Altered Carbon TV show
WOOO WOOOOOOOOO
only a week...
God damn it

I had my doubts about Kinnaman. And that review chimes with what I was worried about.
So it's bad. *removes from watch list*
Lonewolves wrote:

If one fairly poor review removes things from your watch list it’s a wonder you have ever watched anything in your life.
Yeah, no clue if this is any good or not but some amazing films and things got slated by critics when they came out.
Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

If one fairly poor review removes things from your watch list it’s a wonder you have ever watched anything in your life.

On the other hand, if you're time-poor, why not adopt a wait and see approach after even the most modest of warning signs? We're drowning in decent telly these days. It's not like anyone's short on stuff to watch.
30 minutes in. So far it’s good! And a very faithful adaptation.
markg wrote:
Yeah, no clue if this is any good or not but some amazing films and things got slated by critics when they came out.

Like Days of Thunder
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
30 minutes in. So far it’s good! And a very faithful adaptation.

Helo!
Yes! And with a pretty good accent, too!
Ep1 was pretty good.
Well, whatever you may not like about this (and three episodes in I am still not convinced by Kinnamen) you’d have to admit the production values are amazing. Expenses have not been spared. And I don’t mean it’s a surface sheen of SFX — I mean the bone-deep visual design and world-building is superb.
I think Kinnaman nails the character they're portraying in this adaptation. Whether that's the Kovacs in people's heads is different.
I've not seen this but I love kinnaman for his role in the killing. A very endearing presence.
Cras wrote:
I think Kinnaman nails the character they're portraying in this adaptation. Whether that's the Kovacs in people's heads is different.

Hello
Is this where your username is from, Kiev?
Episode One was awesome.
I haven't read book.
Mimi wrote:
Is this where your username is from, Kiev?

Da....
Sorry was trying to put yes In Russian.

Yes Mimi, I got my name from the book.
MaliA wrote:
Which book?

Woken furies.
MaliA wrote:
Episode One was awesome.
I haven't read book.

Fix that.
Question: I've seen the first epsiode of this, and liked it. Should I:

a.) Stop watching and read the book first?
b.) Finish watching and then read the book?
c.) Jeez dude, stop being such a nerd about it and just get on with it.
EP 5

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Fuuuck, the weapon that guy uses on Ortega in the lift is nasty. Just rips out chunks of flesh.
This is really fucking good.
Cras wrote:
This is really fucking good.

:this:

Up to 6... I need to find 4 hours to finish it :P
EP 6

Sierra!
Six episodes in. Book spoilers:

I'm starting to think they're going to change the ending, because they haven't foreshadowed the Rawlings virus strike yet. Unless it's going to happen in the next episode, which appears to be an extended flashback to the Quellist Rebellion, so maybe we'll see it there. The cast list says one of the unnamed Envoys in the flashbacks is Jimmy DeSoto, which suggests he may meet the same fate as he does in the book.

I have reservations (more on those when I finish the show) but I am enjoying it.
Mmmmmm, 's alright.
MrChris wrote:
Mmmmmm, 's alright.

such detail, so exacting, wow
:shrug:

It's... ok. The world building is great, I particularly like the Raven and Poe, but a lot of the characterisation is a bit one dimensional (althogh to be fair the underlying source material, while ace, was partially "teenage boy" in its approach and aethetics) and wall of flesh actor person being Kovacs is not exactly a big bundle of charisma.

And oh my god the cop - her overacting is painful.

Still, I'm only on Ep 4.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Mmmmmm, 's alright.

such detail, so exacting, wow

Also, I'm not getting paid for this. Chuck me cash and I'll perform.
So it's not great then. Good to know
I don't mind the characters being trope-heavy -- this is noir, after all. I strongly agree about Kinnamen though. I much prefer the guy playing

OG Kovacs

None of these people can hold a candle to Tatiana Maslany in the "playing different characters who look the same" stakes.
Lonewolves wrote:
So it's not great then. Good to know

It's not going to win over people who don't like this kind of thing. Kinnamen is a bit weak and its very, very densely packed, to the point where I'm sure it's put a lot of people off. I'm enjoying it a lot, however, because cyberpunk technoir is extremely on-brand for me, and I love the book, and there's plenty in the adaptation that is good.
Looking forward to this, its not my wifes cup of tea so would never get around to watching it as we are lucky to get one episode of TV watched a night before our baby wakes up and ends the adult time.

However she is going to Dublin for a week with the kids Saturday, so this and S2 of Stranger things will be binged.

Never read the book, think thats a good thing as I read all the Preacher commics and never really got into the TV Show.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, and I'm going to continue watching it until the end even in preference to Friends Series 2. I love scifi and cyberpunk and noir, and any admixture of any two or more of the foregoing. And the production values in particular put it well ahead of the new Star Trek series for sci fi fun times.
Star Trek Disco is brilliant though.
Mmmmm, s'alright.
MrChris wrote:
Mmmmm, s'alright.

For me the first two episodes were mmm, all right. Then it went WHOA, then there was a boring episode where Saru got brainwashed, then it built up to the mid-season finale which was WTF and now each episode since it came back has outdone itself for WOW moments.

So yeah, I like it.
I'm on Ep 4, but will continue to keep going with it, but it does have moments of "yeah that's clearly a studio with a flat floor", much in common with previous Star Trek serieseses.
Wow, wish I was still only on ep4.
Also the Klingon makeup is woeful.
I'm up to date with Discovery and I don't like it as much as I like Altered Carbon.
MrChris wrote:
Also the Klingon makeup is woeful.

As in not to your aesthetic taste or poorly applied?
Page 2 of 3 [ 135 posts ]