Altered Carbon TV show
WOOO WOOOOOOOOO
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'm up to date with Discovery and I don't like it as much as I like Altered Carbon.

I wish you'd make up your mind
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Also the Klingon makeup is woeful.

As in not to your aesthetics or poorly applied?

Both, I think. For instance, the Big Bad Chosen One in Ep 1 and 2 looked like someone with sparkly body paint on - it was embarrassing. But also, the Klingon forehead is not there. None of these guys or gals look like they're related to Wharff.
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Both, I think. For instance, the Big Bad Chosen One in Ep 1 and 2 looked like someone with sparkly body paint on - it was embarrassing. But also, the Klingon forehead is not there. None of these guys or gals look like they're related to Wharff.

Worf* doesn't look like he's related to anyone in TOS either. And the reboot films are different again. You seriously think Cornish pasty foreheads are the definitive Klingon look?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
So it's not great then. Good to know

It's not going to win over people who don't like this kind of thing. Kinnamen is a bit weak and its very, very densely packed, to the point where I'm sure it's put a lot of people off. I'm enjoying it a lot, however, because cyberpunk technoir is extremely on-brand for me, and I love the book, and there's plenty in the adaptation that is good.

I'm probably one of those people. I'd not heard of the book, so everything in the trailer was new to me. If it had been a film, rather than a series, I'd have probably given it a go.
Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I'm up to date with Discovery and I don't like it as much as I like Altered Carbon.

Subjectively I am enjoying Altered Carbon but I can concede that objectively it has flaws that others might find more bothersome than I do.
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

Worf* doesn't look like he's related to anyone in TOS either. And the reboot films are different again. You seriously think Cornish pasty foreheads are the definitive Klingon look?

No, but this isn't it. It looks painfully, transparently like makeup. That's the problem.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Subjectively I am enjoying Altered Carbon but I can concede that objectively it has flaws that others might find more bothersome than I do.

I am the least-critical person I know when it comes to watching science fiction, at least on first watching. It's got to be terrible for me to switch off.
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:

No, but this isn't it. It looks painfully, transparently like makeup. That's the problem.

Fair enough - I think they look great. Watching whole scenes acted in Klingon was more painful to me, but luckily that doesn't happen much outside of the first couple of episodes.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
So it's not great then. Good to know

It's not going to win over people who don't like this kind of thing. Kinnamen is a bit weak and its very, very densely packed, to the point where I'm sure it's put a lot of people off. I'm enjoying it a lot, however, because cyberpunk technoir is extremely on-brand for me, and I love the book, and there's plenty in the adaptation that is good.

I completely disagree on Kinnamen. Other than one section
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the virtual torture
I think he nails the role.
No, I think he was passable there. He's still unimpressive overall.
Episode 7. I am enjoying it more per episode.
Just finished EP8.

There is a lot of naked kov sister.. It seems to be very close to the book, as far as I can remember the book
Finally finished. I really enjoyed that..

Will read the book again
Yeah, that was great.

Poor Poe :(
Yes. He did well....
So I wasn't all that impressed with this. It was okay and all; but some of the acting was ropey, it didn't always explain itself very well and a lot of the plot points later on were pure soap opera. Bear in mind that I have read the book but it was a stupidly long time ago and I remember practically nothing about it so I'm judging the TV series entirely on it's own merits.
Half way through now. It's very good but misses the mark for me in places. It strays to some nice places away from the book, I'll give it that.

I find some of the dialogue mumbled in places, nit sure if that's just my age though :D

Was delighted to see
Max Headroom as Carnage. Perfect casting.
Not read the book. Watched the first two episodes. I like the concept but it's a bit of a Bladerunner rip-off. Plus loads of nudity for no reason, which doesn't offend me but makes me cringe a bit.

I'm happy to continue.
To me the nudity in some cases served to show how much of a 'shell' people considered their bodies in this new future. Not giving a shit about nudity demonstrates a certain amount of disconnection from your body (in this context).
Lonewolves wrote:
Not read the book. Watched the first two episodes. I like the concept but it's a bit of a Bladerunner rip-off. Plus loads of nudity for no reason, which doesn't offend me but makes me cringe a bit.

I'm happy to continue.

Ok then, take your vest off.
We got about two episodes into this and haven’t felt any desire to carry on after our break to watch the Olympics.

A ringing endorsement so far... :(
That was a lot of identical naked ladies getting shot there in episode 8.
Up to episode 5 now. It's got better, quite enjoying it.
Lonewolves wrote:
Up to episode 5 now. It's got better, quite enjoying it.

:this:

I had terrible trouble staying awake during episode 2, but managed to get through it on the third attempt, but it has indeed got better.
It was pretty good in the end.
I agree with Bamba it failed to explain what was going on very well a lot of the time. Seemed very rushed as well at the end, given the slow pace of the middle episodes. Can't really remember the book, so unsure how representative it was, but it was all right.
I can’t remember the book either, and I definitely don’t remember the revelation about Rei that was in the penultimate episode. It just seemed like a typical overdone ‘shock’ plot twist that I found annoying, but at least it didn’t have a really stupid ending in the finale.
Season two is out on the 27th feb
I was so excited for this, and now I'm just "meh".
It looks like they are doing a version of Woken Furies, but have lifted some elements from Broken Angels too.
I’d have preferred they stick to the books or do something entirely new but I’ll still watch.
I only saw it advertised yesterday.. I hope it is as good as the first
You should hope it is better. Why settle?
MaliA wrote:
A question MrsA surely asks herself on the regular.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Put those matches down. And that petrol...
DBSnappa wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Put those matches down. And that petrol...

MaliA is hot enough as it is
Page 3 of 3 [ 135 posts ]