PCVR
Not PSVR. Learn to read.
http://www.oculusvr.com/

No thread on this? And we call ourselves gamers?

I'm seriously tempted to order a dev kit, as they are apparently shipping the next round of them in August.
I wonder how long till the commercial version is ready though? At least another year I suspect.

Anyone tried one?
I'm very intrigued by it but in no hurry to become an early adopter. I think I'll leave it a bit and see if there's an Opti-Grab type lawsuit.
The main problem I have with it, is that you can only tell what it is like when you actually use it. All the reading and videos make no difference, you hav to try it to see. Which is tricky to do without buying one at the moment!

I have the same issue with people selling TVs on TV...
Trooper wrote:

"Look at that HD picture! Of course, you can't see it on your screen at home, but WOW!"
Trooper wrote:

A triple decker TV? Sign me up!
Some people claim the Magic Eye cross-eyed thing works with the YouTube videos. I've had no success.

Do want, though. Even though I don't play games any more. With a desktop kinect and rift my hypothetical uber-editor would be super-uber.
I was totally on the fence about this until I found out that Elite Dangerous will support it.
Wait, they're only $300?
You've seen the latest dev video, haven't you? I couldn't have given less of a shit about Occulus Rift until seeing that, but the whole thing with being able to easily look around your cockpit whilst in flight looks amazing!
$300!? That's only £600 sterling (RRP). Probably.

But, yeah, at that price I could see it taking off. And if it got enough momentum the price might drop.
Saturnalian wrote:

But, yeah, at that price I could see it taking off. And if it got enough momentum the price might drop.

That £300 is for the dev kit version, presumably the consumer version will be cheaper again anyway as with other hardware. Unless they go cheap on the dev versions to get people working on it and claw the money back by charging more for the consumer versions but that seems like a bad strategy; people's price expectations will be set by seeing that £300 so going higher risks putting people off.
I want GTA in Occulus Rift. Not for death and rape and murder you understand, but to explore the very real-feeling and flesh out environments.

More than $300.
Isn't this just a posh Virtual Reality headset?
TheVision wrote:
Isn't this just a posh Virtual Reality headset?

Actually no. The idea is that it's not posh. It's supposed to be cheap and affordable.
Any game where the control of your viewpoint is decided for you (like Mirror's Edge above) is a recipe for vomit.
Looking at the list of games that that have proposed support there's some odd entries; Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was a third-person brawler so unless they're changing the game entirely for the sequel I'm not sure how that'll work. Playing Kairo on the Rift would be fucking glorious though.
Bamba wrote:
Looking at the list of games that that have proposed support there's some odd entries; Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was a third-person brawler so unless they're changing the game entirely for the sequel I'm not sure how that'll work. Playing Kairo on the Rift would be fucking glorious though.

Minecraft! Sold!
Bamba wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

That £300 is for the dev kit version, presumably the consumer version will be cheaper again anyway as with other hardware.

Dollars, not pounds. And maybe it will be cheaper, but maybe not - the consumer version is going to have higher-res screens and more sensitive motion equipment, which might push the cost up. I hope not, though.
all the developer access and carmack hoisting public fever is going to get the suppliers engorged for slimmer margins.
New prototype out, that has position tracking and a 1080p OLED screen

The space combat game at 13:30 looks amazing.
Gotta admit, when they announced that Elite: Dangerous will probably support this, my interest shot up quite a bit.
But I still don't understand how you're supposed to operate a keyboard while using it. Maybe you just absolutely need a programmable joystick+thrust combo with a shitload of buttons on it.
I'd imagine you'd be able to feel your way around okay.
lasermink wrote:
But I still don't understand how you're supposed to operate a keyboard while using it.
sit in front of keyboard; Locate keyboard; Put rift on; Keep in mind you're actually still sat in a chair in front of a computer and not throw yourself around the room like a tit?

What it needs is something like, oh, kinect, so games can float a virtual interface in the game world that you interact with using gestures. The virtual one could even map 1:1 to the physical HID.
BikNorton wrote:
lasermink wrote:
But I still don't understand how you're supposed to operate a keyboard while using it.
sit in front of keyboard; Locate keyboard; Put rift on; Keep in mind you're actually still sat in a chair in front of a computer and not throw yourself around the room like a tit?

I guess it only works if you can type in the dark though. I could get away with typing actual words, but trying to locate particular function keys etc would be tricky.
I just figure nerds playing games with that complex a set of keys can touch type them all anyway. Like the Korean starcraft players, only not as good.

Also I edited that post. Everyone go back and look at my edit.
British Nervoso wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
lasermink wrote:

I guess it only works if you can type in the dark though. I could get away with typing actual words, but trying to locate particular function keys etc would be tricky.

Exactly. In space sims you often have only split seconds to hit particular f-keys.

Edit: And the problem is in particular if you're using a joystick , you don't have your hands on the keyboard all the time.
lasermink wrote:
But I still don't understand how you're supposed to operate a keyboard while using it. Maybe you just absolutely need a programmable joystick+thrust combo with a shitload of buttons on it.

I have a shaped keyboard which makes locating keys without looking rather easy, so no problems here.
How many f keys will you need? I've managed to play games for years using various controllers without needing to look at them. 99% of PC stuff works with a 360 controller these days.
Trooper wrote:
How many f keys will you need? I've managed to play games for years using various controllers without needing to look at them. 99% of PC stuff works with a 360 controller these days.

Well, with Oculus Rift I would be mostly interested in space sims and flight simulators, which traditionally use a combination of joystick and many, many keys.
You could use voice activation. Also I like the concept of mapping through kinect!
Bobbyaro wrote:
You could use voice activation.
I doubt it, have you seen the thing?
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Attachment:
oculus rift.jpg
Trooper wrote:

My old competition Counter Strike layout used every key I had.
Genius idea!

I really want to try Oculus Rift, but I really want the consumer version long term, rather than the dev kit, so I didn't want to waste my money on a dev kit.

Ebay has dev kits going for around £250-300. I buy one, I try it for a month or so, I re-sell it on ebay for a similar price!

See you in five, i'm off to the future of gaming...
Looks almost as good as the Virtual Boy.
You aren't a true gamer unless you play through the splitting headaches!
Most people who have used one seem to have come away quite impressed and without headcahes, but those people are probably idiots.
I've setup my auction sniper, so hopefully I will be the trial Beex idiot soon. I will report back.
Invite me over when you get one ;)
Will do, if i've still got one over the summer i'll bring it to the beexbq too.
I'm not sure how good it would taste.
FourxBQ (cos you eat food with forks).
Just looking through at stuff I want to try out.

Euro Truck Simulator 2
Eve: Valkyrie
Surgeon Simulator
Assetto Corsa

That should keep me happy. I'm imagining Surgeon Simulator is going to be hilarious. :D
Is that 1st person edition of gta4 widely available?
British Nervoso wrote:

I think we're going for B4rBeeQue
Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

I think we're going for B4rBeeQue

Ah.
Page 1 of 23 [ 1105 posts ]