Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Well, this looks rather good:

Everyone is spaffing over it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ice-review (essential)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2017 ... l-illness/ (9/10)
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/08/08/h ... ice-review (9/10)
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/hellbl ... 0-6416724/ (8/10)

Also, if you die to often, it'll delete your save game.

I think I might have some of this.
Playstation exclusive I expect? **Sigh**
Yes.

That was to Grim... but probably to The Vision too.
TheVision wrote:

It doesn't work on a Betamax either, grandpa.

(PS4 and PC, I think)
I am waiting to see how much teeth gnashing there is about the perma death thing.
Eurogamer says it's not that bad, in that they don't know of anyone who's hit 'the limit', whatever it is.
Mr Dave wrote:
I am waiting to see how much teeth gnashing there is about the perma death thing.

I think it's a brilliant idea.

I reserve the right to change my mind if it occcurs when I'm three minutes from the end, however.
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

I think it's a brilliant idea.

I reserve the right to change my mind if it occcurs when I'm three minutes from the end, however.

Yes, but you also, if I remember correctly, thought it was a brilliant idea to play through FFVII without saving, ensuring the same mechanic with the additional vulnerability the power supply.
It seems its a bluff (from some of the sites i was reading last night) , however there are some game breaking bugs which will give you basically the same experience :-)

Jim Sterling pulled his initial review where he gave it a 1/10 because he got to a point where he could not progress and the game was basically broken (it seems something did not spawn correctly for him , the game auto saved after that point and he could not go back therefore not pass the next puzzle).

His (updated) review

Re: deleting your save

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It doesn't.
It will do until D4rk Souls.
Mr Dave wrote:
Yes, but you also, if I remember correctly, thought it was a brilliant idea to play through FFVII without saving, ensuring the same mechanic with the additional vulnerability the power supply.

If I'm being perfectly honest, when I said I'd done a "no saves" playthough that was actually just a side-effect of doing a speed run :)
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

If I'm being perfectly honest, when I said I'd done a "no saves" playthough that was actually just a side-effect of doing a speed run :)

Only 90 hours.
Yeah, I really, really like the look of this and will definitely pick it up at some point. Ninja Theory games are generally always worthwhile, albeit usually flawed in some way, and I'm always happy to support their stuff. The permadeath thing is a bad idea in a story driven game I think but if you're never likely to hit it (or it's a complete bluff as Sat is saying?) then I can't find it in myself to care too much.
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Only 90 hours.

I think it was just over nine. I know, thanks!
Satsuma wrote:
Re: deleting your save

It doesn't.

Hmmm, there seems to be some confusion about it. Allegedly you can die at the same part as many times as you want and not have your save deleted, but if you die enough at different sections it will happen. Which is a better balance to my mind because it means if you're struggling with a single section you're in no real danger but if you suck at the game as a whole you might fall foul of it. None of this has actually been clarified by Ninja Theory mind so it's still conjecture to some degree.
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Only 90 hours.

Nine is good going. Was there any kind of trick to it? It's been a long time since I played it, but I think my first playthrough was about 35 hours and I'm not sure where the time would be shaved off.
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Only 90 hours.

Nine is good going. Was there any kind of trick to it? It's been a long time since I played it, but I think my first playthrough was about 35 hours and I'm not sure where the time would be shaved off.

Basically always know what you're doing next and run away from every fight. There are lots of bits you can skip too (Chocobo Farm and the Golden Saucer, for example).
For anything like that I would simply google 'games done quick' and the title

That gives me a few youtube links for around the 3 hour mark (i assume using an exploit) and a few around the 8 hour mark and this link from Kotaku

https://compete.kotaku.com/this-8-hour- ... 1796740770

Quote:
This 8-Hour Run Of Final Fantasy VII Is A Masterwork Of Planning
Eight hours is fucking epic.
Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Only 90 hours.

Basically always know what you're doing next and run away from every fight. There are lots of bits you can skip too (Chocobo Farm and the Golden Saucer, for example).

But if you skip the golden saucer, how are you supposed to bang Barret?
How do you skip Chocobo Farm, as you need Chocobo Lure Materia to capture a Chocobo to get past the Midgar Zolom?
You can glitch past him. I didn't in fairness, because I didn't know you could, so I did go to Chocobo Farm.
TheVision wrote:

Dont' worry TheVision... It's not and in fact, you've just been playing it on the very Xbox One you're typing this on!

First impressions are that it's a bit fucking spooky and stuff. I love the voices whirling round your head and if I wasn't permanently scared of someone coming through the door behind me, then I'd be playing it with headphones on.

Yep.. I'm looking forward to getting into this. It seems the logical next step after completing Kirbys Dreamland on the Gameboy.
Coincidentally, I finished this last night. It was...alright. Looked absolutely fucking incredible and had some really nice ideas, but a massive chunk of it's (fairly short) run time felt like busy work and filler. I'll go write it up properly on the Finish 52 thread.
Why was everyone spaffing their britches over this again? It’s so, so ... tedious and boring.

The Good: Graphics are great and the voice acting is mostly great with some almost AMSR stuff going on. The story is vaguely interesting I guess. The combat is simple and easy to pick up. The animations are good. There’s some nice texture work. The faces and facial expressions on the lead in particular look stunning. It looks a bit like and plays a tiny bit like the nuGod of War.

The Bad: ... except it really doesn’t, cause the combat is basic AF and get repetitive very fast. It desperately needed an action director to come in and turn this shell of a game into something special. The puzzles need jettisoning first: tedious, boring and mundane. You have to look at a door for a shape and then find the shape in the environment. Again. And again. And again. Or maybe you’ll have to look at a thing at the right angle. Yes, it’s children’s “fit the block into the right hole” for adults. They should have just got rid of all that shit and went full DmC (again) for the combat. And done more combat. There’s some here but it just pops up every now and again. The main focus of the game are these shitty puzzles that aren’t challenging, aren’t interesting and serve no purpose for the story. And I don’t know what all this delete the save stuff was because I haven’t died once. There’s no health, no stamina, no pick ups...you just have to survive your enemy encounter and then you’ll have another hour of wandering around. Oh and if you like getting lost and wandering around - there’s a labyrinth - but your run button suddenly doesn’t work and you can only walk around like Marcus Fenix with a cotton bud stuffed in his ear because, well, erm, there’s no reason really, just cause. There’s a daft section that takes place in the dark and you’ve got to feel your way out...actually, you turn your right stick and the Xbox pad simulates a “breeze” you can follow ... by vibrating like a rampant rabbit turned to max setting being aggressively inflicted on a swollen clit. Oh, but you can actually see and the background is just poorly blurred. It’s such a nonsense it drops the pretence about 5 minutes into walking slow as fuck as you walk around monsters that you can hear. Only, there’s no need to listen cause you can see them clear as fucking day. I wish they had tried what they obviously intended and just had the screen black apart from the main character or something. Just...stupid.

BOOOOOOOORRING.
Almost AMSR stuff? Nah, the sound on this game is some of the best I've ever experienced.

Play it loud with headphones or surround sound as it's all kinds of amazing. Proper spooky.
That’s what I’m saying, the sounds and voices are really good.
Page 1 of 1 [ 28 posts ]