All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Reinstalling Windows
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 
UltraMod

Cras wrote:
Achilles wrote:
You need to clear off your registry

Don't ever do this. The registry never needs 'cleaning'. Don't use registry cleaners - at best they'll do nothing at all, at worst they'll break something. The registry is big ass list of config settings. If there are extra settings in there that aren't needed, Windows will just ignore them.

Reinstalling Windows is often the best and quickest option. As long as you back up your data, no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:30 
Gogmagog

Future Warrior wrote:
Cras wrote:
Achilles wrote:

Don't ever do this. The registry never needs 'cleaning'. Don't use registry cleaners - at best they'll do nothing at all, at worst they'll break something. The registry is big ass list of config settings. If there are extra settings in there that aren't needed, Windows will just ignore them.

Reinstalling Windows is often the best and quickest option. As long as you back up your data, no problem.

Lots of people go through life without a backup
Get nuked? Biomass it and reroll. No second chances with these mixes. Immortality is not for everyone, it is a player choice. No back up means glory.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Future Warrior wrote:
Cras wrote:
Achilles wrote:

Ah, that's not quite what I meant. There are plenty of things you can do to clean up a tired install of windows and improve how it runs. "Cleaning the registry" isn't one of them, and was pretty much invented by ccleaner to sell junk software.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 13:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Get nuked? Biomass it and reroll. No second chances with these mixes. Immortality is not for everyone, it is a player choice. No back up means glory.

That's how to play OS on hard mode. Now that he realises they have modes Sat doesn't like them ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 15:51 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
None if you are using four, or up to four. Once you hit I7 territory and above though it tends to suffer from issues which the only fix for is a rather crude core parking hack.

It's not an issue in software that doesn't care for cores, but in certain software an I7 is considerably worse than an I5.

Windows 8 got a complete rewrite so handles multiple threads far better than 7, and also fully supports the AMD FX architecture so if you are running for example a FX 8 core you can get up to 15% more performance in highly threaded apps and games.

Not an issue unless you're a core whore like myself. My lady's rig for example runs a 8c 16t Xeon, so 8 was a must. Due to the core handling things like multi tasking are far better too :)

8 was not just 7 with an Ipad glued on like many people accused it of being. Underneath had a massive amount of work done on it also.

I turned off hyper-threading on my i7 a long time ago, many games ran worse with it enabled, in some cases quite visibly so.

One of the first and best fixes for stutter in Battlefield 4 is 'turn hyper-threading off'.

i5s are generally the CPU of choice for gaming PCs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 16:10 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:

That's how to play OS on hard mode. Now that he realises they have modes Sat doesn't like them ;)

In real life I'm entirely risk adverse. I back up to two separate hard drives each day and store them in a fireproof cabinet. And I back up to the cloud once a month.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 16:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Choose this mode if you've not used an OS before."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 16:15 
Bad Girl

Yeah, to be honest, I'm not sure what you're on about up there. Sounds good though. I definitely do some hyper-threading*.

*That's a geek euphemism for jerking off, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 16:22 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
"Choose this mode if you've not installed an OS before."

... would be better

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 17:06 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
None if you are using four, or up to four. Once you hit I7 territory and above though it tends to suffer from issues which the only fix for is a rather crude core parking hack.

It's not an issue in software that doesn't care for cores, but in certain software an I7 is considerably worse than an I5.

Windows 8 got a complete rewrite so handles multiple threads far better than 7, and also fully supports the AMD FX architecture so if you are running for example a FX 8 core you can get up to 15% more performance in highly threaded apps and games.

Not an issue unless you're a core whore like myself. My lady's rig for example runs a 8c 16t Xeon, so 8 was a must. Due to the core handling things like multi tasking are far better too :)

8 was not just 7 with an Ipad glued on like many people accused it of being. Underneath had a massive amount of work done on it also.

I turned off hyper-threading on my i7 a long time ago, many games ran worse with it enabled, in some cases quite visibly so.

One of the first and best fixes for stutter in Battlefield 4 is 'turn hyper-threading off'.

i5s are generally the CPU of choice for gaming PCs.

Yeah that was a quick fix for the Battlefield games :)

Thing is BF3 supports up to six cores and BF4 8, so those games were among the 'up to 10% faster' brigade.

I personally love Windows 8.1. The tablet and store crap are easily bypassed and thanks to the hard coded hibernate function it boots so quick. It is bigger though, and deleting hiberfil does bugger it somewhat but I absolutely love it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 23:25 

I just had a hard drive fail on me, after just over one year of service. The WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic claims everything is fine, but that clearly isn't the case since the drive suddenly makes rasping noises and enters into fits of being super slow. Don't buy WD Greens, they are silent, but shit. I haven't actually encountered any errors as such, so God knows what's going on, but I have unplugged it for the time being until I get another 3TB drive to copy everything to, if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:52 
Can you dig it?

It's not something that I'd want to do often, but I do quite like that new windows feeling, without all the clutter and accumulated junk. I think the last time I did a windows installation was around 3 years ago when I put an SSD in my laptop.

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2