The holiday thread
where are you going?
So, where is everyone going on summer vacations?

Due to some professional uncertainties and my wife's work i still haven't decided. This was the year that i expected to make an american road trip, but that seems unlikely as we won't have the time for that.

I would love to go to Iceland, but i'm sure my wife's prefers something warmer. Maybe we'll go to Madeira or Azores (for the second time...loved it the first i went there). Or even the Canary Islands.
To Spain. On my Harley. Next week. Can't wait. :)
Eurodisney, in August (I think).
Just come back from Vegas. Got a couple of long weekends (Scotland and Riems) coming up, and might try and get a week in the sun at the end of summer.
My daughter is being a total fanny about getting on a plane. Because of wuss.

So somewhere that I can get to on a ferry or possibly the euro tunnel with an 8 year old asking "How many more minutes?" every other minute.

I am going to The Isle Of Man for a long weekend though if that counts?
I don't like holidays.
Iceland is amazing, you'll only need a few days, but you should definitely go.

No plans this year for us, I think Mrs t will do a cheap week in zante or something with her sister towards the end of summer, but i'm not bothered about doing that. Id rather save a bit of cash and do a Vegas blowout next year before any money vacuums arrive on the scene.
Trousers wrote:

So somewhere that I can get to on a ferry or possibly the euro tunnel with an 8 year old asking "How many more minutes?" every other minute.

Chloroform. It works.
it didn't work for Maddie.
Trooper wrote:
Id rather save a bit of cash and do a Vegas blowout next year.

Oh yeah, also totally going back to Vegas next year.
I was expecting that this thread would give me ideas for my own vacations.

Be more creative. Fuck Vegas.
Had 9 days on Arran already, heading down to Yorkshire next month to play on bikes & watch druggies fly up a hill for a few seconds, and then once the summer cools a bit we're going climbing for a week or so in Fontainebleau. Other than that I'm in the quiet season at work so I should have a fair few long weekends of fannying around in the hills to look forward to :)

Cavey wrote:
That's my kind of holiday, as much about the journey as the destination :metul:
RuySan wrote:
Be more creative. Fuck Vegas.

Just think of all the STDs.
We went to Caister-on-Sea.

I will have a long weekend in Derby too.
Cavey wrote:

Old Man and Mummy Afterthought have just returned from Spain on the Bonneville. They had a grand old time. I get the impression that Mummy Afterthought preferred the HD, though.
3 nights in Stow on the Wold and, erm, that's sorta it. No real plans.
Craster-On-Sea? Sounds gingery.

We are going to Portmeirion tomorrow, because Yesterday Chloe told me I should go there, so now I am. Just a weekend, but will be nice.

After the wedding we are going for two nights somewhere (UK, IVE FORGOTTEN WHERE) then two nights anotherwhere, again uk, again forgotten but will be Oxford or Cambridge I believe. Just cheap hotel things, but who cares about the hotel? I don't really. I've never been on a 'proper' holiday but hope hope hope that if things go ok we can have just a few days away late in the year, abroad, if we can hopefully maybe find something available when such things are a bit more affordable. I'd like to go to Sweden or Denmark, or Iceland, Greenland, Finland... One of those, or maybe Switzerland, near the alps, but not to ski.
We went to Disneyworld for two weeks in March/April, which was our holiday for the year. So we may be going to Disneyworld for two weeks in October.
Mimi wrote:

We are going to Portmeirion tomorrow, because Yesterday Chloe told me I should go there, so now I am. Just a weekend, but will be nice.

After the wedding we are going for two nights somewhere (UK, IVE FORGOTTEN WHERE) then two nights anotherwhere, again uk, again forgotten but will be Oxford or Cambridge I believe. Just cheap hotel things, but who cares about the hotel? I don't really. I've never been on a 'proper' holiday but hope hope hope that if things go ok we can have just a few days away late in the year, abroad, if we can hopefully maybe find something available when such things are a bit more affordable. I'd like to go to Sweden or Denmark, or Iceland, Greenland, Finland... One of those, or maybe Switzerland, near the alps, but not to ski.

Why not Norway? Been there on 2012 and it was my favourite vacation ever.
RuySan wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Why not Norway? Been there on 2012 and it was my favourite vacation ever.

Norway is awful... (No, not really, I thought I'd included it in the list I typed, but today my mind is disorganised). Yeah, I'd love to go to Norway, wear a few amazing jumpers and such.
Trooper wrote:
Iceland is amazing, you'll only need a few days, but you should definitely go.

Fun Fact! The population of Iceland (320,000) is pretty much the same as the population of Wirral (319,800)
Mimi wrote:

Fuerteventura in early october could show you some super warm off season surfing. Viking land and Cowbell land is right expensive most of the time. my friend works over in Basel and it's eyewateringly hard on the pocket most of the time he goes out for anything.
Wullie wrote:

:)

Seriously, I can't wait mate. Never done stuff like this before, been promising it myself for a long time - too long.

Mrs C and my bud's missus are flying out a few days later, once we've completed the "road trip" element.
Surfing? I can't even swim.
Mimi wrote:

<handwaves>
I like France, they seem to have it sewn up pretty good, with 35 hour working weeks and ignoring the laws that are rubbish and setting fire to stuff if the rubbish laws try to get enforced. The food is good and the weather is bearable. I'd live there is I could, but MrsA wouldn't because her family is in Buxton and she cant speak Fench. She wouldn't take shitpants to "Baby French" as she couldn't speak it but seemed oblivious to the SALIENT POINT that shitpants can't even FUCKING TALK beyond screaming and gurgling right now but it's saved me some cash so instead I've been doing French and German with her already but nobody seems to care. Germany is pretty good, too, but with less of the setting fire to things. I'm not sure how I'd feel about Spain and Italy. I think I'll just go to France forevre more in case I went to a coutnry that wasn't quite as good so I'll start with Martinique.
Trousers wrote:

The IoM is going to be my practice republic for when I install myself as a benvolent dictator there. Before i make a start on Sri Lanka.
Oh, Don't go to the middle east. It's all shit, unless you like rocks.
Cavey wrote:
Never done stuff like this before...
Now I'm properly jealous. Hope you enjoy it & I hope you get the taste for it.
Cavey wrote:
Wullie wrote:

:)

Seriously, I can't wait mate. Never done stuff like this before, been promising it myself for a long time - too long.

Mrs C and my bud's missus are flying out a few days later, once we've completed the "road trip" element.

You are going to love it.
Had a 9 days in Tuscany a couple of weeks back, going for 5 days in Brittany in a couple of weeks, got a stag do in Bucharest. Probably go to somewhere else end of September for a week.
No real plans at the moment. Probably going to wait until September but might disappear sooner once I get a leaving date for my current job.

Toying with hiking in Northern Ireland this year.

Mimi: when I get home I'll find the link for renting rooms in Oxbridge colleges (more authentic!). Happy to show you round Oxford and teach you to punt, and like all BeeXers you two are always welcome to stay at Kern Hall.
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:

<handwaves>

Isn't fuerteventura too windy for proper surfing?

I do bodyboard and i really can't stand even soft on-shore of side-shore wind. I'd rather not even waste gasoline in those days.
I may possibly be going to Tenby for a week and also possibly another week in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival, which I've never done before so could be good. I did a shitload of overtime over the last bank holiday weekend in order to earn myself enough cash for a holiday of some description.
I'm going over to Englandshire in July, to somewhere near Stroud. We'll also be visiting The Principality of Wales, and someone called Dean, who has a forest.

I have had all my injections and everything.

Hopefully next year, we will get to go on an actual proper holiday, although chances are relatively slim, seeing as half of the kids have A levels/GCSEs and the summer holidays will be prohibitively expensive. Still, I'm not opposed to leaving them behind for a week.
Kern wrote:
Mimi: when I get home I'll find the link for renting rooms in Oxbridge colleges (more authentic!).

Here: http://www.universityrooms.com/
I was going to Turkey for ten days all-inclusive. Now, I'm not.
flis wrote:
I'm going over to Englandshire in July, to somewhere near Stroud. We'll also be visiting The Principality of Wales, and someone called Dean, who has a forest.

Hopefully next year, we will get to go on an actual proper holiday, although chances are relatively slim, seeing as half of the kids have A levels/GCSEs and the summer holidays will be prohibitively expensive. Still, I'm not opposed to leaving them behind for a week.

That's where Mr Chris lives, and a few miles from where I grew up.
Cras wrote:
flis wrote:

That's where Mr Chris lives, and a few miles from where I grew up.

CANCEL. CANCEL.

I'm fairly sure that any insurance you have covers this eventuality.
I had four days in Rome which we're amazing, then we had a week in Turkey last month which was nice and warm and relaxing. Probably not going to do anything else until after the wedding which is a week in Vegas then a week in Mexico next April.
An exciting tour of Sheffield, Huddersfield and Ledbury...hopefully.
Had a week in Spain and will also have a week at my parents in Yorkshire

Rest of the time will be spent blowing holiday on unforeseen child care days I would expect.
Come and visit if you're in West yorks!
We've booked a cottage on the Gower peninsula in Wales for the first week of August — I love the Gower, it's such a beautiful place and I have many fond memories from childhood holidays there. We're then going to Pembroke for a weekend in a swanky hotel. That's it, so far. May try and go away in October as well, possibly the lakes in Italy.
Expensive day today.

Me and future Mrs Bluecup are getting married in September but have never done a beach/sun type holiday before but fancy a relaxing one for the honeymoon. So have been looking around, went in to a shop and picked out a nice looking posh resort place in Rhodes, all inclusive for 7 days. No idea if it's a in place to go but should be relaxing and we started going round in circles looking for somewhere.
But future Mrs Bluecup is also a big Disney fan so when we come back we are heading off again to Disneyland Paris for 3 days.

Booked all this today.
Sounds ace Bluecup!
Thank you. Been saving for the wedding for a few years now so are spoiling ourselves with the two trips.
Oddly, I got an email invoice for the Kiwi backpackers in Dunedin this morning. Odd, because it was for the 28th February. I was there then; can't quite believe it was so recently that I was that far away. So, to answer the question, I don't know where I'll go for my holiday but I'm going away within the UK every weekend to keep mad 'why haven't I changed location for several days?' thoughts at bay. Up until April I was in the last months of a year (and more)'s break, so had January in Australia - Ashes, doh, and Aussie Open - then New Zealand Jan and Feb, Hawaii because it's on the way to the States and why not, then the US for most of March, Toronto for a couple of days and Iceland for three. All of which was fabulous, perhaps with NZ as a highlight, though the welcome from small-town America in Oregon was spectacularly good.
That's some amazing travelling. Good work!
DBSnappa wrote:
We've booked a cottage on the Gower peninsula in Wales for the first week of August — I love the Gower, it's such a beautiful place and I have many fond memories from childhood holidays there. We're then going to Pembroke for a weekend in a swanky hotel. That's it, so far. May try and go away in October as well, possibly the lakes in Italy.

I, too, had childhood holidays there.

It rained. A lot.
Page 1 of 3 [ 111 posts ]