Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

#titlegore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
Perhaps they're doing us a favour and colouring in another space in the constitution.

I can't think of a politician I'd credit with sufficient long-term thinking to take the sacrifice of losing a court case for that. But perhaps I am too cynical.

I think it is seen as "rules guidance', rather than losng a case. At least, that is how I would present it. "Wanted guidance to make sure we do it right first time"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
Perhaps they're doing us a favour and colouring in another space in the constitution.

I can't think of a politician I'd credit with sufficient long-term thinking to take the sacrifice of losing a court case for that. But perhaps I am too cynical.

I think it is seen as "rules guidance', rather than losng a case. At least, that is how I would present it. "Wanted guidance to make sure we do it right first time"

Yeah, but they didn't play it as that when they appealed the high court ruling. Too late for it to be anything but a foolishly gambled, wasteful defeat at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:53 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:

Yeah, but they didn't play it as that when they appealed the high court ruling. Too late for it to be anything but a foolishly gambled, wasteful defeat at this point.

Nah, I think they needed to run it through the Supreme Court to shore up barricades against any future attacks on the process. I don't think it is a massive loss.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:56 

Apparently there's an interesting plot twist in the judgement where the Court rules that the devolved assemblies don't have a say in the legislation. I need to read more on this but that's going to bring joy to the governing party in Holyrood for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:01 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Kern wrote:
Apparently there's an interesting plot twist in the judgement where the Court rules that the devolved assemblies don't have a say in the legislation. I need to read more on this but that's going to bring joy to the governing party in Holyrood for sure.

Stu's post on it

http://wingsoverscotland.com/fooled-you-again/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:03 

zaphod79 wrote:
Kern wrote:

Stu's post on it

http://wingsoverscotland.com/fooled-you-again/

Who?

But, this bit amused me:

Someone wrote:
We look forward to Scotland’s lily-livered columnists explaining to us how “federalism” is still a viable alternative to independence, any minute now.

Because in a federation, it'd be written into the constitution or compact.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:

Nah, I think they needed to run it through the Supreme Court to shore up barricades against any future attacks on the process. I don't think it is a massive loss.

It's a huge loss of face for May, given her assurances that the government would win the appeal. She's not a big fan of losing face.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:28 

Still, at least Labour are going to use this opportunity to play Parliamentary games, further embarrass the Prime Minister, push the knife into the administration, and perhaps do the right thing for the country.

*looks at Mr Corbyn's Twitter feed*

Oh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 
Gogmagog

He"s terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:41 

Hmm... looks like Sir Keir Starmer is addressing the local Labour party in February. Shame I'm both away that night, and not a member.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:52 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Hmm... looks like Sir Keir Starmer is addressing the local Labour party in February. Shame I'm both away that night, and not a member.

BAME Labour is a fiver for 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:57 

I'm not sure if I'm senior enough to be prohibited from political activity but it wouldn't mix well. Also, their most recent parliamentary candidate and bright young thing is the spitting image of my ex which would be a little awkward if distributing flyers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 13:13 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 40986.html

Quote:
One of the most high profile names in finance has said that Brexit is going to lead to dramatic economic upheaval which will be bad for most people but good for his multi billion-pound private equity firm.

Guy Hands, chairman of Terra Firma, one of Europe's largest private equity groups, warned that the country will have to get rid of much of its social safety net and may see a 30 per cent decline in wages in real terms in the next 20 years to enable it to compete outside of Europe.

Debt will command higher interest rates as more risk is ascribed to an independent UK, and immigrants from Europe will be replaced with workers from the Indian subcontinent and Africa, who may be willing to accept “substantially” lower pay, he said.

Still, ultimately, the exit will be a good thing for the economy, Hands said.

“The slightly sad thing is the people who voted for Brexit aren’t the people who are going to have to make these sacrifices,” Hands said. “That’s not unusual for big, political decisions when people don’t fully analyse what the economic consequences are.”

Prime Minister Theresa May said this month that the country would leave the European Union’s single market, pursuing a so-called hard Brexit and severing the bloc’s influence over the UK’s immigration and laws. She’s aiming to preserve tariff-free trade between Britain and the continent while securing the liberty to make new deals with other countries.

Brexit will also present opportunities for buyout funds, Hands said. As interest rates go up, some businesses will go bankrupt, leading to buying opportunities, he said.

“Sadly, and this is always one of the strange things about business, I think it’s probably a bad thing for the majority of people and bad for the country, but I think, for my business, it’s probably going to be good,” he said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 13:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That says that he thinks it'll be a good thing for the economy, then later directly quotes him as saying bad for the country but good for his company.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 13:27 

Cras wrote:
That says that he thinks it'll be a good thing for the economy, then later directly quotes him as saying bad for the country but good for his company.

Good point, I suspect it's a poor transcription (I saw a snippet of the interview last week, but didn't watch it all.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 14:57 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Quote:
he slightly sad thing is the people who voted for Brexit aren’t the people who are going to have to make these sacrifices,

arent??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 16:58 
Soopah red DS

That is - if they're old and are likely to off it soon. Or they have big enough incomes even in retirement to pay for whatever services are withdrawn/cut down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:27 
Gogmagog

Shami Chakrabati has disappointed me greatly this morning, taking the Labour party line on supporting A50.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:29 

Well, the bits around Uttoxeter do need work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:30 

MaliA wrote:
Shami Chakrabati has disappointed me greatly this morning, taking the Labour party line on supporting A50.

She's not been the same since she became a peer. Much of her firery support for unpopular things like civil liberties and human rights seems to have been extinguished by the ermine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:32 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
MaliA wrote:

She's not been the same since she became a peer. Much of her firery support for unpopular things like civil liberties and human rights seems to have been extinguished by the ermine.

Yes, I was thinking much the same, this morning, listening to her.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:40 
INFINITE POWAH

Funnily enough, so was I. I used to be a very big fan of hers, and it was always a pleasure listening to her arguing the toss on Today, but this morning she was just another Corbynite drone politician.

A real shame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:40 
Beloved member

MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yes, I was thinking much the same, this morning, listening to her.

The unprincipled bitch even happily joined in with Caroline Flint's EU migrant bashing on Newsnight the other week.

Labour really are doing a Coalition LibDems over this aren't they? Total capitulation to the Tories.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hero of Excellence wrote:
The unprincipled bitch even happily joined in with Caroline Flint's EU migrant bashing on Newsnight the other week.

Lots of Labour's traditional voters still think people are coming over here to steal all their jobs, though. Or so Labour think, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Hero of Excellence wrote:

Lots of Labour's traditional voters still think people are coming over here to steal all their jobs, though. Or so Labour think, anyway.

I heard someone from Labour say today that 2/3rds of their constituents voted to leave.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 

Satsuma wrote:
I heard someone from Labour say today that 2/3rds of their constituents voted to leave.

2/3rds of Labour constituencies were majority leave, but 2/3rds of Labour voters want to remain. It's as perfect an example of being fucked by electoral mathematics as you can possibly imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

2/3rds of Labour constituencies were majority leave, but 2/3rds of Labour voters want to remain. It's as perfect an example of being fucked by electoral mathematics as you can possibly imagine.

2/3rds of 2015 GE Labour voters you mean.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 

Aye, true.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Let's not forget once again of course that traditional labour is not progressive, it's protectionist. A party of two halves is always going to struggle to represent its voters especially on this issue which directly brings the 'modern, progressive Labour' into conflict with 'traditional, protectionist, unionist Labour'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 13:37 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:
Let's not forget once again of course that traditional labour is not progressive, it's protectionist. A party of two halves is always going to struggle to represent its voters especially on this issue which directly brings the 'modern, progressive Labour' into conflict with 'traditional, protectionist, unionist Labour'

It's a good job they have a leader who can adequately represent both sides whilst remaining savvy of the media.

Oh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 13:39 
Comfortably Dumb

Curiosity wrote:
Cras wrote:

It's a good job they have a leader who can adequately represent both sides whilst remaining savvy of the media.

Oh.

He can't even get the easy stuff right

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:21 

Ooo... we're going to get a white paper. Would have been useful to have had one before referendum day, but at least it's something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:36 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Ooo... we're going to get a white paper. Would have been useful to have had one before referendum day, but at least it's something.

Cool move, by accounts. Might watch highlights tonight.

I just tweeted Nicky Morgan to tell her she's doing a better job than Labour at keeping Brexit debacle in check.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:47 

Interesting point from the FT (in 2014.) I didn't know this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:49 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yikes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:50 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

surely this comes a surprise to no one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

R4 was talking about chickens washed in chlorine in the US. The impression I got was the Secessionist Trumptonian Republic has much lower food safety standards compared to EU.

Also, the price of beer will go up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:53 

Bobbyaro wrote:
surely this comes a surprise to no one

The specifics of the details of how the GM food angle is used to protect / divide markets, I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:55 

MaliA wrote:
R4 was talking about chickens washed in chlorine in the US. The impression I got was the Secessionist Trumptonian Republic has much lower food safety standards compared to EU.

"Less regulation at the possible cost of consumer safety" is a blanket rule of thumb for all US industry when comparing to the EU, I suspect. I can't recall any examples that go the other way around. (Topical example: the latest Mustang just got a woeful two stars in the EU passenger safety crash tests, but it did fine in the US equivalent crash tests.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:10 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38749884

Two telling quotes from Trump's rumoured nomination for the US's ambassador to the EU:

Quote:
The man tipped to be Donald Trump's ambassador to the European Union has told the BBC the single currency "could collapse" in the next 18 months. Professor Ted Malloch said he would "short the euro" - taking a market position which bets on the value of the currency falling.
He may be right, here. I wonder he's put his money where his mouth is. I'd like some journalist to ask him that.

Quote:
The possibility of an early trade deal with America, once the UK has left the EU, will be on the agenda.

"I remind people that the largest merger and acquisition deals in history are often done in about that time frame [90 days]," Mr Malloch, a professor at Henley Business School, said. "Some of us who have worked on Wall Street or in the City know that if you get the right people in the right room with the right data and the right energy, and Trump is certainly high energy, you can get things done. "I think this will cut out the bureaucrats in effect and it won't take two years, it won't take seven years to actually come to an agreement."

He added: "Obviously there are things to iron out, certainly there are differences and compromises to make, but it can be done. "So, there won't be a deal signed in the White House on Friday, but there could be an agreement for a framework going forward where people are empowered to have that kind of conversation behind closed doors and it could take as little as 90 days.

"That is very positive and it sends a signal that the United States is behind Great Britain in its hour of need."
There's obviously this perception that Trump smells that the UK is weak and will get his team to corner us into a weak deal, and I think there's some truth to that -- both that we are weak, and that Trump's the kind of leader who would exploit that pretty mercilessly. And that last line is ominous.

Also, I think his cocksure predictions that we can set up a framework agreement in 90 days, and we can do that before leaving the EU, will prove to be false. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:19 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

"Less regulation at the possible cost of consumer safety" is a blanket rule of thumb for all US industry when comparing to the EU, I suspect. I can't recall any examples that go the other way around. (Topical example: the latest Mustang just got a woeful two stars in the EU passenger safety crash tests, but it did fine in the US equivalent crash tests.)

You wouldn't get that in a £95k Porsche.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:19 

The Commons will debate the Article 50 bill next week. I can't help feeling that this might be like that vote on Iraq many years ago now and in years to come many MPs will rue the day they tramped through the lobby.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:22 

Lonewolves wrote:
You wouldn't get that in a £95k Porsche.

Dry your eyes, you seething ball of resentment and jealousy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:30 
SavyGamer

Remember when most farming based local economies voted in favour of Brexit for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:44 
Gogmagog

Corbyn going with the 3 line whip.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:50 

MaliA wrote:

My irony-o-metre just exploded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:52 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

My irony-o-metre just exploded.

Not irony. But yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 13:57 

Lonewolves wrote:
Not irony.
It's like raaaa--iiin on your wedding day

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 14:01 
Beloved member

Corbyn will go down in history as Labour's worst leader, or final leader.

Fuck anyone on the Left who is still defending the creep.

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 131  Next