Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

For McGann stuff check out any of the Big Finish Audio adventures.

I think Chinny also posted this on twitter :

Quote:
True Fact: When the Great Intelligence got into my timeline, rather than destroy me, we just went on a trip up North.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I recall the McGann thing as being rubbish, but everyone seems to really rate it. I hall have to rewatch it.

It is rubbish but it has good points as well. One of them is McGann. He's a great actor and I'm still bitter they didn't use him for the comeback rather than Ecclescake.

Agreed - it's a terrible film really, but McGann makes the whole thing reasonably watchable. It's telling that McGann is considered the canon, de facto 8th Doctor, but absolutely everything else from that film has been completely ignored and disregarded.

Edit: I didn't mind Ecclestone, for what it was worth, but I've heard before that he hated the whole thing and couldn't wait to be rid of it, so it's staggering that he took the role on in the first place. What was he expecting it would be like exactly? But he plays the role fairly well, seamlessly blending jovial with deadly serious and quite believeable as a Time Lord hero forced to do some terrible things in the Time War, now on the other side and trying to become the hero he used to be again.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 
Chinny chin chin

Zio wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I recall the McGann thing as being rubbish, but everyone seems to really rate it. I hall have to rewatch it.

It is rubbish but it has good points as well. One of them is McGann. He's a great actor and I'm still bitter they didn't use him for the comeback rather than Ecclescake.

Agreed - it's a terrible film really, but McGann makes the whole thing reasonably watchable. It's telling that McGann is considered the canon, de facto 8th Doctor, but absolutely everything else from that film has been completely ignored and disregarded.

I'll say this for it. It's very well directed.

It's also a huge shame that apparently the X-Files were shooting in the disused hospital they used a month before and painted all the walls a horrible shade of green. When they found this out it was too late to do anything about it. So some of the hospital scenes look a bit ugly.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 13:39 
Goth

This makes Peter Davison even more my favouritest doctor.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 13:46 
8-Bit Champion

DerekFME wrote:
This makes Peter Davison even more my favouritest doctor.

And not just because his daughter is the Doctors daughter , and the Doctors wife , and that he has the Doctor as a son in law ?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 13:58 
Sleepyhead

The Doctor married his own daughter?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 14:02 

Curiosity wrote:

Davison's daugher, Georgia Moffet, played the Doctor's "daughter" in episode of the same name (Jenny the Dalek Slayer). She's now married to Tennant.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 14:03 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:

And then they had a daughter !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_tennant

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
Tennant married actress Georgia Moffett, who played his Doctor's genetically created daughter in the Doctor Who episode "The Doctor's Daughter" (and is also the real-life daughter of Fifth Doctor actor Peter Davison),[63] on 30 December 2011. Tennant and Moffett have a daughter, Olive, born in March 2011,[64][65] and he adopted her then nine-year-old son, Ty, in September 2011.[66]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 15:28 

Zio wrote:

I saw that on Netflix last week, haven't seen it since it was first aired in 1996. Paul McGann was magnificent. Real shame he never got another chance to play his Doctor on screen. I don't suppose it was ever unearthed to whether he was in the running to play the Doctor in the 2005 series?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 16:33 

Anonymous X wrote:
Zio wrote:

I saw that on Netflix last week, haven't seen it since it was first aired in 1996. Paul McGann was magnificent. Real shame he never got another chance to play his Doctor on screen. I don't suppose it was ever unearthed to whether he was in the running to play the Doctor in the 2005 series?

From what I recall at the time, I don't think he was ever asked. I'm sure I read an interview where he stated he'd be interested in taking on the role again, but RTD and co wanted a fresh start with a new Doctor. I think Christopher Ecclestone was seen as a bit of a coup at the time, considering he's usually considered a 'serious' actor.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 22:27 
Chinny chin chin

Good news: My JNT book has arrived.

Bad news: Mrs Chinny has confiscated it until the weekend as she thinks I won't do anything but read it.

Gah! Still I did managed to flick through it and saw the entertaining tale of JNT being sucked off by a fan while on the phone to Biddie Baxter the Blue Peter producer.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 0:17 

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Totally different attitude to someone like Davison who loves being involved. When they did the 40th Radio Times covers he found the photoshoot clashed with some series he was shooting so he couldn't do it. But on the day he found that the schedule meant he could finish the shoot early so got a taxi across London and turned up at the shoot! Hence why on the Radio Times cover he's not in his costume. He's just wearing his regular clothes as no costume had been ordered up.

That's quite interesting in a way. I assumed at the time that the lack of the traditional cricketing costume was because someone haf decided to retcon the 5th Doctor as having a 'man from Del Monte' image.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:12 
Unpossible!

There's an exhibition at Spaceport currently FEATURING a TARDIS, some cybermen, sontarans and the like and other miscellaneous things. Strangely, it's called Time Travellers and doesn't seem to mention Dr Who at all in the advertising. Licensing problems?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 
Chinny chin chin

Copped a sneaky peek at the book. Said to a 17 year old fan as a unsuccessful chat up line "Have you ever had two up you". 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:13 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/ ... -time.html

Quote:
There are quite a few things you might expect to find at the bottom of a pond. Garbage. Discarded firearms. Dead bodies weighted down with cement. But even if I kept that list going for another two hundred entries, I’m pretty sure I still wouldn’t have reached the “Dalek” entry. But a Dalek is exactly what volunteers cleaning up a British pond stumbled upon a few months ago. Don’t worry, though…now that it’s back on dry land, I’m sure the dead bodies will be forthcoming.

“Pond warden” Tony Brown, 70, had organized a group of volunteers to give a pond near Hampshire a bit of spring cleaning. Normally at this point I’d wander off on a tangent wondering what the hell a “pond warden” is, but never mind that. There are Daleks! Well, only one Dalek, in point of fact, discovered by 42-year-old Marc Oakland while poking around the bottom of the shallow pond with a rake. “I’d just shifted a tree branch with my foot when I noticed something dark and round slowly coming up to the surface,” said Oakland. “I got the shock of my life when a Dalek head bobbed up right in front of me.”

Rather than soiling himself and fleeing in search of a nearby time lord, Oakland gave the Dalek hull a closer look. “One of the dome lights was smashed,” continued Oakland, “but the eye-stalk was intact and the head and neck stayed in one piece as I carefully lifted it out.”

Brown then took charge with all the authority endowed to a pond warden, however much that may be, and charged the volunteers with exploring the rest of the pond, just in case any more of the Doctor’s defeated foes were mouldering in the muck. Alas, Brown assured The Telegraph that “there were definitely no alien remnants lurking.”

Brown told The Telegraph they wanted to keep the exact location of the pond a secret, lest the town be descended upon by a horde of greedy Dalek scavengers. To say nothing of a fully armed Dalek recovery team. Brown noted that Doctor Who had filmed in the area at least once, back in the ‘80s during the Colin Baker years, but there’s no way of knowing exactly how the Dalek wound up in the pond.

I can’t find any follow-ups to the story, so I think I’m pretty safe in assuming that the Dalek later reactivated and murdered everyone in Hampshire. When one of our GFR reporters approached the local Dalek embassy for an official comment, he was shouted at and then vaporized.

Given the location I think Chinny dumped it

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... erbyshire/

Yes I know - Children's BBC and Dick n Dom but its about Delia Derbyshire

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 18:59 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
Given the location I think Chinny dumped it

If it turns out the Dalek is white, I can have a pretty good guess as to where it is.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 19:01 
Chinny chin chin

Reading the JNT book. It's an astonishing read.

Is it standard practice that gay men invite people around for dinner, pretend to drop their forks under the table, tie their guests shoelaces to the table leg and then try to have sex with them?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 19:06 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Reading the JNT book. It's an astonishing read.

Is it standard practice that gay men invite people around for dinner, pretend to drop their forks under the table, tie their guests shoelaces to the table leg and then try to have sex with them?

Craster did that to me at new year, so it seems to check out.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 22:47 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qy0b5/Absolute_Genius_with_Dick_and_Dom_Derbyshire/

Yes I know - Children's BBC and Dick n Dom but its about Delia Derbyshire

While I'm not familiar with their work, Dick and Dom are HUGE TV anoraks which endears them to me enormously. So I expect they did a good job within the confines of their brief.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 23:06 
8-Bit Champion

Earlier the link i posted was to the whole episode on iplayer but it seems to have gone - there is this limited clip here (10 mins worth when i'm sure the whole episode was closer to 30)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p017qzqy

Ah - found it on youtube

As i said its more aimed at kids but I appreciate the acknowledgement of her as a genius and pioneer of electronic music

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 23:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Craster did that to me at new year, so it seems to check out.

Everyone else had gone to bed. And it was such a nice table.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 
Unpossible!

Was Dr Who Rubbish in the 80s?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 23:50 
Chinny chin chin

New series of Doctor Who to start final week of August 2014, and consisting of 12 episodes. Smith contracted for only half of the season.*

* May contain traces of bullshit but don't say I don't pass on info.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 23:58 
Chinny chin chin

DavPaz wrote:

Full piece of Newsnight (now on the iPlayer) was interesting but nothing new really. Nice to see Rona Munro speak about Survival though as I know she was annoyed she couldn't make the dates to be on the DVD documentary.

As is pointed out, Who was recorded in a multicamera studio with very limited time available. Meanwhile expectations got higher and higher. Things did improve when they were able to do whole episodes on location but even then they were stuck on video tape using OB crews who spent most of the year shooting sports events. As Sophie Aldred pointed out once, the crew for Survival were doing Wimbledon the following week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 19:35 
Chinny chin chin

Announcement at midnight that will make the front pages of tomorrows newspapers..........

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 20:46 
baron of techno

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Announcement at midnight that will make the front pages of tomorrows newspapers..........

Dr. Who has run out of lives?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 21:18 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

Dr. Who has run out of lives?

See my post earlier in the week.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 22:20 
Chinny chin chin

Matt Smith to regenerate at the end of the Xmas episode.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 22:47 
8-Bit Champion

On the beeb now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/ar ... Doctor-Who

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 23:51 
Excellent Member

Let's hope that Moffat goes at the same time - the silly tit has totally fucked up Doctor Who.

Sad to see Smith leaving though - he did some (mostly) great work with many truly atrocious scripts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 0:16 

Aw, can't we keep M. Smith and lose that hack Moffatt instead? No? OK.

Anyway, we've had a proper good Doctor, now time for a badly mis-cast disaster of a Doctor as we're due to get.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 
Goth

Matt Smith has been brilliant when he's been grumpy. And yes indeed the writing has often been poor behind him. We seem to be going through Doctors quickly these days don't we?

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:30 

This is a shame. I really liked Matt Smith's Doctor and what he brought to the character. I much preferred him to the other two most recent doctors, whose names I have forgotten because it's 6:30am. I didn't mind - aha! David Tennant! But I couldn't stand that big gurning one before him. Ecclestone, that's him.

Anyone else get vocally angry every time River Song says 'spoilers!'

Gnggh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:18 
8-Bit Champion

DerekFME wrote:
We seem to be going through Doctors quickly these days don't we?

I always think that as well - and the issues seems to be that i remember Tom Baker who was an anomaly

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_who
Quote:
The Doctor Portrayed by Tenure
First Doctor William Hartnell 1963–66
Second Doctor Patrick Troughton 1966–69
Third Doctor Jon Pertwee 1970–74
Fourth Doctor Tom Baker 1974–81
Fifth Doctor Peter Davison 1981–84
Sixth Doctor Colin Baker 1984–86
Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy 1987–89, 1996
Eighth Doctor Paul McGann 1996
Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston 2005
Tenth Doctor David Tennant 2005–10
Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith 2010–13

So excluding Tom Baker virtually everyone else in the 'classic' era was only the Doctor for 2 or 3 years although those were working them flat out , since the reboot Tennant was there for 5 but that did include a year of 'specials' instead of normal episodes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:08 

I've never totally loved Smith, but yes overall he's been a good 'un. Curious to see who they choose next.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 13:01 
Sleepyhead

*awaits the obligatory rumours about it being a woman or a black*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 13:03 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Curiosity wrote:

BBC already have that covered, but Rupert Grint is bookies favourite. Also, twitter is awash with feminist (cretins) saying Who is sexist for never having a female doctor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 13:06 
Goth

How do they stack up screen time wise, these doctors?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 13:10 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

BBC already have that covered, but Rupert Grint is bookies favourite. Also, twitter is awash with feminist (cretins) saying Who is sexist for never having a female doctor.

I find their forced projwction of standard human sexes on to an alien wrong and illustrative of the cruelty of their kind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 13:25 
8-Bit Champion

DerekFME wrote:
How do they stack up screen time wise, these doctors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

First Doctor - 3 seasons 126 episodes (at around 24 minutes each) 3024 minutes
Second Doctor - 3 seasons 127 episodes 3048 minutes
Third Doctor - 5 seasons but lower number of eps per season 128 episodes at 25 minutes each 3200 minutes
Fourth Doctor - 7 seasons 172 episodes 4300 minutes
Fifth Doctor - 3 seasons 73 episodes 1890 minutes
Sixth Doctor - 2 seasons 27 episodes 675 minutes
Seventh Doctor - 3 seasons 42 episodes 1050 minutes
Eight Doctor - 1 movie 89 minutes
Ninth Doctor - 1 season 13 episodes at 45 minutes each 585 minutes
Tenth Doctor - 3 seasons + specials 42 normal episodes at 45 minutes plus 4 specials at 60 minutes each 2130 minutes
Eleventh Doctor - 3 seasons + 2 specials 42 normal episodes at 45 minutes plus 2 specials at 60 minutes each 2010 minutes

*note* this isnt including things like the 3 doctors / 5 doctors / 2 doctors its just a very rough set of numbers using the info from Wikipedia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:10 
Excellent Member

Although if you really wanted to go further in the direction of awesomely alien Tilda Swinton would definitely be the best bet.

Hey, I can dream.

Will miss you Smith. You were rather mighty. And please Moffat, no more. Seriously.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:45 
Goth

Earlier Doctors definitely had a lot more time as being the doctor then. Up to fifth doctor anyway..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 16:25 
Chinny chin chin

zaphod79 wrote:
lly everyone else in the 'classic' era was only the Doctor for 2 or 3 years although those were working them flat out , since the reboot Tennant was there for 5 but that did include a year of 'specials' instead of normal episodes

Pertwee did 5 years,

Hartnell and Toughton pretty much shot for around 40 to 45 weeks a year, producing 1 episode a week.

From Pertwee to end of Davison they usually did around 26 episodes a year although some seasons were curtailed due to the regular BBC strikes (season 17 losing 6 episodes and season 20 losing 4).

Then we have the 13 episodes of 50 minute episodes for 1985 (Colin's first season) followed by 14 25 min episodes every year after that until 1989.

So essentially Hartnell and Troughton did twice as many episodes per year than many of the other Doctors.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 16:31 
Goth

I don't think I could watch Doctor Who with Rupert Grint as The Doctor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 14:18 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573 ... bit-really

Quote:
2013 is the 50th anniversary of DOCTOR WHO, and we're celebrating! We've built a TARDIS, and we're putting it in orbit.

Quote:
How far along are we?

Pretty far, actually. The TARDIS is built. That's right. We've completed the satellite. The satellite is constructed from really light weight aluminum (because weight is a huge issue) and it is a scaled-down version of the actual TARDIS. Our satellite is only about 1 foot tall - because again, weight is a major factor. However, the light on top functions (powered by solar cells in the windows.) And that means that when we put this thing in space, there will be a TARDIS with a blinking light orbiting the Earth.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 18:05 

Pretty darn cool costume:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/doctor-who-bl ... ume-49264/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:35 
Rude Belittler

Mimi wrote:

That is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Plus bonus Kaylee.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 0:33 

They're releasing Spearhead From Space on Blu-ray?! That's... Unexpected.

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 87  Next