Pokemon Go
Gotta catch 'em all
So... Who's planning on giving this a go?

I feel as if I am missing out, seeing everyone's pictures. I just want a Zubat.
And an igglybuff/jigglypuff/wigglytuff, OBVIOUSLY.
It helps that I live on a pokestop...
Oh, Trooper! Obviously we'll all have to visit you now.

Have you had early access, or changed your region settings? Or are you Android and it's already available on that?

I did think about getting the US release via US Apple ID, but I would hate to lose all my Pokemon.

Have you seen all the pictures of people at the park at 4am catching Pokemon? Best thing ever.
You can just download the android apk file and install it on your phone and it works fine.

I'm currently sitting in the park trying to catch pokemon, just had a chat about how crap the servers are with a couple of other hunters who I met at a pokestop...
I'm in. Caught five so far, although three of them are dupes. I had to use my iPhone because (I am told) the app crashes on Android Nougat. It absolutely smashes the battery, unsurprisingly.

Mimi -- progress appears to tied to a Google address [1] you sign in with, not your Apple ID. You won't lose progress if you start now and switch later.

It isn't out in the UK for Android, either. The devs halted international rollout while they get the servers stabilised.

[1] the developers of this, Niantic Labs, were owned by Google until recently. They previously made Ingress, which is a very similar game.
This is after wandering around the local park like a lunatic for an hour...
It's buggy as hell on android at the moment, if you use battery saver mode then there is a good chance you will need to restart the game every time you look at your phone, as it will stop updating it seems. Had to do that half a dozen times before I switched it off. I expect it's to do with losing GPS signal and not picking it up again properly.

I fought at a gym, I won! ... Nothing seemed to happen? The gym still had the same pokemon guarding it afterwards. It doesn't do a very good job of telling you how it all works and what you need to do.

It's quite good fun all in all, got me out of the house for a walk, I met some new people for a chat.
Sold!

We have caught a Charmander and a Pidgey, which I suspect are the standard two that everyone catches to begin with. One was in my bowl of pasta, the other on the post box by the front lawn.

Tomorrow we shall hit the town if Darwin is well enough (he has a cold :( )
Ok, so how do I do this? I guess I walk to the pokestops when Darwin stops being do selfish as to be ill (jeesh...)

Are those the little glowing things on the map? Then the big tower is the gym?

Also, it says there are two Pokemon nearby. Looks like ratata and the little caterpillar dude. There are little footprints next to them... What does that mean? If I select one o thought it might have given me a route?
Pokestops are the blue squares on the map, they will give you pokeballs to catch pokemon, and eggs to hatch pokemon. Once you hit level 5 it seems they also give you revive and health potions.
The green leaves on the map that spring up are where the pokemon might appear.
The gyms you can't do anything with until you hit level 5.
The nearby thing seems to do bugger all as far as I can tell.
Ah, ok. I can't see any leaves :(

Found the rat, though
Just noticed there's a photo button in the app. D'oh
Mimi wrote:
Ah, ok. I can't see any leaves :(

They can be tricky to spot, it's not a big leaf or anything. It's a little animation of tiny leaves being disturbed by a pokemon.
Yes, I saw a few little ones erupting when I first opened the app, but they've gone now, so I guess they were from one of the Ookdnkn I've already caught. Will try again later!
You should have some incense you can use, which will lure some pokemon to your house for 30 minutes. I think you get a free one at the start.
Oh, yes, I have one of those. Awesome.
This looks fun but I'd probably get addicted and lose my job.
Pokemon

Meh, pass.
Pokemon Go player finds dead body

Kinda odd how story starts out being about the dead body and then goes on to talk more about the game instead.
Yes, I read that yesterday. The focus of the story does seem to shift somewhat!
I have previously had zero interest in Pokemon, but this is surprisingly addictive. I don't have anywhere near anything powerful enough to take on any of the local gyms, sadly. Also, fuck exercising, it works excellently when on the bus.
Looking sharp, C man
Trooper wrote:
I fought at a gym, I won! ... Nothing seemed to happen? The gym still had the same pokemon guarding it afterwards. It doesn't do a very good job of telling you how it all works and what you need to do.

It's quite good fun all in all, got me out of the house for a walk, I met some new people for a chat.

You have to beat the gym several times to take it over
Not sure I can get much closer to these leaves.., how do I make the Pokemon appear now that I'm here?
Luck, I think. Or use an incense.
Mimi's phone screenshots make me twitchy as it's always so desperately low on charge. It's not even my phone and it gives me the heebies.
Just been out for another wander, this game uses about 1% a minute charge wise, which is pretty excessive :D

When you get to the leaves just wait if you want to. All that means is that the chance of one appearing is greatly increased, not that one will be there for certain. I've got a fair number of pokemon in non leaf areas when wandering around, so it is just luck.

It's really relaxing to play, take a stroll around with your phone in your hand, when there is a pokemon you can catch it vibrates, catch it, carry on walking. You only need to actually look at your phone if it vibrates.
Irritatingly, steps taken for incubating eggs only count when the app is open
Hearthly wrote:
Mimi's phone screenshots make me twitchy as it's always so desperately low on charge. It's not even my phone and it gives me the heebies.

OMG :this:.

She was at 1% the other day - I'm still jittery over that one. :o
This is how I ended up after my two trips out today. 7.2k of walking this took!
All duplicates have been traded in, 66 pokemon caught in total.

Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-07-10-17-24-31.png

Attachment:
Screenshot_2016-07-10-17-24-50.png
Oh wow!

I've just evolved my first Pokemon (a Pidgey).

What does trading in do? Do you keep the candy to help you evolve your Pokemon when you trade them in?

Come on, little baby boy, get well so we can go Pokemon hunting.

I need a little generator that works off of the wheels of my buggy to charge the phone, and a little mount on the handle for the phone itself (the second you can definitely buy).
I'm on level four now. Not left the house.

I'm going to just sit here and let them come to me.
You get a candy for each pokemon you trade in.

Oh, and get a powerbank to keep in the buggy ;)
Mimi wrote:

I need a little generator that works off of the wheels of my buggy to charge the phone, and a little mount on the handle for the phone itself (the second you can definitely buy).

Mr Chris! Calling Mr Chris!
Oh, is that a portable battery recharger? I did t know they rxisted. Great idea.

Heh, I once decided that I could make a mint by inventing single use (but recyclable) battery packs for phones to sell at festivals. Return the unit and get £1 back or £2 off another charged one... Etc.
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Mr Chris! Calling Mr Chris!

Is Mr Chtis an inventor? We need a Caracticus Potts around these parts.
Mimi wrote:
Oh, is that a portable battery recharger? I did t know they rxisted. Great idea.

Heh, I once decided that I could make a mint by inventing single use (but recyclable) battery packs for phones to sell at festivals. Return the unit and get £1 back or £2 off another charged one... Etc.

Recyclable batteries aren't really that much of a thing. But rechargeable packs that you swap for a new one when it's dry are very much done at festivals.
That's what I mean. I don't mean recyclable in the 'raw materials' sense, but packs that can be recharged by the vendors, rather than at home.
Mimi wrote:

Heh, I once decided that I could make a mint by inventing single use (but recyclable) battery packs for phones to sell at Pokemon gyms. Return the unit and get £1 back or £2 off another charged one... Etc.

FeeX.
Mimi wrote:

I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-2nd-Gen-Del ... =powerbank

It's reasonably heavy at just under half a kilo, but if you have it in your buggy then that won't matter. It'll recharge an iPhone 6 ten times before it needs recharging, so you can keep on pokemoning on all day if you like :D
Mimi wrote:
That's what I mean. I don't mean recyclable in the 'raw materials' sense, but packs that can be recharged by the vendors, rather than at home.

Oh, right. Yeah, sorry, that's been a thing for years.
That's ok, I had the idea many years ago. Also triangular toothpaste tubes, so your toothpaste comes out tinkering shaped and doesn't roll off the brush when you run it under water before brushing.
Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-2nd-Gen-Del ... =powerbank

It's reasonably heavy at just under half a kilo, but if you have it in your buggy then that won't matter. It'll recharge an iPhone 6 ten times before it needs recharging, so you can keep on pokemoning on all day if you like :D

Oh, that's a great idea. I need one because otherwise my phone runs low when I use the Fitbit GPS tracking, which measures how many cakes I can eat when j get yo the cafe; listen to a GOT audiobook, which makes my brother think I've found hundreds of hours somewhere to read books, pfft, and take a billion photos and videos each day. Now I'll be able to do that and catch Pokemon. My life will be complete.
Mimi wrote:
That's ok, I had the idea many years ago. Also triangular toothpaste tubes, so your toothpaste comes out tinkering shaped and doesn't roll off the brush when you run it under water before brushing.

What kind of insane toothpaste are you using that rolls off the brush?

:DD
Page 1 of 11 [ 520 posts ]