Games for kids
On the PS4
I want to show my daughter the joy of video games.

She's 5 and a half, and can almost read. I think she'd be okay with a bit of text on screen but not something that requires a lot of reading.

What PS4 games might she enjoy?

I already have the Lego Movie game to try, but was wondering if anyone else had any experience. Are the Lego Dimensoons or Disney Infinity things any good? Are they a little beyond her age range or just right?

She's currently obsessed with things like Lego Ninjago and Pokemon (I will be creating a 'Shall I Buy My Daughter a Nintendo DS' thread in due course), so things of that ilk are good, as would be anything around Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time, Gumball, Regular Show etc.

RMD, peeps!
Disney infinty is being scrpaped, had an email about, hence it is reduced every where.
Rayman Legends/Origins
Any of the Lego games, including Dimensions (but it's hellishly expensive)
Skylanders Swap Force
Peggle 2
Flower
Minecraft

LittleBigPlanet 3 will seem tempting but would probably be too difficult, same with something like Octodad.
I remember reading a thing about a Dad who wanted his kid to appreciate games, so he showed them every system from Pong onwards playing a few games from each era so that they could properly appreciate how good games are and how good they are getting.

I would say that you can't go wrong with getting an old box (or even one of those retro mini things they sell as gifts nowadays) with either Mario or Sonic on it.
I have been playing a bit of LEGO Dimensions. The real LEGO set and minifigs included are quite nice, but not for complete newbies I would say.

The game is a bit of a mess, honestly. Very chaotic. Enjoyable in parts, frustrating in other. LEGO marks it as 7+, but I think even 7 year olds would struggle on their own.
Mr Russell wrote:
I remember reading a thing about a Dad who wanted his kid to appreciate games, so he showed them every system from Pong onwards playing a few games from each era so that they could properly appreciate how good games are and how good they are getting.

I would say that you can't go wrong with getting an old box (or even one of those retro mini things they sell as gifts nowadays) with either Mario or Sonic on it.

This.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10536&p=896273#p896273
I've had success with old Amiga games, especially with The Boy. Single button controls ftw. I reckon I'm going to use the Raspberry pi I've just bought to give the kids a classic gaming education.

Can't advise on the PS4 though. Minecraft is good to play together, but the joypad controls are a bit complex for little hands
I do wonder if she'd appreciate the older stuff, as she's played enough mobile games on the iPad that she is probably now already set in her modernist ways!
Curiosity wrote:
I do wonder if she'd appreciate the older stuff, as she's played enough mobile games on the iPad that she is probably now already set in her modernist ways!

I'd be tempted to skip the really old stuff. Every time I set up my Atari 2600 to test some games out, I can barely tolerate most of the games for more than a few minutes.
Minikov loves the lego games.. we have played them to death
The oldest I've shown the kids is NES era. I doubt they'd really get the appeal of Speccy stuff. Mainly SNES, Mega Drive and Amiga games.

They both really liked Bill's Tomato Game on the Amiga and ask for it all the time. :shrug:
Curiosity wrote:

She'd probably just throw them in the bin.
Wondering now if I should get a SNES "for the kids" for Christmas. So that "they" can appreciate the old games that I grew up playing.

Totes for me, obvs.
Jem wrote:
Wondering now if I should get a SNES "for the kids" for Christmas. So that "they" can appreciate the old games that I grew up playing.

Totes for me, obvs.

Get them a NES Mini. If they don't like it, you're bound to make your money back on eBay.
I actually just want a SNES though :P
Jem wrote:

Get a Rasberry Pi! And a USB Snes controller. Same thing, less mess.
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Can you buy them pre done?
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Nah. Retron 5!

Attachment:
retron.png

(although I'm not a massive fan of the controller. At least it has ports for original NES/SNES/MD controllers)
Hohokum - More of an experience than a 'game' but well worth checking out.

Race the Sun - Very simple controls make this kid friendly, mine love it but won't be to everyones taste

Dark Souls 3
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

I don't want a raspberry pi, I want a bloody SNES. :facepalm:
Loosely related, but the Amiga 500 was nearly ruined for me. My brother and I got a second hand one for Christmas when we were wee nippers and one of the games that came packed with it was Nightbreed. Fucking terrified me and I couldn't bear to turn the machine on for a while after playing it.

Days of Thunder also nearly put me off the Amiga, but that was for other reasons.
Jem wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Title.
Findus Fop wrote:
Loosely related, but the Amiga 500 was nearly ruined for me. My brother and I got a second hand one for Christmas when we were wee nippers and one of the games that came packed with it was Nightbreed. Fucking terrified me and I couldn't bear to turn the machine on for a while after playing it.

I'm glad I wasn't alone in this.
Kern wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I'm glad I wasn't alone in this.

We're survivors, Kern.

This fucking guy.
Findus Fop wrote:

Days of Thunder also nearly put me off the Amiga, but that was for other reasons.

1. Load up Days of Thunder
2. Get bored.
3. Enter comeflywithme cheat
4. Fly around a bit
5. Get bored again.
6. Play something else.
Jem wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

You're the boss!
Jem wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Get an XBox.
devilman wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

1. Load up Days of Thunder
2. Get bored.
3. Enter comeflywithme cheat
4. Fly around a bit
5. Get bored again.
6. Play something else.

1. Load Days of Thunder
2. Reverse in pit lane
3. Game over

The music was OK but the game let the fourth best ever film of all time down
Mr Dave wrote:
Jem wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Jem wrote:

Get an XBox.

:'(
Lonewolves wrote:
Rayman Legends/Origins
Skylanders Swap Force
Peggle 2
Flower
Minecraft

LittleBigPlanet 3 will seem tempting but would probably be too difficult, same with something like Octodad.

I tried the boy on lbp a while back and there's too much going on and variables. May give it another go soon. Lego force awakens is pretty good although trickier in parts than the marvel Lego games.
I was considering Dimensions purely for the Ninjago characters. Will start her with Lego Movie and Peggle or something.

She gets really pissed off when she doesn't win though. No idea where she gets that from.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Rayman Legends/Origins
Skylanders Swap Force
Peggle 2
Flower
Minecraft

I tried the boy on lbp a while back and there's too much going on and variables. May give it another go soon. Lego force awakens is pretty good although trickier in parts than the marvel Lego games.

I did like LBP when I played "co-op" with my family.

Although no-one liked my "source of horse" level :(
Curiosity wrote:
I was considering Dimensions purely for the Ninjago characters. Will start her with Lego Movie and Peggle or something.

She gets really pissed off when she doesn't win though. No idea where she gets that from.

It is why we love the Lego games. You can't finish on the first walk though.

And enough of a challenge to keep him interested.
Has any one played Lego dimensions, as it is now half price.

Wonder if it is worth taking a punt at?
KovacsC wrote:

If you like the regular LEGO games you will like it. The dimensions portal is used quite heavily, and quite well.

For example an enemy might fire a freezing spell at Gandalf, and you can get him out of it by physically moving LEGO Gandalf to a different bit of the pad.
Which is fucking annoying if it's a long way away.
Grim... wrote:
Which is fucking annoying if it's a long way away.

Yeah, the lead is quite long though, so you can stretch it across the room to be next to you.
At £29. Giving it a punt
Here. Rocket league. Broforce. Minecraft. Monument valley
Mr Russell wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

If you like the regular LEGO games you will like it. The dimensions portal is used quite heavily, and quite well.

For example an enemy might fire a freezing spell at Gandalf, and you can get him out of it by physically moving LEGO Gandalf to a different bit of the pad.

Yes. Tried it last night.

I like the mix of physical and in game.
DavPaz wrote:
The oldest I've shown the kids is NES era. I doubt they'd really get the appeal of Speccy stuff. Mainly SNES, Mega Drive and Amiga games.

They both really liked Bill's Tomato Game on the Amiga and ask for it all the time. :shrug:

Yo which SNES games and megadrive games?

Attitude likes jrpgs but I cannot read Japanese and she can't read at all , so we got lost in the menu system sub quest. Whinges likes ECCO jr.
Edited for clarity
Castle of Illusion with Mickey Mouse has a beginner mode. The kids enjoy that
NES and master system games generally have simpler controls.

Ooh, sonic 2 (mega drive) has a two player race mode where you can't "die". We got some hours out of that.
Of course, since The Boy got a 2DS in December and then we got the Xbox at Christmas, both of the kids have become competent with more complicated controls, so we've been playing games like Bomberman and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime witjout much trouble.

Who knew kids learn fast?
Page 1 of 1 [ 48 posts ]