Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 17:54 

In other news, top shark hater Mr DJ Trump might come to the UK later in the year. You can write your own President's Club joke, before the Now Show does it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 18:04 
EvilTrousers

Kern wrote:
In other news, top shark hater Mr DJ Trump might come to the UK later in the year. You can write your own President's Club joke, before the Now Show does it anyway.

Stairs - everywhere he goes needs to have lots of stairs. And pictures of sharks.

Also it's The News Quiz at the moment so we don't have to suffer the shitty Now Show comparison gag.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 17:17 
Comfortably Dumb

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/ ... 8777976832

I wish some of the other folk in there would be as quick to resign. Although it does rather look like making any excuse to get the hell out of there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 20:38 

devilman wrote:
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/958729818777976832

I wish some of the other folk in there would be as quick to resign. Although it does rather look like making any excuse to get the hell out of there.

Wow! A minister resigning on a point of honour! Fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 21:35 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Michael Gove praised overworked Defra staff – then ranted to the cabinet about them. . Bit of a twattish thing to do, but not surprising.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 

Train news now. Virgin East Coast (which is only 10% Branson and 90% Stagecoach) has lost its franchise after overbidding and running up losses of over £200 million. Reading the statement it suggests the government are open to returning to having a public operator on the line but I wouldn't be surprised if their 'assessment' rules this out.

Mr Speaker was in a catty mood:

Quote:
Order. Just before the Secretary of State responds to the shadow Secretary of State, I must say to the hon. Member for Kingston upon Hull East (Karl Turner), who, in his usual fashion, yelled, “It’s a disgrace,” from a sedentary position, that this morning I conducted my weekly Skype session with school students from the Education Centre. They were students of the Herne Bay primary school, one of whom asked me, “Mr Speaker, is there a Member who is particularly cheeky in terms of loud and repeated heckling?” I said, “Well, seeing as you ask, there is a chap called Karl Turner, who is a very agreeable fellow, but he does tend to go from nought to 60 in about five seconds.” I proceeded to educate the pupils of that primary school class in the favoured expressions of the hon. Gentleman—“Shocking” and “It’s a disgrace”—and his ritual exhortation, which fortunately I have not heard today to a Minister, to wit “be’ave”, which he makes while conspicuously failing to do so himself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Train news now. Virgin East Coast (which is only 10% Branson and 90% Stagecoach) has lost its franchise after overbidding and running up losses of over £200 million. Reading the statement it suggests the government are open to returning to having a public operator on the line but I wouldn't be surprised if their 'assessment' rules this out.

Mr Speaker was in a catty mood:

Quote:
Order. Just before the Secretary of State responds to the shadow Secretary of State, I must say to the hon. Member for Kingston upon Hull East (Karl Turner), who, in his usual fashion, yelled, “It’s a disgrace,” from a sedentary position, that this morning I conducted my weekly Skype session with school students from the Education Centre. They were students of the Herne Bay primary school, one of whom asked me, “Mr Speaker, is there a Member who is particularly cheeky in terms of loud and repeated heckling?” I said, “Well, seeing as you ask, there is a chap called Karl Turner, who is a very agreeable fellow, but he does tend to go from nought to 60 in about five seconds.” I proceeded to educate the pupils of that primary school class in the favoured expressions of the hon. Gentleman—“Shocking” and “It’s a disgrace”—and his ritual exhortation, which fortunately I have not heard today to a Minister, to wit “be’ave”, which he makes while conspicuously failing to do so himself.

Brilliant. Bercow. I am undecided on trains.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Does smack a bit of nimbyness though. It's got to be somewhere.

It's more fitting in a shittier village though, where house prices are already low.

Basically, yes

Lovely.

At what loint should one stop tolerating aggressive begging and discarded needles?

Walking down the road last night and boke came up to me last night and wanted money so I told him I didn't have any change and he told me to "Piss off" then followed me for a bit. Long story short, I've asked local police and counciller what the plan is to deal with such aggressive begging.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Did you say "I literally am pissing off. Watch me walking away"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 16:33 
Gogmagog

Nah. Discretion is the better part of valour. Followed by emails.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:29 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Remember this sign from a while back? No?
Well, to refresh:

Parking behind the CoOp was 20 mins free. Then signs and ANPR appeared, and you had to type car reg in to get 20 free minutes. Many didn't, and were fined as per T&Cs.

Anyhoo, I dropped a note to local counciller and local MP over the signs not being terribly clear. Counciller responded and he had passed it over to MP. So, MP raises the issue in Parliament, and sends me half a dozen letters with copies of his correspondance with the council solicitors, parking ombudsman and other people.

Today, in the local paper reports:
Quote:
THE operator of a controversial car park has been ordered to shut it down and refund thousands of pounds in fines slapped on unsuspecting motorists.

Bradford Council took the dramatic step after receiving a host of complaints about the way private car park company Smart Parking was running the site at Oastler Road, Saltaire.

The authority was able to step in after discovering that the patch of land had never legally been turned into a car park and was still part of the public highway.

But in doing so, the Council has also had to hold its hands up to running the car park illegally itself for more than a decade, and now faces a major refund programme of its own.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... ial_fines/

Which is amazing. And has amused me.

So, I think P Davies will do OK in an election, again, as he's shown himself to be looking after community interests, especially as the council is a Labour run one and fingers can be pointed.

EXCITING CAR PARK UPDATE

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _launched/

Quote:
Cllr Alex Ross-Shaw, the Council’s executive member for regeneration, planning and transport, said: “We have started negotiations with the company, Saltaire Investments, and we are helping them to clarify the highway status of the land.

“As the car park is still operating illegally, we have also served a notice on the company to remove the car parking equipment from the site.

Not sure if I'm meant to type car reg in anymore or not, but it looks like a proper car park still.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _car_park/

Further plot twist!

Quote:
THE operators of a controversial car park which was ordered to shut down appear to be fighting back.

Private car park company Smart Parking has drawn anger from motorists over the way it has been handing out fines at Oastler Road car park in Saltaire.

The furore prompted Bradford Council to declare the site unlawful and serve a notice ordering the car park to close by November 24.

But in an apparent act of defiance against this notice, the company has now lodged a retrospective planning application for its parking signs, in a move one councillor branded “hilarious”.

Amazing.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/N ... _car_park/

Further developments in the Oastler Road Car Park fiasco

Planning permission has been applied for to turn the road into a car park. There are objections. WHERE WILL IT ALL END?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 
Gogmagog

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -on-sexism

"Fewer". Ffs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 

Just had a district election flyer through my door for the district elections in May. I didn't think my ward was participating this year so I'm now a little excited about this and getting to go to the polling booth again. Unexpected election!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 

I can ask them about bins!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 13:01 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Does smack a bit of nimbyness though. It's got to be somewhere.

It's more fitting in a shittier village though, where house prices are already low.

Basically, yes

Lovely.

At what loint should one stop tolerating aggressive begging and discarded needles?

Walking down the road last night and boke came up to me last night and wanted money so I told him I didn't have any change and he told me to "Piss off" then followed me for a bit. Long story short, I've asked local police and counciller what the plan is to deal with such aggressive begging.

I had a chat with the policeman dude and he thinks he knows who it is and they're working towards criminal asbos and the like. It remains a discussion point as to what help the state and private citizens should provide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:20 
Gogmagog

Labour bereft of ideas and decide you should report running over a cat in attempt to patch disastrous brexit stance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 16:21 

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/stat ... 4863606785

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 

I was going to give Donald Trump just a tiny bit of credit for at least mentioning banning bump stocks some form of gun regulation in the US, but then he went and spoiled it all by going on about arming teachers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 
Unpossible!

I know they think that arming teachers makes sense, and in some twisted way it does seem like a workable solution to an impossible problem, but how the fuck is putting live ammunition in a fucking classroom even being considered?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:28 

DavPaz wrote:
I know they think that arming teachers makes sense, and in some twisted way it does seem like a workable solution to an impossible problem, but how the fuck is putting live ammunition in a fucking classroom even being considered?

It also completely ignores the fact that you'd have to train really hard to get an accurate shot at the shooter without causing one heck of a lot of collateral damage.

Mr Trump, as ever, has already spoken about this:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 3002894337

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 
Rude Belittler

His 'solutions' are the sort a five-year old would come up with. We don't want Mexicans crossing the border, build a big wall! As long as they don't realise planes exist, we're golden!

Bad guys shooting up schools? Arm teachers! Because more guns are better! Then someone reports an active shooter situation and a SWAT team shows up and ends up blowing away a bunch of teachers because they have no way of telling who the shooter is, apart from "he's holding a gun". Not to mention collateral damage, teachers shooting each other or kids accidentally.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 
Paws for thought

You're a teacher, now potentially freshly armed due to American stupidity. Congratulations, you're now the first target for a shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
We don't want Mexicans crossing the border, build a big wall! As long as they don't realise planes exist, we're golden!

The wall's a stupid idea, but I don't think the stupid has anything to do with planes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 
Excellent Member

Anyone who's studying to be a teacher is going to have disciplines on the university about using guns?

Nice man Obama made me forget my anti-americanism for 8 years. Now it came back in full force.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 
Excellent Painter

Mr Dave wrote:
You're a teacher, now potentially freshly armed due to American stupidity. Congratulations, you're now the first target for a shooter.

Also, if you have anything less than a semi-auto assault rifle, like ALL of the high school shooters recently, it'll be a pointless exercise. It's actually very hard to hit anything with a pistol if it's more than 30-40 feet away.

Truly cretinous reasoning in defence of gun ownership.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 
Excellent Member

DBSnappa wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Also, if you have anything less than a semi-auto assault rifle, like ALL of the high school shooters recently, it'll be a pointless exercise. It's actually very hard to hit anything with a pistol if it's more than 30-40 feet away.

Truly cretinous reasoning in defence of gun ownership.

In the late 80's, after the first school shooting with an assault rifle, George Bush Sr. tried to pass on congress a law to ban assault rifle sales to civilians. Ex-president Ronald Reagan gave his support.

Yes, this is true.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:23 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Also, someone could probably work out the Number of teachers * hours spent in classrooms per year * accidental discharge rate for non-expert gun users and see how many teachers will end up shooting their pupils.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:25 
Excellent Member

Squirt wrote:
Also, someone could probably work out the Number of teachers * hours spent in classrooms per year * accidental discharge rate for non-expert gun users and see how many teachers will end up shooting their pupils.

I was a 5th grade math teacher for a year in 2009/2010. I'm sure i wanted to shoot many of the students on more that one occasion.

I was replacing one teacher that was on a medical leave due to severe depression. This idea can only end well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Squirt wrote:

Not forgetting that these teachers will be given training to actively shoot at their pupils.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Not forgetting that these teachers will be given training to actively shoot at their pupils.

I would imagine there's quite a psychological barrier that needs to be overcome to shoot a kid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 
Gogmagog

I was thinking, yesterday, about Trump and Fox & Friends. I don't think we can be too snobby over it when our politicians court Mumsnet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 

MaliA wrote:
I was thinking, yesterday, about Trump and Fox & Friends. I don't think we can be too snobby over it when our politicians court Mumsnet.

I don't think Mrs May spends the first couple of hours of each day reading through it. Andrea Leadsome, probably, but not the prime minister. It's more a case of the President of the United States, with access to all material produced by the biggest set of intelligence bodies in the world, deciding to watch daytime television.

I bet he hasn't even asked about the Kennedy stuff yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:24 

MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:
Squirt wrote:

I would imagine there's quite a psychological barrier that needs to be overcome to shoot a kid.

I'm not a violent person but I think that if I was holding a gun and some kid was trying to shoot some other kids then I would be able to try and shoot them. I'm sure that I would feel terrible about it afterwards but yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 

I've seen a number of former military or police firearms instructors give the idea of arming teachers an absolute shoeing on Twitter. This is a pretty good example:

https://twitter.com/KoolMoeSteve/status ... 7625972736

(that's a thread, click through for more)

There's also this stat:

https://twitter.com/VARGHANC/status/966622415680917504

The idea of multiple armed teachers plugging away at a school shooter with a hit rate of less than 50% ought to give anyone pause for thought. Or are we going to give teachers superior firearms training to that received by armed police?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 
Excellent Member

Yet, going into such detail on why it's a bad idea, such as giving accuracy rates of policemen, might give the impression that that at some point it could have seemed like a good idea. It's absolutely sheer lunacy and it speaks volumes on how we ended up here at this point.

But is there no one in the republican party that isn't a lobby puppet and is a functioning human being with conscience and empathy? What has John McCain said about this issue?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 13:19 
Bad Girl

RuySan wrote:
What has John McCain said about this issue?

Yippie ki aye, muthafucker?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 13:24 
Gogmagog

Satsuma wrote:
RuySan wrote:

Yippie ki aye, muthafucker?

Love you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 13:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

RuySan wrote:

Sadly, despite being somewhat centrist on many other issues, McCain has taken the most funding from the NRA of anyone in the Senate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 13:55 

Playing Devil's Advocate, I'm not sure you can judge the police on their accuracy rate. I'd be interested to see similar statistics for UK armed police - although I guess it would have to be over more than one year as our "fire rates" are so much lower, and I don't know if shots with handguns are tracked separately, as AFOs are more likely to be using rifles than handguns, and therefore be more accurate almost by default.

Even with advanced training, it can be incredibly difficult to hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun. They're just not that accurate IMO. Add a high pressure situation and an adrenaline rush into the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 14:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That can't be right. The president of the US just said "ATTACKS WOULD END".

I'm not convinced that the shooting skills of teachers is even in the top ten of problems with this plan. If there was some way to magically place a gun into the hands of every innocent person at the scene when some gun nut decided to have a fucking malfunction then it might very well lead to fewer deaths. And this is how the gun lobby frame the debate. Completely ignoring all the other deaths that are obviously going to occur at all those other times if they were to put handguns in classrooms.

Paws for thought

RuySan wrote:

"I'm getting medical treatment", in as much as he's not been available due to medical treatment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 14:45 
UltraMod

GazChap wrote:
Playing Devil's Advocate, I'm not sure you can judge the police on their accuracy rate. I'd be interested to see similar statistics for UK armed police - although I guess it would have to be over more than one year as our "fire rates" are so much lower, and I don't know if shots with handguns are tracked separately, as AFOs are more likely to be using rifles than handguns, and therefore be more accurate almost by default.

Even with advanced training, it can be incredibly difficult to hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun. They're just not that accurate IMO. Add a high pressure situation and an adrenaline rush into the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

That's not playing devil's advocate, it's actually something worth thinking about rather than being contrary for the sake of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 15:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Devil's Advocate doesn't mean being contrary for the sake of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 15:26 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:

For the sake of debate then. I assume Gaz actually believes what he has said though, which means it's not devil's advocate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 15:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:

For the sake of debate then. I assume Gaz actually believes what he has said though, which means it's not devil's advocate.

Devil's advocate typically means "these people are in the wrong here, but there are valid points that they are raising, allow me to discuss them"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 16:08 
Hello Hello Hello

It means Al Pacino chewing the scenery with admirable ferocity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 16:22 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Cras wrote:

Devil's advocate typically means "these people are in the wrong here, but there are valid points that they are raising, allow me to discuss them"

If you say so!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 16:29 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Whereas Devilled Advocaat is something else entirely, and potentially delicious.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 16:30 
Excellent Member

Squirt wrote:
Whereas Devilled Advocaat is something else entirely, and potentially delicious.

You find this man delicious?

Reply to topic  [ 14340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 287  Next