Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Classic game to make exciting return
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 0:32 
lazy eye patch

I can't help but feel I've started this thread before, but I couldn't find it - apologies if it does already exist :)

What classic game(s) of yesteryear do you most wish would make their triumphant return?

For me, an obvious one would be Syndicate. Syndicate Wars never happened, and that was over a decade ago anyway. Oh, how I long for a game that is basically just the original, but with real 3D, a decent adjustable camera, and net play. I'd gauss you all into kingdom come for many a happy hour.

Otherwise, I'd love to see an update of the Everyone's a Wally series. Quite bizarre to think that there's not been a game that's essentially just about a family helping each other out to get through a scrape, in recent years - seems like perfect post-Sims 'casual'-friendly fare. It'd be perfect fodder for the Wii - do a tie-in with the TV series 'Shameless' and you've got a perfect license to boot.

etc.

Post subject: Re: Classic game to make exciting return
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 0:51 
Chu Jung?

I believe Charlie Brooker's already said it, but PLEASE, give us UFO: Enemy Unknown on the DS. A straight port would do me fine, although a multiplayer option would be a bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 0:59 
Irresponsible member

It depends on how far back you are going. I would love Elite to be done properly, like a cross beteween itself and EVE. Wierdly I think Werewolves of London would make a good modern game if anyone cared to bother.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:03 
Chinny chin chin

Steve wrote:
Wierdly I think Werewolves of London would make a good modern game if anyone cared to bother.

Indeed. A hugely under-rated game. It's actually a 2D game that would be fantastic in 3D rather than the usual shoe-in where they just convert any old 2D game to 3D.

For anyone not familiar:

CPC version, natch, for it is the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:54 

A 'Rogue Squadron' of the Defender licence

Elite. Just regular Archimedes Elite with modern graphics, much improved AI and so on, just shine everything. Graphically, interface wise, gameplay, etc. Don't get me started on the DEMO that is oOlite.

Frontier - same again, plus a modern remake.

Chuckie Egg with the Crackdown engine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:04 
lazy eye patch

Goatboy wrote:
Chuckie Egg with the Crackdown engine

Your mind is a terrifying but fascinating place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:29 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I'd have to say Syndicate as well. The potential is ridiculously obvious. To be honest, I'll be surprised if this isn't done eventually.

K240 / Fragile Allegiance. The original had me hooked for absolutely ages, both when I got it for christmas in 1994 and ten years later on WinUAE. Even the remake, Fragile Allegiance, had me playing for a long while before I realised its couple of fatal flaws (the most significant being the lack of a missile attack warning, even when two of your colonies have been totally wiped out while you were faffing about in a submenu somewhere at the other end of the sector. Grr). Shame really, as the remake was genuinely innovative with its introducion of espionage and proper trade. There's sacks of potential in it, and it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:19 
Honey Boo Boo

If anyone is interested, there's a Nintendo DS port of OpenTTD (Transpot Tycoon) available... it's far from finished.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:05 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MetalAngel wrote:
If anyone is interested, there's a Nintendo DS port of OpenTTD (Transpot Tycoon) available... it's far from finished.

So it's a bit like Sim British Rail?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:53 
Excellent Moose

Magic carpet, would surely be a multiplayer winner.
I still occasionally struggle with DOSBox & slomo to play this, curses to bullfrog for not putting in any frame rate/movement linking code.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:32 
Hibernating Druid

A second world war shooting game.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:37 
lazy eye patch

That's just crazy talk!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 
Isn't that lovely?

Carrier Command.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bloody Roar! And Colony Wars!
(They're not that old, I guess, er...)
Oh, Laser Squad!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:07 

Alien Breed. Essentially Gears Of War, but with the setting of Tower Assault, etc.

I'd also be up for some more Colony Wars - them games were fantastic! And decent modern Elite and Frontier!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:40 
Can you dig it?

I quite enjoyed Syndicate Wars on the PC. What did people dislike about it (just curious)?

Never quite got it running properly in Vista, should really go back and try again. A new Syndicate would be AWESOME.

A micromachines remake would be a great little multiplayer game, XBLAH style.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 

I thought the atmosphere in Syndicate was far better than Syndicate Wars, the colours in Syndicate Wars were just too... blue and purple.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:43 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I always found the graphics on Syndicate Wars to be very "messy" compared to the original Syndicate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:47 

That too. The lower resolutions on computers at the time meant that, to me, 3D graphics came out looking very pixelated and blocky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:58 
Can you dig it?

Not meaning to sound like an arse, but you did all press 'S' (I think it was) to toggle SVGA mode, didn't you? I thought the graphics were crap until I did that. Not that they were super brill-o afterwards, mind, but a fair bit better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:10 

Yeah, I did do that and although there was an improvement it still wasn't a patch on the original game. I've often thought that the move to 3D harms more games than it helps. In fact, the only one I can really think of that was improved was the GTA series.

Worms 3D was utter shash, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 
Honey Boo Boo

Syndicate Wars had rubbish weapons - the stupid touchy-feely electro-tickle gun for one.

It had a 'quasi-religious cult' as an enemy, which is always a bad thing.

Making money was too hard... you were expect to know to go around robbing banks and such to actually get anywhere.

The rubbish graphics engine ran terribly, looked terrible and you were constantly rotating the camera to see where you were going.

The drugs system from the original was nerfed into two virtually identical drugs (both of which just made your guys go nuts and attack everything)

Stupid, hard to destroy flying APCs would constantly appear and force you to shelter under buildings to pop out and slowly wear them down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:20 

MetalAngel wrote:
Syndicate Wars had rubbish weapons - the stupid touchy-feely electro-tickle gun for one.

Satellite Rain, however, was pure concentrated gnawesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:29 
Can you dig it?

MetalAngel wrote:
Making money was too hard... you were expect to know to go around robbing banks and such to actually get anywhere.

Stupid, hard to destroy flying APCs would constantly appear and force you to shelter under buildings to pop out and slowly wear them down.

Eeesh, I'd forgotten about those, and how whenever I had a vehicle it was always destroyed very quickly indeed, but the enemy vehicles seemed super-tough.

The nuclear hand grenades were nice and destructive too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:31 
Excellent Member

sinister agent wrote:
K240 / Fragile Allegiance. The original had me hooked for absolutely ages, both when I got it for christmas in 1994 and ten years later on WinUAE. Even the remake, Fragile Allegiance, had me playing for a long while before I realised its couple of fatal flaws (the most significant being the lack of a missile attack warning, even when two of your colonies have been totally wiped out while you were faffing about in a submenu somewhere at the other end of the sector. Grr). Shame really, as the remake was genuinely innovative with its introducion of espionage and proper trade. There's sacks of potential in it, and it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Aye yes. K240 was one of my favourite Amiga games - spent hours playing that. A bit like an electronic 'battleships' with asteroid bases and advanced resource/fleet management. Nothing like building up a fleet of battleships and fighters and sending them off to blatt a newly-discovered enemy asteroid, or watching a hail of your nuclear missiles rain down and splatter them completely...

Never played Fragile Allegiance though, or indeed the prequel Utopia.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 14:50 
Honey Boo Boo

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Eeesh, I'd forgotten about those, and how whenever I had a vehicle it was always destroyed very quickly indeed, but the enemy vehicles seemed super-tough.

Yeah, upon starting every level I'd usually go and find a building I could hide under, so when the damn things inevitably arrived I could shelter all my guys under it except one who'd pop out and shoot at it until it wore his shield down. After five minutes of utter tedium, it would crash to the ground and ANOTHER would arrive. I think there were only ever two, but still... absolute cack. So I just watched all the Ghost in the Shell (bewbs!) and Judge Dredd stuff on the billboards, and then turned the game off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 15:00 
Son of a Reaperman

I wanted to blow up buildings so badly in Syndicate Wars but I never got anywhere near far enough :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 15:08 
Honey Boo Boo

Best thing was to coax something to crash into it, like a car.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 16:02 
Can you dig it?

MetalAngel wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

Yeah, upon starting every level I'd usually go and find a building I could hide under, so when the damn things inevitably arrived I could shelter all my guys under it except one who'd pop out and shoot at it until it wore his shield down. After five minutes of utter tedium, it would crash to the ground and ANOTHER would arrive. I think there were only ever two, but still... absolute cack. So I just watched all the Ghost in the Shell (bewbs!) and Judge Dredd stuff on the billboards, and then turned the game off.

I liked the giant metal spider thingys though, they were cool.

I know what you mean about the dashing out and returning to cover - the big rocket tanks were a pain in the ass but lucily very very slow. I never did finish the game. I really wanted to but got terribly stuck on on level with a handful of tanks and a number of punk 'regiments' that would just swarm in on me. I tried setting traps, sniping, all sorts but never cleared it. Maybe I needed better weapons (I thought I had most of them, but maybe not).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 18:43 
Excellent Member

MikeB wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Aye yes. K240 was one of my favourite Amiga games - spent hours playing that. A bit like an electronic 'battleships' with asteroid bases and advanced resource/fleet management. Nothing like building up a fleet of battleships and fighters and sending them off to blatt a newly-discovered enemy asteroid, or watching a hail of your nuclear missiles rain down and splatter them completely...

Never played Fragile Allegiance though, or indeed the prequel Utopia.

Utopia was lovely, probably the strategy game i spent most time on the amiga besides King's Bounty. Amazing music as well

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 21:00 
Bad Girl

WHERE IS PSP LAST NINJA?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 21:17 
Chinny chin chin

Ian Aris wrote:
WHERE IS PSP LAST NINJA?

I never went a bundle on Last Ninja. Too fiddly. Over rated, like Rick Dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 22:00 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Tmuk wrote:
I wanted to blow up buildings so badly in Syndicate Wars but I never got anywhere near far enough :(

Give an agent a V1 chest and they can self destruct, levelling most buildings.

Sadly the effect of the self destruct wasn't quite as cool as in the original. 'course, that could just be because I liked the sound effect and it brings back pleasant memories. Also you can't do the 'surviving self-destruction' trick with medikits like you sometimes could in the first.

Utopia was nice, very pretty and had a good feel to it, but it never really grabbed me like K240 did. Can't say exactly why, mind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 22:14 
Bad Girl

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I never went a bundle on Last Ninja. Too fiddly. Over rated, like Rick Dangerous.

Comparing Rick Dangerous to The Last Ninja is akin to inciting racial hatred. Or making a slight against CUS*.

* only kidding, aye.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 22:23 

One of my most enduring memories is of hearing the "man on fire" sound effect in the Amiga version of Syndicate for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 22:29 

sinister agent wrote:
K240

total this.

K240 is pretty much why I have WinUAE installed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:13 
Honey Boo Boo

sinister agent wrote:

Give an agent a V1 chest and they can self destruct, levelling most buildings.

Sadly the effect of the self destruct wasn't quite as cool as in the original. 'course, that could just be because I liked the sound effect and it brings back pleasant memories.

How come they could put that massively powerful explosive in the agent's chest, but the actual timebombs you could buy were pitifully weak in comparison?

Not that it mattered, in the original all enemy agents carried one, leading to huge (and excellent) chain reactions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:20 
Where are you?

Ian Aris wrote:
WHERE IS PSP LAST NINJA?

Probably in the same black hole that contains the rest of System 3's 8-bit updates, bar the ropey Impossible Mission DS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:32 
Comfortably Dumb

GazChap wrote:
One of my most enduring memories is of hearing the "man on fire" sound effect in the Amiga version of Syndicate for the first time.

For me it's the 'Message' sound from Supremacy which I've got set up to announce me of new email in Thunderbird.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:35 
Excellent Member

for me its the songs that usually accompanied the crackers screen. Like that one with the pegasus and floating sinusoid letter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 16:16 

GazChap wrote:
Syndicate, and Syndicate Wars, had some really memorable sounds. I had the woman from Syndicate Wars saying "New Mail Is Awaiting Your Attention" as my new mail sound for ages.

SW was, as others have said, an unfair mess. Blowing up buildings was awesome though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 16:16 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
SW was, as others have said, an unfair mess.

Really? I thought it was most excellent. I don't remember any unfairness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 16:20 
I forgot about this - how vain

Bluce_Ree wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
K240

total this.

K240 is pretty much why I have WinUAE installed.

K240 was amazing.

I would love a WiiWare or Indie style PC remake release. No overblown budget meaning they over complicate things.

Just let me build up awesome little asteroids and then launch massive missle strikes on others.

I wish I could get WinUAE working for this :(

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 17:24 
Honey Boo Boo

You were always outnumbered in the original Syndicate, but this wasn't a problem as your weapons were nice and effective. And if you hit big problems, you could always just hide around a corner and use the flamethrower (which clipped through the corner) to set your foes alight as they lurched around it.

Syndicate Wars' weedy weapons, however, didn't seem to kill the enemies nearly quickly enough, and this was while you desperately scrambled to seek refuge under a building from yet another flying fucking APC.

I am a HUUUUUGE Syndicate fan, but after getting Syndicate Wars I played only a portion of it before giving up in disgust.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 21:05 
Can you dig it?

I found a 'CD' of syndicate wars on 'top of the wardrobe' and am currently 'cleaning the dust off it' :ninja:

I played it to the penultimate set of levels with the sydicate, I really liked it. Never really got on with playing as the churchy guys though. I can see why some didn't like it, I guess the flaws didn't bug me as much. In fact, I fucking loved it and am willing to piss about with cunting dosBOX again, for at least 30 minutes, to try and get it working on my PC. I'll report back - probably with swears.

I bought the playstation version off a mate for a fiver many many years ago, it was a real stinker in comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:52 
Peculiar, yet lovely

In a fit of ... awnting to play a good game... ness. Oh dear, this isn't a good start, is it?

Anyway, in some sort of fit, I had a crack at K240 again just now, my first for a year or two. I started with the crappy insectoid guys, thinking it probably wouldn't take more than an hour or two to wipe them out, or that it might be one of the roughly one in four times when their lack of gravity control meant they quietly destroyed themselves before I'd even found them.

Fuck me, I'd forgotten how unpredictable this game could be. Far from folding like a post office paperback, they're kicking my arse. I wasn't even sure if the hive guys had battleships at all, and they've gone and wiped out three of my asteroids with missiles, and I've just barely repulsed two battleships and a couple of bomber fleets with my swarm of skirmishers. I haven't even built my first missile yet, and they've gone so far as to take out my newly built orbital platform. All I've done is blown up a few of their outlying colones and evacuated my ore supplies back and forth as they rain nukes on my colonies. Jesus. If it hadn't been for the software failure, I don't think I'd have come out of that one alive. Man, there really needs to be a remake of this game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:41 
Goth

A First Person Manic Miner is clearly required.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 14:25 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

devilman wrote:
GazChap wrote:

For me it's the 'Message' sound from Supremacy which I've got set up to announce me of new email in Thunderbird.

Linky doo?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 16:37 
Honey Boo Boo

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I found a 'CD' of syndicate wars on 'top of the wardrobe' and am currently 'cleaning the dust off it' :ninja:

I remember PC Gamer saying that it (Syndicate Wars) had the world's best intro sequence, while the original languished in 6th or 7th place.

Which is clearly wrong. Syndicate Wars' intro is cack apart from that split second when the kickass music plays as the agents are blasting everything, while Syndicate's is excellent throughout (and was astonishingly great when first released)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 16:53 

ACTIVATE LEONARDO DEVICE

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next