Ghost in the Shell
2nd Gig
+ Beer!
I'm watching the episode Make Up, and it's brilliant. The whole of Second Gig, so far, is brilliant.
If your into this shit enough to understand the title, buy it.

DISCLAIMER: I'm very drunk. Very.
I'll have to watch this episode again, or I'll not remember it.

DISCLAIMER 2: It's still very good.
Hmm, fuck. Just got to the end
. Is the real Paszou dead?

|possibly,.
The end music is ace. It echoes i9n surround sound. Plus Tachcomsa lives! Whee!
Have you ever played the slightly obscure PSX game?
I've played the PSX game with the tachcoma, but not the PS2 game with the actual characters in.
The episode "Another Chance" has just finished, but I've been so angry with a mod-type-thing that I've watched none of it. Literally none of it. It's just been noise. Bah.
I just bought Gig one for a mate - I hope that's good too.

I've only seen the film, which was aces.
1st gig is also very good. I officially have no recall of watching this last night.

Grim... wrote:

|possibly,.

Jesus.
How do you have a baby and get that drunk?
The baby (and it's mother) was in Bedfordshire.
"Bedfordshire" usually means "bed" at home. :)
Grim... wrote:
1st gig is also very good. I officially have no recall of watching this last night.

Grim... wrote:

|possibly,.

Jesus.

Is this the first instance of someone managing to spoil something for themselves?
Mr Chris wrote:
"Bedfordshire" usually means "bed" at home. :)

Not if you come from Bedfordshire :)

Joans wrote:
Is this the first instance of someone managing to spoil something for themselves?

Haha, I didn't even notice that!
Paszou dies?
Oh wait - the 'real' Paszou? Hmm...
A new series of GitS is coming, called "Arise". It's a prequel to Stand Alone Complex, and it's out on BlooRay in Japania at the end of July.

Fuck.

Yeah.

http://kotaku.com/watch-the-first-8-min ... -513346473

(Hat tip to DavPaz on Facebook)
Tey not to spoiler this one for yourself.
It's a bit of a weird new format that's happening in Japan - instead of doing trad-episodic TV, cinematic one-offs or straight-to-DVD movies, none of which is profitable enough, they're doing 2-3 films on an annual cycle which open in cinemas, with the BluRay release almost immediately.

The current Evangelion sequel/reboot is doing the same (1.11 and 2.22 have got European BluRay releases, 3.0 opened in Japan a month or so back and SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY)
I HAZ IT!

I will watch it on the train tomorrow morning.
It's not rubbish! Hurrah!

It's not great, but it's certainly not bad - basically an extended version of something from 1st Gig. The fights are great (there's a particularly savage kick in the first one) and the animation is superb, especially in the way the main characters move about.
You has it?

I has it?
I'll upload a compressed MP4 later tonight. Japanese audio with subtitles okay?
Okay, it will be at http://www.fullonrobotchubby.co.uk/rand ... rder_1.m4v in about 13 minutes. It'll 404 until the upload is complete. It's 874MB. Subtitles aren't burnt in (so you'll have to switch them on).

Can I use 404 as a verb?
Fall asleep on the couch, you say? Oh no, certainly not!

Well, maybe a bit. Has! Thanks!
Border 2 has snuck out without me noticing. It's "being delivered" now!
Border 2? What was border 1?!
The first of the Arise films. There are going to be three.
BikNorton wrote:
Border 2? What was border 1?!

It was this:

BikNorton wrote:
Fall asleep on the couch, you say? Oh no, certainly not!

Well, maybe a bit. Has! Thanks!
ah right. Cool.

could you do me a solid, Grim...? I haven't set up pled yet.
No worries. I'll let you know where to get it.
Oh, cool - the evangelion 3.33 bluray is out in march too.
Okay, people who want Border 2 let me know.
Thanks.

That really wasn't very good, was it?
I've not actually watched it yet :(
Doh. Sorry. I dunno, might just be me. Didn't even enjoy tbbt or himym this evening.
Imagine if Hollywood did a live-action version of this. Who would be a good choice to play the Japanese lead? Maybe someone up and coming in the Kung Fu scene? Maybe someone a little older, like Maggie Q? Probably not Scarlett JohanOH MY GOD.
Maybe they'll CG in the Japanese equivalent of blackface, just to really rub it in.

See also: casting pasty white men as Moses and Ramses in Exodus. As Ridley Scott put it:

Quote:
I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.

Good job, everyone involved in that decision.
I expect the same people who outraged against the potentional of Idris Elba as Bond will do the same here.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Maybe they'll CG in the Japanese equivalent of blackface, just to really rub it in.

See also: casting pasty white men as Moses and Ramses in Exodus. As Ridley Scott put it:

Quote:
I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.

Jesus, was that an off-the-cuff remark?
DavPaz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Quote:

Jesus, was that an off-the-cuff remark?

It's an entirely correct one. We did a load of research into race in movies for ("a very big entertainment company" - Ed) and every demographic we tested was more likely to see a film the whiter the actors got.

Cracked even picked it up (although not with our research, apparently - it came from the University of Indiana and was suspiciously identical to ours): http://www.cracked.com/article_19549_5- ... ie_p2.html

[edit]Huh, it seems they only tested white people. That's odd, I'm sure they didn't say that before. Anyway, we tested everyone and found the same results no matter what the race of the participant.
Grim... wrote:
It's an entirely correct one.

You may need to qualify that.
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That's probably why I qualified that.
Grim... wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Ish. You also said 'entirely correct', which doesn't sit very well with me. I agree it's probably fiscally correct, but not morally or socially correct.
I think you'd really need to hear a comment that in full context, but I'm going to be charitable and assume that he said it despairingly, that "Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such" was him saying how the financiers would hear it.
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Ish. You also said 'entirely correct', which doesn't sit very well with me. I agree it's probably fiscally correct, but not morally or socially correct.

I must have missed where Mr Scott mentioned anything about morals. You don't have to shoe-horn your shiny new beliefs into every conversation man, it's quite tiring.
Grim... wrote:
You don't have to shoe-horn your shiny new beliefs into every conversation man, it's quite tiring.

They're not new beliefs, I just have the confidence to express them more openly these days.
Grim... wrote:
It's an entirely correct one. We did a load of research into race in movies for ("a very big entertainment company" - Ed) and every demographic we tested was more likely to see a film the whiter the actors got. [...] we tested everyone and found the same results no matter what the race of the participant.

For Western Cinema, yes? If, say, an India produced Bollywood movie starred an unknown white guy with no Hindi, will that make it better received in India?
DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
It's an entirely correct one. We did a load of research into race in movies for ("a very big entertainment company" - Ed) and every demographic we tested was more likely to see a film the whiter the actors got. [...] we tested everyone and found the same results no matter what the race of the participant.

For Western Cinema, yes? If, say, an India produced Bollywood movie starred an unknown white guy with no Hindi, will that make it better received in India?

We used unknowns (they were models, not actors) for everything, because obviously famous people change the results. But every country we tested (and India was among them) preferred the paler-skinned actors. They were all western models, certainly (although of different race - there was an anglo-chinese guy, for sure (not me)), and the pretend titles were all in English.

I think having pale skin is a beauty thing in India, anyway.
Future Warrior wrote:
Grim... wrote:
You don't have to shoe-horn your shiny new beliefs into every conversation man, it's quite tiring.

They're not new beliefs, I just have the confidence to express them more openly these days.

It is coming across a lot like someone who has just converted to full on Born Again Christianity. That is to say highly judgmental and constant.

Which is, as mentioned, quite tiring to deal with.
Mr Dave wrote:
Which is, as mentioned, quite tiring to deal with.

Yes, you're right. It is tiring for me too. It won't stop me though. You know what to do if you don't like it though. :)

-edit- also, your analogy isn't quite accurate. It's more like someone being a Christian all their life but keeping it to themselves because they've been conditioned to think it's abnormal and not being a 'real man' etc. I've always hated 'lad-culture', racism etc. But I've stood idly by in the past and even tried to fit in with that due to peer pressure, but it's just not me. I've been through the realisation stage and now I'm at the stage where I'm confident calling it out when I see it. I won't always be right, but I will challenge what I deem to be unacceptable. It helps that due to issues like Ched Evans and GG I've managed to find a raft of like-minded people and it's given me the confidence to be more open about it.
Page 1 of 5 [ 244 posts ]