The Movie topic
...as there is none
Saturnalian wrote:
I thought Mark Hamil was in it? I hope he's not just resigned to being a cameo.

Oh, the theories. He wasn't on the poster either.

But the Vader-type guy was! DUN DUN DUN
Far e obvious but is it so obvious that it's not obvious?
I imagine it'll be a perfectly competent--even decent--film but I just can't find it in myself to give a fuck as a pure reaction to how much it's already ubiquitous. And that's going to get much, much worse before it gets better so I suspect by the time it's actually showing I'll be so sick of it all I'll have no intention of watching it. I'll probably see it some hungover Sunday years from now when Lovefilm delivers it to me and I want something unchallenging to look at for a while.
It would be a surprise if that was the case, though they are foreshadowing it a little.

I expect he will be in a more Yoda type role, as the grizzled veteran they have to find to unlock the Force within the newbies.

Or he could be the bad guy.

*shrugs*
DavPaz wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:
I thought Mark Hamil was in it? I hope he's not just resigned to being a cameo.

Oh, the theories. He wasn't on the poster either.

But the Vader-type guy was! DUN DUN DUN

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised to see Skywalker as the Sith in this.

Spoilered for conjecture.
He is in the trailer though, isn't he? Metallic hand on R2D2?
HOW DID I MISS THAT?

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Curiosity wrote:
He is in the trailer though, isn't he? Metallic hand on R2D2?

That's what I thought, yes - that bit was shown during the "I have it" bit of the V/O in the earlier trailer.
PEW PEW PEW WHUMMMM WHUMMMM SQUEEEEE!
Don't know what fucking thing is but it looks like it'll be a git:

Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Max Landis made this prediction re: Star Wars

Daisy whatshername is Luke's daughter.

Evil bad guy is Luke's son.
That would be a bit shit
Nah, the girl must be Leia's daughter.
The Martian is pretty good.

Certainly better than Interstellar, Happy Feet 2, monuments Men, Zero Theorum, Behind the Candlebra, promised Land, We bought a zoo, Margaret, contagion, adjustment bureaux, true grit, hereafter, green zone, Invictus or the informant.
I've just finished watching Jurassic World.

It was brilliant!
Cor, I'd forgotten how disappointing Blade Trinity was.

It was on TV last night, I fell asleep just as it was getting towards the end.
Blade Trinity is my favourite Blade movie. #stillwrongaboutmovies
Derek The Halls wrote:
Blade Trinity is my favourite Blade movie. #stillwrongaboutmovies

You must be trolling us now.
Blade Trinity is also tje best blade movie I've ever seen.
Mr Dave wrote:

I think Dave's doing a funny joke here.
Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Dave has only ever seen one Blade film.

And only about the last 5 minutes of it to boot. It looked shit.
It was.

I'm struggling to think of any way in which Blade 3 could be considered the best of the bunch. Other than humour, that is if you find Ryan Renold's forced wisecracking funny; it really was a steaming turd in every way.
Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Dave has only ever seen one Blade film.

Yes, that's the funny joke I was predicting.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Funny?

I wouldn't really go as far as joke myself.
Mr Dave wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Funny?

No, neither would I.
Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Funny?

No, neither would I.

Uou're the one who said I was, so clearly you found it hilarious.
Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Funny?

No, neither would I.

Uou're the one who said I was, so clearly you found it hilarious.

Clearly.
Back to the Future 2 still very good. Biff is very rapey though.
Yeah I saw a bit of both that and the first one yesterday when they were both on telly. Such good films.
All I know is I found Blade 3 the most enjoyable. More fun than the others. I'd put them in order Blade 3, Blade, Blade 2. Really didn't get on with Blade 2 at all. So there you go, gives you good reason to take the opposite of what I say about films to be what they are actually like. Or something.

I saw Suffragette today which was brilliantly acted, well directed and scripted but the constant dim lighting and handheld camera were a bit of a problem for me and detracted from what could have been much better. Still very important and worth watching though.
Blade 3 was an iPod advert from what I remember.
Which have also brought us good things like the Ting Tings' Shut Up and Let Me Go
Did the BTTF marathon at my local cinema on Wednesday. Tiring, but good.

BTTF1 is still the best of the three for me - and I noticed a few little things in there that I'd not noticed before. The one thing I can never understand about the plot is that, before Marty's time meddling, Biff is George's supervisor and treats him like shit. Fair enough, we see enough of that character throughout the 1955 portion of the film.

However, after Marty gets back to 1985, Biff is self employed as an auto detailer - nowt wrong here, of course - but George employs him to wash his car, and doesn't bat an eyelid when Biff comes into the house uninvited to bring in his new book when it's delivered. He even says "I've had to keep on top of Biff ever since high school", and then Lorraine says "Still, if it wasn't for him, we would have never met."

Nothing particularly bothersome here, apart from the fact that George decked Biff in 1955 because he was in the process of raping Lorraine! OK, you might forgive and forget in 30 years, but I'm not sure they'd talk of him like he'd introduced the two of them at a party one night or something.
Future Warrior wrote:
Biff is very rapey though.

That word is starting to get my heckles up a bit every time I see it. What does it mean, really? I guess as one of the most serious, life-impacting experiences a person can go through, rape doesn't need a cutesy side-term. If someone raise they are a rapist. If they don't rape then they are not. I don't understand there to be a middle ground between these too states that makes anyone a bit 'rapey'. I know you are quite sensitive to women's rights and are active in feminist circles, so I know you wouldn't make light of rape (and therefore know that you'd never say it to offend or be dismissive and that its just a turn of phrase, but personally I find it's an awkward one to keep reading.
Mimi wrote:
If someone raise they are a rapist. If they don't rape then they are not. I don't understand there to be a middle ground between these too states that makes anyone a bit 'rapey'.

The middle ground is attempted rape surely? I'm not speaking to whether 'rapey' is a good or bad word here but there is a third situation outside the two you list.
"Rapey" to me generally means rape/attempted rape is inferred, alluded to, or otherwise discussed, but not depicted. Or perhaps someone expressed attitudes associated with rape without actually committing the act itself.

That's the context I've heard it used in most.
Mimi wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

That word is starting to get my heckles up a bit every time I see it. What does it mean, really? I guess as one of the most serious, life-impacting experiences a person can go through, rape doesn't need a cutesy side-term. If someone raise they are a rapist. If they don't rape then they are not. I don't understand there to be a middle ground between these too states that makes anyone a bit 'rapey'. I know you are quite sensitive to women's rights and are active in feminist circles, so I know you wouldn't make light of rape (and therefore know that you'd never say it to offend or be dismissive and that its just a turn of phrase, but personally I find it's an awkward one to keep reading.

If you don't like me using it then I will be sensitive to that and refrain from doing so in future. :)
Without being interrupted, Biff would probably have raped Lorraine just a few yards from several hundred people.

And yet, 30 years later... "Hey Biff, you're a close family friend that can walk into our house any time without knocking. That Biff, such a character!"

I'd like to see what Biff was like in the 1985 that Marty finally settles in at the end of Part 3. The 1985 where he was given the Almanac and saw that it was genuine, then had it ripped away. I can't see that Biff becoming the mild-mannered doormat that we see at the end of Part 1
Bamba wrote:
Mimi wrote:
If someone raise they are a rapist. If they don't rape then they are not. I don't understand there to be a middle ground between these too states that makes anyone a bit 'rapey'.

The middle ground is attempted rape surely? I'm not speaking to whether 'rapey' is a good or bad word here but there is a third situation outside the two you list.

If someone is an attempted rapist then they have tried to rape someone therefore is a rapist as far as I'm concerned. The fact that they've failed doesn't put them halfway between rapist and innocent.
U
Future Warrior wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

If you don't like me using it then I will be sensitive to that and refrain from doing so in future. :)

I wouldn't ask you or anyone to do that, not for me anyway, but I know you've worked hard on being sensitive to triggers these past months and years, and that's justvincreasingly becoming one of mine. Anyway, sorry about my tired brain spurt, back to the more fun thing of movies :)
Mimi wrote:
U
Future Warrior wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

I wouldn't ask you or anyone to do that, not for me anyway, but I know you've worked hard on being sensitive to triggers these past months and years, and that's justvincreasingly becoming one of mine. Anyway, sorry about my tired brain spurt, back to the more fun thing of movies :)

If someone who I love and respect tells me they are sensitive to a particular word or phrase, why wouldn't I stop using it?
Future Warrior wrote:
Mimi wrote:
U
Future Warrior wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:

If someone who I love and respect tells me they are sensitive to a particular word or phrase, why wouldn't I stop using it?

I'm sensitive to the sound of your voice. Could you stop using it please.

That Somalian brogue... Awful.
Mr Dave wrote:
I'm sensitive to the sound of your voice. Could you stop using it please.

That Somalian brogue... Awful.

No
'Weekend'.

Naturalistic and touching film about falling in love. One of those films where the cinematography, the dialogue, and the performances are all so good that the story feels completely authentic. Tom Cullen's performance in particular is superb: you really want him to get the happiness he deserves.

Bit of dust in my eye at the end.
Live. Die. Repeat: groundhog day but without the feelgood stuff and Bill Murray replaced with Tom Cruise, the groundhog with FUTURE WEAPONS and an alien invasion & Puxtansawy with Utah Beach. And BOOM BOOM KAPOW! ensues with Emily Blunt being a Full Metal Bitch. Pretty good outing for all involved
Live. Die. Repeat: groundhog day dispenses with the feelgood stuff and replaces Bill Murray with Tom Cruise, the groundhog with FUTURE WEAPONS and an alien invasion & Puxtansawy with Utah Beach. And BOOM BOOM KAPOW! ensues with Emily Blunt being a Full Metal Bitch. Pretty good outing for all involved
Great concept review.
Page 252 of 423 [ 21122 posts ]