Netflix
I want to watch Netflix in my spare room.

What is the best way (most cost effective) to do this.. chromecast, fire stick etc?
Get a console not a PC
Streaming it from your phone to a chromecast would probably be the cheapest option. I don't like the idea of fiddling around with my phone for Netflix though so I've got a Roku 3 hopefully arriving today to replace my Google Nexus Player which seems to be getting more unreliable by the day.
I've been very happy with my Roku. It does Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, as well as BBC Iplayer, and the various options from the other main broadcasters.
devilman wrote:
Streaming it from your phone to a chromecast would probably be the cheapest option. I don't like the idea of fiddling around with my phone for Netflix though so I've got a Roku 3 hopefully arriving today to replace my Google Nexus Player which seems to be getting more unreliable by the day.

That is a good idea..

What is a Roku?
My Chromecast has gone to shit the last few weeks, oddly. I've had to switch back to streaming to Apple TV.
KovacsC wrote:
What is a Roku?

A tiny little streaming box that plugs into my TV using HDMI. Mine's about the size of a fag packet, but newer versions are even smaller. The interface is really simple to use.
KovacsC wrote:
devilman wrote:

That is a good idea..

What is a Roku?

This is the one I've ordered but there are alternative models on that same page too.
that sort of thing seems ideal.. no wires :)
Most cost effective is to watch on the phone you already own. Zero additional cost. Boom.

I'm a problem solver, me
Ah.. I want it on a TV so I can watch it when on my exercise bike.. as a distraction for chewing out miles
KovacsC wrote:
Ah.. I want it on a TV so I can watch it when on my exercise bike.. as a distraction for chewing out miles

You should power it via a dynamo to give yourself an incentive to keep pedalling.
The Amazon fire stick does Netflix just fine and it's cheaper than the Roku option... not cheaper than your phone though.
KovacsC wrote:

Hang on, hang on, hang on.

If you want to introduce this scope creep now, we're going to have to talk about my day rate first. There's no way we can bring this project in on time.
Ah, i do believe i missed the word TV out of my original CR.

"I want to watch Netflix in my spare room.

What is the best way (most cost effective) to do this.. chromecast, fire stick etc"

I made the assumption by stating chromecast that TV would be required.
Looks like someone made an ASS out of U, ME.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Looks like someone made an ASS out of U, ME.

:)
Can someone reboot G-Dog?
Arrange your bike so that you can see out of your window into your neighbour's front room. They'll probably have netflix on at some point.
I also recommend the roku. I have a roku 3 and a nexus player and even though the nexus is slick as oil coated butter, the roku can do more. Still no iPlayer for the nexus, for example. Or 4od. And if rumours are true, there never will be
DavPaz wrote:
I also recommend the roku. I have a roku 3 and a nexus player and even though the nexus is slick as oil coated butter, the roku can do more. Still no iPlayer for the nexus, for example. Or 4od. And if rumours are true, there never will be

See, this is why I prefer the 'send stuff from your phone' route - no need for support on the actual device itself.
Indeed. I still use Chromecast in the kids' playroom, but the WAF is higher with a proper remote.
So roku is its own device and Chromecast gets stuff from my phone or ipad?
Why don't you just exercise in front of the mirror naked like a real man?
KovacsC wrote:

It actually gets it straight from Netflix, but your phone tells it what to go and get.
Zardoz wrote:

That is a given.. But I want TV too :)
Cras wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

It actually gets it straight from Netflix, but your phone tells it what to go and get.

Cheers
Zardoz wrote:

oh hi!
Zardoz wrote:

"I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion."
KovacsC wrote:

Phone + magnifying glass.
Galaxy S6/7 phone, GearVR headset and Netflix on there.

It's a massive screen with the only downsides being you can't see how far you have gone on the bike, it can be quite draining on the battery and it may get so hot it takes your whole head clean off.
Alternatively, buy a cinema. It's not that much more.
Take your actual bike to a cinema and ride up and down the aisles.
Rule 5 and go so hard your brain has to divert energy from your eyes turning them off to maintain the pace.
Nobody knows the cycling rules Mali, you'll never make that a thing.
Cras wrote:

You'll never be welcomed by the velominati with that attitude.
Oh that silly set of rules :)
devilman wrote:

My timing is as impressive as always. I've just set up my Roku 3 and I see that Roku earlier today announced (in the US at least) they were refreshing their product line-up.

That outdoes my buying a Moto G 3 only for the 4 to be announced a week later.

On the plus side, I like the Roku 3. Netflix is certainly painless enough and having headphones that plug into the remote might come in handy too.
krazywookie wrote:
Cras wrote:

You'll never be welcomed by the velominati with that attitude.

One for the Yay! thread then.
Cras wrote:

Knowing the rules is required when you own a bike. You can't knowingly break and ignore them otherwise.
Cras wrote:
Goddamnit.

I was annoyed because I didn't want to get a camelback to ensure non compliance. Then I realised that upgrading the size of my water bottles and doubling up on them was more than sufficient to upset the pros.
Oh my goodness!

How on earth do I find the shows I have earmarked to watch on Netflix? Russell has gone out, I have the app to watch a Mimi movie alone for the first time in forever to stop me feeling lonely and they aren't there. I'm signed in... it's just all categories like 'thrillers', no 'your list'
Please help me :(
Search for Singham.

Watch Singham.
Do you mean the 'My List' thingy?

Is that the iOS app you're using there?

Attachment:
mylist.JPG
Yes, it's the 'my list' I'm looking for on iOs. It's usually there. I use the app with chromecast, to throw it up to the Telly :)

Today it isn't there :(
Oh, it's back!

Maybe it was just having a think.
Page 1 of 16 [ 778 posts ]