Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
through the eyes of a cannibal
I don't think we've mentioned that Bloodbourne 2 has been revealed (sort of) in this tiny video:

I AM APLEASED
Well, that's because it's not exactly guaranteed to be bloodborne 2. It'd typically be expected for there to be some sony branding if it were. And Bloodborne wasn't exactly noted for its being full of cursive chinese characters...
I bet you £10 having to complete it using only a whip that it is.
Although if it's a Tenchu sequel I'll be very pleased, too (although there's already a Tenchu 2, so the "Shadows die twice" bit wouldn't make sense.
Grim... wrote:

You're on.
Grim... wrote:

Now you have to complete it with only a whip.

WHIP WHIP WHIP

That looks all kinds of awesome!
What if there's no whip?
Grim... wrote:
What if there's no whip?

Then you're going to have a mighty hard time completing it. You'd best hope there's a summoning mechanic.
But we already have Nioh.
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
What if there's no whip?

Then you're going to have a mighty hard time completing it. You'd best hope there's a summoning mechanic.

According to a 4Chan leak there’s no co-op, but invaders can take control of an enemy.
Oh dear, best hope there's a whip then.
This will be pretty cheap by the time I've finished DS1, 2 and 3.
Ok, so the Japanese site has a whole story section, handily provided as an image, so text...
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
隻腕の狼、戦国に忍ぶ

時は戦国。
雪深い峠を越えた先に、葦名の国はある。
「剣聖」葦名一心が、
わずか一代で国盜りをして興した、
北国の雄である。
だが、その葦名は存亡の危機にあった。

一心の孫である 葦名の将は、窮状を憂い、
自らの手勢に密かに告げた。
「もはや、寄せ手から葦名を守るための、
尋常の術はい」
「今こそ、あの星子が必要だ」

かくて星子 囚われとなる。
星子と言うが、その身は天涯孤独。
家族も家臣も、なにもない。
ただ一人の忍びを除いては…。

これは、寄る辺なき、
孤独な主従の物語である。

Which roughly translates to
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Satsuma is a dick.

P.S. There are no whips

I think it's fair to say that this is going to be somewhat less obtuse than Dark Souls.
I’ve played the demo for this and can confirm:

1) It’s going to be brilliant.

2) It’s a mix between Dark Souls and Bloodborne. There’s an evade button but the dash is a bit slower than Bloodborne. There’s a block button too. But then again the combat relies (well, on the bigger enemies) on parrying again.

3) Not entirely sure but I reckon it’s a 60FPS - played it on an Xbox One X, mind, the worlds most powerful console in the known universe. The graphics were typically Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne level of nice looking. It did look a lot like Nioh though.

4) The grapple is super smooth and you can grapple between grapples, ifyagetsme, but it’s restricted to areas that get this green circle on them. So you might want to grapple up a wall and even though it looks entirely doable if you ain’t getting the green circle then you ain’t grappling. That was a bit disappointing, but keeping it to highlighted points does make it fast and clean. You must keep banging on the left trigger and you’re zipping about.

5) There’s a stealth mechanic, for some reason. You get these arrows that point in the direction of whoever is looking at you. The arrow goes yellow to red when you prop someone. I didn’t like it much but I wasn’t trying to stealth my way anywhere.

6) Further to the stealth mechanic, I managed to run through areas to get to where I died just like all the other Soulsborne game.

7) When you die you can resurrect, up to a point. And not just once, or twice either. I couldn’t work out how I was resurrecting so many times and others I just went back to the start of the demo. Meh.

To summarise: It’s not going to be significantly different from the other games, but it will be a bit different. Either way, it’s almost guaranteed to be awesome. Hype Train Activate!
Can we change the thread title perhaps?
8) There is no whip. Grim... is going to suffer in his whip only playthrough

WHIP WHIP WHIP
My own thoughts just from watching that demo video:

I quite liked the stealth mechanic. I like stealth in general so I'm probably biased, but Bloodborne sort of had stealth already (in that if you walked up slowly behind someone you got a free visceral), it just wasn't a proper system. All they've done here is properly codify it.

Similarly, I like the way they've made the jump stab a proper mechanic. It's now more like Dishonored or whatever where it's a real thing rather than just being a bit of a throwaway.

I couldn't get a handle on the combat just from watching. I got the sense it was based on like blocking or striking at a certain time in the enemy attack, but it wasn't at all obvious just from watching it what was actually going on there.

I'm very bleh about the samurai setting. One of the major things that ensured Bloodborne grabbed me was the aesthetic. There was just something unique and incredibly compelling about the world; with its gothic architecture and the subtle horror of the enemy design and level hazards. With Nioh already being a thing--and a comparatively boring thing to boot--this whole concept just isn't doing shit for me. Hopefully it'll get more fantastic and bonkers as things progress, but it's not a great start.
Inb4: Sat tells me my opinions don't matter because I didn't finish Bloodborne.
Also, yes, @Grim... Can we change the thread title?

And do we actually have a member called "grim... and Cras"? Or if that just a special sexy lookup for you two when someone types the @ symbol?
We can change the thread title. What would you like it changing to?
TheVision wrote:

Ta. The main thread title should be "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice" because we now know that's the actual name of the game. The subtitle is up for comedy nominations as usual; the current one serves pretty well!
TheVision wrote:

Segue of violence: a modern retrospective on the futility of the gaming genre, through the eyes of a cannibal coconut
There you go. I've used Troopers title as the subtitle but the majority of it wouldn't fit. I think that what's in there is pretty self explanatory though.
TheVision wrote:
There you go. I've used Troopers title as the subtitle but the majority of it wouldn't fit. I think that what's in there is pretty self explanatory though.

Awesome, thanks dude.
Bamba wrote:
Also, yes, @Grim... Can we change the thread title?

And do we actually have a member called "grim... and Cras"? Or if that just a special sexy lookup for you two when someone types the @ symbol?

There was a game of 'post 1 to 25 in order' that we attempted to 'game' with the intention of posting 25 as that account. Only there was a totally unforseeable betrayal.
A bit more detail about the mechanics in this Engadget article:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/23/sek ... interview/

The 'Resurrection' mechanic is such that you'll always gets one chance to revive with half your health the first time you're killed. If, during that revival, you kill the enemy that took you down though then you get your revive back again; which is quite a nice idea.

There's quite a lot of other stuff in there that's a departure from previous games so it's worth reading the whole article.
TGS trailer looks aces too.

Looks stunning.
Dat, ledgy heel grabby ting
2019 is shaping up to be awesome!

Devil May Cry 5 this week!
Then Sekiro on 22 March! It’s, like, ALMOST HERE!
Then Game of Thrones in April!
Then John Wick 3 in May!

FUCK.
Lunch trailer:

...I've lost some excitement over this due to PSVR changing the chemical imbalances in my brain.
The first review score I've seen (albeit marked as 'in progress'):

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/sekiro ... 0-6417107/

I like the sound of the stealth and being able to approach areas in different ways, but the exacting timing needed to parry all the attacks of tougher enemies just sounds annoying.
Reddit has a thread for reviews: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... d/.compact

It sounds like it doesn’t disappoint.
It looks really good, but Bloodborne was such a monumental effort and I basically abandoned Dark Souls at the Taurus demon because I couldn’t face another similar challenge, so it’ll probably never happen.
I loved BB, really liked DS3, never finished DS1 and never played DS2.

I R THIKKLE
I loved Bloodborne and DS3, but I just don't fancy this. I'd much rather have Bloodborne 2.
I’ll get it when it drops probably.
I imagine I'll get it late May.
When Teresa's dead, good shout.
Page 1 of 3 [ 141 posts ]