Homebrew-me-do
Not coding though, you geek
MaliA wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I was sitting at my desk drooling at the idea of making my own version of some of their sour beers but fuck knows when I'd ever have the room for such shenanigans. Even if I do move at some point in the new few months as planned I'm still only looking for a two bedroom place and I'd be a bit worried doing something involving large quantities of liquids if I've got neighbours below me...

You can scale it all down. I make 10 litres at a time on the hob. Equipment wise I use a kettle, a 15 litre saucepan, garden sieve, fermenting bin, muslin cloth, hydrometer, measuring cylinder, hop bag and a wormdo. The biggest volume of water you would use this way is 12l just before you boil it. Go for it.

Hmmm, we'll see. In my current flat I genuinely don't have the room for even a fraction of the stuff you've described but we'll see what a new flat might bring in terms of options.
DavPaz wrote:
What's a wormdo.... ?

Lays eggs!
DavPaz wrote:
What's a wormdo.... ?

This
Don't ever do that again
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Turbo Cider 2.

4.4 litres 11.4% sugar solution and 100ml Ribena. And 6 teabags.

6%.

Not as dry as the other one. Have added sugar so it will be fizzy

Opened a bottle. It is terrible.
Too sweet? Too sour? Just plain minging?
Grim... wrote:

It is gopping. Took one sip and binned it. And MOTHER OF GOD THE AFTERTASTE. It is like someone is running electricity through your teeth.
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It is gopping. Took one sip and binned it. And MOTHER OF GOD THE AFTERTASTE. It is like someone is running electricity through your teeth.

Sounds like Old Rosie by Westons.

Do you like Old Rosie?
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Sounds like Old Rosie by Westons.

Do you like Old Rosie?

No idea. I shall store some for you.
I like old Rosie, served hot and with a decent glug of bourbon added and some cinnamon.
Jesus, Old Rosie with added Bourbon?! That's powerful going, taking a swig of Rosie and going 'hmm. Not boozy enough'
If you want to get very warm, very quickly, that's how you do it.
I really fancy some mulled cider now!
I have started work on ly wort chiller. The copper pipe came in a spiral so I just had to make it tighter to fit in the pan with bits sticking out the top.microbore tube is very soft and I have buggered up the bottom turn so I need to waste 1m of it so far as it is kinked. All the pictures of everyone else's look rather neat and tidy and mine looks like a spiral of copper which is wider at the bottom.
MaliA wrote:
I have started work on ly wort chiller. The copper pipe came in a spiral so I just had to make it tighter to fit in the pan with bits sticking out the top.microbore tube is very soft and I have buggered up the bottom turn so I need to waste 1m of it so far as it is kinked. All the pictures of everyone else's look rather neat and tidy and mine looks like a spiral of copper which is wider at the bottom.

See :(
It's like brake pipe. One of these might help, depending on the diameter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brake-Pipe-Bend ... nding+tool

Here's how to work one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXkRQgHDbew
Ta. I will look into that. I managed to salvage it using brute force, tin snips, 2 siphons and boiling water.

But a neater one would be great.
Holy shit. 8m of copper pipe means boiling point to 40 degrees in 15 minutes! Yeast pitching time!

Brew time now down to 4 hours!
Tinner's ale, tonight. Mainly, because I've ended up having to clarify the timescales of "dreckly" with MrsA as after 14 years she still doesn't understand how it is like "mañana" but without the hurry, as stuff still isn't at the tip.
MaliA wrote:
Tinner's ale, tonight. Mainly, because I've ended up having to clarify the timescales of "dreckly" with MrsA as after 14 years she still doesn't understand how it is like "mañana" but without the hurry, as stuff still isn't at the tip.

This looks to be a strong one! About 6%

Here's my sexy piece of engineering in action, cooling the wort quickly and crash precipitating the insoluble proteins.
MaliA wrote:
Holy shit. 8m of copper pipe means boiling point to 40 degrees in 15 minutes! Yeast pitching time!

So. I made Belgian Paterbrau and it came out at 6%. 2kg Pilsner Malt in at 65 for an hiur then 30g Saaz hops at start of boil and 30g Saaz hops for aroma 5 mins from end with pinch Irish Moss.

Some color, innit?
What are you doing with all this beer, Mali?
Mimi wrote:

I put it in my beer cupboard in the garage. Then I make some more.
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I put it in my beer cupboard in the garage. Then I make some more.

And sometimes I text pictures of it to myp
You must have a massive amount stored? Does it keep?
Mimi wrote:
You must have a massive amount stored? Does it keep?

Each batch is about 16 bottles. I'll try one after about 10 days after bottling, then dip in and out of the rest. It tastes better the longer it is left to condition. 4 weeks minimum is a good start. If i need empty bottles, I'll drink it more quickly. I foist some off on guests, too. There's generally at least 12 bottles in the cupboard. My view is that it is for drinking, I'm not creating masterworks here.

Ultimately, I suppose, it keeps me busy and gives me a specific set of problems to solve in the processes. That, and messing about with the variables is of interest to me. I do it in a purposefully vague way, but increasing that mash temp does seem to reduce the sugars that come out; for example, and Irish Moss used to clear the beer does make a difference. Storing beer in the cool improves the flavour quicker. It i lots of knowledge that pre exists, in books and stuff, but I like to investigate it. I take rough notes but don't really put too much into measurements because I do it for fun.
Absolutely. For some reason I thought you were brewing 40-60 bottles at a time. 16 is far more sensible.
How much foam does your beer have.. the pictures you show of the ons don't do it really justice
romanista wrote:
How much foam does your beer have.. the pictures you show of the ons don't do it really justice

The ones in the wine glasses are straight from the bin, they are not carbonated. Typically, I have been putting half a medicinespoon (2.5ml) of sugar in each bottle to carbonate. This gives some fizz. I have now increased this to one spoon. I don'Tt like overly fizzy beer so stick to the lower end of the scale. I don't like beer having a big head, either. See the picture.
Mimi wrote:
Absolutely. For some reason I thought you were brewing 40-60 bottles at a time. 16 is far more sensible.

My pot will only hold 15 litres maximum which will boil down to 10. I don't think the stove can put out enough heat to boil more than this volume. It takes 30 mins or so to go from 50ish to boiling. I might investigate using the gas bbq, but might have to muck about with the bits where the fire comes out.

Edit: if I am calling it "the bits where the fire comes out", probably best I leave it alone...
MaliA wrote:
Holy shit.

I /told/ you*.

* I think I told you.
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Here's my sexy piece of engineering in action, cooling the wort quickly and crash precipitating the insoluble proteins.

I got 11 bottles from this but my siphon was being crap tonight and yield was disappointing. Looks to be about 5.5%
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

So. I made Belgian Paterbrau and it came out at 6%. 2kg Pilsner Malt in at 65 for an hiur then 30g Saaz hops at start of boil and 30g Saaz hops for aroma 5 mins from end with pinch Irish Moss.

Some color, innit?

1 week trial bottle suggests it is pretty fuxking strong but a but dull tasting. More hops needed and possibly a touch of crystal and black malt. But I might just use whatever I have in with the 3kg of pilsner malt I have kicking about
Brewdog have released a new version of their DIY Dog thing that now includes all their 2016 stuff, including details of beers they haven't released yet.
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Some color, innit?

I am making the
Same receipe but with 125g black malt added to see what happens.

Esit: added a few handfuls of bramling cross

Edit 2: 1044 after dilution. Also made wilko hoppy copper kit 1030
romanista wrote:

About this much.
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I got 11 bottles from this but my siphon was being crap tonight and yield was disappointing. Looks to be about 5.5%

Disappointed in this and the belgian pale. It just tastes strong. Not a lot of depth of flavour. Ho hum.
MaliA wrote:
Disappointed in this and the belgian pale. It just tastes strong. Not a lot of depth of flavour. Ho hum.

Just give it a yankee-sounding name and you too can be a hipster craft beer millionaire.
Kern wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Just give it a yankee-sounding name and you too can be a hipster craft beer millionaire.

He said no depth of flavour. :roll:
asfish wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/851236517/artbrew-worlds-best-craft-beer-home-brewery/?utm_source=GI&utm_medium=Facebook%20gi%20fans&utm_campaign=artbrew%20in%20kickstarter%20for%20gi%20fans

This thing looks to make home brew easy!

Nifty.
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Some color, innit?

I am making the

Right, this came out at 4.8%. I got 16 bottles from it primed with 5ml caster sugar. It is very bitter from the bin.
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

A different bottle and it's getting better for both. I suspect aging is the next big thing to look at.
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Some color, innit?

I am making the

Right, this came out at 4.8%. I got 16 bottles from it primed with 5ml caster sugar. It is very bitter from the bin.

Seems to be thicker than one might expect
Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Some color, innit?

I am making the

Seems to be thicker than one might expect

I have problems with the gravity.
Anything tastes bitter from the bin though. Or sour.

Stop putting your beer in the bin
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Some color, innit?

I am making the

This is nice. I recommend it.
I do my homebrewing on top of the stove as it produces the sort of volumes that are manageable and I don't do it enough to justify pricey stuff. On Friday, I set going a single Saaz hopped Paterbräu style beer using 50% pale malt and 50% Bavarian Pilsner (2.1kg total). Here's how:

The 2.1kg grain went into 6 litres of water to make a mash at 68 celcius, but my new style insulation wasn't super, so it came out at 62 after an hour (when wrapped with towels it comes out at 65. No biggies, ask later). The wort (liquid) is strained through a muslin cloth from mash tun into a big tub and grain added back into the tun.

I added 6 litres more water (at 80 degrees) into the tun, stuck a lid on it and left for 10 minutes before straining it all through muslin again. The wort was poured back into the tun and boiled for an hour, adding 50g Saaz hops at the start of the boil (when it passes 100). 10 minutes from the end of the hour I added 50g Saaz hops, and my heat exchanger (watch out for any residual water coming out the ends as it warms) to the tun. 5 minutes from the end, I added a pinch Irish Moss.

The pot came off the hob, and I put it in the sink filled with cold water. I connected up the heat exhanger to run cold water through the copper pipes and after 20 minutes it was removed as wort is cool enough.

The FV is sterilised with the baby tablets and wort is strained through a sterilised sieve to catch bits and bobs. OG was taken, it was 1054, so I diluted it down to 1.044 with cold water (conveniently this made it 2 gallons), pitched the yeast, put the top on and in the cupboard it goes.

I use the same 15l pot for mash and boil.
Why did you water it down at the end? Also, do you use tap water?
Bobbyaro wrote:
Why did you water it down at the end? Also, do you use tap water?

Too high alcohol-wise than he wanted, I'm guessing.
Page 7 of 12 [ 569 posts ]