Chromecast - Google's Apple TV rival
Want
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/24/chro ... nd-tech-h/

It allows you to stream content from Android, iOS and Chrome and it's really cheap. MUST HAVE.
Colour me somewhat intrigued.

The name isn't great though. "Chromecast" doesn't make me thing "TV streaming dongle thingy" particularly. It does make me think of "Thronecast", the wonky Sky Atlantic TV show though, which in turn is making me think of "Game of Chromes", which is stupid.
Kinda want, but not sure why...
I love the idea of flinging youtube and netflix at my TV. You can send web browser screens from a PC/Mac as well, I believe
Cool, another way of Google gaining access to all your data.

Have they deleted all the stuff gathered from their Google vans from unsecured wireless access points yet?
They've got a full inventory of your tin hat collection
DavPaz wrote:
They've got a full inventory of your tin hat collection

It's not a conspiracy theory if it's actually happening:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... ivate-data

As far as I've read, they still haven't deleted all this data.
So they know your SSID? So what? I could get that from the street outside your house as well.
In addition to the SSID, the cars were also recording the actual traffic on the wifi network if it was unsecured.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
In addition to the SSID, the cars were also recording the actual traffic on the wifi network if it was unsecured.

Pah. You get what you deserve
DavPaz wrote:
So they know your SSID? So what? I could get that from the street outside your house as well.

I bet you could get one of them, yes.
SilentElk wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I bet you could get one of them, yes.

Much the same as Google could then?
DavPaz wrote:

It's not the point, is it? It's just one example of their laissez-faire attitude to user data and privacy.
But if you use the *default* protection that comes with your router, they can't collect any more than someone walking past with a smartphone
Look at it this way: Does it annoy you that people can read your house number? Or see through your front window?
I suppose it depends on whether you believe if I left my door unlocked and someone burgled my house, whose fault it was.

I'd say a bit of both. Yes, people shouldn't be leaving their wifi unsecured, but at the same time I see no reason for them collecting this data except for nefarious reasons.

If it wasn't an accident, why hadn't they deleted it three years later, despite ICO demanding them to do so?

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/06/ico-go ... s-or-else/
I don't for a second think that it was an accident :)
DavPaz wrote:
I don't for a second think that it was an accident :)

So Google lied about it? Even worse.
It amuses me that people think my browsing habits are worth snooping on.
TheVision wrote:

Yeah, from my records you haven't googled anything interesting in ages.
Trooper wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Drums
Gamecube games
Zelda
Drums
Baby forums
Game box dust covers
Praise bot firmware update
SilentElk wrote:
Trooper wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Drums
Gamecube games
Zelda
Drums
Baby forums
Game box dust covers
Praise bot firmware update

PHPBB mod controls
SilentElk wrote:
Game box dust covers

So you HAVE been snooping on me!
What I actually want is them to make a Nexus Netbook, rocking Android. Windows isn't great for a small laptop, and I want something lightweight & cheap. A Chromebook could work, but I'd prefer the versatility of Android.

Edit: and I think that something similar to the current Samsung ARM Chromebooks, but with a touchscreen and running android instead, would be ideal for me.
SilentElk wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

It's not the point, is it? It's just one example of their laissez-faire attitude to user data and privacy.

Get out.
SilentElk wrote:
I suppose it depends on whether you believe if I left my door unlocked and someone burgled my house, whose fault it was.
I consider it more along the lines of you standing in the street throwing your bank statements in their face as they walked past, but they didn't really need to pick them up and take them home.
Does anybody know if there is anywhere that it’s better to get a Chromecast from or are the prices all much of a muchness?
Argos or Currys do one for £30 at the moment.
It's £25 with free delivery from the official Google site:

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast
That’s perfect. Thanks both, I’ll send her the link so she can choose whether to get it today or wait to save £5.

Ta both x
The Chromecast with Google TV is getting an update with the feature that I've been hoping for: Match Frame Rate to content. It's about time, Google

https://9to5google.com/2021/07/16/andro ... es-design/
MaliA wrote:
Who?

He mostly went by "Mop"
Myppydippydation
To me, he'll always be MrChunks
Badger faced wizard
Attachment:
Screenshot_20220123-210520.png

Attachment:
Screenshot_20220123-211034.png

Why would I not be able to cast to living room TV from the photos app? It's a hd one given away last year by Google because of my music subscription. Whereas the one on Seb's TV is much older.
Page 1 of 1 [ 42 posts ]