Lego (picture-rich thread)
lubbly stuff

Post picture of awesome Lego.

leGO!
Ta for the Death Star Lego video Pupil matey. It was tops! :D

Posted elsewhere, but Lego Rammstein!
I must dig out the link to the Lego Escher stuff. It's super awesome.
CraigGrannell wrote:
Want one.

Me too, that's lovely.
'Fancy' pieces, but still...

ZOMG
The lego Escher stuff is great, I used to visit that site quite often.

Zardoz, I wouldn't like that picture, but for the detail of the little bit of blood creeping in a small pool over the edge. Genius.
nervouspete wrote:
Ta for the Death Star Lego video Pupil matey. It was tops! :D

:D Dunno where I saw that before, I thought it might have been on here.

Also, super geeky but super cool:

http://www.nathanbrickartist.com/han_solo_in_carbonite.html

Oh yeah, he also did that grey face one Zardoz posted. Talented guy!
Damn, this guy is good!

Not strictly Lego:

Also, don't you hate it when people try to pluralise Lego?
How the hell does the flag pole support the weight of the flag?
Yes, it transforms.
Ah, probably doesn't. Hence the pose in the photo.
Since finding a Lego store in Milton Keynes a few months ago, my entirely fictional 'nephew'* has been treated to some awesome Indiana Jones Lego sets and may soon be getting some of the Lego Ferrari stuff as well, the lucky swine!

*otherwise known as me, aged 29.
Zardoz wrote:
How the hell does the flag pole support the weight of the flag?

Don't some people cheat and use glue?
Zio wrote:
Since finding a Lego store in Milton Keynes a few months ago, my entirely fictional 'nephew'* has been treated to some awesome Indiana Jones Lego sets and may soon be getting some of the Lego Ferrari stuff as well, the lucky swine!

I am borrowing my wife and her brother's old City Lego stuff from my in-laws for my son. Yes. For my 18 month old son. Not for me. Similarly with me reclaiming my giant box of Castle Leego from my parents' loft. This is not at all so I can spend my evenings in one of the loft rooms making giant castles.

Lego was better in the 80s and early 90s, I reckon. Less silly custom pieces, and kits could be combined and used more imaginatively.
TheVision wrote:
Don't some people cheat and use glue?

*Gob smacked*

Glue Lego? How can they sleep at night?
Making bastardised spaceships/cars/fortresses was way more fun than creating the proper models. I think I only ever bothered doing the proper models once then me and my brother would make the most fucked up inventions possible with the bits we had. Lego is such an incredible learning tool for kids imaginations. Best invention, ever.

Oh yeah, Technic Lego was for nerd kids. FUCKING NERRRRRRRRRRDS!!!
Mr Chris wrote:
Lego was better in the 80s and early 90s, I reckon. Less silly custom pieces, and kits could be combined and used more imaginatively.

Seconded. Give a kid a box of LEGO with a horse's head in it, and he makes a horse. Give him a box of plain old LEGO bricks, and he makes anything...
This might be a good time to mention that my sister works for Lego, and get the majority of items at knock-down prices. Shame I'm not a big lego fan ;)

Suffice to say our nephews *always* get lego for their birthdays, which could be worse.
pupil wrote:
Making bastardised spaceships/cars/fortresses was way more fun than creating the proper models. I think I only ever bothered doing the proper models once then me and my brother would make the most fucked up inventions possible with the bits we had. Lego is such an incredible learning tool for kids imaginations. Best invention, ever.

Exactly. But the new stuff (especially the "themed" stuff), has such specific peices that it's like making a very basic model, as the bits will only really go together one way. And a lot of them have so few pieces! The Harry Potter stuff being a good bad example of both of these gripes.
Ian Osborne wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Seconded. Give a kid a box of LEGO with a horse's head in it, and he makes a horse. Give him a box of plain old LEGO bricks, and he makes anything...

Absolutely thirded. One of my proudest moments in life was coming first place in the West Herts. Boys Brigade Lego Contest when I was about 9, with a spectacular Lego beach scene, complete with small pier and lighthouse.

As a kid, I also managed to knock up such wonders as a Lego DeLorean and a Lego Ecto-1. I really should see if my parents still have any of my old Lego stuff up in the loft.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
This might be a good time to mention that my sister works for Lego

Shouldn't this be a feature in the bargains thread? ;) :luv: pweese
There's money to be made here, Comical...
If Lego are like any other manufacturer there will be a limit on the amount of stuff she's allowed to buy at cut down prices, and a restriction on reselling it. :(
Grim... wrote:
There's money to be made here, Comical...

I'm almost positive the caveat of getting stuff cheaper is that she's not allowed to sell it on, by proxy or otherwise ;)
I was odd in that I (no doubt influence by my parents 'helping') kept all my Lego seperated by colour. And unlike all my friends, didn't just grab random shaped and coloured bricks and stick them together when making stuff.

Building the 'proper' models had to be attempted at least once, if only so you could say you'd done it. I made the giant spaceship I was given once... it had no less than three huge seperate pieces - a front double-cockpit bit, a rear docking frame, and a space trailer-style lab that 'docked' into the frame. Together, it formed a huge, heavy ship that was impressive to look at but was almost impossible to pick up without knocking one of the legs off or one of the improvised hinges giving up and something falling out.

So I built a model of the (PC original) Silpheed with the bits instead. Can't find any pictures of it, though.

Apparently, the little Lego people are called 'minifigs'.
MetalAngel wrote:
I was odd in that I (no doubt influence by my parents 'helping') kept all my Lego separated by colour.

Freak!

Huge big plastic tubs, full of all kinds of random Lego, dog hair, half eaten biscuits, star wars figure weapons and broken bits of transformer FTW!
I kept my lego in one big tub, but took special care when building as to the colours used. And whoa-be-fucking-tide if anyone bit my Lego when helping me take stuff apart.
The thing is, even the old-style LEGO sets came with a series of 'projects', which gave you instructions on building the designs pictured on the box. The difference is that when you'd built them, you could adapt, modify and redesign the models as much as you liked, or ignore the projects completely and build your own stuff. Today's LEGO does a great job of recreating the images on the box, but the pieces are so geared up for the designs in question there's precious little else you can do with them afterwards.
Zardoz wrote:
I kept my lego in one big tub, but took special care when building as to the colours used. And whoa-be-fucking-tide if anyone bit my Lego when helping me take stuff apart.

Tons of our Lego was either chewed by kids or the hoover. I think you would have been very upset to see the state of it.

There is a part of me that goes "WOAH! FUCKING COOL! INDIANA JONES LEGO!" as I know I would have loved this as a kid, but as stated, the greatest joy is making your own inventions, which these new "themed" sets are hardly capable of these days.
pupil wrote:
There is a part of me that goes "WOAH! FUCKING COOL! INDIANA JONES LEGO!" as I know I would have loved this as a kid

I think that's the problem. Themed sets are simply more marketable than 'ordinary' LEGO, even if it's a step backwards in the quality stakes. :(
Zio wrote:

you live in milton keynes?
I see your 29 and raise you a 35. And I have a cupboard at my parents' full - oh so full - of boxes of the Star Wars stuff. It's actually not a bad investment - I've tended to get a couple of sets (cough, 3 star destroyers, cough) if I've found them cheap and they have so far gone up in value - paid for a flight to China with some proceeds.

But still far far too much. If I ever buy a house it'll have to have a spare room for Lego.
Zardoz wrote:

:this:

Romanista, I don't live in Milton Keynes (to quote Bono: "where the streets have no names"), but live a fairly short motorway journey from it. It has a big shopping centre, so I go up there from time to time to purchase consumables.
Ian Osborne wrote:
Seconded. Give a kid a box of LEGO with a horse's head in it, and you'll keep a therapist in work for years.

Sequel-to-Seven FTFY.
pupil wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
I was odd in that I (no doubt influence by my parents 'helping') kept all my Lego separated by colour.

Freak!

Huge big plastic tubs, full of all kinds of random Lego, dog hair, half eaten biscuits, star wars figure weapons and broken bits of transformer FTW!

NOOOOOOO!!! You are the freak! How can you treat Lego in that way!? I'm almost having a panic attack thinking about it...omg...omg...

My Lego was separated by colour, of course, and I had a big bucket full of various 'specials' and another with Technic stuff in it. No-one was allowed to touch my Lego. I had a tiny bedroom and my mum always used to get sick and tired of standing all over it to get in to my room so one day, after threatening to throw it in the bin if I didn't clear it up, I came home to find my floor bereft of Lego....This episode surely scarred me for life. She had actually only hidden it in a bin bag under the stairs but I have never felt so gut wrenchingly sick in all my life as I did that day.

I bought myself a Technic bulldozer a few months ago, it's ace. I want more! I have 2 boys and the eldest barely looks at the Lego I've bought them, the youngest goes through fazes of playing with it, mostly to make robots, guns and cars but nothing like I used to, whole weekends used to be lost to creating fortresses, towns, fairgrounds, space ships...everything had to have 'secret' rooms, compartments and entrances....argh, I want to buy a huge box of Lego now!!
flis wrote:
pupil wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

Freak!

NOOOOOOO!!! You are the freak! How can you treat Lego in that way!? I'm almost having a panic attack thinking about it...omg...omg...

:DD :metul: :attitude:
flis wrote:
My Lego was separated by colour, of course, and I had a big bucket full of various 'specials' and another with Technic stuff in it. No-one was allowed to touch my Lego.

Health chiefs propose new method for identifying obsessive compulsive disorders in early childhood.
Lego monsters and spaceships and stuff need mixing up their colours or they look far too professional.

though we had a disproportionate amount of yellow, black and grey Lego, so we often ended up having quite uniform spaceships... though when we built a Death Star that was about two foot tall, we used anything we could get our hands on.

Also, Escher in Lego can be found at: http://www.andrewlipson.com/lego.htm (they're near the bottom).
Formula 1 Lego:

That is cool... if not a littlew kinky
I invite your scorn and admiration with these shots of (some of) the boxes of (some of) my lego collection

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/johnbonmatthews/Lego#5252567349400010194
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/johnbonmatthews/Lego#5252567349133754450

Somehow missing from the shot are a couple of AT-ATs and Star Destroyers. Which are wicked.
I loved Pirate Lego. I used to have the port, the big pirate ship, the RN sloop and a little treasure island. I used to line up the soldiers double rank style, and I made a smart frigate out of the pirate ship, and a pirate junk out of the smaller one. They had holds and gun decks and aft-cabins and galleys. They looked aceness.

Wish I had my pirate lego still, I'd make a most awesome RN sloop now. :(
Page 1 of 16 [ 797 posts ]