session with school students from the Education Centre. They were students of the Herne Bay primary school, one of whom asked me, “Mr Speaker, is there a Member who is particularly cheeky in terms of loud and repeated heckling?” I said, “Well, seeing as you ask, there is a chap called Karl Turner, who is a very agreeable fellow, but he does tend to go from nought to 60 in about five seconds.” I proceeded to educate the pupils of that primary school class in the favoured expressions of the hon. Gentleman—“Shocking” and “It’s a disgrace”—and his ritual exhortation, which fortunately I have not heard today to a Minister, to wit “be’ave”, which he makes while conspicuously failing to do so himself.


Brilliant. Bercow. I am undecided on trains.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43519
Location: West Yorkshire
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Does smack a bit of nimbyness though. It's got to be somewhere.


It's more fitting in a shittier village though, where house prices are already low.


Basically, yes

Lovely.


At what loint should one stop tolerating aggressive begging and discarded needles?


Walking down the road last night and boke came up to me last night and wanted money so I told him I didn't have any change and he told me to "Piss off" then followed me for a bit. Long story short, I've asked local police and counciller what the plan is to deal with such aggressive begging.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46425
Did you say "I literally am pissing off. Watch me walking away"

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 16:33 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43519
Location: West Yorkshire
Nah. Discretion is the better part of valour. Followed by emails.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43519
Location: West Yorkshire
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Remember this sign from a while back? No?
Well, to refresh:

Parking behind the CoOp was 20 mins free. Then signs and ANPR appeared, and you had to type car reg in to get 20 free minutes. Many didn't, and were fined as per T&Cs.

Anyhoo, I dropped a note to local counciller and local MP over the signs not being terribly clear. Counciller responded and he had passed it over to MP. So, MP raises the issue in Parliament, and sends me half a dozen letters with copies of his correspondance with the council solicitors, parking ombudsman and other people.

Today, in the local paper reports:
Quote:
THE operator of a controversial car park has been ordered to shut it down and refund thousands of pounds in fines slapped on unsuspecting motorists.

Bradford Council took the dramatic step after receiving a host of complaints about the way private car park company Smart Parking was running the site at Oastler Road, Saltaire.

The authority was able to step in after discovering that the patch of land had never legally been turned into a car park and was still part of the public highway.

But in doing so, the Council has also had to hold its hands up to running the car park illegally itself for more than a decade, and now faces a major refund programme of its own.


http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... ial_fines/

Which is amazing. And has amused me.

So, I think P Davies will do OK in an election, again, as he's shown himself to be looking after community interests, especially as the council is a Labour run one and fingers can be pointed.

EXCITING CAR PARK UPDATE


http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _launched/



Quote:
Cllr Alex Ross-Shaw, the Council’s executive member for regeneration, planning and transport, said: “We have started negotiations with the company, Saltaire Investments, and we are helping them to clarify the highway status of the land.

“As the car park is still operating illegally, we have also served a notice on the company to remove the car parking equipment from the site.


Not sure if I'm meant to type car reg in anymore or not, but it looks like a proper car park still.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _car_park/

Further plot twist!

Quote:
THE operators of a controversial car park which was ordered to shut down appear to be fighting back.

Private car park company Smart Parking has drawn anger from motorists over the way it has been handing out fines at Oastler Road car park in Saltaire.

The furore prompted Bradford Council to declare the site unlawful and serve a notice ordering the car park to close by November 24.

But in an apparent act of defiance against this notice, the company has now lodged a retrospective planning application for its parking signs, in a move one councillor branded “hilarious”.


Amazing.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/N ... _car_park/

Further developments in the Oastler Road Car Park fiasco


Planning permission has been applied for to turn the road into a car park. There are objections. WHERE WILL IT ALL END?

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43519
Location: West Yorkshire
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -on-sexism

"Fewer". Ffs

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
Just had a district election flyer through my door for the district elections in May. I didn't think my ward was participating this year so I'm now a little excited about this and getting to go to the polling booth again. Unexpected election!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
I can ask them about bins!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 13:01 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43519
Location: West Yorkshire
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Does smack a bit of nimbyness though. It's got to be somewhere.


It's more fitting in a shittier village though, where house prices are already low.


Basically, yes

Lovely.


At what loint should one stop tolerating aggressive begging and discarded needles?


Walking down the road last night and boke came up to me last night and wanted money so I told him I didn't have any change and he told me to "Piss off" then followed me for a bit. Long story short, I've asked local police and counciller what the plan is to deal with such aggressive begging.


I had a chat with the policeman dude and he thinks he knows who it is and they're working towards criminal asbos and the like. It remains a discussion point as to what help the state and private citizens should provide.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43519
Location: West Yorkshire
Labour bereft of ideas and decide you should report running over a cat in attempt to patch disastrous brexit stance.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 16:21 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 30567
https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/stat ... 4863606785




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
I was going to give Donald Trump just a tiny bit of credit for at least mentioning banning bump stocks some form of gun regulation in the US, but then he went and spoiled it all by going on about arming teachers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33462
I know they think that arming teachers makes sense, and in some twisted way it does seem like a workable solution to an impossible problem, but how the fuck is putting live ammunition in a fucking classroom even being considered?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13109
Location: Oxford
DavPaz wrote:
I know they think that arming teachers makes sense, and in some twisted way it does seem like a workable solution to an impossible problem, but how the fuck is putting live ammunition in a fucking classroom even being considered?


It also completely ignores the fact that you'd have to train really hard to get an accurate shot at the shooter without causing one heck of a lot of collateral damage.

Mr Trump, as ever, has already spoken about this:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 3002894337




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 11781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387 ... 393  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Columbo, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.