Things that annoy me
...but shouldn’t, really.
When people call Ibuprofen, Ibufen.
People on social media using ‘then’ when they mean ‘than.’
Warhead wrote:

Nurses in hospitals say it like that in Liverpool. I have to bite my lip.
The sound of people eating apples. It never bothered me before, ever, in my life. But Radcliffe and Maconie did a piece last year on their show very much along the lines of this thread, in radio format, asking for submissions from their listeners. One of the submissions was the sound of people eating apples, which I thought was daft, but then it got me thinking about it.

Since then, whenever Mrs Hearthly eats an apple, I have to leave the room and find something else to do until she's finished. I haven't said anything to her about it as it's clearly fucking stupid and entirely not her fault.
Hearthly wrote:
The sound of people eating apples..

Heh. I find hearing someone eat crisps in the seat behind me on a train or bus mildly irritating too. I, of course, probably annoy the person in the row in front by doing the same, and on and on until the end of the universe. Or at least the toilet.
When my coworker heats up naan bread by putting it on top of the toaster and switching it on. It just bugs the hell out of me and I don't know why.
Men wearing hats or caps indoors. Still annoying me after all these years.
Plastic cutlery
Not knowing if a café is table service or not and having to choose between going up to the counter or sitting down expectedly.
DavPaz wrote:
Plastic cutlery

Maybe if you acted like a grown up you'd get treated like one.
DavPaz wrote:
When my coworker heats up naan bread by putting it on top of the toaster and switching it on. It just bugs the hell out of me and I don't know why.

I used to have a toaster that had a little pop up rack for warming naan, rolls and similar, in exactly that manner.
The way my mother in law says Tuna.
TheVision wrote:

Toon-a?
The way American sports refer to a team as a single entity.

"Colorado is dominating!"
DavPaz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Toon-a?

Spot on.
TheVision wrote:

One day, your wife will say it like that too.
The way Americans call a see-saw "teeder-todder".
Eating chips on the beach
Small clock towers on buildings
Warhead wrote:

This, but also people who just say “boo-fen”.
"Brufen" is the term that most doctors I know seem to use to refer to it. I think that's a bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover since it's a brand name version of the same thing.
DavPaz wrote:

People who say naan bread.
markg wrote:
"Brufen" is the term that most doctors I know seem to use to refer to it. I think that's a bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover since it's a brand name version of the same thing.

My husband tried coaching my son on this, because ‘we don’t have a Hoover’. Except we DO have a Hoover branded vacuum, so he is wrong.

I’m pretty sure he’s also baffled by the number of things I refer to as ‘the machine’. I get that off my man who referred to the washing machine and sewing machine simply as ‘the machine’. Like most intelligent people I always knew which she was referring to due to context, but Russell can’t do this for some reason.
DavPaz wrote:

That is technically correct tho.
Curiosity wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Aye.
Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Aye.

No.
Mimi wrote:
I’m pretty sure he’s also baffled by the number of things I refer to as ‘the machine’. I get that off my man who referred to the washing machine and sewing machine simply as ‘the machine’. Like most intelligent people I always knew which she was referring to due to context, but Russell can’t do this for some reason.

'The Machine' summons up images of dry ice, strobe lighting, and metallic evilness.
Small cars parked deep inside parking spots.

Slow walkers in fucking narrow corridors

Fucking ivy

People who talk to me when I'm wearing headphones

School kids dropping litter

The way that singer says "flay-aaaa-hames" in that song I've just heard

Me. I annoy me today. Perfect day for this thread.
BrE uses plurals for sports teams and AmE uses singular. Both are correct depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on.
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

People who say naan bread.

Have to, or the kids might scoop up curry with their grandmother
See also: chai tea.
Lonewolves wrote:
BrE uses plurals for sports teams and AmE uses singular. Both are correct depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on.

It doesn't matter. The thread is things that annoy. It annoys me.
People who get annoyed by cultural differences
Mimi wrote:
I get that off my man who referred to the washing machine and sewing machine simply as ‘the machine’. Like most intelligent people I always knew which she was referring to due to context, but Russell can’t do this for some reason.

How many men do you have?
Lonewolves wrote:

Good one.
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Good one.

Have I made the list yet?
People referring to 'Prime Minister May'. It's 'the Prime Minister, Theresa May' .
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Good one.

You *are* the list bucko.

*sharpens AR-15*
Kern wrote:
People referring to 'Prime Minister May'. It's 'the Prime Minister, Theresa May' .

That's a symptom of people viewing the Premiership as a presidency, I feel. But yes, annoying.
Schoolchildren having 'proms' rather than 'balls'.
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Good one.

No, because this list is for things people might be surprised to learn annoy others.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Good one.

No, because this list is for things people might be surprised to learn annoy others.

:DD
MrsA's need to look at at least 5 tins of tomatos before selecting one at the supermarket. She cannot see inside, all the labels are uniform so what is the fucking point?
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Good one.

Boom !
Kern wrote:
Schoolchildren having 'proms' rather than 'balls'.

Disco!
Relatedly... 'graduating' from primary school.
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Good one.

I almost said this myself. :)
DavPaz wrote:

Nursery I have looked at 'graduates' to primary school.

I have mixed feelings about it, it is a milestone and maybe should be marked in some way, but I am unsure that doing it this way is, well, right really.
This annoys me more than it should. Not being able to spell 'rogue' is one thing, but when you've got it right in front of you...

It also bugged me that Out Run became OutRun in the later games.
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Nursery I have looked at 'graduates' to primary school.

I have mixed feelings about it, it is a milestone and maybe should be marked in some way, but I am unsure that doing it this way is, well, right really.

'Toby only got a 3rd in fingerpainting, but that's sufficient to get into year 1 geography'.
Page 1 of 7 [ 317 posts ]