Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4 confirmed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

So Playstation VR is October this year , $399 / £349

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/15/play ... er-for-349

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:05 
Excellent Member

Are Move controllers required for PS VR? There seems to be no mention of them during any of the articles I've read which I find a bit weird because if they're required, or even encouraged, that's another cost that needs to be factored in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 
SavyGamer

Bamba wrote:
Are Move controllers required for PS VR? There seems to be no mention of them during any of the articles I've read which I find a bit weird because if they're required, or even encouraged, that's another cost that needs to be factored in.

It varies on a game by game basis.

Some things only use the headset, some use the standard controller, some use Move, some let you pick between Move and standard controller.

I think not including a Move is a mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:42 
Bad Girl

Looking at videos for the PS VR just lead me to some fatty playing with the Vive. Man, it looks GOOD.

http://youtu.be/iWproPHhHd0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:53 
Esoteric

I like the sound of the movie mode.

Well I think I'm in pretty much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:00 
8-Bit Champion

"Mafiascum" for VR

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/03/15/w ... ew-vr-game

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:11 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Looking at videos for the PS VR just lead me to some fatty playing with the Vive. Man, it looks GOOD.

http://youtu.be/iWproPHhHd0

The Vive stuff I've seen has also massively impressed me. Although it'll obviously come down to the games, I think the Vive definitely has the potential to be the most impressive of the available platforms. It's just a little bit too rich for my blood is all. Selfishly I hope that the Sony effort will attract a large install base due to its lower barrier to entry; and that'll draw lots of developers and worthwhile games.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:36 

Price of PSVR to me: circa £350
Price of Rift or Vive: circa £1500

PSVR: preordered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:45 
Decapodian

Yep, I'm in a similar position.

Not ordered one just yet as I'm not sure it will make me vomitrotious, but I'll probably snap soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:48 
Gogmagog

I still think it is too much. But I want one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:48 

My birthday is in October. It would make a wonderful gift for a devoted husband and father.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

markg wrote:
My birthday is in October.
Yes!

markg wrote:
It would make a wonderful gift
Yes!

markg wrote:
for a devoted husband and father.
Fuckit!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 13:58 

Speculatively pre-ordered. It's Amazon, so they don't charge until dispatch and I can cancel later.

I already have some Move controllers but I'll need a camera if this goes ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:02 
Excellent Member

I'm very tempted to pre-order but if I don't then the absolute worst case scenario is that there's a temporary shortage of them and I need to wait a bit longer to buy one; which lets me find out for sure if they're actually worthwhile via the medium of every else's money. I'm surprisingly alright with that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:05 

This sensible talk has no place here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:09 
Excellent Member

I'm totally on the hype train! I'm just in the toilet hiding from the ticket inspector.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:10 
Excellent Member

At the other end of the scale, one of the guys in work has just pre-ordered one from Amazon. He doesn't actually own a PS4.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:15 
8-Bit Champion

Amazon pre-orders sold out in the first 10 minutes and Game want a £100 deposit

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... re-at-game

Quote:
GAME shops want £100 deposit for PlayStation VR pre-order

UPDATE 11.55am: PlayStation VR pre-orders are back on at Amazon UK - but now without the previous 1st October release date.

This suggests this is a second batch of stock, rather than the retailer's launch allocation. There's no guarantee you'll get one at the device's launch, although you can still put your order in now and get in the queue.

UPDATE 11.10am: Amazon UK has sold out of its PlayStation VR launch allocation in less than 10 minutes.

The retailer had limited purchases to just one per customer.

Still, there's always GAME.

ORIGINAL STORY 11.10am: You can now pre-order a PlayStation VR in-store at GAME - but only if you hand over a £100 deposit.

Eurogamer spoke to GAME shop staff who explained the deposit was necessary due to limited amount of stock.

There's no upfront charge for ordering the £349 headset via GAME's website - just for ordering one in the chain's bricks and mortar shops.

GAME's site is also offering a bundle option which includes a PlayStation Camera - which you'll need if you don't have one already. This option is £40 more expensive, at £389.

Hopefully GAME's website will behave itself this time - and doesn't delay orders or take payment for them multiple times.

Elsewhere online, pre-orders are also up at ShopTo, which also has a Camera bundle option.

Amazon is now taking pre-orders, limited to one per customer. Here's Amazon's note:

Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. The first orders will be eligible for release date delivery and this will be confirmed by email once the manufacturer confirms release date.
If your order does not qualify for release date deliver, you will be notified of an expected delivery date closer to the time. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:27 
I forgot about this - how vain

Hmmm, Amazon is accepting preorders as I type. I hope they don't cancel mine! I'm all aboard the hype train.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:43 
8-Bit Champion

Dr Lave wrote:
Hmmm, Amazon is accepting preorders as I type. I hope they don't cancel mine! I'm all aboard the hype train.

It looks like its accepting them but no longer confirming 'release date'

The implication is that they had a number which were available for launch , they have sold those and are taking pre-orders for a 'later' batch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:43 
I forgot about this - how vain

Ah yeah, your right, if you (like me) ordered at 11:45 they can't guarantee launch day delivery. Hmmm.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:44 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStatio ... station+VR

Quote:
Note: Due to limited stock we are only able to offer one unit per customer per address. We do not currently have a release date for this product. Based on our initial allocation we cannot guarantee release day delivery if you ordered after 11:45 GMT, Wednesday 16 March, 2016. You will be notified via email of the expected delivery date closer to the time. We will be fulfilling customer orders in the order in which they were placed. This product comes with a UK plug and therefore may not be suitable for use outside of the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 14:52 
Esoteric

Being the complete console newb that I am I'm going to wait and see if they do a complete bundle first, before buying everything separate. I've had my eye on a white PS4 for ages now and the price has very slowly crept down, so I'm hoping for a bundle :)

I'm not in any rush really so I will wait and see what pans out, but yeah, totally going to get this (unless it's an unbelievable flop which I strongly doubt from Sony).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 15:13 

zaphod79 wrote:
The implication is that they had a number which were available for launch , they have sold those and are taking pre-orders for a 'later' batch

And/or hoping for a larger launch day allocation from Uncle Sony, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 15:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

JohnCoffey wrote:
see what pans out, but yeah, totally going to get this (unless it's an unbelievable flop which I strongly doubt from Sony).

Yeah, because Sony have never produced any flops have they? :insincere:

Seriously though, I hope they put some serious effort into this unlike the Vita and PS move/Eyetoy thingy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:06 
Esoteric

TheVision wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
see what pans out, but yeah, totally going to get this (unless it's an unbelievable flop which I strongly doubt from Sony).

Yeah, because Sony have never produced any flops have they? :insincere:

Seriously though, I hope they put some serious effort into this unlike the Vita and PS move/Eyetoy thingy.

They won with Blu Ray...

No of course I know that nothing is bullet proof. However, I have far more faith in a company like Sony than Oculus.

Little Timmy has a PS4. He then asks his parents for a £350 headset. Now granted, he's got his work cut out for him but he's got far more chance of success than going for a £1600 PC set up with a Vive or Rift. That's how I see it any way. Whoever wins this war is going to be he one who can get into as many households as possible (like the Wii for example).

Plus let's face it, the last big PC game exclusive was in 2007. It's far more likely that the PS4 will also get more games and better ones too. With the PC you could take a risk, spend £1600 and then a year later find out that your Rift/Vive is basically the Betamax of headsets.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:22 
Excellent Member

JohnCoffey wrote:
Whoever wins this war is going to be he one who can get into as many households as possible (like the Wii for example).

Eh, the Wii 'won' in that it made a load of money for Nintendo on the hardware side, but I'd wager it shifted relatively few software units. It was successful because it sold to shitloads of 'non-gamers' but those people then bought few, if any, games so if you're a software house then fuck the Wii. I suspect this is one of the reasons there's fuck all third party software for the WiiU and certainly the console itself has sold poorly compared to both it's predecessor and it's rivals. Massive hardware sales is brilliant at the time for the platform owner, but if it doesn't translate into software sales then third parties and, eventually, the platform owner themselves lose out.

tl;dr: a large install base is obviously an advantage but if the software doesn't sell and continue selling then someone else will 'win' eventually.

I mean, I actually agree with you that Sony looks most likely to make a success of the VR thing; I just don't think it's quite as cut and dried as you make out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 17:46 
8-Bit Champion

Bamba wrote:
Eh, the Wii 'won' in that it made a load of money for Nintendo on the hardware side, but I'd wager it shifted relatively few software units.

I know its bad to pick this out but it sold s*it tons of games for Nintendo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ideo_games

If you want to exclude Wii Sports (bundled) you still have Mario Kart Wii selling over 36 million units, New Super Mario Bros selling nearly 30 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ideo_games - for the 360 (excluding Kinect) your saying titles like GTA with 17 million or Halo 3 with 14.5

Even going back to the PS2 era you get GTA with 27 million and then a big drop down to GT with 15 million https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ideo_games

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 18:05 
Excellent Member

Why the hell did you censor that 'shit'? ;)

And yeah, Nintendo themselves did well out of some of their own games but no one else really did much. Even while dividing a market between them Sony and MS are providing platforms that garner enough sales for both first and third party companies to support an entire industry despite having an install base that's smaller than what the Wii achieved.

Ultimately there's a few different way to measure 'success' here but I suppose my point is that straight out hardware sales aren't all of the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 18:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:

Some people run Beex in "safe mode" which filters out all the swears. It helps Beex to get around company content filters, etc.

However, the filtering out of the swears doesn't work while you're posting (you're sending the word "shit" through in plain text), so we advise folk to be their own swearing filter in these cases.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 18:53 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Some people run Beex in "safe mode" which filters out all the swears. It helps Beex to get around company content filters, etc.

However, the filtering out of the swears doesn't work while you're posting (you're sending the word "shit" through in plain text), so we advise folk to be their own swearing filter in these cases.

Is this really a thing or are you taking the piss out of me? Assuming good faith, how do you turn on safe mode?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 19:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

While it would be awesome if it were a wind up, it's true. The setting is in your profile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 19:04 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
While it would be awesome if it were a wind up, it's true. The setting is in your profile

Oh yeah, so it is. Is it forced on for guests and that's how it helps with corporate filters and whatnot?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 19:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nah, it'll do nothing for web sense and the like, where if you fit a category, you're blocked, but some places do actual word scanning when they load a page, and were blocking people because of the swears

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 21:22 
Excellent Member

Fair enough. Web sense et al is my experience of these kind of things and I thought maybe if there were no swear words publicly visible it might help get a more benign categorisation.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 22:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

From places I know of that beex is blocked by websense, it tends to get blocked either under games or forums, never adult or anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 22:52 
Best
Board Mother

Cras wrote:
From places I know of that beex is blocked by websense, it tends to get blocked either under games or forums, never adult or anything like that.

Yup, classed as a gaming site when I try to access it from work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 23:27 
Bad Girl

I had no swears on at work too and I'm so used to it now I've never turned it off, even though I'm self employed now. There's just something nice about people saying fudge a lot. I like fudge. And fudging. Fnaar fnaar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 23:55 
Excellent Member

Fudge you, you motherfudging fudger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 0:31 
Bad Girl

I've just deleted The Walking Dead season 2 after playing for 38 minutes and it won't be reinstalled.

I liked the opening section with old whatsherface firing the hunting rifle off the hip in the bog. Good that.

I was even getting into the fire building although my brain was remembering the slow tedium of walking around and picking up crap. I was starting to remember that Clem had an annoying voice. Then it was eating away at me that she was narrating what she was doing in a way no one would ever do. And the loading scenes between "action" sequences was hilariously long and tension breaking.

Then came Sam.

Sam was a good dog and we played too many games of frisbee that the game would allow. He even pointed out a walker for me. He had muddy legs just like my dog when I took him in the fields earlier! He was probably hungry so when I found a can of beans I didn't even eat a single bean because the first choice I got I gave some to Sam.

Lovely Sam.

Who turned on me like a muthafucker. After stabbing him in the nose with a pen knife and kicking him over a log I thought Sam might be long gone. Nope, Sam was impailed on some tent poles. And whimpering. His tongue was lolling, he was panting, eyes rolled back and yelping, kinda like this dog I heard earlier along Chav town near me who'd probably been left outside for a while and was in distress. So the first choice was to knife Sam to death or just clear off and enjoy the rest of my day and leave him to bleed out.

No The Walking Dead Season 2, I'll just turn you off and delete you. There's no need for this shit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 18:38 
UltraMod

PS4.5/4K in the works.

I thought PSVR running well on a stock PS4 was too good to be true. What's the betting you'll need one of these to get a decent performance out of the VR headset?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:34 

I'm pretty sure that they will have been demoing their VR as you'll see it on stock PS4s, otherwise they've got an awful lot of explaining and marketing to do between now and October.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:49 

Lonewolves wrote:
I thought PSVR running well on a stock PS4 was too good to be true. What's the betting you'll need one of these to get a decent performance out of the VR headset?

I think the way these rumours are being interpreted are wrong. More horsepower for the VR wouldn't hurt, but consider the target market: right now, the target market of PS4VR is (everyone with PS4) * (headset adoption rate). Now consider it as (everyone with PS4K) * (headset adoption rate). Getting devs to target the first market is hard enough; the second is impossible, and it could very easily render PSVR stillborn.

I suspect what's actually going on is that the PS4 cannot support the new 4K Ultra Blu-Ray standard, but the whole of Sony has some goals around 4K adoption, if only to sell some tellies. So (assuming it's not all horseshit) I think the primary goal is to release a new PS4 that can do the 4K Blu-Rays, because Sony still remembers fondly how many PS2s it sold because they were really good DVD players. This PS4K may or may not have an upgraded spec for games, but I think that's secondary.

Bigger picture, though, is that consoles and computers are getting closer together, and the line between (say) a PS4 and a Steam Box has never been more blurry. Absolutely fixed console specs is one of the next paradigms most likely to fall, and it wouldn't mean chaos. Developers for iOS muddle through with two dozen SKUs to chase; games devs won't explode if there were two concurrent PlayStation specs to target.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:31 
SavyGamer

Fairly certain that the PS4 currently on the market is entirely capable of supporting 4k Blu Rays and other 4k content
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1086342

I do think an upgrade that was capable of playing the same games at 4k would make a degree of sense.

Bear in mind this news has come out of GDC, a conference specifically for game developers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:31 
Excellent Member

There's no way in hell that a whole new PS4 will be required for PSVR. Given that loads of people have actually already ordered the headsets, if Sony turned around at any point between now and October with a new additional expensive hardware requirement it would be a massive bait & switch and people would (rightly) lose their fucking minds. If they'd came out ages ago and said, "Look, we flat-out need more horsepower to make this work so it's upgrade or die." then fair enough but at this point in the proceedings? Surely to God even Sony wouldn't be that stupid? Especially as they seem to have had their collective heads screwed on straight with pretty much every aspect of the PS4 up to this point. I have no doubt that, as with MS' recent chat, a PS4+ model will be announced well before you'd normally expect to see the PS5 pop-up but at this point? Nah, it's too early and too risky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

People seem to be forgetting just how bad Sony have been at this in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:34 
Paws for thought

Well, no. It would be a "You can pay it on the old ps4, or get a better experience with a newer ps4"

Much like with a pc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:39 

LewieP wrote:
Fairly certain that the PS4 currently on the market is entirely capable of supporting 4k Blu Rays and other 4k content
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1086342
I've read that before. It's nothing more than twenty thousand suppositions jammed together into a Jenga-style tower. Maybe it's right, but it's far from proven.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:41 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Well, no. It would be a "You can pay it on the old ps4, or get a better experience with a newer ps4"

Much like with a pc.

And that would be absolutely fine if that message had come out and been socialised a good while back, but to do it now? It would be madness.

Reply to topic  [ 2598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 52  Next