Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 18:30 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
IIRC the GTX 970 does not meet minimum spec for OR. For that you need a 980.

Wrong. It does not meet the *recommended* spec.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/the-r ... am-voting/

I don't know if it has been changed or what, but it now says:
Quote:
For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Yes, sorry. He's wrong twice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:13 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
The cheapest sort of entry level card you should get is the Radeon 390. The GTX 970 is actually quite a light design and thus isn't really suited to things like OR. Thankfully the 390 is very reasonably priced right now for a very decent high grade card.

I'm curious as to why they're so specific with OR requiring a 980, when the 970 is the same GPU as a 980 with a couple of bits disabled. (Unlike the 960 for example, which is effectively a 980 cut in half on everything including the memory bus.)

970 vs 980 post here - viewtopic.php?p=887762#p887762

It's possible that OR really does need the extra 8 ROPs that the 980 has over the 970, for example, but I'd be quite surprised.

I spoke to a friend of mine earlier who has had both of the OR devkits and he basically told me the following.

OR runs a resolution similar to three times that of 1080p.

That's quite a hefty resolution for both the 970 and 980. That apparently isn't the main cause of concern, though. The 'screens' are 90hz. He says that with anything less than 70 FPS it starts to become less than ideal. Or rather, it becomes less than smooth and starts to make you feel quite ill.

You're right that the 970 isn't that much slower than the 980 but the 980 isn't exactly ideal either. 3x1080p @ a minimum of 70 FPS is an awful lot to ask of either card, thus you're better off with something like the 980ti or next gen Pascal (which is rumoured to be more of a 'full fat' solution than mid range Maxwell)

So basically Nvidia now have to go back to making heftier silicon.

AMD have taken a gamble with GCN which until now has not paid off. It's hot, large in die size and needs lots of power. They also took a huge risk with Fury X, given that it only truly shines with 4k.

Whether it will pay off? No idea tbh. Right now it's looking that way but we only have one game and one synthetic benchmark to go on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:22 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I spoke to a friend of mine earlier who has had both of the OR devkits and he basically told me the following.

Rift DK1 was 640×800 per eye @ 60Hz
DK2 was 960×1080 per eye @ 60 Hz
CV1 is 1080×1200 per eye @ 90 Hz

Your friend is an idiot because none of this is close to three times 1080p, and you could at least read Wikipedia for the scant thirty seconds necessary to avoid parroting nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:31 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Rift DK1 was 640×800 per eye @ 60Hz
DK2 was 960×1080 per eye @ 60 Hz
CV1 is 1080×1200 per eye @ 90 Hz

Your friend is an idiot because none of this is close to three times 1080p, and you could at least read Wikipedia for the scant thirty seconds necessary to avoid parroting nonsense.

http://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering.

It seems I got a little bit confused. Overall it pretty much equates to the same, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 21:39 

OK, that's a bit more sensible as source! But I do not understand this bit at all:

JohnCoffey wrote:
In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:28 
Esoteric

I think what he could mean by "eye target" is 90 FPS? He's comparing Rift to 1080p/60hz, so maybe that's why the requirements are that much higher because you need 33(or so)% more FPS to keep it smooth?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 
Master of dodgy spelling....

*eats popcorn, watches geek off*

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:17 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I think what he could mean by "eye target" is 90 FPS? He's comparing Rift to 1080p/60hz, so maybe that's why the requirements are that much higher because you need 33(or so)% more FPS to keep it smooth?

No,

1920 x 1080 x 60 = 124M
2160 x 1200 x 90 = 233M

I have been trying to google eye-target scale, but all I get is articles quoting the statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Refresh rate and fps are very different things. Where's anyone getting 90fps from?

Eye-target distance doesn't seem to be a term that has any widely accepted meaning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:21 

Cras wrote:
Refresh rate and fps are very different things. Where's anyone getting 90fps from?

That's what they say is needed to avoid getting sick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh yeah, so it does. Huh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:33 

Is it possible to render graphics out of focus in such a way that the eyes have to focus on a point slightly further away than screen, you know, to avoid eye fatigue? Maybe it's something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:48 
Esoteric

Apparently it's perfectly fine for OR to hit 70 FPS. Any lower and yeah, puke 'o' fest.

Also for any one interested. Here is a post from a fellow forumite chum of mine on a different forum. I asked him if he knew of a list of supported games. This guy has had both of the OR dev kits.

Quote:
No, because the only 3 games officially announced as of today by Oculus are Valkyrie, Luckys Tale and Rock Band. There are lots of others that have promised to be a launch titles (technolust etc) but there's no official list.

Half Life 2 is, to most people, a pretty horrible, nauseating experience. I can play about two minutes before getting pukey. It was never designed for VR, the locomotion and turning make you want to spew, and the scale is all off (you are taller than most of the combine which makes them far less intimating than they should be)

Honestly though, anyone just getting into VR to play the games they currently play, but in VR is going to be in for a pukey disappointment. In time, developers will find ways to make FPS etc games work, but right now, my best advice is to stick to games with a well thought out and solidly implemented VR experience.

TBH it hardly makes me want to rush out and buy one. Especially if it's not really compatible with many existing games and or makes you want to hurl.

It sounds like an Atari VCS with Space Invaders and "Bat 'n' ball". I know it goes further than that with movies and other 'cool things' (like roller coasters and so on) but right now as a strict gamer it's not exactly exciting me. It sounds very primitive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

lasermink wrote:
Is it possible to render graphics out of focus in such a way that the eyes have to focus on a point slightly further away than screen, you know, to avoid eye fatigue? Maybe it's something like that.

Sort of - you cheat it by making the point you want the user to focus on the only point that's in focus - but I think that makes people more sick if they're not looking at it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:54 

Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:

Sort of - you cheat it by making the point you want the user to focus on the only point that's in focus - but I think that makes people more sick if they're not looking at it.

No, that's not what I mean. I mean rendering the entire image out of focus. Presumably they are using a constant focal point (everything being sharp) in any case, but by rendering everything slightly out of focus uniformly, the screens would appear to be further away than they actually are. Otherwise it would be like reading a book a few inches away from your eyes, which could cause strain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 13:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:

That's what gave me massive headaches with 3D films until I learned not to try and focus on things that aren't what the film wants you to focus on

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:01 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:

That's what gave me massive headaches with 3D films until I learned not to try and focus on things that aren't what the film wants you to focus on

That's why 3D films are shit. I sometimes want to look at background stuff and it doesn't want to let you do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:05 

I try not to watch 3D normally, unless it is a sci-fi like Star Wars etc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:07 

lasermink wrote:
Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:

No, that's not what I mean. I mean rendering the entire image out of focus. Presumably they are using a constant focal point (everything being sharp) in any case, but by rendering everything slightly out of focus uniformly, the screens would appear to be further away than they actually are. Otherwise it would be like reading a book a few inches away from your eyes, which could cause strain.

Thinking further about this, it would probably have to be combined with physical lenses that puts the image back into focus (I'm not really sure, I don't know that much about optics).

But, if this is how it works, imagine looking at a painting on a wall, through a window in another wall in front of it in such a way that the edge of the window lines up with the edge of the painting from your point of view. The painting would take up a larger area than the window due to perspective. So maybe the larger resolution needed corresponds the larger area of the image actually being rendered.

It makes sense in my brain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:12 

Pretty sure that you can't render something blurred and then put it back into focus with a lens. The screens just have a lens in front of them which requires your eyes to focus at a given distance to view them giving the appearance that it's further away than it really is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:23 

Cras wrote:
It's not really 90 fps. What it is is latency between a head movement and the viewpoint reflecting that movement, and Oculus claim that 11ms and below is the maximum you want that latency to be. If its too high it breaks immersion and can lead to nausea.

11 ms is equivalent to a framerate *lower* bound (not mean) of 90 fps, but actually that's not sufficient; you can have 90 fps but with, say, 100 frames of latency and that'd still suck.

Related: Carmack has lead some research on reprojection (and the PlayStation VR will use this.) The PS4 outputs a 60 Hz signal, but the headset supports 120 Hz (as in that's the latency on its sensors and refresh rate on its screen.) The headset generates intermediate frames in between the PS4's actual rendered frames by applying geometry warps to the last frame it has that distort the image to match whatever the head just did. You head isn't moving far in 11 ms, so this is (apparently)_quite a successful approach without significant degradation in the image. AFAIK Oculus doesn't support this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:28 
Esoteric

TBH the more I read and see the more I am thinking it would probably be much better if I waited and bought a PS4 and VR headset for that, rather than constantly gambling on compatibility on a PC. Right now I have one Fury X and Saturday I should get a second. That opens up a whole new can of worms with regards to OR and compatibility.

VR sounds more like a bit of a tech demo right now than something that is complete and ready.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 20:03 
Esoteric

Well I did it.

I had to make an adapter plate to shift the second 120mm mount up by about 12mm so that the rads didn't hit each other. It was close.. They almost hit.

Massive improvements in some games, doesn't work at all in others. BLOPS 3 the scaling is so good I can max it with MSAA @4k but Just Cause 3 apparently doesn't work with multiple GPUs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 22:09 
UltraMod

Hmmmm, my new PC outputs iRacing on the highest settings at 455fps, so I capped it at 120fps so the video card doesn't catch fire.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 23:11 
Excellent Member

Presumably also because your monitor/TV would just be dumping most of the 455 frames anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 0:03 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Presumably also because your monitor/TV would just be dumping most of the 455 frames anyway.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:54 
Can you dig it?

JohnCoffey wrote:
pics

Yikes, that's a creepy doll you have there :'(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 13:05 

Where is the best place to get a internal HDD from, I want 1-2 TB as my PC is filling up.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/comp ... dm003.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 13:27 
Esoteric

Word on the street is that Seagate are not very good any more. I've never had issues with them though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... ers&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... ers&sr=1-9

I'm not sure which one is better though. I *think* the greens use less power? you would need to do some Googling :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 17:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Amazon certainly are cheap, I just got a Samsung EVO 500GB SSD off them for fully £20 cheaper than anywhere else had one, and postage was free as well.

Whoever decided that SATA cables don't need any sort of clipping in mechanism properly deserves a punch in the face.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 18:23 
UltraMod

My Steam controller has arrived. First impressions out of the box are that it's a nicely put together piece of hardware! All satisfying clicks and whatnot. Will try it out later on a variety of games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 18:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
My Steam controller has arrived. First impressions out of the box are that it's a nicely put together piece of hardware! All satisfying clicks and whatnot. Will try it out later on a variety of games.

Does it charge with a standard Micro-USB plug?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 18:32 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

It has a standard Micro-USB port yeah, but not to charge... it comes with two AA batteries. So no rechargeable battery unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

It has a standard Micro-USB port yeah, but not to charge... it comes with two AA batteries. So no rechargeable battery unit.

Really? Goodness, that seems like a strange decision to make.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:14 
Paws for thought

Cheaper to make.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, but even so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 20:19 
UltraMod

Games I have tried so far:

Portal 2:
Didn't think much of the default controls, but downloaded the highest-rated community config and it was immediately much better. Fidelity on the right pad is incredible. So much so you have to be a lot more delicate with it than I'm used to. A whole swipe turns you 180, and the back buttons crouch and jump, so no real need to find the slightly out of place face buttons at any point.

Tomb Raider 2013:
A similar experience to Portal 2, seemed fiddly at first to move the camera around, but it will take some getting used to. You can now aim and shoot with one trigger as it has a digital button press at the end. Squeeze gently to aim, press in to fire (sextape).

So that's a first- and third-person game that already supported normal controllers. Just downloading Civ V and Bioshock to test out a mouse-driven game and an old FPS that doesn't have controller support.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 21:47 
Bad Girl

Just outta interest, how are you downloading those community config things - like, what's the process?

Does it set up the controller for whatever-you-downloaded to each game or just the game you were playing?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 22:00 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
Just outta interest, how are you downloading those community config things - like, what's the process?

Does it set up the controller for whatever-you-downloaded to each game or just the game you were playing?

It's per game. In BPM it should have 'Manage Game' on the left-hand side. Controller config is in there. Ignore the recommended one and go down to community and pick the most popular.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 23:30 
UltraMod

Ok so Bioshock plays very well using it and even Civ 5 is pretty playable too (although the fonts are tiny)!

I'm really impressed by this!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 

I could not get on with the Steam controller at all, had to plug a 360 jobbie into my Steam Link.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:37 
UltraMod

GazChap wrote:
I could not get on with the Steam controller at all, had to plug a 360 jobbie into my Steam Link.

It actually makes a lot more sense but will take some serious unlearning on my part re: the muscle memory I have using the right stick. Having a trackpad simulate mouselook is a lot more accurate than looking around with a standard right stick, but it's much more sensitive and only requires very small inputs. When you've been throwing a right stick around for the last ten years at first you just spin around on the spot. I was getting the hang of it by the end of the first level of Bioshock. Swiping to turn 180 is genius.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:

Fancy selling it to me?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Plugging a jobbie into anything never goes terribly well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:11 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
Plugging a jobbie into anything never goes terribly well.

Spacedockers of the world disagree.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:59 

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Fancy selling it to me?

I need it to turn the Steam Link on, as often using the 360 controller to switch it on doesn't bloody work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 13:04 
UltraMod

GazChap wrote:
often using the 360 controller to switch it on doesn't bloody work.

Wired or wireless? My wired one works all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 13:23 

Wireless. It's fine provided I never let the Steam Link turn off, if it just goes to sleep the 360 controller wakes it up, but if I ever absent mindedly turn it off it'll not switch back on from the 360 pad.

Wired ain't an option due to distances.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 13:33 
UltraMod

GazChap wrote:
Wireless. It's fine provided I never let the Steam Link turn off, if it just goes to sleep the 360 controller wakes it up, but if I ever absent mindedly turn it off it'll not switch back on from the 360 pad.

Wired ain't an option due to distances.

Having a £40 controller just for turning it on is fucking ludicrous though :DD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 13:53 
Esoteric

Once I have turned on my TV PC I just use something similar to this to operate it "pre game".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4G-Mini-Wir ... SwkZhWSuqC

Mine has a trackball though and was slightly more expensive.

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 119  Next