Today I learned...
Shortcuts and other animals...
That when in a web browser, F6 highlights the text in the address bar.

Useful
I learnt that if you set your status on Xbox Live to 'Busy', you no longer get the messages pop up when friends come online (the achievement ones stay).
myoptikakaka wrote:
I learnt that if you set your status on Xbox Live to 'Busy', you no longer get the messages pop up when friends come online (the achievement ones stay).

Really? Now that *is* useful.
DavPaz wrote:

Useful

Liar liar pants on fire. It lowers the keyboard illumination. Now go and stand with Mr Chris on the wrong step.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Useful

Liar liar pants on fire. It lowers the keyboard illumination. Now go and stand with Mr Chris on the wrong step.

Sorry, it must only apply to grown up's machines ;)

edit: Yeah, so that's windows only, it seems. Sorry, Mac fans.
F3 repeats the last text you tried to find on a page (in Chrome, at least).

And I know most people know this one, but CTRL+Shift+T re-opens the last tab you closed.
And whilst we're sharing...

WindowsKey + E opens Windows Explorer
WindowsKey + Pause/Break opens System Properties
You all learned these things today, eh?

Porkies.
Warhead wrote:
Porkies.

:?:
DavPaz wrote:
edit: Yeah, so that's windows only, it seems. Sorry, Mac fans.
Ctrl or Cmd K or L, on the other hand, work in almost all browsers and OSs.
I learnt that I could store my phone contents in google...
DavPaz wrote:

+M minimises all windows
Curiosity wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

+M minimises all windows

I never knew that System Properties one - that's pretty useful for my job!
Curiosity wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

+M minimises all windows

+D is better, because you can press +D again to get them back.

+left cursor and +right cursor let you move a window to "half screen mode" on Win7, and are the only way to get the window to "dock" to the inner side of a multi-monitor setup.
+up maximises and +down restores and then minimises.
DavPaz wrote:
Sorry, it must only apply to grown up's machines ;)

Windows Key + L locks the machine (Saves all that tedious <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> and selecting 'Lock this computer' faffing around).
Windows Key +D +V conjures up a weird feeling of Deja Vu that we had this exact thread about a month ago...
Malc74 wrote:
Windows Key +D +V conjures up a weird feeling of Deja Vu that we had this exact thread about a month ago...

Whereas Windows Key +V +D conjures up a weird feeling of having an anti-social disease.
Grim... wrote:
left cursor and +right cursor let you move a window to "half screen mode" on Win7, and are the only way to get the window to "dock" to the inner side of a multi-monitor setup.

Not on my machine they don't.
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
left cursor and +right cursor let you move a window to "half screen mode" on Win7, and are the only way to get the window to "dock" to the inner side of a multi-monitor setup.

Windows key + arrow, right?
They do on mine. I'd be surprised if it's different for different versions (Home, Pro, etc).

Warhead wrote:
Windows Key + L locks the machine (Saves all that tedious <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> and selecting 'Lock this computer' faffing around).

Depending on your settings, this can also log you off.
Today I learned that the world as I have been seeing it since I was 8 years old has been totally wrong.

Had contacts fitted for my short sightedness and astigmatism and freaked the Fuck out.
It turns out that everything is 1/3 bigger than I think it is. This revelation hit me when I was swearing at my kittens for going on the keyboard and changing my screen resolution, only it was right, magnifier OK at 100%, text size small... HOLY JESUS MY MONITER WHAT THE FUCK OH SHIT GIANT KITTENS and so on. ?:|
DavPaz wrote:

Useful

It's more of a 'jump to the top' kinda thing, as in a default installation of Firefox (with the tabs on top), F6 will take you to the tabs where you can use the keys to navigate them. I used to use it to switch to the address bar, so when googling to fix it, the answer seems to be 'put the tabs back underneath'.
That it is possible for pregnant women to look hot.

Twice!
devilman wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Useful

It's more of a 'jump to the top' kinda thing, as in a default installation of Firefox (with the tabs on top), F6 will take you to the tabs where you can use the keys to navigate them. I used to use it to switch to the address bar, so when googling to fix it, the answer seems to be 'put the tabs back underneath'.

Alt+D does the "select text in the address bar" no matter how many tabs you have opened, use that all the time. Along with ctrl+enter to fill in www. and .com around whichever dot com I want to go to. (so type hotmail, press ctrl+enter).
Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Windows key + arrow, right?
They do on mine. I'd be surprised if it's different for different versions (Home, Pro, etc).

It certainly works on my copy of Win7 Home, and it's really bloody useful when I've got my other monitor switched off and a program decides to open up there.
Decca wrote:
Today I learned that the world as I have been seeing it since I was 8 years old has been totally wrong.

Had contacts fitted for my short sightedness and astigmatism and freaked the Fuck out.
It turns out that everything is 1/3 bigger than I think it is. This revelation hit me when I was swearing at my kittens for going on the keyboard and changing my screen resolution, only it was right, magnifier OK at 100%, text size small... HOLY JESUS MY MONITER WHAT THE FUCK OH SHIT GIANT KITTENS and so on. ?:|

Heh, I'm short-sighted and have astigmatism and was born with a squint that, curtesy of surgery performed on my left eye when I was about three, can be controlled at will (it's also left me with one eye appearing bigger than the other, which is another reason I wear glasses instead of contacts, as it's less noticeable). Anyway, when I'm really tired and can't control the squint so well, I always get 'small vision', where everything suddenly appears much smaller than it should. Used to really freak me out when I was a nipper.
That Samuel Beckett used to drive André the Giant to school

http://historicalmeetups.com/post/15245 ... -and-nobel
Embarrassingly, I only discovered recently that Ctrl+Shift+Esc opens the task manager. I always used to Ctrl+Alt+Del and then click on the option. At least, I have done since the newer versions of Windows forced you to do that.
That's a new one on me.

Ta, Jahoney!
Not today, but this week:

Windows key + E opens Explorer, rather than right clicking the Start button and clicking Open.
Ctrl-Shift-Esc has been around since Windows 3.1.

Man, you lot make me feel old.
I have learnt OneNote is kinda awesome...
Longines Symphonette wrote:
Windows key + E opens Explorer, rather than right clicking the Start button and clicking Open.

I... Really? Come on!

Alt+tab lets you cycle through running programs, you know ;)

(In "not useful but interesting" news, Windows + Tab gets you a 3D flippy thing, and holding down left alt, tapping right alt (don't let go of left alt) and then pressing tab in Win7 gets you the old XP prompt).
Grim... wrote:
Longines Symphonette wrote:

I... Really? Come on!

Alt+tab lets you cycle through running programs, you know ;)

Hey, it's not like I ever had a windows manual or anything.

Ooh, another one: ctrl+k auto finds the closest name from your address book in outlook if you just type a bit if name in the To: box.

Again, everyone else probably learned this in the womb.
Today I learned that 'permenant' marker pen can be removed from hard surfaces by covering it with dry wipe marker and wiping clean.

VOODOO!
DavPaz wrote:
Today I learned that 'permenant' marker pen can be removed from hard surfaces by covering it with dry wipe marker and wiping clean.

VOODOO!
Spray deodorant usually works too (same solvent chemical), and is generally more convenient.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

VOODOO!
Spray deodorant usually works too (same solvent chemical), and is generally more convenient.

And pleasantly fragranced :)
I used to use deodorant on pre owned games when I worked at Game. We were supposed to write over the barcode with permanent marker to show they were second hand but one quick wipe with some Asda Lynx knock off, and it was gone.

You could then refund the game as brand new. Genius!
Today I learned that the 'B' end of standard USB cable fits nicely into an RJ45 socket. Especially when you groping blind behind a printer.

:facepalm:
Today I learned something about the Toblerone Logo

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It's a bear!
Hah, brilliant!

I assume everyone is familiar with the FedEx logo, which is my favourite of all these "hidden feature" designs?

http://articlesandtexticles.co.uk/imgs/0609/fedex01sm.gif

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

EDIT: linkifyed, rather than inlined, the images, as Gilly says it trigger her workplace web filter. Images are totally SFW but I suppose the hosting site must have some other dodgy content on it.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hah, brilliant!

I assume everyone is familiar with the FedEx logo, which is my favourite of all these "hidden feature" designs?

Story here.[/spoiler]

EEk! what website is that, I'm on a work pc and it blocked for nudity! Jings.. might be best logging off now :S
Edited: Removed blocked pic

Why traffic jams suddenly appear on motorways for no apparent reason.
Gilly wrote:
EEk! what website is that, I'm on a work pc and it blocked for nudity! Jings.. might be best logging off now :S
Erm, just some random one that turned up in Google Image. I;'ll edit the original post.
MaliA wrote:

Why traffic jams suddenly appear on motorways for no apparent reason.

People drive too close, brake too hard.
Page 1 of 4 [ 171 posts ]