DOOM
Doom, Doom, Doooooo-um.

Well that didn't show much but there'll soon be more in, what, a couple of weeks.

So let's guess what New Doom will have:

1) All new gen consoles and no last gen. PC, obv.
2) Spangley PC tech that that guy at ID has probably created again.
3) Largely campaign focused (yay!).
4) A multiplayer mode.
5) A return to its shooter roots.

Go, speculate!
Please be better than Doom 3.

Provided the gamma correction slider works this time, I'm down :P
IMO, Doom 1 and 2 are in the top 10 best games of all time. It's going to have a hard time topping those (and breaking down the walls of prejudice I hold against it) .
It'll be shite.
I heard they are going back to the doom bible.

However Romero said the best bits of DooM came from when they ignored the bible.

He warned that it might not be as good as it could be if they stick to it.
Zardoz wrote:
It'll be shite.

I liked Rage, and both recent Wolfensteins have been great.
If I had to choose a game to be #1 of all time I think it would have to be Doom.

And Doom 3 is awesomfabs, I must have completed it at least 3 times, and I still get an urge to install it now and then. And none of that flashlight mod nonsense, puh-lease.
Saturnalian wrote:

Carmack left iD two years ago, so: nope.
Ahh, but I was referring to Jim. Jim Johnson Jnr. Nice guy. New about the place. Keeps himself to himself but a cracking programmer. Jimmmmmey his friends say to him when they meet him in the canteen. A really lovely guy.
lasermink wrote:
And Doom 3 is awesomfabs, I must have completed it at least 3 times, and I still get an urge to install it now and then. And none of that flashlight mod nonsense, puh-lease.

:this:
If Bethesda are involved surely that will mean that the engine will crash a million times an hour and all of the NPCs will have really ropey animations that constantly glitch out like something out of Goat Simulator.
Or be pretty damn slick, like Wolfenstein: The New Order.
http://kotaku.com/doom-4s-earlier-scrap ... 1705364162

Look at this video in the link - that was someone's vision of Doom. That WAS Doom, for a time. Was Doom a third person cover shooter? Sure looks that way to me. I am suddenly worried about Doom.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Carmack left iD two years ago, so: nope.

Is there anyone left from the original doom team by this point?
Saturnalian wrote:
I've just reminded myself that Rage was "utter dog shit".

viewtopic.php?style=19&f=3&t=7820&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Rage&start=30

a) How do I get from BEEXMOBILE to BEEXNORMAL
b) Why does the mobile site have "vote for POTW" thumbs but the normal site doesn't?

This is discrimination.
a) Get rid of "style=19&"
b) Because it was hard to do on a mobile.
Grim... wrote:

I think I'm missing something. You added that button because it was hard to do <something> on a mobile? How do I do <something> on a desktop? (send a pm ?)
Pod wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I think I'm missing something. You added that button because it was hard to do <something> on a mobile? How do I do <something> on a desktop? (send a pm ?)

Yes indeed, to "Beex Weeker" or something like that. But no-one pays attention to them any more.
Hopefully it'll be a decent romp. As said, last two Wolfies have been pretty decent.

I think Carmack leaving may have been for the best. He's a bit old fashioned when it comes to game design. RAGE was OK but a bit simple and basic.
I don't know this for sure, but I'd place a big pile of money on the fact that John Carmack had nothing to do with the game design of Rage. He didn't even have anything to do with the game design of Doom, for instance. (Or even anything since ID started -- Keen for instance).

Tim Willits is probably the person to blame for the decline since Quake. (i.e. when Romero left)
It's coming.

Gameplay trailer herewith for you to complain about:

Stomping on faces, climbing structures and shooting stuff until they explode all seem to be new. Apart from the latter.
Mmm...creamy goodness.
Looks a bit too stealthy for me.
Grim... wrote:
Looks a bit too stealthy for me.

Is the title of your plagarising sex tape.
Finally some actual footage of the game being played.

*warning* Includes excitable crowd noises throughout. *warning*

I thought it looked a bit boring, repetitive, didn't show any outstanding level design and I didn't like the chainsaw neither.
Jesus, that looks dull. Why doesn't he kill any of the monsters? They'll add a dialog wheel next.
I hope it has RPG-like levelling up elements.
not exactly ground breaking, but looks like a fairly decent romp. There's obviously been a lot of effort put into it and seems to play smoothly. The monsters seem a bit shit, and the level design does look repetitive, but I'd still buy it.
New Doom campaign trailer is out.

Part of me thinks it looks uninspired with the same furnace environments that makes me want to roll my eyes, and then another part of me wonders whether they've gone for Old Doom combat and crazy nonsense that'll be a ton of fun.

I was previously sure that it'd be a load of old dirty socks in a teenagers bin but now I'm confused that it might just actually be groovy fun.

I think it looks brilliant. I do love a good straight up single player shooter, e.g. the last two Wolfenstein games, this looks like them but morererer.
markg wrote:
I think it looks brilliant. I do love a good straight up single player shooter, e.g. the last two Wolfenstein games, this looks like them but morererer.

:this:

IDSPISPOPD
IDDQD
IDKFA
I played a few hours of this over the weekend, via the closed private beta (I got an invite through buying Wolfenstein.)

I was pretty impressed. MP is an unapologetic arena shooter. You move really, really fast (like 3x or 4x the movement speed of a CoD style shooter), and you can double jump so there's quite a bit of verticality too. Pickups are chunky and glowing, which is another old-school touch. The beta had two game modes: team deathmatch and warpath. The latter is like King of the Hill (get to zone to capture it, then hold it against the other team) except the zone moves around the level at about 1/2 of walking speed. This was pretty cool.

One downside is the weapons didn't feel all that... well, meaty, I guess. But perhaps I'm just pining for Unreal Tournament's flak cannon. They do all have alt-fire modes, which opens up tactical options that are often missing in modern shooters.
I could be all over this with enough Bezziage.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I played a few hours of this over the weekend, via the closed private beta (I got an invite through buying Wolfenstein.)

Is that finished now? I've had that card knocking around for years it seems.
markg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Is that finished now? I've had that card knocking around for years it seems.

I think its still valid until some point later today
Fucksake. Oh well I'll be buying it anyway and I'm mostly interested in the campaign.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
One downside is the weapons didn't feel all that... well, meaty, I guess. But perhaps I'm just pining for Unreal Tournament's flak cannon. They do all have alt-fire modes, which opens up tactical options that are often missing in modern shooters.

I also tried the beta over the weekend (PS4) and this was my biggest gripe - I was playing assualt so using a rocket launcher and it needed maybe about 5 direct hits to kill - I understand that a one hit kill for a standard weapon may be a bit of a challenge but the amount of damage I needed to kill seemed to be too much.
zaphod79 wrote:
I think its still valid until some point later today

And thats wrong - it finished last night

http://doom.com/en-gb/beta

Quote:
When is the Closed Beta test?

Starting: Thursday, March 31, 2016 @ 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time (UTC – 5)

End: Sunday, April 3, 2016 @ 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (UTC – 5)
Not mine but if you want to see what the gameplay on the beta looks like

zaphod79 wrote:
I also tried the beta over the weekend (PS4) and this was my biggest gripe - I was playing assualt so using a rocket launcher and it needed maybe about 5 direct hits to kill - I understand that a one hit kill for a standard weapon may be a bit of a challenge but the amount of damage I needed to kill seemed to be too much.

I guess the problem is you can spawn with a rocket launcher and a decent amount of ammo. It's a default gun, now, rather than a contested map pickup, so it has to be powered accordingly. Did you ever manage to get any of the "power weapons" you can pick up? I didn't, although I think I was on the wrong end of them a few times. Those are more parallel to the power of the rocket launcher in old Doom, maybe.

I didn't get on with the rocket launcher at all. Plasma rifle, lightning gun, and super shotgun for me.
Really like the look of this. I do like my old skool shooters :)
Yeah, this looks right up my street.
BOOM! Schlick-schlock

Does that happen?
Accidentally jumped on the hype train for this and preordered it.
Page 1 of 14 [ 674 posts ]