Cutting thine own hair
I travel too much and can never seem to get to the barber when it is open.

As a result I have become frustrated enough to buy a set of hair clippers from Tesco this evening.

They are charging up now. Anyone ever cut their own hair, and have you got any advice. I'm not going to muck about with the scissors, just probably go for number three back and sides and see how a number eight looks on top.

I may end up with a wedge. And the back might look rubbish as I have no rear mirror.
If you're doing it yourself, I'd do the same all over. Otherwise, getting an even line separating sides from top could be tricky.
The same length all over is, obviously, easier.
My advice to you is, unfortunately, buy good clippers that are mains-powered.
I've got some Remington ones. If I like them a lot I'll buy the company.
Charging up! Fool!

One day you will have half a haircut.

Cheapest. Wahl. Mains powered. Done.
Oh, they're probably okay. I thought you had Tesco's own.
I got a low-end hairdressers set, and the difference was quite impressive.
Zardoz wrote:
Charging up! Fool!

People not to take advice from on haircuts: Zardoz.
Yeah, same all over for your first few goes at least, particularly if you've no rear view mirror, or no wife to tidy that shit up at the back. Gave myself a number one yesterday while the GP was on. From itchy, sweaty bonce to feeling the breeze across my pores in fifteen minutes.

/edit - This is my set:

http://uk.remington-europe.com/men/groo ... hc365.html

and you do get EVERYTHING with it:

Advanced Ceramic Coated Blades
Self–sharpening blades
8 combs for different hair lengths (3 – 25 mm)
Taper lever for precise cutting lengths
Cord / cordless
Up to 40 mins of cordless usage
Charging indicator light
Lube for life: blades never need oiling
Storage case, sectioning clips, hairdressers cape, comb, scissors and neck brush
I'm pretty sure I'm going to shave my head completely this week.
As opposed to only shaving a bit of it?
Zardoz wrote:
Charging up! Fool!

This once happened to myp.

As he got ready to go to curiositys wedding. When he was staying at my house. 150 miles away from his charger.
Happened to me once, too.
Craster wrote:
If you're doing it yourself, I'd do the same all over.
A mullet is probably quite easy too & it would save you doing the hand across the back of your heid thing to get a half decent line there* :DD
*Fannying around with mirrors is too much hassle.
Grim... wrote:
Happened to me once, too.

Did you learn the lesson (as did myp) to not shave one side of your face completely before starting on the other side?
Craster wrote:
People not to take advice from on haircuts: Zardoz.

Haircuts maybe, but I'm an expert on clippers. Anyway Vidal, you're hardly in any position to judge.
Oh yay! I have the same set as GY. I'm going to go crazy soon. If you're lucky I'll do pics.

And maybe I'll try the same length all over first.
Definitely try all over one length first! I've cut my own hair LOADS (not with clippers!)

Stupid long hair surcharge nonsense.
I do, length 2 for sideys and very very bottom of the back. 8 for the top, but not every time, let that grow occasionally, and 6 up the sides. Then trim fringe with scissors and I'm away. Sometimes it's alright, sometimes not, but it always grows to be just fine. If you have sideys, careful with the level 2, just occasionally it goes a bit further up than I expected. But then, I don't do it in front of a mirror, so perhaps the tip is - do it in front of a mirror to start with.
Grim... wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to shave my head completely this week.

You currently have a flat top right? That is after all why you are our leader.
When your clippers break, they will, buy Wahl next time. By far the best ive ever bought and ive bought a lot
Yeah, mine are Wahl. Solid.
I was looking online at Wahl ones. But then I paid the same price for the Remingtons in store and I own them now rather than having to wait.
Fancied going 'fuzzyhead' a few weeks back using a Wahl home clipper kit from the back of the cupboard, but my girlfriend refused to use it on me. Even teared up when I put the kit's crap scissors to my hair. Doesn't like the idea at all. Did have my hair cut at the weekend actually (had a conversation with the hairdresser girl about Team 17's Worms, oblig. gaming reference) but just a normal trim this time.
Ramsea wrote:
When your clippers break, they will, buy Wahl next time. By far the best ive ever bought and ive bought a lot

:this:
I've had lots of clippers, but only one set of Wahls.
A guy I sit next to at work has had his haircut twice in as many weeks. The shocking thing is, he gets it done at lunch, it costs him £18 and unless we knew where he was going we'd never have known he'd had his haircut. I offered him a proper cut for free but he doesnt think his girl friend would like it. Pussy I reckon.
Mimi wrote:

A what now?
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mimi wrote:

A what now?

That's right.

It would cost me more to have a straight line cut at the bottom of my hair than it would for a complete cut and restyle as it was too long.

Now it is even longer because I walked away.

I am still annoyed by this (some months later).
Mimi wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mimi wrote:

A what now?

That's right.

It would cost me more to have a straight line cut at the bottom of my hair than it would for a complete cut and restyle as it was too long.

Now it is even longer because I walked away.

I am still annoyed by this (some months later).

That's disgusting. I've only ever been charged a bit more when having fools, which is fair enough as they are using more product. Your experience just doesn't make any rational sense!
Foils! Stupid phone...
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
I've only ever been charged a bit more when having fools

You had your hair cut during childbirth? ;)
No, it makes no sense. I think she thought she could get away with getting more money off of me, but when j mentioned it on Twitter quite a fee girls nodded knowingly. The 'long hair tax' one of them called it.
Is Russ silently weeping about his hair now? Make sure the guard doesn't slip, Chick!
That's the typical thing in German hairdressers, apparently.

Speaking of Germans, I cut my girlfriend's hair once, using proper scissors. Only meant to be a trim, but as I'm untrained, I cut the hair not-exactly-straight across, and kept correcting with odd snips until hair hair barely touched her shoulders. So, 30cm off or something. She's never asked me to trim her hair at home again, for some reason. :shrug:
Anonymous X wrote:
Speaking of Germans, I cut my girlfriend's hair once, using proper scissors. Only meant to be a trim, but as I'm untrained, I cut the hair not-exactly-straight across, and kept correcting with odd snips until hair hair barely touched her shoulders. So, 30cm off or something. She's never asked me to trim her hair at home again, for some reason. :shrug:

Are you Ramsea?

I was overcome by a moment of madness, lack of money and being 19. Never, ever again....I think I may have cried, I blocked most of it out....it was horrific. Men, never cut your significant others hair.
Wahl are the shizzle, especially if you adjust the blades to get them extra close! Even if i wasn't going bald I reckon id still do a 0 all over; it feels soooooo nice!
Mimi wrote:
Is Russ silently weeping about his hair now? Make sure the guard doesn't slip, Chick!

I haven't gone drastically short but I can't really see the back so hopefully it looks ok.

If I've done this right there should be three attachments. Long hair, long hair mussed everywhere, and post cut hair (excuse shirtlessness. Hair was EVERYWHERE)
pupil wrote:
Wahl are the shizzle, especially if you adjust the blades to get them extra close!
I actually use mine straight down with the teeth pressed against my head rather than the 'flat' of the blade.
pupil wrote:
Even if i wasn't going bald I reckon id still do a 0 all over; it feels soooooo nice!

:this: I really can't be arsed with hair. Good job really :DD
When are you cutting your hair, Russ?
This appears to be the son of Kevin Turvey using the Babyliss Easycut.

I'd get one if Mrs. WH didn't threaten to disown me whenever I have anything more than a trim of my ken Barlow like locks.
Zardoz wrote:
pupil wrote:
Wahl are the shizzle, especially if you adjust the blades to get them extra close!
I actually use mine straight down with the teeth pressed against my head rather than the 'flat' of the blade.
pupil wrote:
Even if i wasn't going bald I reckon id still do a 0 all over; it feels soooooo nice!

:this: I really can't be arsed with hair. Good job really :DD

I use these beasties http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-8110-Professional-Balding-Clipper/dp/B000VVT94G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309217318&sr=8-1

Cut bloody close, with emphasis on the bloody if you're not careful! Almost as close as a wet shave without the hassle. I've had mine for a few years now and haven't regretted them once.
flis wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:

Are you Ramsea?

I was overcome by a moment of madness, lack of money and being 19. Never, ever again....I think I may have cried, I blocked most of it out....it was horrific. Men, never cut your significant others hair.

and....hahahahaahaha, oh how I laughed (not within hearing distant mind)...Im definitely not a hair dresser...more a hair terminator.
Hey! That's not a bad job at all, Russ! Looks pretty great in fact.

Mind you, I think the middle picture is the best :p
Shoes? Haircuts? Take That? COLDPLAY?

Sometimes, Beex, it's like I just don't know you anymore...
I like the end one, I like the Cameron Diaz thing he's got going on with his fringe.
DavPaz wrote:
Shoes? Haircuts? Take That? COLDPLAY?

Sometimes, Beex, it's like I just don't know you anymore...

At least my haircut was a manly shearing of my own head. :(
markg wrote:
I like the end one, I like the Cameron Diaz thing he's got going on with his fringe.

Oh yeah, I hate hair on my forehead, so I flick it up like TinTin.
Ramsea wrote:
I use these beasties http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-8110-Professional-Balding-Clipper/dp/B000VVT94G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309217318&sr=8-1

Cut bloody close, with emphasis on the bloody if you're not careful! Almost as close as a wet shave without the hassle. I've had mine for a few years now and haven't regretted them once.

Yep, that's what I've got. Fantastic clippers! I'm scared to try them "teeth on the skin" style like Zardoz though, I think I'd tear my head to bits!?!
Test on a small patch of your head first, Our Kid.

Those clippers look awesome. I've only ever bought cheap Wahls but they last for ages.
Page 1 of 2 [ 88 posts ]