Bits & Bobs 46
A new B&B for a new year !
I must admit that it's not something I've ever missed. Having not ever once sat in a car and felt that the seat was horribly cold. OTOH a heated toilet seat would be something I could get on board with.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I only use my heated seats when I really 'have to' (about once every 3 years), as they're either still warming up and providing no benefit at that point, but once up to temperature they give the feeling that you've pissed yourself which I find distracting when I'm supposed to be driving a car.

I used to have such fun stealthily turning on the passenger heated seat.

You'd think people wouldn't announce that they had pissed themselves without, you know, checking first.
markg wrote:
I must admit that it's not something I've ever missed. Having not ever once sat in a car and felt that the seat was horribly cold. OTOH a heated toilet seat would be something I could get on board with.

Leather seats in winter are unpleasant without heating.
I wanted the heated screen more than the seats, but they came as bundle and I'm glad I have them now.
Mr Dave wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I only use my heated seats when I really 'have to' (about once every 3 years), as they're either still warming up and providing no benefit at that point, but once up to temperature they give the feeling that you've pissed yourself which I find distracting when I'm supposed to be driving a car.

I used to have such fun stealthily turning on the passenger heated seat.

You'd think people wouldn't announce that they had pissed themselves without, you know, checking first.

I used to do that too. We got our first car with heated seats about 6 weeks after the Boy had been born, so the wife presumably considered that such an event was at least plausible, given the circumstances.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
markg wrote:

Leather seats in winter are unpleasant without heating.
I wanted the heated screen more than the seats, but they came as bundle and I'm glad I have them now.

:this: i use mine a lot. really useful after a run or a bike ride, to take the chill off.
I've just noticed that one of my colleagues has a load of scratches up her left arm. I've noticed them before to be fair, but thought they could be old scars. Today they seem all fresh and angry looking.

She's purposely covering her arms up too so could she be self harming? She doesn't seem the type as she's really nice but then, what is the type? Should I do anything? I feel like I should but don't know what.
TheVision wrote:
She doesn't seem the type as she's really nice but then, what is the type

"Really nice"
TheVision wrote:
I've just noticed that one of my colleagues has a load of scratches up her left arm. I've noticed them before to be fair, but thought they could be old scars. Today they seem all fresh and angry looking.

It could well be allergies - and when my skin is bad I will wear long sleeves and extra layers of clothes to hide it - worth talking to her but be aware that she may feel very self conscious of it.
Friend, i'd probably ask.
Colleague, i'd leave well alone.
They're definitely cuts so I doubt they're allergies and, only on her left arm. She's right handed you see.

Trooper could be on to something here though. I wouldn't know where to start with approaching her about it.
TheVision wrote:
Trooper could be on to something here though. I wouldn't know where to start with approaching her about it.

"Are you all right?"
TheVision wrote:
They're definitely cuts so I doubt they're allergies and, only on her left arm. She's right handed you see.

iIf it is the case, It differs from person to person. If you don't know, your options are essentially "Get to know her better" or "do nothing"
I'd just say "what happened to your arm?" like you would if someone came in with a cut on their hand or something and then take it from there. It would make it easier for her to fob you off with some story if she doesn't want to talk about it or tell you what happened if there's some normal explanation like a mental cat or something.
I only have a heated windscreen and couldn't be bothered to wait.

If you don't feel comfortable approaching her yourself do you have a manager or care team you would feel comfortable speaking to?
A heated windscreen should deal with the ice fairly quick. Although if you scrape it it comes off dry, I guess.
Hmmmmmm. It's a tricky one.

Don't be suspicious of her or force it, I think asking in the way markg suggested is a good idea. It's unlikely she's going to come out and tell you her life story but how she reacts to the question might give you an indication of whether she might need further help or not.

Work could be her safe haven, sometimes just the routine or monotony offered by working can help you feel less lonely and help at least with the act of not being unwell. Speak to her about stuff, like her favourite Megadrive game or whatever, at least that way 8hrs of her day can be okay.
TheVision wrote:
She doesn't seem the type as she's really nice

What the fuck dude?

Anyway, if you don't know her well enough to know whether you should ask her then you shouldn't ask her in my opinion. You don't know the reasons why or what she's doing about it or whether she'd want to talk about it or any of that, and by letting her know you've noticed you could do more harm than good.
I disagree, sometimes you just want someone to notice something is wrong.....

If can chat do.... ask how she is, something simple
Ask how she is by all means, I was specifically and only advising against asking about the marks on her arms.
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:
She doesn't seem the type as she's really nice

What the fuck dude?

Yeah.. Not quite sure what I meant there. That sounds wrong on all levels.

But yeah, I think I should just mention it. I could just ask if she's alright at least and we do talk anyway about other stuff so I'll keep that up.
markg wrote:
OTOH a heated toilet seat would be something I could get on board with.

Heh! We're seeing friends in the lakes this weekend; they are a quiet, lovely couple (i.e. not al all like me and Mrs C meh :p ) but bizarely and utterly incongruously, their downstairs loo has what I can only describe as a weird contraption of a toilet seat... apparently costing a fortune and bought on an Oriental business trip (under duress), this thing is always heated, has had to be plumbed in, has a control panel with at least 100-odd different settings/modes (I mean really, how much variety does one need when taking a shit?) and is capable of heating, cooling, massage, blowing air and water at various undercarriage bits etc.

I must confess that I actually liked the (default) heated seat, but didn't try any of the "modes", and certainly not the "Happy Lady(tm)" one (I shit you not) that they were giggling/blushing about. I mean really, surely there's a time and a place for everything, that's taking multi tasking too far, right...?

Anyway, personally I love heated car seats; I don't like warm air blowing into my face in the car as it always dries my eyes out too much, and is especially hideous if wearing contact lenses. Heated seats and screen all the way. :)

Edit
This is the sort of thing, but I think theirs is more like a Chinese market only prototype that's much bulkier and less aesthetic...

http://www.duravit.co.uk/products/all_s ... 1#/welcome
£2,136 on Amazon. But £3.99 delivery and not available on prime so fuck that.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

:D

Man, imagine that conversation...

"Great news love, I've just blown two large on a space-age bog seat; pinching a loaf will never be the same again, and you can pleasure yourself too, at the same time!"

Knowing me and my DIY skills, even this would probably be wonky on the toilet, just like my £5.99 low tech, unheated wooden one...
Cavey wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

:D

Man, imagine that conversation...

"Great news love, I've just blown two large on a space-age bog seat; pinching a loaf will never be the same again, and you can pleasure yourself too, at the same time!"

Knowing me and my DIY skills, even this would probably be wonky on the toilet, just like my £5.99 low tech, unheated wooden one...

What do you mean, 'imagine'? That's virtually the same as how things went when I bought the telly. And the car. And the saucepans.
The Japs love their sci fi bog seats. It's only a matter of time before they invent the three seashells.

The Leaf has a heated steering wheel and it's bloody lovely - especially first thing when it's preheated so I don't have to scrape the windscreen and can just get in and drive off with a toasty bum and toasty hands.
Certainly passed me by, but it would seem that ten years ago, this happened.
OMG there's a wh...oh.
And Michael Jackson etc
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Certainly passed me by, but it would seem that ten years ago, this happened.

It was on the 21st.
I went to the ice hockey yesterday - Oxford City Stars v London Raiders. Other than one night last year, where I ended up watching a game on the TV in a bar in Washington DC with a couple of off-duty sailors who were explaining to me what was going on in exchange for me keeping them supplied with beer, I had never seen a match before and really had no idea what was going on or what to expect.

Observations:

- I'd forgotten how manky Oxford Ice Rink is.
- I was sitting in the bleachers, right near the action. I ducked a few times when a puck was flying towards the protective net
- I bought a team scarf. It hadn't occurred to me that watching a game at an ice rink might be a bit cold.
- I've never stood for the national anthem at a domestic game before. I was half-expecting them to play the 'Star-Spangled Banner' given the amount of cultural appropriation going on.
- It can be really hard to keep track of the puck
- 20 minute periods take a very long time with all the stoppages
- Whenever the players started fighting you could feel the bloodlust of the crowd.
- The music blasting from the speakers during the stoppages was a bit rubbish, other than the bleeped-out hiphop.
- I would like to think that pulling off the helmets and gloves before a major scrap was scripted. It looked pretty raw.
- The crowd were really friendly and I had some good conversations with people

The TL;DR is: I loved every moment, and the Oxford boys won. Huzzah!
Bruce Wayne would be turning in his grave.
I still need to get a Michael Jordan doormat.
Bat mat. One of DCs less successful attempts to expand the batman franchise. You thought they were scraping the barrel with bat-hound, but then along comes bat mat to beat up criminal masterminds.
1/10
I watched some of Batman the Movie last night. My word, I wasn't expecting much, but it is terrible!
The 1966 one with Adam West? I won't hear a bad word said about that film, it's pitched absolutely perfectly for the era ;)
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb
A DPhil student I was teaching to do molecular biology bought me it for my birthday. I should watch it.
GazChap wrote:
The 1966 one with Adam West? I won't hear a bad word said about that film, it's pitched absolutely perfectly for the era ;)

It is a wonderful film! Bobby you are a dick
It is quite clearly not "a wonderful film". It is funny (in a terrible sort of way), but it is awful.
Bobbyaro wrote:
It is quite clearly not "a wonderful film". It is funny (in a terrible sort of way), but it is awful.

Everything about it is amazing.
Lonewolves wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Everything about it is amazing.

:this:

It's not a very good Batman film when you compare it up against the likes of the Burton and Nolan jobbies, and if your only frame of reference is the grimdark Batman from the Burton films onwards, then you'd probably be wondering what the chuff is going on, but 60s Batman is campy and garish because that's what the comic was like at the time, and it fits perfectly.

The guys who wrote that film (and the TV series) deliberately didn't take much seriously and that's why it's a riot of a laugh - Jem's kids love it (although admittedly they're probably a bit young to fully appreciate the subtleties of it)

My favourite fact about that film is that Cesar Romero (the Joker) refused to shave his moustache off for the movie, so the makeup artists just painted the white face paint over the top of it.
DavPaz wrote:
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb

This is the greatest line in any film ever made.
I think I burst a rib from laughing when watching A Matter of Loaf and Death the other day, I totally wasn't expecting a reference to that scene.
My work laptop broke yesterday... I really do feel like I'm being phased out in this place now.
I am eating something called Wasabi Peas. They are large, spicy peas. They are quite nice. You should all try them.
MaliA wrote:
I am eating something called Wasabi Peas. They are large, spicy peas. They are quite nice. You should all try them.

Congratulations! You have entered the 1990s!
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:

You might want to go back there. Villa averaged 7th in the top league.
MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:

You might want to go back there. Villa averaged 7th in the top league.

*golf clap*
Page 3 of 60 [ 2971 posts ]