Stardew Valley
This is great. That is all.
Giphy "i just had sex":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/xDSC03VsYLPnq/giphy-loop.mp4
I've come very close to buying this a couple of times, I've sent a link to the trailer to Mrs Hearthly as she's getting maxed out on WoW at the moment until the next expansion arrives in August.

I'll finish Burny Pee Remastered first, no point getting a load of unplayed games stacked up on another platform....

My only concern with Stardew Valley is it seems to be a bit 'busywork' focused rather than actual meaty game.
There is a bit of busywork in there, but it reveals its delights so nicely with incentives, without making you grind away to get to them, that it's really just lovely.

Two game years in and I'm not quite sure what I'm up to there any more, but I still check in and play a day or two regularly.
Jem loves it, but I can't be getting on with it. Which is kind of odd, because I normally love "open ended" games where there's no particular goal.
zomg

my farm at last upload: https://upload.farm/1C0YWU

although all of my time is on the switch version lately

:3
Jem wrote:
my farm at last upload: https://upload.farm/1C0YWU

Jesus Christ the state of this, I think I have one villager at three hearts and about 100 crops (which is too many for a copper can and no sprinklers, I have discovered).
Well Mrs Hearthly is playing it now on her PC and Jnr seems interested, so we will see.

The music is very nice.
It starts very slow and seems very simple at first. This is deceptive, do not fall for it. The game systems gradually unfold beneath you.

Also it gives you very little guidance in general, and you can make quite big mistakes entirely by accident. Nothing game losing -- you can't really lose and can recover from almost any decisions you regret given time -- but I still found it stressful not to know what was what so (against the common advice) I skimmed some guides and things after a few hours to make sure I hadn't missed anything huge and to help me decide which direction I wanted to take things in. I think the right answer here depends on your personality. Most people will probably enjoy it more if they discover stuff at their own pace, some (like me) will benefit from some light nudges so they don't fret about doing the wrong stuff.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It starts very slow and seems very simple at first. This is deceptive, do not fall for it. The game systems gradually unfold beneath you.

Also it gives you very little guidance in general, and you can make quite big mistakes entirely by accident. Nothing game losing -- you can't really lose and can recover from almost any decisions you regret given time -- but I still found it stressful not to know what was what so (against the common advice) I skimmed some guides and things after a few hours to make sure I hadn't missed anything huge and to help me decide which direction I wanted to take things in. I think the right answer here depends on your personality. Most people will probably enjoy it more if they discover stuff at their own pace, some (like me) will benefit from some light nudges so they don't fret about doing the wrong stuff.

Yeah, my 3rd/4th/billionth :DD run through I was definitely more productive earlier on etc
I finally have a decent (~10 bars) supply of iron!
Still hoping it to be discounted in the switch store..
Lovely game.

One important point - there are 28 days in each season. Many people seem to miss this, even though there's a calendar outside Pierre's and the NPCs also tell you. If you're not aware of this and you plant your crops expecting there to be 30 or 31 days then you'll lose your crops on the first day of the next season.

So remember, it's 28 days per season. And there are four seasons. Okay? :)
Soooo I've somehow played almost forty hours of this. I'm in spring of year two and I've got the greenhouse and a few animals and about 60k in gold to buy cool stuff (like blueberries for the greenhouse) and I've bottomed out the mines.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I've bottomed out the mines.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The first mines
Yeah, I know. Can't get to
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the desert
yet.
Mrs Hearthly is dipping in and out of this but she's locked into a fearsome reputation grind on not only her WoW account, but also Jnr's WoW account, as Jnr has delegated the task of doing it on her account to Mrs Hearthly.

When she plays Stardew Valley she enjoys it, but she's not made the commitment required to my mind.
Hearthly wrote:
she's not made the commitment required to my mind.

Committing to your mind is a risky proposition, we only get a tiny glimpse into what goes on in there and even that's terrifying.
How do you think I feel? I have to live in here.
Hearthly wrote:
How do you think I feel?

At a guess: like buying a new car.
Mr Dave wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
How do you think I feel?

At a guess: like buying a new car.

Ha! Which reminded me of this wonder from Cheers:

Quote:
Woody Boyd:
How would a beer feel, Mr. Peterson?

Norm Peterson:
Pretty nervous when I'm in the room.
1.3 beta came out this week which includes support for multiplayer (PC only at the second)

Some nice little additions in this version aside from the multiplayer include an autograbber which milks your cows & goats. I assumed I'd need one per animal (at a cost of 20,000g IIRC) so bought 10 ... turns out you only need one per barn :'(
Build more barns.

HTH HAND
Thanks Jem! Didn't know about it, nor did I know it wouldn't be added automatically (instructions at https://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-v1-3-beta/), but it is downloading for me to have a look at right now. Steam users (i.e. inc. Mac).
I know nothing about this game, but reading the thread makes it sound a lot like Farmville:D
It's a lot like harvest moon,if you've played that.
It's still a lot like harvest moon even if you haven't played it, but the comparison is less useful to you.
It's a lot like Dishonored in that Mrs Hearthly bought it on her Steam account and then didn't play it very much because she's a WoW addict and is currently playing on both her own and Jnr's WoW account.

That comparison may be even less useful than Mr Dave's.
Jem wrote:
Some nice little additions in this version aside from the multiplayer ...

Also this excellence

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/ ... k_one_and/
They must have nicked that from Persona5. Tch.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jem wrote:
Some nice little additions in this version aside from the multiplayer ...

Also this excellence

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/ ... k_one_and/

OH DANG :DD
We might have a problem.
My sister and I have created a new farm and set a challenge - first one to complete the community centre wins. She agreed to this, and then reminded me that she only works part time hours and has no other responsibilities.

I somehow have to beat her anyway. ?:|
I got the game Saturday evening. I'm almost at the end of the first year. This weekend was a complete write-off.

I can't do fishing at all. Controlling the little floaty thing to land a fish appears completely beyond my skills.
Cras wrote:
I can't do fishing at all. Controlling the little floaty thing to land a fish appears completely beyond my skills.

It took me AGES to get used to the fishing, although I'm pretty good now. :D Gentle taps/clicks/whatever to keep the bar behind the fish icon rather than pressing and holding work better for me. Some fish are just impossible to catch until you reach a certain level though.
On PS4, tapping seems to do nothing. Only holding down the button does anything then the bar rockets all over the place. I'm clearly doing something wrong and shall experiment further.
I've got the hang of fishing on the PS4 now, so it's your spazzy hands.
I am four items away from completing the bundles. One of them is a poppy. Poppies grow in summer. It's fall. Argh.
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I am four items away from completing the bundles. One of them is a poppy. Poppies grow in summer. It's fall. Argh.

Poppies come up on the travelling cart sometimes.
Jem wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Poppies come up on the travelling cart sometimes.

Oh, I know, I’m there all the time now.
I’m watching MrsDoc play and wow: Hell is other people’s Stardew Valley chest organisation.
I am in winter of year two. All bundles complete. Lifetime earnings at 1.4 million ish. I have a greenhouse full of Ancient Fruit, and two sheds of kegs turning them into wine. I just got a Slime Hutch and just bought the last house upgrade. I have all the animals. I need more iridium for a full sprinkler setup for next spring, though.

Approx 60 hours playtime. Jesus, this game is a thing.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I’m watching MrsDoc play and wow: Hell is other people’s Stardew Valley chest organisation.

Colour me curious :D
Jem wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Colour me curious :D

It's not bad or anything. It's just not exactly the same as how I've done it!
I generally have a chest per item type. So one for seeds, one for fish, one for misc materials (clay, wood, stone, fibre), food stuffs, mining stuff (ore, gems etc), then in my 'big' game I have chests for gold quality items and iridium quality items (1 of each).

I really wish you could upgrade the fridge so that you could store all of the food in there.
Does food go off?
Jem wrote:
I generally have a chest per item type. So one for seeds, one for fish, one for misc materials (clay, wood, stone, fibre), food stuffs, mining stuff (ore, gems etc), then in my 'big' game I have chests for gold quality items and iridium quality items (1 of each).
I'm converging on this design, spent some time yesterday moving things around and splitting out some generic "crops" chests into "fruit," "veg", and "forage/flowers." Additionally, I have small areas marked out with flooring eg. one where I have cheese presses / mayo machines / looms and a chest that stores the inputs and outputs of those processes. Although I mostly sell the outputs, and just keep a small stash.

I've done all the bundles now, I'm concentrating on iridium (I have a paltry four iridium sprinklers and only 2x tools upgraded) and friendships.

Quote:
I really wish you could upgrade the fridge so that you could store all of the food in there.
:this:
Page 1 of 3 [ 116 posts ]