The Movie topic
...as there is none
The Amazing Spider-Man is pretty good. Solid performances all round, a pretty tight storyline and a fairly restrained level of "cheese."

The only downside I can think of, and it's not really a problem with the film but more my stupid brain, is that the first-person view sequences where Spidey is flying about the city left me feeling a bit nauseated.
Morte wrote:
Worlds Greatest Dad is a thing of splendidness

Just seen Goldthwaites follow up 'God Bless America' which isn't as successful but worth a watch if you like his previous work (Police Academy films not withstanding).

Will check it out!

Edit: Hey it has Joel Murray in it - Bill's brother. He any good?
I might be a nostalgic idiot, by One Night in Turin has me enchanted
Just watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, it was great :D
Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang is outstanding. Written/directed by Shane Black. He's awesome.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang is outstanding. Written/directed by Shane Black. He's awesome.

Oooh, he is the guy who did Last Action Hero, another great film :D
Don't you mean The Last Boy Scout? I think he just wrote that though - it's a Tony Scott film IIRC.

Edit: We're both right! Yay!
He wrote Last Action Hero, Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodbye, The Last Boy Scout, and maybe more. Then he quit Hollywood for a decade. Then he wrote/directed Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. And he's on to write/direct Iron Man 3, which is ridiculously exciting.
Shane Black? He was Poncho in Predator, wasn't he?
GazChap wrote:

He was indeed.
WTB wrote:
Morte wrote:
Worlds Greatest Dad is a thing of splendidness

Just seen Goldthwaites follow up 'God Bless America' which isn't as successful but worth a watch if you like his previous work (Police Academy films not withstanding).

Will check it out!

Edit: Hey it has Joel Murray in it - Bill's brother. He any good?

He's excellent in it, the film is just a bit uneven.
Trooper wrote:
GazChap wrote:

He was indeed.

I thought he was Hawkins.
Pundabaya wrote:
Trooper wrote:
GazChap wrote:

He was indeed.

I thought he was Hawkins.

Hmmm could be, I haven't seen it in years, he was in it though for sure.
He was Hawkins. Memory failure.
Finally watched "Taken" last night, seems to me it should have been called "Liam Neeson punches Europe in the FACE"

The interesting (not so) sub text is "Hey America, do not leave US borders as the rest of the world is full of forrins who will kidnap, drug and rape you"
I thought Taken was alright if you just accept it for what it is, a reasonable action flick with Liam Neeson looking all gritty and cross.

The EXTENDED HARDER CUT has more torture in it. But torture is fine when it's in defence of the free world, where such things as torture are not allowed. Erm, hang on.

(See also, 24.)
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I thought Taken was alright if you just accept it for what it is, a reasonable action flick with Liam Neeson looking all gritty and cross.

Indeed. Any socio-political subtext I read was that people trafficking is a very real danger, and generally masterminded by Eastern European gangs. My reading of Misha Glenny's work backs this up. Worth contrasting with Lilya 4 Ever, in which we see what can happen when you don't have a superhero dad to save you.
In the last couple of weeks, I've watched three films from this film spoiler t-shirt. Not intentionally.. they're just films I've picked up recently.

The Others. Good little ghost story. I kept having to turn the volume up to catch what Nicole Kidman was saying though.
A Beautiful Mind. Pretty good. Although knowing the twist beforehand affected me enjoyment of it slightly.
Fight Club. Very good. I'd avoided this film for ages, partly based on the title and the preconception of the film it gave me.

Also watched Rambo recently, which had some impressive blood-spurting, if little else. Predictable, but I enjoyed it.
The Amazing Spider-Man was really good, much better than the last reboot. I do wish they'd fuck off spoilering films immediately beforehand with that 'From The Red Carpet' shit though.

Dark Knight Rises looks pretty awesome.

Another trailed film looked good too, but I can't remember what it was. Doh.

Excellently, despite it being a packed auditorium, it went pretty much few conversation-free a seconds into the film and I was almost totally unhassled by GLARING PHONE SCREENS OF RAGE. I can only assume because O2 was fucked.
Watched Drive last night with Pauline, we both really enjoyed it, we felt it had a very "Grand Torino" feel to it

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
and we were glad it didn't end up the same way, which we felt it was going to

Malc
Note to self: don't watch Gran Torino.
MaliA wrote:

Gran Torino is ace. It's Up, but with Clint Eastwood.
MaliA wrote:

No, do watch Gran Torino...
21 Jump Street.

Astonishingly, really bloody funny.
Some quick reviews because I'm too drunk for anything else.

Bunny and the Bull: surprisingly affecting at the end, but not enough 'funny' to back up the 'whimsical' which unbalances it enough to drown out the genuinely good performances throughout.
A Day In The Life: Holy shitting motherfucking god in heaven. Just don't, not even for the comedy factor (as I did). Fans of House may find some amusement in it but, trust me, it's not worth it.
Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame: mostly awful, with a very small amount of imagination. I was looking forward to this so am very disappointed in it.
The Informant: excellent stuff, subtly amusing and slightly weird (due to Matt Damon acting goodness).
NEDS: brilliant stuff; no superlative is good enough. Just shut up and watch it you fools.
I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night. I had never seen an Indiana Jones film before. Contrary to what you must now be thinking, I do not live under a rock.
YOG wrote:
I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last night. I had never seen an Indiana Jones film before. Contrary to what you must now be thinking, I do not live under a rock.

That's a Bond film, right?
Hell http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1643222/

Started off tense as hell & could've been a good film, but it turned a bit crap halfway through & didn't improve any.
I watched Paul recently, well most of it. Utter gash.

I did enjoy Attack the Block though, it's great fun in a made-for-tv kinda way.
"From the director of The Day After Tomorrow and 2012" is enough to send me running for the hills from that.
MaliA wrote:

Please watch Gran Torino, it's bloody brilliant.

And absolutely nothing like Drive. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
He wrote Last Action Hero, Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodbye, The Last Boy Scout, and maybe more. Then he quit Hollywood for a decade. Then he wrote/directed Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. And he's on to write/direct Iron Man 3, which is ridiculously exciting.

Oh my God! Really? I am super excited now.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was my fave film of that year! :D
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is probably one of my favourite films ever.
I have not seen it. I shall fix that soon.

To the "video rental store"!
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang = <3
The Expendables is fucking awesome.
MaliA wrote:

o/
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:

o/

\o

It begins by being awesome, then gets more and more so. It's fantastic.
Zardoz wrote:
I did enjoy Attack the Block though, it's great fun in a made-for-tv kinda way.

My little brother was in that. He played a soldier guy who burst out of a lift and arrested them or something. I'm not sure, I didn't see it myself.
It was written and directed by Joe Cornish, wasn't it? I still haven't seen it.
The Last Salmon Man wrote:

Written by. I think Edgar Wright directed maybe?
Mr Russell wrote:
The Last Salmon Man wrote:

Written by. I think Edgar Wright directed maybe?

Not according to IMDB - Wright was Executive Producer (ie did fuck all).
Just seen a trailer for Looper. Could be good.
GazChap wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:

o/

\o

It begins by being awesome, then gets more and more so. It's fantastic.

The best quote from The Expendables isn't even said by a person.

Terry Crews' Big Fucking Gun wrote:
BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Hell, yeah,. I don't think I've enjoyed a film as much in ages. You can shove your "I'm reading stories to a pensioner" films up your arse, this is real good stuff.
I love shit, stupid films but I thought it was just a load of tedious, sub-Segal tat which relied far too much on who was in it.
MaliA's just over compensating for all the dance/chic flicks he watches.
Zardoz wrote:
MaliA's just over compensating for all the dance/chic flicks he watches.

One of my most vivid memories/recurring nightmares is of being in a bar in Manchester with MaliA whilst he teaches me two dance moves and then dances with me and proclaims "You're now Julia Stiles"
We watched Hot Tub Time Machine last night. Awesome, especially one bit towards the end that had me absolutely bellowing with laughter for a couple of minutes.
It had some good scenes but it wasn't as good as my colleagues had said.
Page 136 of 423 [ 21125 posts ]