Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 16:23 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44896
Location: The erogenous zone
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... p200-stick

Looks good! I'll wait till it's £20 though, with more games.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 16:24 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 31833
Oh shit, that's cool as piss


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 16:24 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12377
Aliens v Predator!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 23:37 
User avatar
Sitting balls-back folder

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9072
Quote:
Capcom Home Arcade stick
CHAS.

Digital Arcade Via Emulation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:05 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 11950
Is that good? It's like, stuff we've been playing in MAME for 15 years* or more, except it costs £200.

*20 years? CPS 1/2 have been in MAME for a long time, and before that there was an emulator just for CPS, the name of which escapes me.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52494
Location: Liberty City
You tight bastard

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:47 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 11950
It's not even the cost that bothers me, it's the paucity of games and the fact that it's another bit of kit cluttering up the place, plus it's just emulation anyway so it's not like we're getting some sort of original hardware experience. Yes it's nice to have proper sticks and buttons I suppose, but I've never really had a problem using a gamepad, and MAME supports my wireless 360 pad just fine.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3636
Assuming this follows the same pattern as all the other retro hardware, it’ll be about a fortnight before someone figures out how to bypass protection and add extra games. Then £200 for a MAME machine with top quality arcade controls looks very appealing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:58 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12377
You’re basically paying for the sticks, sure, but come on, proper Hori fighting sticks are, like, over £100 a piece anyway. And you’re getting two of them here and a bunch of classic games. And Progear...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52494
Location: Liberty City
Satsuma wrote:
You’re basically paying for the sticks, sure, but come on, proper Hori fighting sticks are, like, over £100 a piece anyway. And you’re getting two of them here and a bunch of classic games. And Progear...

He’s just tight don’t worry

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44896
Location: The erogenous zone
Thought the 240fps would have won him over to be honest.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:19 
User avatar
Excellent Painter

Joined: 30th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6657
Location: Behind you
Zardoz wrote:
Thought the 240fps would have won him over to be honest.

I thought it was the lack of wheels

_________________
twitter || website
Malibu Stacy. Everybody's favourite back seat driver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:25 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20528
I'll pay £190 if I can get it without any soundtracks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10567
Location: Sunny Stoke
Hearthly wrote:
It's not even the cost that bothers me, it's the paucity of games and the fact that it's another bit of kit cluttering up the place, plus it's just emulation anyway so it's not like we're getting some sort of original hardware experience. Yes it's nice to have proper sticks and buttons I suppose, but I've never really had a problem using a gamepad, and MAME supports my wireless 360 pad just fine.


It does have online leaderboards, so I suppose at least that part is different from the usual emulators. Although that might also be the reason why Capcom have included so few games in this, as I imagine each title would need some custom work doing to it.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13441
FYI a lot of these things already exist - if you google "Pandora's key" or Pandora's box you'll find them on Ebay and on Amazon - however they tend to use a low powered CPU and stuff the system with a crazy amount of games that are basically the same (so they can say they have 1200 games - yes but they have 30+ variants of SF2)

Examples

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wisamic-Pandor ... 7265&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yunt-Classic-A ... ids&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waroomss-Pando ... M815P0P3TJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MTHJBQY/ ... 356e6fd336

The fact this is Capcom themselves doing it is good (as they actually own the rights to the games) - and its much more likely they will get the emulation 'right' - and the answer for Hearthy is that he's not really the target audience here - he knows how to setup and run MAME and its weird conflicts and problems and thats fine - however lots of people dont and if you show them this - tell them its the *real* arcade (which is will be) then I think it will find an audience.

And yes - someone will hack it and get other stuff on it although that may just be other Final Burn Alpha titles rather than all of MAME (at least to begin with)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15023
Location: Parts unknown
I really like the idea of this but I don't like the price...

I shall keep an eye on it and I've no doubt that my habit of buying things I don't need will make sure I have one of these before too long.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44896
Location: The erogenous zone
TheVision wrote:
I really like the idea of this but I don't like the price...

:this: It's always :this:
:this:

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66210
Location: Your Mum
zaphod79 wrote:
FYI a lot of these things already exist - if you google "Pandora's key" or Pandora's box you'll find them on Ebay and on Amazon - however they tend to use a low powered CPU and stuff the system with a crazy amount of games that are basically the same (so they can say they have 1200 games - yes but they have 30+ variants of SF2)

We have one of those in our office.

CPU-wise I've never noticed it doing anything it shouldn't. And it doesn't have 30+ variants of SF2 - it has 17 ;)

(It does have 31 versions of King of Fighters, though!)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The King of Fighters 97
The King of Fighters 98
The King of Fighters 99
The King of Fighters 2000
The King of Fighters 2001
The King of Fighters 2002
The King of Fighters 2003
The King of Fighters 10Th Unique II
The King of Fighters 2002 Magic II
The King of Fighters 2002 Super
The King of Fighters 2004 Ultra Plus
The King of Fighters 97 Plus
The King of Fighters 94
The King of Fighters 95
The King of Fighters 96
The King of Fighters 2002 ICE BLUE
The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate
The King of Fighters 98 Ultra Leona
The King of Fighters 99+
The King of Fighters 99 Combo
The King of Fighters 99 Boss
The King of Fighters 99 Ultra Plus
The King of Fighters 2000 Plus
The King of Fighters 2001 Plus
The King of Fighters 2002 Magic
The King of Fighters 2004 Hero
The King of Fighters 95+
The King of Fighters 96+
The King of Fighters 97 Plus 2003
The King of Fighters 2002 Plus
The King of Fighters 10Th Extra Plus

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:01 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15023
Location: Parts unknown
They are all totally unique games in their own right....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:13 

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 1656
BikNorton wrote:
Quote:
Capcom Home Arcade stick
CHAS.

Digital Arcade Via Emulation.

Hearthly wrote:
Is that good? It's like, stuff we've been playing in MAME for 15 years* or more, except it costs £200.

*20 years? CPS 1/2 have been in MAME for a long time, and before that there was an emulator just for CPS, the name of which escapes me.

Ain't no pleasing you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7433
Hearthly wrote:
Is that good? It's like, stuff we've been playing in MAME for 15 years* or more, except it costs £200.

*20 years? CPS 1/2 have been in MAME for a long time, and before that there was an emulator just for CPS, the name of which escapes me.

Final Burn Alpha. The emulator that this is using.

Possibly without permission to do so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:39 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13441
Grim... wrote:
CPU-wise I've never noticed it doing anything it shouldn't.


It very much depends on the version

- *All* of them have some audio glitches for some games (but its generally minor)
- Virtually all of them have some screen tearing issues for some games which scroll quickly (Wonderboy is the one I've seen the most problems with)
- Some of them (the 4 and early 5's) added Sega games but they just dont run (if your one has outrun on it check that because that typically plays badly if at all)
- Some higher end games (Mortal Kombat onwards) tend to have some speed / slowdown issues

For most people your back to 'its good enough' - and if you dont notice problems with it then great !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66210
Location: Your Mum
I will try Wonderboy today and report back! No Outrun on our one, but I didn't notice a problem when I played MK, but I'm probably mostly comparing that to the Amiga version.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:22 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10567
Location: Sunny Stoke
zaphod79 wrote:
Grim... wrote:
CPU-wise I've never noticed it doing anything it shouldn't.


It very much depends on the version

- *All* of them have some audio glitches for some games (but its generally minor)
- Virtually all of them have some screen tearing issues for some games which scroll quickly (Wonderboy is the one I've seen the most problems with)
- Some of them (the 4 and early 5's) added Sega games but they just dont run (if your one has outrun on it check that because that typically plays badly if at all)
- Some higher end games (Mortal Kombat onwards) tend to have some speed / slowdown issues

For most people your back to 'its good enough' - and if you dont notice problems with it then great !


I've owned three variations so far -

1) Used Pandora's Box 3 - worked pretty well, but sold it on to buy..
2) Pandora's Box 4 - the nicest one I've had; the build quality was good and it had more games (although Mortal Kombat ran poorly), but I've passed that on to my brother to save space and then bought a single-joystick..
3) Pandora's Box 5 - as you mentioned, this has some Sega games on it, but they run horrifically.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:31 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13441
I have a 'bootleg' (they are all sorta bootlegs anyway) 5S+ - it has the poor quality SEGA games on there and also a number of straight duplicates (claims 1099 games)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 31833
LewieP wrote:
Final Burn Alpha. The emulator that this is using.

Possibly without permission to do so.

The irony of emulator authors getting salty about emulators being used without licensing is not lost on me, no matter that they are probably legally correct. We all know the emulation scene couldn't meaningfully exist without bootleg ROMs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:44 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7433
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Final Burn Alpha. The emulator that this is using.

Possibly without permission to do so.

The irony of emulator authors getting salty about emulators being used without licensing is not lost on me, no matter that they are probably legally correct. We all know the emulation scene couldn't meaningfully exist without bootleg ROMs.


I can see where you're coming from, but I'm more on the side of emulator developers here. It's for general good that people can release stuff for free on non-commercial licenses, and especially given that Capcom are charging £200, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to properly license any software they use, or if there is no suitable software they can license they should develop their own emulation solutions (like what Nintendo and Sega have done for microconsoles etc).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Capcom Home Arcade
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:58 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 11950
I only play the games where I have dumped the ROMs from my own personal collection, so as to be morally unimpeachable.

Attachment:
arcaders.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Mr Chonks, TheVision and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.